2011's TOP 2 Sport Athletes

• 10 replies
2011's TOP 2 Sport Athletes
« on: May 27, 2011, 02:59:45 PM »
Source: Baseball America (page 22,  May 30 - June 12, 2011 issue):

EVERY BASEBALL DRAFT HAS A NUMBER OF 2 SPORTS STARS, BUT THIS YEAR"S CLASS IS EVEN DEEPER THAN USUAL

#6 On the list is:

AMIR GARRETT : St. John's basketball recruit is getting serious buzz this spring after touching 96MPH in a bullpen session for scouts. He is a left-hander.

Garrett is also projected by BASEBALL AMERICA as a FIFTH/SIXTH ROUND TALENT in the upcoming MLB Draft. (Page 33).
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 03:18:01 PM by 205 Tuttle »

Re: 2011's TOP 2 Sport Athletes
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 03:27:51 PM »
a friend of mine was drafted in the fith round last year and his signing bonus was close to 200,000
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

LJSA

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 05:02:27 PM »
I remember some posters doubting whether he really could hit 90+ on the gun. I won't worry until I see where he's drafted and by whom, but this could get a little scary for us. I can't speak for Amir, but playing ball at St. John's sounds more enticing than toiling in some dumpy "city" in the middle of nowhere waiting years to get your shot at the majors.

Moose

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 05:07:24 PM »
I remember some posters doubting whether he really could hit 90+ on the gun. I won't worry until I see where he's drafted and by whom, but this could get a little scary for us. I can't speak for Amir, but playing ball at St. John's sounds more enticing than toiling in some dumpy "city" in the middle of nowhere waiting years to get your shot at the majors.

Not sure if you saw the previous discussion but he can do both.  He can sign, play minor leagues all summer and then come to campus and play basketball.  Its allowed.
Remember who broke the Slice news

MCNPA

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 06:32:04 PM »

Not sure if you saw the previous discussion but he can do both.  He can sign, play minor leagues all summer and then come to campus and play basketball.  Its allowed.

In addition, no harm if one of our own becomes a baseball star and does what is best for him.  Kid has a great attitude and I'd love to see him succeed at both, or even just baseball if that is his path.  Love fir him to have at least a season or two here though.

Dan

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 07:15:44 PM »
He can do both but he can easily end up getting hurt playing minor league ball.

MCNPA

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 07:57:11 PM »
He can do both but he can easily end up getting hurt playing minor league ball.

You can get hurt playing a sportmwith no running involved?  ;)

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 09:13:28 AM »
When there's a southpaw who clocks 96 mph there are a going to be a lot of interested parties.

And - we've had some pretty good lefties at St. John's. Frank Viola (Cy Young Award, World Series MVP) and John Franco - didn't he or doesn't he have the major league lefty record for saves?

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 10:33:17 AM »
When there's a southpaw who clocks 96 mph there are a going to be a lot of interested parties.

And - we've had some pretty good lefties at St. John's. Frank Viola (Cy Young Award, World Series MVP) and John Franco - didn't he or doesn't he have the major league lefty record for saves?

I believe Trevor Hoffman has that record. Franco has the record for most saves by a lefty.

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2011, 11:06:58 AM »

I believe Trevor Hoffman has that record. Franco has the record for most saves by a lefty.

So, Franco still has it - thanks.

Gumby

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2011, 05:58:36 PM »
I said much of the below on a prior thread concerning Amir's baseball future.

While no one including me can predict what Amir will do baseball-wise, I have a feeling based on some history that he will not go pro baseball-wise, for a year or two.  While he would get a signing bonus, the first year of pro ball is no fun at his age level.  They still uses buses for some trips.

He will get more experience playing baseball on the St. John's team with their two seasons (Spring and Fall), and joining a top-level summer league.

The baseball talent here at ASU seems, in a number of cases, to wait until the junior year to go pro.

Also, as reported in the news for the past few years, kids with talents in a few sports are no longer flocking to our national past time.  Instead they are going the basketball or football route.  We all know Amir has talent in two sports.  He will probably give himself some time to think over his options.

And as a former pitcher I can attest how fleeting a 96 mile an hour fast ball can be.  The Yankees have seen it recently with a quick lose of velocity by both Joba (down to 92 miles from the high 90's) and Phil Hughes (down to 86-88 miles).  Ouch!

I would love to see Amir on our baseball team this Fall.