Antiquawn Beckham - PG - The New Hampton School - New Hampton, NH - MISS ST

• 19 replies
6'5 PG supposed to make a visit soon.

G-Tech, Kentucky, and Virginia have recently got in the race for him. Beckham currently has scholarship offers from Ball State, Wichita State, Santa Clara, VCU, Fordham, Northern Iowa, Creighton, Bradley, Fresno State and Wright State.

As a 6-5 point guard, Beckham has the look of a big-time point guard and is known for his playmaking ability, but must continue to work on his shot.

Beckham's former coach, Ballard head man Chris Renner said that prep school has been beneficial.

“He’s an all-around player,” Renner said. “His greatest strength is that he’s unselfish, the college coaches say maybe a little too unselfish. Talking to his prep school coach, this has been a good experience for him. He’s growing not only as a ball player but as a person as well.”

Beckham, who is supposed to take a visit to St. John's soon and is also drawing interest from Virginia, said he would like to have a decision by mid-February and lists Wichita State and Bradley as his leaders.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 01:33:24 PM by kjd01067 »
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

kjd01067

Re: Antiquawn Beckham
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 09:22:58 AM »
Rivals has him listed as a 3 star.  I guess he originally comitted to IUPUI but decided to go to prep school instead.  With the other teams invovled i say we have a good shot but who knows because Witicha St. has been better than us recently.  Anyone got anything elese on the kid ?

mkras99

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 10:12:47 AM »

G-Tech, Kentucky, and Virginia have recently got in the race for him. Beckham currently has scholarship offers from Ball State, Wichita State, Santa Clara, VCU, Fordham, Northern Iowa, Creighton, Bradley, Fresno State and Wright State.

As a 6-5 point guard, Beckham has the look of a big-time point guard and is known for his playmaking ability, but must continue to work on his shot.

Beckham's former coach, Ballard head man Chris Renner said that prep school has been beneficial.

“He’s an all-around player,” Renner said. “His greatest strength is that he’s unselfish, the college coaches say maybe a little too unselfish. Talking to his prep school coach, this has been a good experience for him. He’s growing not only as a ball player but as a person as well.”

Beckham, who is supposed to take a visit to St. John's soon and is also drawing interest from Virginia, said he would like to have a decision by mid-February and lists Wichita State and Bradley as his leaders.

JJ, where'd you get this from?

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 12:45:35 PM »
IT LOOKS TO ME THAT NORM IS TRYING BRING TWO MORE GARUDS (PG, BIG TIME SHOOTER).

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 01:50:30 PM »

http://bluegrassinsider.com/Feature.aspx?FeatureID=89

mkras99

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 02:02:46 PM »

http://bluegrassinsider.com/Feature.aspx?FeatureID=89

Cool.  Thanks.

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 11:00:00 PM »
I thought Virginia already signed a 6'5" PG---Syl.

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 01:03:45 PM »
IT LOOKS TO ME THAT NORM IS TRYING BRING TWO MORE GARUDS (PG, BIG TIME SHOOTER).

We got ourselves a big time shooter. But he earnin spinters stead of playin like he should. LW
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2008, 05:44:05 PM »
I THINK LARRY WRIGHT IS A GOOD SHOOTER AND NEEDS MORE PLAYING TIME, BUT WE NEED A SHOOTER FROM THE PG POSITION TO OPEN UP THE FLOOR. AND WE NEED A BIG TIME POINTS MAKER BECAUSE WE CANT SCORE, AND IF HE IS A GOOD SHOOTER THAN MAYBE WE CAN WIN A GAME OR TWO.

Poison

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2008, 06:58:15 PM »

We got ourselves a big time shooter. But he earnin spinters stead of playin like he should. LW

In all fairness, Larry Wright has had plenty of games where he just missed shots, didn't play defense, and basically evaporated on offense. The main problem is the coach, but when players miss wide open shots, that's on them.

I like Wright, and I think he has potential, but at some point, SJU players need to realize that they are to blame as well.

