TyShwan Edmondson - PG - University Heights Academy - ST. JOHN'S

• 105 replies

kjd01067

March 5, 2008
Jerry Meyer
Rivals.com Basketball Recruiting

... but the play of three-star senior point guard Tyshwan Edmondson has also been critical to University Heights success this year.

Edmondson, who is averaging 18 points, six rebounds and five assists per game, began the season with offers from Austin Peay, Eastern Kentucky and Morehead State. A strong senior season, however, has a number of schools making their way to Hopkinsville, Ky., to watch him play.

According to University Heights head coach Randy McCoy, VCU, SMU, Richmond and Nebraska have all recently watched Edmondson. St. John's is expected to watch him play this week, and Rutgers recently called about him.

With University Heights beginning the region tournament this week, Edmondson won't evaluate his recruiting situation until after the season.

"A lot of people are coming to watch him play and calling about him," said McCoy. "Ty is wide open and won't do anything until we are finished with the season. Then he will decide who is serious about him and who he wants to visit."

Despite Edmondson's rising stock as a prospect, in-state NAIA power Georgetown College is in the best shape of any school recruiting Edmondson according to Coach McCoy.

A point guard with size, Edmondson has the versatility to make plays at either guard position. He has a well rounded skill set and is athletic but does have room for improvement with his long range jump shot.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 11:20:43 PM by kjd01067 »

Re: Point Gaurd - Tyshwan Edmondson
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 06:46:30 PM »
March 5, 2008
Jerry Meyer
Rivals.com Basketball Recruiting

... but the play of three-star senior point guard Tyshwan Edmondson has also been critical to University Heights success this year.

Edmondson, who is averaging 18 points, six rebounds and five assists per game, began the season with offers from Austin Peay, Eastern Kentucky and Morehead State. A strong senior season, however, has a number of schools making their way to Hopkinsville, Ky., to watch him play.

According to University Heights head coach Randy McCoy, VCU, SMU, Richmond and Nebraska have all recently watched Edmondson. St. John's is expected to watch him play this week, and Rutgers recently called about him.

With University Heights beginning the region tournament this week, Edmondson won't evaluate his recruiting situation until after the season.

"A lot of people are coming to watch him play and calling about him," said McCoy. "Ty is wide open and won't do anything until we are finished with the season. Then he will decide who is serious about him and who he wants to visit."

Despite Edmondson's rising stock as a prospect, in-state NAIA power Georgetown College is in the best shape of any school recruiting Edmondson according to Coach McCoy.

A point guard with size, Edmondson has the versatility to make plays at either guard position. He has a well rounded skill set and is athletic but does have room for improvement with his long range jump shot.

Well, at least we're competing against power Georgetown, albeit KY's version
We should be able to compete against Richmond, SMU, VCU, and even Nebraska.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 06:47:51 PM by Not The Sleaveless Guy »

scout has him visiting st john's today (4/21)

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p= ... 5639&fhn=1

Randomhero423

we need warm bodies.

kjd01067

I think of the recruits we still have on our radar on want this kid the most.  A 3 star point guard with size.  Norm better be putting the full court press on him.

i see scout lists him as two stars.

kjd01067

i see scout lists him as two stars.

Rivals has him as a 3, Scout has has as a 2.  I dont care how many stars he has from what I have read about him he is a very talented player.  We need another point guard badly and this kid has size.  We dont need this kid to be a super-star we need him to backup boothe cause after watching geno play for 4 years everyone knows a point cant play all 40 minutes.

it's just that we're not breaking the cycle of overhyping players before they suit up.  then when they fail to meet unfair expectations, we get posters who say they're glad norm kicked them out.

i respect every kid who comes here...but a stud is a stud and a role player is a role player.   

kjd01067

it's just that we're not breaking the cycle of overhyping players before they suit up.  then when they fail to meet unfair expectations, we get posters who say they're glad norm kicked them out.

i respect every kid who comes here...but a stud is a stud and a role player is a role player.  

At this point I dont think anybody is hyping the players we are currently recruiting with maybe the exception of Kilpatrick (all depends on who you ask).  As stated again and again with only 9 scholarship athletes on the roster we need warm bodies.  From what I have read on this guy he seems like he can be a serviceable backup point guard in the BE.  All I know is we have to sign somebody because we arent gonna win many games with 9 players.

pmg911

With all due repect to Malik Boothe. . its not going to take a superhuman effort to be the starting point guard next season...   

