Beejay Anya - PF - Dematha HS - Hyattsville, Md - NC STATE

• 50 replies
Beejay Anya - PF - Dematha HS - Hyattsville, Md - NC STATE
« on: December 13, 2010, 11:45:06 AM »
Not sure if we're looking at this kid or not but he is a beast. Really wide body guy but can move and get up really fast. He's only a sophomore and he's just beasting people.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 11:20:59 AM by jumpinjohnny »
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Re: Beejay Anya - PF - Dematha HS
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 12:12:28 AM »

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 12:52:11 AM »
He's a big baby davis style player who can play above the rim. I was really impressed with him when I initially started this thread. I'll see him over the summer for sure.

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 02:01:40 PM »
He almost brought down a rim this weekend. He also bodied up on Sim the 7'4 kid really well. It was fun seeing them go at it.

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 02:14:04 PM »
I knew a girl named Anya in college that this thread brought back fond memories of.  Just sayin'.

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 02:58:22 PM »
hahah ^^
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 03:12:12 PM »
Per ESPN Recruiting....

Surprise players

BeeJay Anya (Hyattsville, Md./DeMatha)
2013, C, 6-8, 275 pounds
The young post has the ability to dominate in the lane at times with his ability to score with his back to the basket and rebound at a high rate on both ends of the floor. Anya is tough, strong, physical and takes no prisoners when attacking the rim. He blocks shots in his area and can make the 10- to 12-foot jumper with needed time and space. Anya will need to pay close attention to his conditioning, but he can flat-out score inside and rebound. Anya says he is hearing from Texas, Pittsburgh, St. John's, Georgetown and Maryland to name a few.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=6381238

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 11:54:40 PM »
[tweet]http://twitter.com/JohnnyJungleSTJ/status/60550307654017024[/tweet]

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 06:28:30 PM »
Coach Jones mentioned that the staff reached out to connect immediately once they were in place last year.  Gotta be in it to win it.  Although both my teams in red are recruiting BeeJay...I said it on redmen.com a while ago. Bino Ranson is a bulldog recruiter. Bino, Keith Booth, and Rob Ehsan have got it goin' on.  Justin Anderson was a big verbal.  I don't care if UMD or SJ gets Beejay, as long as GTIII doesn't... ;)

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 06:29:58 PM »
PS - not sure who was there yesterday during DeMatha's open gym - last live gym for a while...

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 06:36:49 PM »
Coach Jones mentioned that the staff reached out to connect immediately once they were in place last year.  Gotta be in it to win it.  Although both my teams in red are recruiting BeeJay...I said it on redmen.com a while ago. Bino Ranson is a bulldog recruiter. Bino, Keith Booth, and Rob Ehsan have got it goin' on.  Justin Anderson was a big verbal.  I don't care if UMD or SJ gets Beejay, as long as GTIII doesn't... ;)

Ha I was hanging with Bino for a bit down in Houston at the final four. He's a funny dude. Also Justin Anderson is a HUGE commit. St. John's certainly has a longer way to make recruiting inroads than UMD in that area.

I'll find out who was at open gym.

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 07:22:21 PM »
Ah, so Bino's got that recruitin' personality too like Lavs and co.  Too bad GW isn't like Lavs, although I've heard he's getting out more than usual lately - making the last push at a better class for some big years b4 retirement.  I see my teams in red goin' deep in '12 (SJU) and '13 (both). I just hope they get in the same bracket like in '99.

A lot of DeMatha guys like going away. The staff is goin' to start getting DC/Balt. guys soon - just my guess...but Bino and Keith are formidable in Baltimore.

Thx for checkin' on live gym - I bet one of the staff was there.

Ha I was hanging with Bino for a bit down in Houston at the final four. He's a funny dude. Also Justin Anderson is a HUGE commit. St. John's certainly has a longer way to make recruiting inroads than UMD in that area.

I'll find out who was at open gym.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 07:23:27 PM by bball purist »

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2011, 09:31:04 PM »
Open Gym teams OSU, GTown, MD, WVA, GT, UVA, Mount St. Mary's, NC State...might have been a few more

Re: Beejay Anya - PF - Dematha HS - Hyattsville, Md
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2011, 04:17:19 PM »
Anya says he currently has 15 offers:

"I have offers from Virginia, Virginia Tech, Georgetown, Maryland, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, St. John's, UCLA, Texas, South Florida, South Carolina, N.C. State, Tulsa, Clemson and Indiana," Anya said.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/1073181.html

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2011, 02:50:08 PM »
From the Maryland Rivals site:

Beejay Anya - Anya, 6-8 and up to about 270 lbs, is not a speedy guy, but has good hands, is an excellent shotblocker, and pounds the boards. His stock is going up....way up.

Word is that Georgetown may well be the team to beat, with Maryland, Virginia, St. John's, Syracuse, and Texas all in there. More schools could be added to the list come July.

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1230194

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2011, 08:30:37 PM »
http://www.zagsblog.com/2011/06/17/beejay-anyas-phone-is-blowing-up/

Beejay Anya’s phone is blowing up.

Or, more accurately, the home phone of his parents, Ben and MaryAnne, is blowing up.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

NYCoffey

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2011, 10:58:19 AM »
http://recruitingspotlight.wordpress.com/2011/06/19/nbpa-top-100-camp-recruiting-notes-part-two/

BeeJay Anya ¦ Rank: NR ¦ Center ¦ 2013

On how his recruitment is going: “It’s going good, I’ve been recruited by Maryland, Georgetown, Virginia Tech, West Virginia, Virginia, South Florida, U.C.L.A., N.C. State, St. John’s, Rutgers… Texas, Ohio State and a bunch of others.”

On his list of schools: “I don’t have one, I’m completely open.”

On which coaching staff he has the best relationship with: “I took a visit to U.C.L.A. so I’ve met with their entire coaching staff and I feel like I bond with them well and they talk to my mother so it’s been a good experience.”

On what factors into his decision: “I’m looking for a school that takes pride in their big man, that likes to pass their big man the ball and a school where I feel like I can make an impact as a freshman and a school where I feel like I’m at home.”

On who he’s talked to recently: “I’ve talked to Texas, St. John’s, Rutgers, N.C. State… Duke called me the other night… it’s been great, all of these schools have been looking at me and I have a lot of choices to look in to.”

On whether location matters: “Location isn’t a problem with me, I just want to go to a school where I feel like even if I’m away from home, I’m at home.”

On if any of his friends are recruiting him: “Yeah definitely, [freshman guard] Victor Oladipo from Indiana wants me to come to his school. He says they need me and my brother gives me advice on how to choose schools and stuff like that but he wants me to go to Indiana too.”

On who’s helped him in his recruitment besides his brother: “My parents, my coaches –  [Team Takeover head] coach Keith [Stevens] and [DeMatha head] coach [Mike] Jones definitely — they’ve been helping me a lot and in school too.”

*Note: Also see what he had to say in class of 2013 point guard Nate Britt‘s interview below.

derk

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2011, 11:17:43 AM »
I seem to see Rutgers tagging along on our recruits hoping, I guess, to pick off any recruits who might have an interest in the NYC area and BE ball.

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2011, 11:20:32 AM »
If there is a room for a big man in 2013 this would be the kid I would love to get.