HOME RUN....

• 6 replies
HOME RUN....
« on: July 10, 2011, 04:51:14 AM »
BTW, apologies for being captain obvious. 

I was talking to a friend through email when i came across this article.  The cool thing abt the article was it was written before Lavin coached a practice at St. Johns. This article was also after  he was able to recruit Moe Harkless and Jakarr Sampson to campus. 

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=oneil_dana&id=5580789

I thought this was pretty cool....

"Lavin's reported wish list also includes Amir Garrett (Nevada), God's Gift Achiuwa (Erie Community College by way of Nigeria), Dom Pointer (Quality Education Academy in North Carolina by way of Michigan), (Phillip Green (Chicago), Tyler Harris (New Jersey), D'Angelo Harrison (Texas) and Norvell Pelle (California)."

Ill say this......After Moe and Jakarr he got them all except Tyler Harris.  I remember 12-13 months ago i was asking where is the sg, who will help shooting the bball.  All of a sudden D'angleo harrison pops up in august and we eventually get him.  10 months ago most st. johns fans were asking who the pg would be.  We stopped going after quinn cook and never even touch myles mack and that's b/c Lavin knew he had Nurideen Lindsay  in his pocket. 

All i want to say is the Guy can coach and recruit.  Knows where to waste his time and where his time is worthwhile.  HE Knows that he has to get all-americans next year to make a difference for this years team and that's what he's doing.  I'm confident, hopefully Kyle and Ricardo follow suit with Lavin's plan.   

The times have changed...
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 05:08:57 AM by B-Squared »

Moose

Re: HOME RUN....
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 10:42:39 AM »
And honestly I wouldn't even say we 'lost' Tyler Harris. 
Remember who broke the Slice news

Marillac

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 02:26:12 PM »

Exactly.  If we didn't land four top 75 wings, we had Tyler for sure.  I think Lav still wanted him, though, for depth and versatility. 

It's scary that Lavin hits on such a high percentage of kids his zeroes in on.  He just doesn't waste time on kids that he doesn't think he can get. 

Moose

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 02:31:33 PM »

Exactly.  If we didn't land four top 75 wings, we had Tyler for sure.  I think Lav still wanted him, though, for depth and versatility. 

It's scary that Lavin hits on such a high percentage of kids his zeroes in on.  He just doesn't waste time on kids that he doesn't think he can get. 

The best example of that is Jabari Brown in my mind.  He backed off and didn't waste any time going elsewhere.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Dan

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 10:50:08 PM »
That's great.  He has a list of who he wants and he gets pretty much all of them.

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 11:12:18 PM »
Agree we didnt lose Tyler and I wouldnt change a thing about our recruits but a guy at my gym said he has looked real good lately. Has anyone heard anything about him lately ? Just curious

LJSA

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 12:36:00 AM »
Agree we didnt lose Tyler and I wouldnt change a thing about our recruits but a guy at my gym said he has looked real good lately. Has anyone heard anything about him lately ? Just curious

I wish there was some way that the timing of his college commitment and Polee's transfer could have worked out better, because I wouldn't have minded seeing Harris fill what I think Polee's role would have been next season: undersized backup power forward.