Big Recruiting Weekend

• 93 replies

MCNPA

Re: Big Recruiting Weekend
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2012, 09:43:09 AM »
http://hthoops.com/2012/05/05/christian-jones-has-crazy-bounce-takes-off-from-freethrow-line-with-ease-short-dunk-mix/

Let me rephrase.  He's an absurd athlete.  Those long dunks are effortless and he just drops the ball in.  This team is already a bunch of thoroughbreds.  Add another like that is crazy.

« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2012, 09:44:22 AM »
Looks like he is hosting a 2012 player, Christian Jones from IMG.  Originally from Texas.  Not much info on him as he appears to be an under the radar type of kid.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2012/06/28/on-draft-day-lavin-is-still-recruiting/

I know nothing about him.. but the kid looks put together and looks like a silly athlete.

Christian Jones 2k10 - 2k11 college recruitment reel

I have seen him listed at 6'6 ..Not so sure he is a 6'8 PF.. and agree with Moose that i'm not sure why we are still recruiting for this year.

Looks like a Gathers-type.  Undersized Thomas Robinson.  Either way, looks like a bull and a heck of an athlete.  If Wood not coming, I'd prefer a kid like this.  No problem with the staff not saving scholarships.

We must be watching different highlight videos, because I see none of that.

You  dont?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Moose

« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2012, 09:45:15 AM »
Looks like he is hosting a 2012 player, Christian Jones from IMG.  Originally from Texas.  Not much info on him as he appears to be an under the radar type of kid.

I know nothing about him.. but the kid looks put together and looks like a silly athlete.

I have seen him listed at 6'6 ..Not so sure he is a 6'8 PF.. and agree with Moose that i'm not sure why we are still recruiting for this year.

Looks like a Gathers-type.  Undersized Thomas Robinson.  Either way, looks like a bull and a heck of an athlete.  If Wood not coming, I'd prefer a kid like this.  No problem with the staff not saving scholarships.

You  dont?

Me neither.  Gathers and TRob are Mac Trucks.
This kid is a guard/forward jumping jack.
Remember who broke the Slice news

MCNPA

« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2012, 09:45:32 AM »

He looked pretty big from the first vid and more like a PF.  Looks more built like a wing from second vid you posted.  Once agin, no real games here and only dunks so hard to tell.  No mistaking his athleticism though.

mkras99

« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2012, 09:47:02 AM »

You  dont?

No.  To paraphrase Jon Rothstein, there's so little Rico Gathers/Thomas Robinson in Christian Jones (at least based on this highlight video).  Kid looks like a good athlete, not at all like a bull in the post.  Then again, that highlight video seems to be before his time at IMG.  Maybe he's grown, maybe his skill set is different, but I don't see the comparison that Marcus made at all.

Moose

« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2012, 09:50:33 AM »
Also I don't think this is who Kline was referring to.

MCNPA

« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2012, 09:53:02 AM »

You  dont?

No.  To paraphrase Jon Rothstein, there's so little Rico Gathers/Thomas Robinson in Christian Jones (at least based on this highlight video).  Kid looks like a good athlete, not at all like a bull in the post.  Then again, that highlight video seems to be before his time at IMG.  Maybe he's grown, maybe his skill set is different, but I don't see the comparison that Marcus made at all.

Once again, I thought from first vid and description that he was more in the 6'7" 230lb range.  It seems he's built a bit more like Sir'Dom from further examination.  Was cursory eval of a few dunks.

Moose

« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2012, 09:56:11 AM »

You  dont?

Once again, I thought from first vid and description that he was more in the 6'7" 230lb range.  It seems he's built a bit more like Sir'Dom from further examination.  Was cursory eval of a few dunks.

Well you spelled his name right, at least ;)

paultzman

« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2012, 10:38:52 AM »
He did have an unofficial visit to Baylor in June, must have some ability. Late qualifier?
Scroll down to small item

http://www.ourdailybears.com/2012/6/4/3062752/a-few-interesting-morning-tweets

He also played w Texas Elite team w Branch

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=5067044
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 10:45:21 AM by paultzman »

« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2012, 10:56:39 AM »
Query whether Branch, D-Lo and Greene have been in the coaches ears about this kid being under-recruited..

paultzman

« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2012, 10:57:36 AM »
Lastly, was only ranked #67 on Texas web site, while Harrison was 3 & Branch 5. Hopefully a late bloomer, who btw is 6'6 unless he has grown.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/texashoops/football/recruiting/rankings/rank-2335
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 10:58:41 AM by paultzman »

gman

« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2012, 10:59:44 AM »
Zags has a blog out saying the kid has a lot of connections to our team. Also said mcullough was on campus Wednesday with his way coach.

desco80

« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2012, 12:13:34 PM »

You  dont?

I actually agree with you on this one.   He may not be Gathers/T-Rob, but the kid doesn't look like a shooting guard.    He's pretty well built and taller than most kids on the floor.   Maybe he's grown a little since those 6'5 - 6'6 numbers were posted?    There really is very little on him out there.
But he looks like a slightly taller and wider-shouldered Sir'Dom.   Who knows maybe he's even grown an inch or two in the last year...  a 6'8 Sir'Dom would be a valuable weapon.

Doesn't look like he can handle the ball all that well though, and I can't see enough of him shooting to know if he has a reliable shot.

But I see where you were coming from with the Gathers comparison.   I can see some of that here too.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 12:18:49 PM by desco80 »

Chilleb

« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2012, 12:34:37 PM »
I trust the staff but really confused with this.. We have 40 kids who play his position already

« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2012, 12:51:39 PM »
I trust the staff but really confused with this.. We have 40 kids who play his position already

Same here

Chilleb

« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2012, 12:59:17 PM »
Not only that our next two recruiting classes hold potential studs at those positions too. Talk about log jam, have we given up on lawrence?

crgreen

« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2012, 01:48:38 PM »
Not only that our next two recruiting classes hold potential studs at those positions too. Talk about log jam, have we given up on lawrence?

Steve anticipating up to 4 departures after this season.

Moose

« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2012, 01:50:54 PM »

You read that from somewhere or heard that from source?
I have a gut feeling of 1 early departure but that's it.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 01:51:24 PM by Moose »

paultzman

« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2012, 01:53:10 PM »
Four seems quite excessive CR.

Chilleb

« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2012, 01:53:58 PM »

Lav must be the oracle because I only see 1. Possibly 2