JOE LAPCHICK MEMORIAL TROPHY

• 7 replies
JOE LAPCHICK MEMORIAL TROPHY
« on: May 21, 2011, 01:42:39 PM »
From today's WEEKEND WALL STREET JOURNAL on page A25:

YOU WANT TROPHIES ? NEW YORK HAS THEM (SOME MORE OBSCURE THAN OTHERS)

THE JOE LAPCHICK MEMORIAL TROPHY

The St. John's basketball team hosted a trophy event every year from 1975-1995 in the form of a 4 team tournament.

The event was never really much of a competition - the Johnnies went 41-1 and won the event 20 of 21 times - but the winner received a trophy nonetheless.

Re: JOE LAPCHICK MEMORIAL TROPHY
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 05:17:00 PM »
 >:( I still remember the loss. Cal State-Irvine. We lost to the freaking Anteaters!  :tickedoff:

TONYD3

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 05:54:33 PM »
I think we should bring it back. Make it a local tournament. Rotate all the local teams.every year before the holiday festival people bring this up. I think we should play the lap chick against the locals on campus. And bring in a top team to play in the holiday tournament.

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 03:27:08 PM »
New York Post columnist Phil Mushnick was always extremely critical of the tournament and the quality of the opponents.  I assume the administration was swayed by all the denigration.

However, it was a great opportunity to see teams that aren’t often on the schedule like Loyola Marymount.  Also it was fun watching college games that didn’t involve the Johnnies at Alumni Hall.

The heck with Mushnick, Bring back the Lapchick!!!!

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 06:11:16 PM »
I'd rather see 5K at CA than 5K at MSG during the Holiday Festuval.  Great memories  from the Lapchick beating Nationsal Champs Michigan St running against Central Ct and the 1st time seeing Berry & Mullin together.  I believe the Newsday headline was something about MULLBERRY

Poison

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 06:25:55 PM »
A local tournament with Fordham, St.Francis and maybe Iona/Hofstra would be fun for the fans of Fordham, St.Francis, Iona & Hofstra.

But for us, especially now that we know what a chicken sh*t schedule can do for NCAA resume, it's pointless. (See Virginia Tech)

Man up, and play a man's schedule. We lost that game to Cal Irvine. Felipe Lopez was awful. As were everyone else. To this day, that was the worst St.John's team I've ever seen. (Not including the expelled 03-04 roster of dirty kids)

sju89tr

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 06:36:19 PM »
>:( I still remember the loss. Cal State-Irvine. We lost to the freaking Anteaters!  :tickedoff:

Wasn't Kevin Simmons on that UC Irvine team?

Moose

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 07:18:25 PM »
New York Post columnist Phil Mushnick was always extremely critical of the tournament and the quality of the opponents.  I assume the administration was swayed by all the denigration.

However, it was a great opportunity to see teams that aren’t often on the schedule like Loyola Marymount.  Also it was fun watching college games that didn’t involve the Johnnies at Alumni Hall.

The heck with Mushnick, Bring back the Lapchick!!!!

What is that hack Mushnick NOT critical of.  He lives a pretty sad life IMO.
Remember who broke the Slice news