Pittsburgh Game Thread

• 97 replies
Re: Pittsburgh Game Thread
« Reply #80 on: March 01, 2012, 09:09:52 AM »
Burn those F-ckin jerseys!

Be careful what you wish for...if we get rid of these they might stick is in those ghastly grey unis. everyone is wearing now.

Poison

« Reply #81 on: March 01, 2012, 09:38:16 AM »
God, I hate Pittsburgh. What a disgusting city.

DFF6

« Reply #82 on: March 01, 2012, 10:00:04 AM »

I don't think Pittsburgh is a bad town (beats Detroit and Cleveland, hands down), but it's definitely not a "destination" city like NYC, and to a lesser extent, Chicago or LA.

boo3

« Reply #83 on: March 01, 2012, 10:09:23 AM »

I don't think Pittsburgh is a bad town (beats Detroit and Cleveland, hands down), but it's definitely not a "destination" city like NYC, and to a lesser extent, Chicago or LA.

Poison hates anything that isn't NY. Its the center of the universe. If you leave your a wuss.

« Reply #84 on: March 01, 2012, 10:15:02 AM »
Nah I love those jerseys. Keep them just win more in them

+100000000
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

Poison

« Reply #85 on: March 01, 2012, 10:17:29 AM »

Poison hates anything that isn't NY. Its the center of the universe. If you leave your a wuss.

Dead on.

« Reply #86 on: March 01, 2012, 10:19:23 AM »
Hard to stop a team on fire from 3 and with our lack of muscle in the paint.  We played hard, made some great shots on O.  On to Rutgers, where it would be a nice win against a local foe for so many reasons.  We need Moe to suck it up if he can and play tough.

DFF6

« Reply #87 on: March 01, 2012, 10:38:48 AM »

Dead on.

Poison is right. NYC IS the center of the universe.  I've spent time in over a hundred cities across the country, been to London, Paris, Rome and a bunch of other cities around the world, and IMHO, NOTHING matches NYC for all that it is. 

« Reply #88 on: March 01, 2012, 03:46:33 PM »
- 14 rebounds on the night.  How is that even possible?  Gotta be a record.

- Hope Moe's ankle's OK.  Was a shell of himself when he returned.

- Announcers said it wasn't senior night.  They had it previously on a weekend game so friends and families could attend.  Sure seemed like one though.  Schedulers did us no favors with this quasi senior night and a true one at Rutgers up next to finish our season.

- You guys complaining about calls in a game we were manhandled, outplayed and outclassed is ridiculous.  There was no call the refs could have made or not made that would have helped us in this game once Moe went down.  Sometimes you're just not good enough.

« Reply #89 on: March 01, 2012, 03:51:08 PM »
- You guys complaining about calls in a game we were manhandled, outplayed and outclassed is ridiculous.  There was no call the refs could have made or not made that would have helped us in this game once Moe went down.  Sometimes you're just not good enough.

True. Doesn't mean we can't complain about the calls though. There were some pretty bad no calls.

« Reply #90 on: March 01, 2012, 04:11:57 PM »

I agree with Poison.

crgreen

« Reply #91 on: March 01, 2012, 09:16:20 PM »

Dead on.

Poison is right. NYC IS the center of the universe.  I've spent time in over a hundred cities across the country, been to London, Paris, Rome and a bunch of other cities around the world, and IMHO, NOTHING matches NYC for all that it is.

I don't think I've ever read that phrase since I entered the Jungle 2 years ago!   ;)

« Reply #92 on: March 01, 2012, 09:20:03 PM »

Dead on.

I don't think I've ever read that phrase since I entered the Jungle 2 years ago!   ;)

I think Posion is 1 of the best posters on this board

Marillac

« Reply #93 on: March 02, 2012, 01:06:46 AM »

- Announcers said it wasn't senior night.  They had it previously on a weekend game so friends and families could attend.  Sure seemed like one though.  Schedulers did us no favors with this quasi senior night and a true one at Rutgers up next to finish our season.

Horrible last paragraph outta you Carmine.  Taylor basically drop kicked Garret (who had position) to the floor to finish the dunk.  The refs let the Pitt bits get away with murder yet called us for ticky-tack and-ones without giving it to us on the other end.  Refs were very one-sided, but that is not why we lost.  14 boards is why we lost.

« Reply #94 on: March 02, 2012, 08:47:07 AM »

Horrible last paragraph outta you Carmine.  Taylor basically drop kicked Garret (who had position) to the floor to finish the dunk.  The refs let the Pitt bits get away with murder yet called us for ticky-tack and-ones without giving it to us on the other end.  Refs were very one-sided, but that is not why we lost.  14 boards is why we lost.

Boxscore shows 16 fouls on Pitt and 16 on us?  This was not last years Ucla game.  I thought the officiating was fine.

« Reply #95 on: March 02, 2012, 07:19:14 PM »
Sometimes fouls call are even but one team actually commits twice as many as the other team.  There have been several games this year where I felt the other team's gameplan was to rough us up---and they got away with it.  Pitt was one of those games.

« Reply #96 on: March 02, 2012, 11:42:56 PM »
Sometimes fouls call are even but one team actually commits twice as many as the other team.

Please point out for me the games that the foul calls were even but SJU actually committed twice as many as the other team?

There have been several games this year where I felt the other team's gameplan was to rough us up---and they got away with it.  Pitt was one of those games.

Were there also several games this year where you felt is was St. Johns gameplan to rough up the opponent but we got away with it?

Get my point?  We're not able to look at the officiating objectively because we're too emotionally invested into it.  I guarantee you that in many of the same games we complained about calls,  the other teams fans were complaining just as adamantly about calls in the other direction.

It's just the nature of the beast.

For my money,  in a game in which the exact same number of foul calls were made on each team and we were COMPLETELY outclassed and blown out,  it's just crying sour grapes to blame zebras.

« Reply #97 on: March 02, 2012, 11:55:01 PM »
I'm not blaming the officials for our loss to Pitt.  Only that they got away with a lot of missed calls.  There was an instance where Amir was driving to the basket and the defender grabbed his arm and yanked it back.  No foul was called and Pitt was given the ball on the out of bounds.  The Taylor dunk over Harrison's back was clearly a foul.  There were many others.

As for us playing rough, I haven't seen it all year.  I'm sure that is due to the short rotation and trying to avoid foul trouble.  We tend to commit more of the silly touch fouls.