Thomas Olik

Re: Tyshwan Edmondson - PG - University Heights Academy - Hopkinsville, KY
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2008, 09:28:06 PM »
With all due repect to Malik Boothe. . its not going to take a superhuman effort to be the starting point guard next season...   

I disagree. I think Boothe is a lock for starting point guard.

Randomhero423

Re: Tyshwan Edmondson - PG - University Heights Academy - Hopkinsville, KY
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2008, 09:35:47 PM »
he agrees with that too.

as much as i like boothe, he cannot play 40 min a game nor can he even play 30..

kjd01067

Re: Tyshawn Edmondson - PG - University Heights Academy - Hopkinsville, KY
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2008, 10:04:36 PM »
Being reported by HTGS on BEB that Edmonson and Quincy Roberts are close to signing with STJ.

http://www.bigeastboards.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=27640&sid=324ffd5d6c4034603cec93fa39381af7

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2008, 11:30:13 PM »
Does that guy have any credibility?

Randomhero423

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2008, 11:38:14 PM »
he's usually good with his scoops.

we need a warm body who can play pg.  that's all i know. 

kjd01067

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2008, 08:10:23 AM »
http://stjohns.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=800751

A source close to St. John's revealed that on Sunday and Monday 6-3 senior point guard Tyshawn Edmondson from University Heights Academy in Hopkinsville, KY made his official visits at St. John's. In addition, 6-5 shooting guard Quincy Roberts from Harrisburg, PA High School will be paying the Johnnies a visit this Thursday.

Edmondson averages 18 points, six rebounds and five assists per game. This season he received offers from Austin Peay, Eastern Kentucky and Morehead State. Sources also say there is interest from VCU, SMU, Richmond and Nebraska for this hot prospect.

Poison

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2008, 01:31:54 PM »
Does that guy have any credibility?

no one is right all the time, but i believe it.

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2008, 01:54:12 PM »
he's usually good with his scoops.

we need a warm body who can play pg.  that's all i know. 

There is no doubt he is right about a lot of things and definitely gets some good scoops however he is also wrong about a lot of things too. There might be some truth to what he has to say here but wait and see.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

kjd01067

Re: Tyshawn Edmondson - PG - University Heights Academy - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2008, 05:34:23 PM »
http://redstormsports.cstv.com/sports/m ... 08aab.html

TyShwan Edmondson To Bolster St. John's Basketball Backcourt In 2008-09

Norm Roberts inks second guard this week for the Red Storm men's team.

April 30, 2008

QUEENS, N.Y. - St. John's head men's basketball coach Norm Roberts announced the signing of the second high school guard this week, TyShwan Edmondson (Hopkinsville, Ky.), to a national letter of intent to join the Red Storm for the 2008-09 season.

"TyShwan will give us great minutes at the point and solid minutes off the ball as well, because he is a quality scorer," said Roberts. "He will help us on the defensive end with his length and quickness, and we are very excited to add him to our backcourt."

Edmondson, a 6-4, 175-pound dynamic playmaking guard from University Heights Academy in Hopkinsville, Ky., is a lightning-quick floor leader with the ability to score in transition, create his own shot, score off his defense and set up his teammates. He comes from the same high school program as former St. John's player Sergio Luyk (1991-95), who passed away recently in Spain.

A first team all-state selection by the Louisville Courier-Journal and the Kentucky Herald Leader, and a second team honoree according to the Associated Press, Edmondson averaged 18.4 points per game, 6.7 rebounds, 4.3 assists and 2.7 steals as a senior at UHA. He keyed the Blazers to a 30-5 record in 2007-08, leading UHA to the Kentucky High School Athletic Association (KHSAA) District 8 and Region 2 championship, before reaching the KHSAA Sweet Sixteen in the large school state tournament and taking the title among the smaller schools in the Kentucky All "A" Tournament.

After being named the Kentucky All "A" Tournament's most valuable player, Edmondson was selected to participate in the Kentucky-Ohio All-Star game, where he won the dunk contest and scored 14 points for his home state's squad on April 13.

"St. John's is getting a quality person that will represent the program well in the classroom, on campus and on the basketball court," said UHA high school coach Randy McKoy. "His upside is tremendous. He was a great high school player in the state of Kentucky, and at the next level with a structured weight program, he will really excel."

On Tuesday, Roberts and the Red Storm announced the signing of combo guard and all-state selection Quincy Roberts (Harrisburg, Pa./Harrisburg) to a NLI as well. Roberts and Edmondson should both give St. John's talented options in the backcourt in 2008-09.

Check back with RedStormSports.com, the home of St. John's Basketball on the Internet, for the latest Spring NLI updates.