Jevon Thomas - PG - OSNA - Rosedale, NY - KANSAS STATE

• 378 replies

Moose

Re: Jevon Thomas - PG - OSNA - Rosedale, NY - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #80 on: November 22, 2010, 09:34:30 AM »
Jevon falling to 2013 would be DEVESTATING to this team's potential.

Devastating?
While it would suck, lets not go overboard.  I would have full faith in the staff figuring out an alternative.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Wods317

« Reply #81 on: November 22, 2010, 11:49:51 AM »
[tweet]http://twitter.com/rpurvis_44/status/28917518729[/tweet]

Any chance we contact him?  :D :P

Word to even have Purvis saying our name is huge.This young man looks better like he can play in the League already wow.
Purvis is talented.  Purvis and Shabazz Muhammad were coming to Louisville this weekend to check out the campus. His mother is in a relationship with his AAU coach.

It's entirely possible that Thomas may have to be a 2013 recruit.

What makes you think he could be 2013?

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #82 on: November 22, 2010, 12:40:12 PM »
Academic issues.

Marillac

« Reply #83 on: November 23, 2010, 01:40:51 AM »

Devastating?
While it would suck, lets not go overboard.  I would have full faith in the staff figuring out an alternative.

It's definitely a strong word, but, while I've never seen this kid play, a friend who I trust as much as anyonone told me this kid is an Erik Barkley talent that will start from day one ANYWHERE in the country--Duke, UNC, Kansas, anywhere.

PG's take less time to develop and usually hit the ground running.  Look back to that Uconn national championship team, El-Amin was only a soph and the great class before him did not become exceptional until El-Amin came aboard the year after.  I think Jevon could have that same effect. 

We are all thinking real big here...Final Four or better big...and we need a true pg to get there.  I just hope this kid gets it all straightened out.

Moose

« Reply #84 on: November 23, 2010, 08:55:33 AM »

Devastating?

It's definitely a strong word, but, while I've never seen this kid play, a friend who I trust as much as anyonone told me this kid is an Erik Barkley talent that will start from day one ANYWHERE in the country--Duke, UNC, Kansas, anywhere.

PG's take less time to develop and usually hit the ground running.  Look back to that Uconn national championship team, El-Amin was only a soph and the great class before him did not become exceptional until El-Amin came aboard the year after.  I think Jevon could have that same effect. 

We are all thinking real big here...Final Four or better big...and we need a true pg to get there.  I just hope this kid gets it all straightened out.

He's good no doubt.  From everything I've seen and been told.

The good news is he is 2012 right now and not 2011 so he has more time to get it all together.

« Reply #87 on: February 01, 2011, 12:34:39 AM »
When it comes to suffering, Jevon Thomas has seen plenty. When Thomas was a year old, his father cut out. When he was 12, his mother was deported. At 13, his brother and stepfather were murdered. He was raised by a sister who wasn't much older than he was.

"It was tough," he said. "It just...I don't know how to explain it. Things just didn't seem too good."
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/high_school/2011/01/31/2011-01-31_jevon_thomas_lebrent_walker_support_each_other_through_tough_times_now_thriving_.html
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 12:35:29 AM by jumpinjohnny »
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #88 on: February 01, 2011, 02:03:15 PM »
Great story. I am really rooting for this kid.

Hope he can focus on school this summer and not get caught up in AAU ball. Who cares where he is ranked.

« Reply #89 on: February 14, 2011, 01:42:43 AM »
He's got very good straight-ahead speed, a quality handle, and excellent court vision. The things he needs to improve upon are correctable with time: upper-body strength (in order to handle the rigors of penetrating and defending the one in the Big East) and being able to hit the floater in traffic, the mid-range, and three-point shots. Their staff is working with him on hitting the mid-range now--building out.

« Reply #90 on: February 23, 2011, 12:08:38 PM »
Per ESPN Recruiting (Premium)....  I'm sure someone has the full article.

Jevon Thomas emerging as elite PG

After catching the Presidental Hoopfest in Baltimore this past weekend, I wrote that St. John's fans should be excited about junior point guard Jevon Thomas (Queens, N.Y./Our Savior New American).

If Thomas continues to develop and play with the level of consisitentcy he showed this past weekend at the Hoopfest, he will have a chance to be added to the short list of elite point guards in the 2012 class and give St John's head coach Steve Lavin a point guard that can run his team and compete in the upper echelon of the Big East. It looks like Lavin was smart to jump on Thomas, who is a local player and has the makings of a very good team leader. Good players will want to play with this unselfish distributor.

Most of the time Thomas' game is subtle; he goes about his business of facilitating by initiating the offense or creating for teammates. He showed a few moments in his head-to-head matchup with highly-rated 2013 phenom Chris Thomas (Denver, Col./Princeton Day) that showed me Jevon Thomas has another gear he can go to, when pushed.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/blog?name=laplante_mike&id=6150418&ex_cid=nhffromfb&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncb%2fblog%3fname%3dlaplante_mike%26id%3d6150418%26ex_cid%3dnhffromfb
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 12:10:14 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #91 on: February 24, 2011, 05:11:23 PM »
Here is the rest of that article....

I also got a chance to meet with Jevon Thomas for a little bit after his game and he has a great demeanor. He is a humble, hard working young man that downplays when others try to prop him up and is not afraid to listen to ways he can improve his game. It seems like he is confident in his abilities, wants to let his play do the talking and is not worried about his rating/ranking. These are all qualities that will bode well for him in the future.

Overall, St John's is getting a solid leader and a lightning quick guard with the ball who can shoot it. It will be interesting to follow his progress through the spring and summer circuits to see if he progresses and makes the jump to the upper tier of the 2012 point guard group.

« Reply #92 on: April 10, 2011, 01:59:44 PM »
Per Rivals....

Jevon Thomas (2012, Metro Hawks)

A St. John's point guard commit, Thomas carved up the CIA Bounce defense in the open court and finished off his speedy bursts with timely and accurate passes

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1210169

Moose

« Reply #93 on: April 10, 2011, 02:11:47 PM »
Per Rivals....

Jevon Thomas (2012, Metro Hawks)

A St. John's point guard commit, Thomas carved up the CIA Bounce defense in the open court and finished off his speedy bursts with timely and accurate passes

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1210169

No more Gauchos?

« Reply #94 on: April 10, 2011, 02:25:36 PM »
No more Gauchos?

I wondered the same thing, Moose.  Maybe, he's playing with the Hawks now and will play with the Gauchos later.  Who knows!?! 

« Reply #95 on: April 10, 2011, 03:10:23 PM »
Team broke up. He's down this weekend with Metro Hawks but he might wind up with Juice or NY Elite.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Moose

« Reply #96 on: April 10, 2011, 04:54:50 PM »
Team broke up. He's down this weekend with Metro Hawks but he might wind up with Juice or NY Elite.

Broke up?

« Reply #97 on: April 23, 2011, 09:23:47 AM »
He played with Juice All Stars at the Pittsburgh Jam. Dave, did you see him play in Pitt? I know he's played in several AAU events this spring, and I barely get any updates or coverage on him. I'm getting a little worried his game is slipping. Any firsthand observations from last weekend?

sju89tr

« Reply #98 on: April 23, 2011, 01:09:12 PM »
I was told he was playing with Juice and Morton permanently now. Any chance he transfers to Lincoln?

Moose

« Reply #99 on: April 26, 2011, 11:07:35 AM »
Dave whats the story?  You and your posse go to Pitt and nobody sees Jevon play? :o :tickedoff: