Rysheed Jordan - PG - Vaux Roberts - Philadelphia, PA - ST. JOHN'S

• 2186 replies
Re: Rysheed Jordan - PG - Vaux Roberts - Philadelphia, PA - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #2160 on: July 08, 2013, 01:08:04 AM »
Most players in the Top 50 of the rankings probably envision themselves not sticking around for too long.

crgreen

« Reply #2161 on: July 08, 2013, 04:03:15 AM »
Most players in the Top 50 of the rankings probably envision themselves not sticking around for too long.

Don't think that's necessarily true.   But for kids in the top TWENTY, like Rysheed, it most certainly is - with very good reason if you check the draft records against the RSCI top 20 lists going back.

sju89tr

« Reply #2162 on: July 08, 2013, 11:01:25 AM »
2 seasons will be fine with me

Moose

« Reply #2163 on: July 08, 2013, 11:03:47 AM »
2 seasons will be fine with me

Or 1 with Whitehead replacing :)
Remember who broke the Slice news

sju89tr

« Reply #2164 on: July 08, 2013, 11:05:40 AM »
Moose, that would be fine too

« Reply #2165 on: July 08, 2013, 12:48:09 PM »
In this case, I would think a Rysheed one and done would help our program immensely.

The Harkless pick both hurt and helped the program, just due to it leaving us shorthanded, but also paved the way for Jakarr to come onboard. If Harkless stayed I doubt we would have gotten Karr.

If Rysheed goes we are still setup for success with our roster and the interest for other guards would be immense.

« Reply #2166 on: July 08, 2013, 12:56:08 PM »
I don't know if I am talking crazy but maybe guys should play at least 1 game before declaring for the draft.  Probably just me you know I am goofed up in the head.  Funny like a clown here to amuse you...

Marillac

« Reply #2167 on: July 08, 2013, 01:16:42 PM »
The neighborhood is what many of these kids grow up in.  Ny has plenty of em too.  I worked for quite a few years at St. Mary's Hospital in Bed Stuy, which was on Prospect place between Buffalo avenue and Rochester.  Difficult neighborhood to say the least.  Was one of my favorite places to work, but I was even chased by wild dogs going to my car

I gotta admit that this cracked me up for some reason

Everybody I tell it to thinks it is funny.  Wasn't funny to have 10+ dogs chase me on to roof of an SUV one night back then though.   Now looking back, it does sound funny but others can tell you of the packs of stray dogs that roam those areas of Brooklyn.  Somehow I spooked them on the way to my car.
Didnt think it could happen but now your story just got even funnier. lol

LOLOL This is killing me as well.

MCNPA

« Reply #2168 on: July 08, 2013, 02:57:25 PM »
The neighborhood is what many of these kids grow up in.  Ny has plenty of em too.  I worked for quite a few years at St. Mary's Hospital in Bed Stuy, which was on Prospect place between Buffalo avenue and Rochester.  Difficult neighborhood to say the least.  Was one of my favorite places to work, but I was even chased by wild dogs going to my car

I gotta admit that this cracked me up for some reason

Everybody I tell it to thinks it is funny.  Wasn't funny to have 10+ dogs chase me on to roof of an SUV one night back then though.   Now looking back, it does sound funny but others can tell you of the packs of stray dogs that roam those areas of Brooklyn.  Somehow I spooked them on the way to my car.
Didnt think it could happen but now your story just got even funnier. lol

LOLOL This is killing me as well.

Like I said.  100% true story.

paultzman

« Reply #2169 on: July 09, 2013, 10:35:21 AM »
ANDREW ALBERT, Daily News Staff Writer alberta@phillynews.com POSTED: Tuesday, July 9, 2013, 3:01 AM
WHEN THE LIGHTS went on at the playground at 10th and Olney for another round of games in the Chosen League last Wednesday night, an unexpected visitor drew a crowd upon news of his participation. His flow and charisma with the ball, and without, wowed fans, and opposing players alike. Rysheed Jordan scored 26 points in his return to the Chosen League, the only time he will play in the league this summer. The star guard is headed off to spend the summer practicing with his new team, the St. John's Red Storm. He was slated to leave last week, but his departure from Philadelphia was pushed back because of the Fourth of July holiday. That gave Jordan one last opportunity to play in the Chosen League, as he did last summer, and it also served as somewhat of a reunion for him. Out of the five players on his team, three were his teammates at Robert Vaux High School. Jordan was happy to play with those old teammates one last time. "It felt good,"

Jordan said."I wasn't playing for real. I just had to break a sweat, that's all." Jordan showed why he was ranked 17th on the ESPN100 recruiting list, including being the best player in the state of Pennsylvania. He averaged 26 points per game in his senior season at Vaux, possessing a seemingly effortless game, even when he is blowing by would-be defenders and finishing in traffic. Jordan was heavily recruited by St. John's, Temple and UCLA.

While many around the city believed he would stay local and go to Temple - after all, his nickname is "The Prince of North Philly" - Jordan said he wanted the chance to leave Philadelphia, where he has lived all his life. He said UCLA was too far, making St. John's a perfect fit. The 6-4, 185-pound guard believes his game is in a good spot right now, but there is always room for improvement. "I'm working on everything," he said simply. "I think I can play good defense, and I can finish," Jordan added. "I can also pass the ball. I'm working on shooting a lot more." Jordan will have every chance to work on his skills this summer in Queens, N.Y., with St. John's head coach Steve Lavin and his staff. Jordan is the only recruit for the class of 2013, and Lavin has taken the time to motivate his incoming freshman. "We talk everyday," Jordan said about his new coach. "He sends me little quotes and videos. He sends videos of Steph Curry shooting and his ballhandling, stuff like that. He sends me a lot of guys' tapes. [Rajon] Rondo, Chris Paul, all the best point guards in the [NBA]."

Jordan is poised to make an immediate impact for the Red Storm when the season kicks off in November. With the inspiration of Lavin, and a chance to see playing time as a freshman, Jordan, a man of few words, can't wait to get to St. John's. "I'm very excited," he said.
Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/colleges/20130709_Rysheed_Jordan_draws_crowd_to_summer_league.html#ZHBIQP55tpg7yS3K.99

paultzman

« Reply #2170 on: August 04, 2013, 01:21:35 PM »
“@JonRothstein: Had a Big East assistant tell me this week that Rysheed Jordan could be the "missing piece" for St. John's. Could start at PG. #stjbb”

« Reply #2171 on: August 04, 2013, 06:39:54 PM »
“@JonRothstein: Had a Big East assistant tell me this week that Rysheed Jordan could be the "missing piece" for St. John's. Could start at PG. #stjbb”

Haha really goin out on a limb saying he 'could' start at point guard.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

paultzman

« Reply #2172 on: August 15, 2013, 10:55:42 AM »
“@nybuckets: .@HudsonGiles makes his BAB debut with 9 Big East Rookies to Watch this season: http://nycbuckets.com/2013/08/nine-big-east-rookies-to-watch-in-2013-14/

Rysheed Jordan, St. John’s: Despite the return of both Jamal Branch and D’Angelo Harrison (suspended from the team in early March, Harrison will accompany the squad on their mid-August overseas trip and will likely suit up for the Red Storm in 2013-14), coach Steve Lavin’s recruiting priority was a point guard. Sir’Dominic Pointer, a 6’5″ wing, was the only SJU player last season to use more than 60 percent of the team’s minutes and record an assist rate over 20 percent, and though Lavin may be loathe to entrust a freshman with distribution duties, Harrison must further his transition to a combo guard to end SJU’s offensive stagnation – the squad finished with a record above .500 but posted an in-conference offensive rating of 91.8. St. John’s needs a guard who can forego his own scoring impulses and concentrate on running the squad’s offensive gameplan. Jordan’s arrival should move Phil Greene IV to the bench, and since Lavin often allows his perimeter players freedom to display their natural attributes, the 6’3″ Jordan could thrive in a role where his propensity for north-to-south drives creates openings for his Red Storm ‘mates (and hopefully then boosts the team’s cellar-scraping assist rate).

sju89tr

« Reply #2173 on: August 15, 2013, 11:22:57 AM »
“@nybuckets: .@HudsonGiles makes his BAB debut with 9 Big East Rookies to Watch this season: http://nycbuckets.com/2013/08/nine-big-east-rookies-to-watch-in-2013-14/

Rysheed Jordan, St. John’s: Despite the return of both Jamal Branch and D’Angelo Harrison (suspended from the team in early March, Harrison will accompany the squad on their mid-August overseas trip and will likely suit up for the Red Storm in 2013-14), coach Steve Lavin’s recruiting priority was a point guard. Sir’Dominic Pointer, a 6’5″ wing, was the only SJU player last season to use more than 60 percent of the team’s minutes and record an assist rate over 20 percent, and though Lavin may be loathe to entrust a freshman with distribution duties, Harrison must further his transition to a combo guard to end SJU’s offensive stagnation – the squad finished with a record above .500 but posted an in-conference offensive rating of 91.8. St. John’s needs a guard who can forego his own scoring impulses and concentrate on running the squad’s offensive gameplan. Jordan’s arrival should move Phil Greene IV to the bench, and since Lavin often allows his perimeter players freedom to display their natural attributes, the 6’3″ Jordan could thrive in a role where his propensity for north-to-south drives creates openings for his Red Storm ‘mates (and hopefully then boosts the team’s cellar-scraping assist rate).

You got to think Jordan, Dee, Pointer, Sampson, and Sanchez will start with first guys off bench Obekpa, Greene, Branch. Hooper and Gift in rotation and Marco, Jones, and Felix on outside looking in.

I really hope we can redshirt Felix and/or Jones.   

paultzman

« Reply #2174 on: August 15, 2013, 11:35:22 AM »

You got to think Jordan, Dee, Pointer, Sampson, and Sanchez will start with first guys off bench Obekpa, Greene, Branch. Hooper and Gift in rotation and Marco, Jones, and Felix on outside looking in.

Excellent suggestion Ted.

« Reply #2175 on: August 15, 2013, 02:11:07 PM »

Excellent suggestion Ted.

Won't that cut down on the ability to recruit?  I guess the question is are Felix/CJ with a year off going to be better than any potetial recruit(s) from their 5 yr. class?

paultzman

« Reply #2176 on: August 15, 2013, 02:39:35 PM »
“@StJohnsBBall: Jordan: “It's been a good preseason for me but I'm a little banged up right now." #sjubb #stjbb”

“@StJohnsBBall: Jordan: "Obviously I want to be able to play, but as Coach and the staff told me it's my job to get healthy right now." #sjubb #stjbb”

« Reply #2177 on: August 15, 2013, 02:44:02 PM »
“@StJohnsBBall: Jordan: “It's been a good preseason for me but I'm a little banged up right now." #sjubb #stjbb”

“@StJohnsBBall: Jordan: "Obviously I want to be able to play, but as Coach and the staff told me it's my job to get healthy right now." #sjubb #stjbb”

Sucks that Jordan won't be playing in Europe, but we need him healthy this season.

crgreen

« Reply #2178 on: August 15, 2013, 03:30:32 PM »

Why in the world would Lavin be "loathe to entrust distribution duties to a freshman"?????   He's only done it with Baron Davis, Earl Watson, Cedric Bozeman, and even Phil Greene....

« Reply #2179 on: August 15, 2013, 07:21:38 PM »
Maybe he did it but in a loathsome way.  ;) :)