NBA's Lockout's impact on SJU Basketball

• 8 replies
NBA's Lockout's impact on SJU Basketball
« on: July 28, 2011, 05:19:17 PM »
With many experts predicting a long lockout similiar to 1999 will the NY Sports Media provide SJU hoops more attention in the late fall and winter?

I remember in October 1994(during the baseball strike) Mike and the Mad Dog ESPN  at the time provided alot of attention to SJU's first ever Midnight Madness

Marillac

Re: NBA's Lockout's impact on SJU Basketball
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 09:16:45 PM »
Hopefully it will put some more butts in the seats.  It should even the playing field a bit for schools located in NBA cities. 

Poison

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 11:51:14 PM »
That Midnight Madness filled us all with so much hope.

False hope, but hope.

Moose

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 07:34:58 AM »
That Midnight Madness filled us all with so much hope.

False hope, but hope.

False hope?
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 07:42:23 AM »
False hope because I think all fans at the time were so blinded by the Lopez hype, we thought he and Zendon would take us to the promise land. I know I was thinking Final 4 eventually. Didn't quite work out that way.

Moose

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 07:46:07 AM »
False hope because I think all fans at the time were so blinded by the Lopez hype, we thought he and Zendon would take us to the promise land. I know I was thinking Final 4 eventually. Didn't quite work out that way.

My bad. I thought he was talking about last yrs Midnight Madness.
Remember who broke the Slice news

MCNPA

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 09:05:26 AM »
I think it would actually be a good thing for SJU and college ball.  The casual bball fan or knicks fan would be re-acquainted with college ball in NYC once again.  It's a good time for it.  Certainly won't hurt SJU and college ball at MSG.

Marillac

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 09:19:54 AM »
I think it would actually be a good thing for SJU and college ball.  The casual bball fan or knicks fan would be re-acquainted with college ball in NYC once again.  It's a good time for it.  Certainly won't hurt SJU and college ball at MSG.

We just have to get people in the habit of going to the Garden for St. John's games.  There was a huge disconnect under Norm.  Lifelong season ticket holders stopped going entirely....people that made attending St. John's games a once or twice a week event during the winter. 

I feel like our attendance is about to take off if we can get through this year with a small increase.  It will become the thing to do for students. 

MCNPA

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2011, 09:31:23 AM »

We just have to get people in the habit of going to the Garden for St. John's games.  There was a huge disconnect under Norm.  Lifelong season ticket holders stopped going entirely....people that made attending St. John's games a once or twice a week event during the winter. 

I feel like our attendance is about to take off if we can get through this year with a small increase.  It will become the thing to do for students.

It is a culture change. Unfortunately, we have a whole generation of SJU grads that barely know we have a team.  SJU's real dividends will be paid years down the line if Lavin is here for a while and brings consistent winning back.  He's got the personality to win NYC and the fans.  Just need to consistently have support from SJU students and they as well as city kids need to be "raised" on SJU basketball again.  It's part of the fabric of NYC that spent too long in the gutter.  People gave up or forgot.  It's coming back rapidly, but like I said, need to build it again and sustain it where people forget the days when we were bad.  It starts this year and NY'ers will enjoy the talent on the roster once again.