rank the recruits

• 24 replies
rank the recruits
« on: May 28, 2011, 02:09:38 AM »
I saw a thread similar to this on the Rutgers message board and I though it would be interesting.
Rank our recruits in order. For mine i'm going to assume that each player is chosen in a draft order in which the team has no specific needs but just is looking to take the best player available.

1- harkless- He has the best overall offensive game of the bunch. And then hes also, long, tall, and athletic.

2- Pointer- Hes a physical beast with a nose for the ball. Hes also got an improving offensive game.

3-Harrison- Hes scoring ability sets him apart from all the other recruits. But his size, athleticism, and defense bring him down a bit.

4- Lindsey- Like Harrison, Lindsey is geared to score, but i don't think he will be as efficient nor as deadly shooter as Harrison.

5- Sampson- Maybe the most potential of all the recruits. He has size, and athleticism that are way above average. His offensive game is also improving.

6- Garrett- He's almost like a mix of all three other small forward recruits (harkless, pointer, sampson). Hes rangy, athletic, can play on the wing or the post, and hes as tenacious and determined as any.

7- Pelle- Its hard to put pelle down this low. He has all the tools to dominate defensively and to contribute on the offensive end on put backs alone. The question is whether or not he can bring all his game together and play both ends of the game at a consistently high level.

8-gods gift- GG may be the best rebounder of the bunch, but he also may have the least potential. With only two years remaining im not sure what to expect from him. If he can be our version of serge iblaka(PLEASE!) than that would be great.

9- Phil Greene- i am really excited to see Phil play. From what Ive seen hes kind of the in between guard that's mixed with Lindsey and Harrison. He can drive and and shoot. In any other year he might have been one of our better recruits.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Re: rank the recruits
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 11:33:32 AM »
1. Pelle...shotblocking athletic center, finally
2. Harrison...finally a perimeter shooter
3. Harkless...multitalented swingman
4. Garret...unreal athlete with major upside
5. Gods Gift...an inside rock with a great attitude
6. Sampson...long developing forward who is on the rise...unselfish
7. Pointer... nba body and spectacular defensive mentality
8. Lindsey... this class is so good as i do this off the cuff i feel maybe he should move up to #1...scoring machine point guard
9. Green...underated work in progress....at the end of the day maybe best of all

A welcome embarassment of riches

Poison

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 12:05:56 PM »
We're very fortunate to have such a great class. It's refreshing.

I think all of them are equally important, however, a special acknowledgement for Maurice Harkless is necessary. I consider him the Pied Piper.

Someone had to have the balls to forget the recent past, and start on our path of developing a culture of winning.

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 12:07:04 PM »
Pure conjecture from me ive only seen a few of the guys play but have read as much as i can abt these guy's games.

Nuri-i havent seen him but if nba scouts have that's good enough for me.
Pointer-im higher than others on him, i love his energy and ill take Dave Teleps take that you're not going to keep him off the floor.
Harkless-Smooth mid range and outside shooter
Harrison-perimerter shooter who can get to the line and will fill in at pg.
Sampson-will be a mismatch on the offensive end as a face up 4.
Pelle-athletic shotblocking center who will help running the floor
Garrett-Athletic, great defensively
God's Gift-He will play more than he's ranked, will needhis size
Greene-Athletic combo player, other than that he's got balls commiting here last knowing the players we were already bringing in. 

gman

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 12:11:51 PM »
Have you seen all of these guys multiple times in person?  I'm assuming no, so this is pointless imo.

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 12:17:02 PM »
We must really be running out of things to talk about.

120% conjecture.
But what a strong balanced class.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 12:30:03 PM by stevep502 »
Molloy '71

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 12:24:05 PM »
Pelle
Lindsay
Harkless
Pointer
Harrison
Sampson
Garrett
GG
Phil

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 12:29:20 PM »
Harkless
Harrison
Pointer
Sampson
Lindsay
Pelle
Garrett
God's Gift
Greene

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 12:30:19 PM »
gman and steve....  Right on!  LOL
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 12:31:13 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2011, 12:35:20 PM »
Its a message board, of course there is conjecture. And I dont even know what that word means.

Pelle is the most important recruit we have coming in, its not even close imo. Everyone else on the roster has a replacemnet already waiting in the wings

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2011, 12:36:04 PM »
Have you seen all of these guys multiple times in person?  I'm assuming no, so this is pointless imo.

