RIP
                                       Lloyd Dove
                                        2/14/1983

Re: Gone 30 years
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 05:20:54 PM »

RIP
                                       Lloyd Dove
                                        2/14/1983

Damn man. It been that long? Remember readin bout it in the News when I was a lil biddy.

One of the greatest.

Peace.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 08:51:52 AM »
Remember his last game in the old Garden. All sorts of birds released at the opening tap. Beat N.Y.U. when beating them meant as much as beating any of our BE rivals today. He was a joy to watch.

sju89tr

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 09:14:30 AM »
I'm not old enough to remember him but I saw him play on some of those MSG classic games, his game was smooth.

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 09:22:11 AM »
certainly one of the very best players we ever had.

chosen 4th overall in the 67 nba draft.

i don't know about the 40s and 50s...but no st john's player has been taken higher since.

paultzman

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 09:22:37 AM »
Dating myself, but I saw Sonny battle Lewis Alcindor at Fordham in CHSAA playoffs, classic game with Power Memorial prevailing.

sju89tr

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 09:39:45 AM »
Dating myself, but I saw Sonny battle Lewis Alcindor at Fordham in CHSAA playoffs, classic game with Power Memorial prevailing.

Geez!

Did you ever help get the basketball out of the peach basket ? LOL

Just kidding Paultz   

redslope

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 10:22:59 AM »
Loved his game; think of him when I cross that dam bridge.  Should never have happened.

Moose

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 10:41:55 AM »
Loved his game; think of him when I cross that dam bridge.  Should never have happened.

For someone who is relatively younger can you share more details for those who aren't aware of his story and such?
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2013, 10:48:28 AM »

For someone who is relatively younger can you share more details for those who aren't aware of his story and such?

Sonny Dove, St. John's Star In 1960's, Dies in Car Plunge
The New York Times
February 15, 1983, Tuesday, Late City Final Edition
HEADLINE: Sonny Dove, St. John's Star In 1960's, Dies in Car Plunge

BYLINE: By GLENN FOWLER

BODY:
Lloyd (Sonny) Dove, a basketball star at St. John's University in the 1960's who later played professionally for the Detroit Pistons and the New York Nets, died early yesterday of injuries he suffered when a taxicab he was driving plunged into the Gowanus Canal in Brooklyn.

Mr. Dove, who was 37 years old and lived in Brooklyn, was the fifth-highest scorer and second-ranked rebounder in St. John's basketball history. His last of three seasons as a collegian was 1966-67, when he captained a team that won 23 games and lost five.

He was born in New York, was a standout at St. Francis Prep and was among the most heavily recruited schoolboys in the city. After college, Mr. Dove, a 6-foot-8-inch forward, was the firstround draft choice of both the Detroit Pistons of the National Basketball Association and the New Jersey Americans, who later became the Nets, of the American Basketball Association.

He spent two seasons with Detroit, then switched to the Nets, for whom he played three seasons. He averaged 11.1 points in five pro seasons, his career having been cut short by a leg injury suffered in a bicycle accident. Subsequently, he returned to St. John's and completed his studies for a bachelor's degree in communications, then worked as a television reporter in Florida.

Broadcast Redmen's Games

For the last two seasons, Mr. Dove was the commentator on radio broadcasts of St. John's games over stations WGBB and WNYE-FM. His last commentary was delivered during last Wednesday's victory by St. John's over Georgetown at Landover, Md.

On Sunday evening, in his second job as a taxi driver, he was on Hamilton Avenue in South Brooklyn heading west toward the Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel. He apparently did not see a flagman who was stopping traffic because a drawbridge had been raised for a vessel to pass through.

According to Abel Silver, a spokesman for the city's Department of Transportation, a safety gate was inoperative because of a power failure. The cab skidded off the road and plunged 25 feet into 10 feet of water. The police of the Emergency Service Division removed Mr. Dove from the cab, and he was taken to Long Island College Hospital in Brooklyn, where he was pronounced dead at about 3 A.M.

Mr. Silver said a preliminary investigation indicated that proper safety precautions had been taken at the drawbridge. Besides his wife, from whom he was separated, Mr. Dove is survived by a daughter, Zana.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

Moose

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2013, 11:00:20 AM »

The New York Times

BODY:
Lloyd (Sonny) Dove, a basketball star at St. John's University in the 1960's who later played professionally for the Detroit Pistons and the New York Nets, died early yesterday of injuries he suffered when a taxicab he was driving plunged into the Gowanus Canal in Brooklyn.