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2008, 11:38:33 AM »

In all fairness, Larry Wright has had plenty of games where he just missed shots, didn't play defense, and basically evaporated on offense. The main problem is the coach, but when players miss wide open shots, that's on them.

I like Wright, and I think he has potential, but at some point, SJU players need to realize that they are to blame as well.

Bre, LW shootin 40 percent from three. I take that all day long.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

Tha Kid

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2008, 11:03:56 PM »

Can't expect a shooter to shoot well when he's only comin in for 2-3 3 min spurts in the game and is pulled at the first mistake...that kind of situation is not good and can be a reason for poor shooting...its all on the coach with regards to Larry, IMO.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2008, 11:47:46 PM »
hey guys hate to be a buzz kill but lets keep this to Antiquawn Beckham thread not the larry wright thread.

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2008, 02:13:38 PM »
any idea when he is taking his visit?
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2008, 11:26:31 AM »
Antiquawn Beckham, of New Hampton (N.H.) School recently got back to his hometown (Louisville, Ky.) for spring break and the 6-foot-5 guard is using his down time to visit college campuses.
This past weekend the three-star prospect took an unofficial visit to Kentucky to check out the campus and take in the Wildcats’ last regular season game against the defending national champions, Florida.

“It was cool,” Beckham said. “I got up there pretty early. I took a tour of the practice facility and I had a conversation with Coach [tracy Webster]. Then I went to the game. I enjoyed the game. It was a great game.”

“It was a good time,” he said. “A lot of Kentucky fans knew who I was and were asking me if I was coming to Kentucky. I didn’t really know the answer, but a lot of people knew me here.”

Despite showing recent interest, Kentucky’s staff never saw him play during the high school season, but they did ask for some film on the former Louisville (Ky.) Ballard standout.

Next up on Beckham’s visit list is Bradley. The Braves have been steadily recruiting him for a while and Beckham will use one of his four remaining official visits to visit them on Wednesday. Following that visit, he’ll head to UAB.

“My visit is from Wednesday to Friday and in early April I’m scheduled to go on a visit for UAB,” Beckham said. “They feel like they are going to make the NCAA tournament so they think it’s best for me to come after the season, so I can spend some time on campus.”

To go with interest from Kentucky, Bradley and UAB, Beckham is receiving strong interest from Colorado State, St. John’s, Wichita State and most recently Mississippi State.

“The [Mississippi State] coach and I had a long talk last night,” he said. “He basically said that he liked my game a lot and liked that I could play the one, two and three. He said he loved my game and that he felt like I was an SEC player.

“One of their coaches is trying to find the time to come down and visit me in Louisville and then they are going to come see me in New Hampton.”

Just as he planned at the beginning of the year Beckham is planning to wait out the process. At this point UAB is on top, but he’s not in a rush to make a commitment.

“Right now if I had to make a decision I like UAB, but I’m really hoping something can

kjd01067

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2008, 11:56:27 AM »
Unfortunately these days our chances are never good when the big boys get invovled.  Looks like we can almost cross him off our ever growing shorter and shorter list.

Randomhero423

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2008, 12:10:27 PM »
doubt he comes here.

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2008, 09:37:08 AM »
I THINK LARRY WRIGHT IS A GOOD SHOOTER AND NEEDS MORE PLAYING TIME, BUT WE NEED A SHOOTER FROM THE PG POSITION TO OPEN UP THE FLOOR. AND WE NEED A BIG TIME POINTS MAKER BECAUSE WE CANT SCORE, AND IF HE IS A GOOD SHOOTER THAN MAYBE WE CAN WIN A GAME OR TWO.

welcome back, oldred
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2008, 08:35:16 PM »
Antiquawn Beckham commits to Mississippi State.....

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2008, 11:39:06 PM »
Antiquawn Beckham commits to Mississippi State.....
Lets him play in the SEC and get some time when Jamont Gordon moves on.