Andrew Young - PF - Monterey Peninsula College -Monterey, California - TEXAS A&M

• 43 replies

paultzman

« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 11:15:36 PM by jumpinjohnny »

Re: Andrew Young - PF - Monterey Peninsula College - Monterey, California
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 04:34:06 PM »
This is depressing.  We are going after norm level recruits.

Moose

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 04:36:12 PM »

Google is a grea tool
Cal, NCSU, Cincy, Gonzaga and Pitt all after him.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 04:40:15 PM »

Google is a grea tool

Have any offered bc I read that cal poly was really hot to trot for this kid

Moose

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 04:42:11 PM »

Google is a grea tool

Have any offered bc I read that cal poly was really hot to trot for this kid

Yes

gman

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 06:40:09 PM »

Did you even read the article?

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 06:50:18 PM »
This guy can give quality minutes and help us mold into a Cincinnati type team next year (with more talent)!
We have no bench we need guys who will do the dirty work, love it, Improve and help us win more games!
Doesn't have to be a decommiting diva seeking attention from all available programs ::)
Remember we stole harrison from out of nowhere last year! he is better than advertised
i'm just sayin :uglystupid2:
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 06:52:18 PM by illscalpya4000 »

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2012, 06:59:59 PM »

If u look at norm recruits, there was always an article that said they had interest from other major schools.  Maybe this guy will turn out to be good but I've never heard of him and I suspect that none of you have either until recently.  This is not rico gathers or jakar Sampson we are taking about.  We will have more bodies next year no matter what.  The chances of us being a top 25 team look pretty slim

Marillac

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2012, 07:07:53 PM »

If u look at norm recruits, there was always an article that said they had interest from other major schools.  Maybe this guy will turn out to be good but I've never heard of him and I suspect that none of you have either until recently.  This is not rico gathers or jakar Sampson we are taking about.  We will have more bodies next year no matter what.  The chances of us being a top 25 team look pretty slim

Give it a rest.  This kid is leading the state of Cali in scoring and rebounding.  Anyone that pulls down near 20 boards A GAME is a player.  Norm brought in one JUCO big man, Aaron Spears.  Spears averaged 10 and 10 and his role was shrinking by the game at Highland CC.

We have a roster with five freshmen top 75 RSCI guys and a kid that should cetainly have been there in Phil Greene.  Norm never came close to that.  Who cares if Lavin pads the roster with some JUCO players that fill areas of need.  Not every player has to be a star.

Moose

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2012, 07:10:43 PM »

Give it a rest.  This kid is leading the state of Cali in scoring and rebounding.  Anyone that pulls down near 20 boards A GAME is a player.  Norm brought in one JUCO big man, Aaron Spears.  Spears averaged 10 and 10 and his role was shrinking by the game at Highland CC.

We have a roster with five freshmen top 75 RSCI guys and a kid that should cetainly have been there in Phil Greene.  Norm never came close to that.  Who cares if Lavin pads the roster with some JUCO players that fill areas of need.  Not every player has to be a star.

Exactly we don't need stars.  We have Option 1 and 2 in Harkless and Harrison.  You can argue with have Option 3 between Greene and Branch next year.  If we add Jakarr he is definitely Option 3 and the others slide into 4.  At that point we just need complimentary players.  What I like most about Young's quotes were he felt his strength was passing from the blocks.  He said he analyzes tape to see how defenses rotate and react and feeds off being involved in the scoring play.

paultzman

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2012, 07:25:57 PM »

+1 Moose. At times all sense of rational thinking is absent in looking objectively at what the potential of this program is.

Exactly we don't need stars.  We have Option 1 and 2 in Harkless and Harrison.  You can argue with have Option 3 between Greene and Branch next year.  If we add Jakarr he is definitely Option 3 and the others slide into 4.  At that point we just need complimentary players.  What I like most about Young's quotes were he felt his strength was passing from the blocks.  He said he analyzes tape to see how defenses rotate and react and feeds off being involved in the scoring play.

paultzman

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2012, 07:27:27 PM »
Well said man!

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2012, 01:36:25 PM »
I agree. I am confident that we have the scoring we need to play. Harkless and Harrison as the 1 and 2 options. I also believe Pointer, Garrett and Greene will improve their shot and ball handling in the off season. Branch is the unknown. However, I am confident he will do well. Therefore, we have plenty of other scoring options. What we need more than anything is some extra bodies who can play some defense so we can mix it up more to play man/pressure and less of the zone. 

