Big Recruiting Weekend

• 93 replies
Re: Big Recruiting Weekend
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2012, 07:43:37 PM »
He also tweeted about being at the SF/LA baseball game today. 

Any experts that can connect the dots?

That puts him in the Bay area...but todays the last game of that series, so he could be headed anywhere by Saturday.

By the way, on a UCLA board, they'd be ripping him a new one for a month for attending a baseball game instead of attending to his coaching duties.  I'm not kidding.  It really happened in 2002.

Here at St. John's , we like our coaches to be well rounded individuals.  We want them to have interests outside of just coaching basketball.  Maybe baseball, movies, reading, a hot wife...

But, then again, we don't have all the Championship trophies that UCLA has.

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2012, 08:02:41 PM »
The big recruiting weekend begins tomorrow night when Moe Harless is taken in the 1st round, further bolstering our rep.
@Coachnice persong

ras

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2012, 08:33:55 PM »
He also tweeted about being at the SF/LA baseball game today. 

Any experts that can connect the dots?
NYs are tough if you loose. But SJU s expectations are realistic. At UCLA during Lavin,any thing less then a final 4 was a failure.

That puts him in the Bay area...but todays the last game of that series, so he could be headed anywhere by Saturday.

By the way, on a UCLA board, they'd be ripping him a new one for a month for attending a baseball game instead of attending to his coaching duties.  I'm not kidding.  It really happened in 2001.

Wasn't that story a little broader though CR ?    Didn't Lavin call a recruit from the Dodger's Gm's cell phone? Or something along those lines..
I remember reading Bruin fans flipping out about potential violations at the time.

It mutated.   He and the Dodgers GM made a joke call to a mutual buddy (a fellow head coach) and razz him about a recruit - unfortunately hit the wrong speed dial number, and left the message on  a recruits mom's phone  (I believe it was Jamal Sampson).   It wasn't a violations isssue - it was an angry mom, until Lavin apologized.  On the boards,  Mistakes Happen became, idiot mistake, which became "what was he doing at a ball game".   It fit in with the report that the board moderator posted about Steve watching the Montel Williams show mid-day instead of recruiting  - yep - he'd taken a whole half hour out of an 14 hour workday.    It all fed into the Lazy SOB mantra that was propagated thruout the 3 Bruin boards at the time - and lasted months.   The mantra evolved into "The Dodger game/Montel/The Exercise Bike".   I'm assuming you guys have seen enuf in the last 2 years to know what a crock  a tag of "laziness" is in regard to Steve Lavin.  There was an agenda, and it was unfortunately very successful in undermining the program.

That stuff bothers me from crazy fans.  Do people spend all waking hours of their day doing their job?  People are allowed to have lives.  All the more reason UCLA fans had some unrealistic expectations.

Agree moose.  Drives me crazy too.  It's why I think Lavin is in a good spot at SJU.  He has overall a by supportive fan base and administration.  I'd like nothing more than for Lavin to enjoy all his time here, all the while building a top notch program.

I think that's the benefit of being the St Johns coach in nyc... when you're good and the team does well, you get all the headlines.   And when you have a  "down" year, there's enough going on with the Mets, Jets, Giants, Yankees etc that you don't draw a lot of criticism.   At UCLA he was constantly under a microscope.   Here, for the most part he's only going to get praise when he does well.    When we suck.. people just forget about the program, they don't get angry enough to cause any change.  As we've all seen.
Its tough if you loose in NYC. But SJU has more realistic expectations then UCLA had. If you didnt make the final 4, the season was a dissappointment.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 11:42:21 PM by ras »

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2012, 08:54:14 PM »
Chris McCullough in New York City for the pro city games coincides with Lav's tweet. Perhaps this was the big recruit Alex Kline mentioned.

Moose

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2012, 08:57:46 PM »
Chris McCullough in New York City for the pro city games coincides with Lav's tweet. Perhaps this was the big recruit Alex Kline mentioned.

Possibly.  But Chris has been on campus so many times it wouldn't really be a shock to me.  I'm expecting someone new.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2012, 09:04:15 PM »
Sorry, it is Chris who is AT St. John's unless this means something else, per twitter..

@__CMAC21 coolin, sup bro ?

Chris McCullough ‏@__CMAC21

@lightskintorin at st johns maccin tryna get a ride home

Moose

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2012, 09:07:12 PM »
Sorry, it is Chris who is AT St. John's unless this means something else, per twitter..

@__CMAC21 coolin, sup bro ?

Chris McCullough ‏@__CMAC21

@lightskintorin at st johns maccin tryna get a ride home

Yes that is correct.  8 hours ago he was at STJ.  And he was at Nike event on LES tonight.

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2012, 10:19:38 PM »
how come y'all assuming its for a player? just sayin is all....
Bobby Knight just got hired by Lavin in a new position as team vitamin water director

Moose

« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2012, 10:28:48 PM »

Chris is going to LeBron's camp on Friday so he won't be around.

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2012, 09:13:39 AM »
Looks like he is hosting a 2012 player, Christian Jones from IMG.  Originally from Texas.  Not much info on him as he appears to be an under the radar type of kid.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2012/06/28/on-draft-day-lavin-is-still-recruiting/

Happy

« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2012, 09:19:41 AM »
Looks like he is hosting a 2012 player, Christian Jones from IMG.  Originally from Texas.  Not much info on him as he appears to be an under the radar type of kid.

I know nothing about him.. but the kid looks put together and looks like a silly athlete.

Christian Jones 2k10 - 2k11 college recruitment reel

Moose

« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2012, 09:22:16 AM »

Yeah pretty much nothing out there on him.  Surprised we are still looking for '12

« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2012, 09:24:04 AM »
I don't know about his competition, but the kid can fly. I wonder why or how he stayed under the radar.

MCNPA

« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2012, 09:26:50 AM »

Yeah pretty much nothing out there on him.  Surprised we are still looking for '12

If we're looking for 12', it means the staff thinks the kid is a real gamer.   Lavin wants to start winning now.  I'm fine going into next year with one ship.  I want this team to be gamers with depth to spare.

Happy

« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2012, 09:27:25 AM »

I know nothing about him.. but the kid looks put together and looks like a silly athlete.

I have seen him listed at 6'6 ..Not so sure he is a 6'8 PF.. and agree with Moose that i'm not sure why we are still recruiting for this year.

MCNPA

« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2012, 09:32:28 AM »

I have seen him listed at 6'6 ..Not so sure he is a 6'8 PF.. and agree with Moose that i'm not sure why we are still recruiting for this year.

Looks like a Gathers-type.  Undersized Thomas Robinson.  Either way, looks like a bull and a heck of an athlete.  If Wood not coming, I'd prefer a kid like this.  No problem with the staff not saving scholarships.

mkras99

« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2012, 09:40:22 AM »

Looks like a Gathers-type.  Undersized Thomas Robinson.  Either way, looks like a bull and a heck of an athlete.  If Wood not coming, I'd prefer a kid like this.  No problem with the staff not saving scholarships.

We must be watching different highlight videos, because I see none of that.

Moose

« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2012, 09:40:50 AM »
His Twitter page he calls himself a guard/forward so not a PF.

Moose

« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2012, 09:41:52 AM »
Also its pretty much July.  Why is there nothing on this kid?