Mr. Dove, who was 37 years old and lived in Brooklyn, was the fifth-highest scorer and second-ranked rebounder in St. John's basketball history. His last of three seasons as a collegian was 1966-67, when he captained a team that won 23 games and lost five.

He was born in New York, was a standout at St. Francis Prep and was among the most heavily recruited schoolboys in the city. After college, Mr. Dove, a 6-foot-8-inch forward, was the firstround draft choice of both the Detroit Pistons of the National Basketball Association and the New Jersey Americans, who later became the Nets, of the American Basketball Association.

He spent two seasons with Detroit, then switched to the Nets, for whom he played three seasons. He averaged 11.1 points in five pro seasons, his career having been cut short by a leg injury suffered in a bicycle accident. Subsequently, he returned to St. John's and completed his studies for a bachelor's degree in communications, then worked as a television reporter in Florida.

Broadcast Redmen's Games

For the last two seasons, Mr. Dove was the commentator on radio broadcasts of St. John's games over stations WGBB and WNYE-FM. His last commentary was delivered during last Wednesday's victory by St. John's over Georgetown at Landover, Md.

On Sunday evening, in his second job as a taxi driver, he was on Hamilton Avenue in South Brooklyn heading west toward the Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel. He apparently did not see a flagman who was stopping traffic because a drawbridge had been raised for a vessel to pass through.

According to Abel Silver, a spokesman for the city's Department of Transportation, a safety gate was inoperative because of a power failure. The cab skidded off the road and plunged 25 feet into 10 feet of water. The police of the Emergency Service Division removed Mr. Dove from the cab, and he was taken to Long Island College Hospital in Brooklyn, where he was pronounced dead at about 3 A.M.

Mr. Silver said a preliminary investigation indicated that proper safety precautions had been taken at the drawbridge. Besides his wife, from whom he was separated, Mr. Dove is survived by a daughter, Zana.

Thanks.  That is horrible story.
Remember who broke the Slice news

sju89tr

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 11:17:04 AM »

The New York Times

BODY:

Broadcast Redmen's Games

Thanks.  That is horrible story.

I knew he passed away at a young age in an accident but didn't know the details. What a shame as he would still be a great spokesman for the school like Billy Shaeffer and Mel Davis.

We have unfortunately lost greats like Reggie Carter Malik Sealy and Sonny Dove.

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2013, 01:07:40 PM »

Are you sure St. Francis Prep didn't win that game? Or at least Dove outplayed Alcindor as it was a senior sophomore match up.
My memory gone and my mind is following

Geez!

Did you ever help get the basketball out of the peach basket ? LOL

Just kidding Paultz

paultzman

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2013, 01:11:31 PM »
St. Francis lost, but Dove outscored Kareem I believe.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 01:13:05 PM by paultzman »

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2013, 01:52:44 PM »
I attended class with Sonny after he left the NBA and was completing his degree. We had class on Saturday morning at 8am, which was brutal for obvious reasons. What I remember was that you would have never knew who he was, an SJU legend. Very quiet and gentle.

I started to talk with him and he was an open book, discussed both the good and bad about his life. He was curious what I always did the night before, he was driving the taxi at that time, I believe. Was just a great person and was the only reason I would go to the class, despite my hangovers.

Class guy all the way.

kob24

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2013, 05:53:17 PM »
Paultzman u just showed ur age brother. But u probably saw highschool basketball in nyc at its height.

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2013, 06:04:13 PM »
Wow !! Remember it like it was yesterday. R.I. P.

paultzman

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2013, 06:09:37 PM »
Paultzman u just showed ur age brother. But u probably saw highschool basketball in nyc at its height.

Yeah, it was awesome back then. That Power Memorial team was unbelievable. Kareem from sophomore year on was the best big man I saw in high school. The Public School squads from Clinton, Boys High, Taft, Erasmus were also special. Connie Hawkins and Roger Brown, who played a few years before that, were the two best PSAL players I ever saw. Great times!

redslope

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2013, 10:35:23 PM »

Choz was kind enough to post the newspaper report.  Sonny died too young because of a screw up on the Hamilton Ave. bridge under the Gowanus expressway.  I cross the Gowanus frequently on its bridges and othen remember Sonny who was truly a remarkable player whose career was too short as was his life.