Yea but a lot of what this board is abt is pointless.  Speculating abt what's in an 18 yr olds mind?  FIguring out the starting 5? Looking at twitter to decipher its meaning?  on and on...

Predicitons and opinions, as baseless as they may be fills in the time here. 

It's the same thing with football fans and the nfl draft.  No one knows...
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 12:43:50 PM by B-Squared »

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2011, 12:40:11 PM »
Its a message board, of course there is conjecture. And I dont even know what that word means.

Pelle is the most important recruit we have coming in, its not even close imo. Everyone else on the roster has a replacemnet already waiting in the wings

I'll agree with you on Pelle being the most important recruit.  Especially, considering he's our tallest and probably, most athletic player.  We're gonna need him for size and defensive presence.

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2011, 01:17:28 PM »
I know its a waste of my time but I will do it anyway :uglystupid2:

1. Harkless...very skilled wing I think he can be a big time scorer.  Some of these guys have more upside but he is ready now offensively.
2. Lindsey... more based on what I've read than what I saw in his JUCO film.  Seems really quick with the ball but I'm concerned with his outside shooting.  Should be able to beat his man and create though.
3. Harrison...great scorer and can do it in multiple ways.  A little concerned about his outside shot looking more like a set shot than a jumper
4. Pointer... Big strong and athletic...if he can develop a pull up jumper and tighten the handle a little watch out. Doesn't seem that anyone will outwork him.
5. Green...Love his skill set seems to have a really smooth stroke.  Add some Chicago toughness and I think he will surprise some people.
6. Garrett...great athlete reminds me of a more skilled DJ Kennedy which is a great thing.  Don't ever see him being a bigtime scorer but If he can develop a consistent outside shot he will help this team tremendously. 
7. Sampson...has all the measurables, length, agility, but needs to work on his skill set.  Big upside but needs to develop a jumper from 10 to 15 feet before I move him higher.
8. Pelle...just a question of desire and effort and could easily end up being #1.  I'm not saying he doesn't have the heart but the great ones just have more "want to" than other guys.  Hopefully he has it.  He's going to be the most interesting to watch development wise.
9. Gods Gift...Just need him to rebound and defend.  Someone has to be put last and I'm going with the JUCO.  No slight given the talent of the rest of the class.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 01:19:43 PM by jumpinjohnny »
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Moose

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2011, 02:18:32 PM »
No way is Greene 5 in my opinion.  He's probably 9th to me.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2011, 02:47:27 PM »

Why?
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Moose

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2011, 02:59:47 PM »

Why?

Pretty much the same reasons as everyone else prior who put him 9th.  I think you will see Amir and Dom backing up Harrison at 2 and spelling him for minutes.  Greene seems to be the lowest ranked we have coming in as well.
Remember who broke the Slice news

LJSA

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2011, 07:25:59 PM »
Ranking in terms of influence on each game:

Harrison
Harkless
Pelle
Pointer
Sampson
Lindsey
Greene
Garrett
Achiuwa

I've actually had someone tell me they think Greene will be really good as early as this coming season, but I'll leave him a notch below Lindsey for now.

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2011, 07:56:46 PM »
I'll play:

~Norvel Pelle - from importance alone he should be number one. This kid's potential is off the roof.

~D'Angelo Harrison - I think he is the most complete scorer we got and will be a big help to us right away.

~Dom Pointer - I love his defense and potential to his game. Other than Pelle, I think he has the best chance to make it to the NBA.

~Jakarr Sampson - Very good all around.

~Maurice Harkless - Tremendous scorer but I worry on his other aspects of his game. Should be interesting to watch.

~Amir Garrett - Can come in and defend but I dont think he gives us anything other than the dunk offensively. Still extremely high ceiling.

~Nurideen Lindsey - Big time scorer from the PG position. JUCO guy though and his potential isnt as high as the other guys, thats why he is this low.

~Phillip Greene - Dont think he gives us much this year but he can score and has great potential.

~God's Gift Achiuwa - He is what he is a tough and scrappy big man. Doesnt have the potential of any of these guys but will be one of the more safer guys in this class.

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2011, 08:14:01 PM »
Lindsey nba interest
pelle    big quick athlete to nba in 2 yrs
sampson  future nba foward
harrison   wants ball at end game can score shoot rebound
pointer physical defender can score off dribble
green just guessing a quick combo guard usefull now
harkless  poor  man's k anderson
god's gift power ready to rebound
garrison road runner can fit in

kob24