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2012, 07:15:15 PM »
St. John's needs to go into next season with AT LEAST (11) scholarship players and preferrably (12) for depth reasons.

We need another PG, [two] Power Forwards, true-Center, Wing/Small Foward.

NYCoffey

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2012, 07:57:06 PM »
St. John's needs to go into next season with AT LEAST (11) scholarship players and preferrably (12) for depth reasons.

We need another PG, [two] Power Forwards, true-Center, Wing/Small Foward.

So this way we have 4 pt guards and 1 center next year. That should work. Who ever we sign and whatever their positions or ranks, most on this board wont be happy. I am almost not looking forward to the next commit because I will crap myself when the first "Thats all Lavins got" comment comes.

sju89tr

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2012, 08:07:31 PM »
I am not sure that we need a point guard although we have to wait for Branch to be eligible. I think we get a 2, 3/4 combo , 4, and a 4/5. I don't see us using more than 4 ships and Lavin will save 2 for 2013 plus GG ship and most likely Moe's but not sure how many we will have for 2014.

Sampson, Sheppard, Young, and Parga would be fine by me with Obekpa as an obvious need. I like taking 2 juco to provide some maturity to the team and turning the ships back over for the 2014 class.

SJU79

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2012, 12:42:54 PM »
I wouldnt know this kid if he was sitting next to me at diner but I did just get off the phone with somebody who I trust that says hes a better prospect than Achiwa

paultzman

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2012, 01:36:15 PM »
I wouldnt know this kid if he was sitting next to me at diner but I did just get off the phone with somebody who I trust that says hes a better prospect than Achiwa

Hope so!

desco80

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2012, 01:38:29 PM »
I agree. I am confident that we have the scoring we need to play. Harkless and Harrison as the 1 and 2 options. I also believe Pointer, Garrett and Greene will improve their shot and ball handling in the off season. Branch is the unknown. However, I am confident he will do well. Therefore, we have plenty of other scoring options. What we need more than anything is some extra bodies who can play some defense so we can mix it up more to play man/pressure and less of the zone.

I'm definitely in favor of Young.  From the info that is coming out about him, he sounds like he'd be the kind've role player we need.
However i disagree that we don't need another "plus" player, or that our scoring options can remain status quo.   We're one of the worst scoring teams in the conference.  And among the worst shooting teams in the country.   From the foul line, the field, and behind the arc. 

Part of the way we fix that is by adding little pieces, so more rest, a better point guard, etc will improve our offense.   But as is we have no second unit.  We need another scoring option or two.  I think we can accomplish that through a number of smaller improvements; including seeing slightly more production form Dom and Amir.    And adding a shooter who can play 10 minutes a night. 

But, I see a lot that needs to improve on the offensive end, beyond just resting guys.   Role players are good, but remember these recruits we bring in are going to need to play meaningful minutes for us right out of the gate.  We need a few more who can put the ball in the hoop.

Moose

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2012, 02:17:34 PM »

I'm definitely in favor of Young.  From the info that is coming out about him, he sounds like he'd be the kind've role player we need.
However i disagree that we don't need another "plus" player, or that our scoring options can remain status quo.   We're one of the worst scoring teams in the conference.  And among the worst shooting teams in the country.   From the foul line, the field, and behind the arc. 

Part of the way we fix that is by adding little pieces, so more rest, a better point guard, etc will improve our offense.   But as is we have no second unit.  We need another scoring option or two.  I think we can accomplish that through a number of smaller improvements; including seeing slightly more production form Dom and Amir.    And adding a shooter who can play 10 minutes a night. 

But, I see a lot that needs to improve on the offensive end, beyond just resting guys.   Role players are good, but remember these recruits we bring in are going to need to play meaningful minutes for us right out of the gate.  We need a few more who can put the ball in the hoop.

Stats are all skewed based on the fact we have no bodies, playing the entire game and forcing bad shots.  That will change when more bodies are present.

There are only so many shots to go around.  You just need big men capable a couple of jumpers a game and more importantly putbacks.  Gift will be a very good player for 15 mpg.  But at 30-35 we see his weaknesses.  Adding in Young and another big body (Zena) will alleviate the pressure. 

*Also pretty sure if you remove Nuri from the averages our FT's come back to normalcy.  The problem is we've had a few losses where they have reared their ugly head and cost us the game and everyone sees those.  However in the grand scheme they are solid.  And we get to the line a lot which is good.