Jevon Thomas - PG - OSNA - Rosedale, NY - KANSAS STATE

• 378 replies
Re: Jevon Thomas - PG - OSNA - Rosedale, NY - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #100 on: May 01, 2011, 09:15:19 AM »
Jevon going to Quality Education Academy next year?

Moose

« Reply #101 on: May 01, 2011, 12:47:36 PM »

Exactly what I mentioned in the QEA article where Coach Pitts mentioned a NYC player he couldnt specifically comment on.  Not shocked.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #102 on: May 01, 2011, 12:51:28 PM »

Exactly what I mentioned in the QEA article where Coach Pitts mentioned a NYC player he couldnt specifically comment on.  Not shocked.

Ya thats the first name that came to my mind when I read that article

Moose

« Reply #103 on: May 01, 2011, 01:24:40 PM »

Marco where did you see it official?
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #104 on: May 01, 2011, 01:25:50 PM »

Marco where did you see it official?

Oh I didnt see it anywhere, just guessing-thats why I put the question mark

« Reply #105 on: May 01, 2011, 02:46:34 PM »
Jevon played in the EYBL in Dallas, per Evan Daniels:

Jevon Thomas, PG, Metro Hawks – An early commit to St. John’s, Thomas is an impressive floor general that has a good pace to his game. The 6-foot guard has a slight frame, but that didn’t stop him from using his body in the open court and once he made it to the rim. He has good speed, a nice mid-range jump shot and handles the ball well.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/1068828.html

« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 02:47:07 PM by fordham96 »

« Reply #106 on: May 04, 2011, 10:46:05 AM »
Scout released their updated rankings for the 2012 class. Jevon is #92. I'm a little disappointed with that. I'm expecting a stud PG.

« Reply #107 on: May 04, 2011, 11:32:43 AM »
Scout released their updated rankings for the 2012 class. Jevon is #92. I'm a little disappointed with that. I'm expecting a stud PG.

Don't be.  First off 92 is nothing to sneeze at especially considering the fact that the 2012 class is loaded and second he is the real deal.

He just needs to get his academics in order and he should be alright.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 12:04:07 PM by fordham96 »

« Reply #108 on: May 04, 2011, 11:36:44 AM »
A lot of people have opinions of Jevon in one extreme or the other. Love him or hate him.  I think it stems from style of play. I think Jevon inserts very well into what St. John's is looking to do.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #109 on: May 04, 2011, 12:22:03 PM »
exactly...a pure point surrounded by scorers
happy to have him

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #110 on: May 04, 2011, 12:24:05 PM »
Also: consider the kind of guard that ends up a highly ranked player - tall, physically sturdy guards or high scoring combo guards who aren't points at all (like Brandon Knight).  Very few pass-first PGs get up into the higher levels of the rankings... I think Naadir Tharpe's really good, but he's not a top-40 player b/c he's not that great of a scorer or that big. Kendall Marshall was one of the best freshmen in college ball, but was around a 30th ranked recruit (and he is tall).

If Jevon can handle, pass, lead a team while not getting clowned on defense, he sounds like a good fit. There are enough scorers on the team; the Johnnies are gonna need a facilitator.

« Reply #111 on: May 04, 2011, 12:27:43 PM »
exactly...a pure point surrounded by scorers
happy to have him

I wouldn't call him a "pure point" He's a scorer

« Reply #112 on: May 04, 2011, 01:51:42 PM »
Jevon is really really good.  Dave i would have to disagree , he is a very crafty ball handler and slick passer.  I believe he is ranked to low and will only get better.

« Reply #113 on: May 04, 2011, 04:18:27 PM »
Jevon is really really good.  Dave i would have to disagree , he is a very crafty ball handler and slick passer.  I believe he is ranked to low and will only get better.

I'm not dismissing his talents nor saying he isn't a good passer. To call him a "pure point" isn't exactly accurate. I think he's great and more than capable of running an offense especially in this system. There are others though that think he's too much of a scorers mentality, or he's too small, or there are others out there that are better. Put it this way a lot of that stuff was said about Kemba Walker too.

Marillac

« Reply #114 on: May 04, 2011, 06:41:45 PM »

I'm not dismissing his talents nor saying he isn't a good passer. To call him a "pure point" isn't exactly accurate. I think he's great and more than capable of running an offense especially in this system. There are others though that think he's too much of a scorers mentality, or he's too small, or there are others out there that are better. Put it this way a lot of that stuff was said about Kemba Walker too.

Pure points can have scoring ability.  I don't see the two as mutually exclusive. 

What concerns me about Thomas are the stats.  They don't seem to be very impessive....ever.  Never seen the kid play in person, but I've heard from reputable people that he is the goods.  I wonder why his stats aren't more impressive....style of play? talent around him?

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #115 on: May 04, 2011, 11:06:09 PM »

What concerns me about Thomas are the stats.  They don't seem to be very impessive....ever. 
I was looking at his stats from the EYBL... they're not impressive, for sure. But he's playing with a couple of Boys & Girls kids (undersized forwards) and one of his OSNA teammates. Not an elite collection of talent. But the numbers from those games are a little worrisome.

MCNPA

« Reply #116 on: May 06, 2011, 09:20:11 AM »
Everything I've heard is pointing to Jevon being not likely part of the 2012 class, but maybe needing more time and reclassifying to 2013.  I think it is why we are seeing Lavin offer guys like Soumaoro, Harrow etc. 

LJSA

« Reply #117 on: May 10, 2011, 10:35:20 PM »

What concerns me about Thomas are the stats.  They don't seem to be very impessive....ever. 
I was looking at his stats from the EYBL... they're not impressive, for sure. But he's playing with a couple of Boys & Girls kids (undersized forwards) and one of his OSNA teammates. Not an elite collection of talent. But the numbers from those games are a little worrisome.

OSNA has decent talent, but they lose a lot more games than they should, and none of their players ever seem to hit it big in college, which leads me to believe that the coach sucks.

Samardo was smart to escape there.

« Reply #118 on: May 13, 2011, 10:06:28 PM »
I saw Jevon play in the IS8 playoffs tonight. I was impressed. He has great handles, was the quickest player on the court, and what I liked the best was how eager he was to pass and get his teammates involved. He scored a decent amount, mostly by getting to the paint and drawing fouls. He also grabbed a bunch of rebounds for a small pg.

His team won btw, they led the whole game.

I know some people were concerned about his lack of stats in other games. There were numerous times in this game when he made a nice pass to a wide open shooter or to a big man down low who couldn't finish. I could easily see his numbers suffering from not playing with great teammates.

« Reply #119 on: May 14, 2011, 01:47:19 AM »
I saw Jevon play in the IS8 playoffs tonight. I was impressed. He has great handles, was the quickest player on the court, and what I liked the best was how eager he was to pass and get his teammates involved. He scored a decent amount, mostly by getting to the paint and drawing fouls. He also grabbed a bunch of rebounds for a small pg.

His team won btw, they led the whole game.

I know some people were concerned about his lack of stats in other games. There were numerous times in this game when he made a nice pass to a wide open shooter or to a big man down low who couldn't finish. I could easily see his numbers suffering from not playing with great teammates.

Good stuff...Thanks for the insights and letting us know what you saw