NIT Virginia Game predictions

• 54 replies

desco80

Re: NIT Virginia Game predictions
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2013, 03:42:24 PM »
When was the last time we really got out and ran and won a game with our transition game?

Providence last season?   
We have good athletes, but I think we as fans overrate our transition game.
We'll win by playing good D and executing offensively.  Don't turn it over, get penetration when possible, and grab offensive rebounds.  Things like that.

You didn't think we were running in the second half of the St. Joe's game? I sure thought we were.

St joes game was better than most, that's true. 
But I look at teams like Florida gulf coast or Memphis ... And damn, they really get out and run.   We can run.  We have the athletes to do it.   I just don't think we're as up and down, 'endline to endline', as I think we could be. 

« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2013, 03:46:28 PM »
When was the last time we really got out and ran and won a game with our transition game?

Providence last season?   
We'll win by playing good D and executing offensively.  Don't turn it over, get penetration when possible, and grab offensive rebounds.  Things like that.

You didn't think we were running in the second half of the St. Joe's game? I sure thought we were.

But I look at teams like Florida gulf coast or Memphis ... And damn, they really get out and run.   We can run.  We have the athletes to do it.   I just don't think we're as up and down, 'endline to endline', as I think we could be. 

Agree with you desco. The difference IMO is that while our front court is full of elite athletes compared to other teams, our back court is not. Greene and branch are no slouches athletically, but peyton siva or russ smith they are not.  You need the guards to get out and run.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 03:47:53 PM by Amaseinyourface2 »
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Moose

Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2013, 03:57:09 PM »
#3 in the BE.  Maybe that was the extent of his discussion.  I just remember being surprised that we were as high as we were.

redslope

« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2013, 10:00:06 PM »
ESPN puts a Catholic school on TV on Palm Sunday at 11AM when they could have had this for a national audience on Monday night--could this be a "Foxy" move on their part to screw the C7?   ;)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 10:00:23 PM by redslope »

« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2013, 10:43:14 PM »

Providence last season?   

Yeah I agree, I always thought it's kind of funny how they make such better plays when they are running. They make better decisions, its almost like they aren't stopping and thinking and just letting their instincts take over.

desco80

« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2013, 10:48:08 PM »

Providence last season?   

Yeah I agree, I always thought it's kind of funny how they make such better plays when they are running. They make better decisions, its almost like they aren't stopping and thinking and just letting their instincts take over.

Bingo.  I think our guys absolutely think too much when we get into the half court. 
They play with instincts in the open court. 

« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2013, 09:27:57 AM »
We seem to have a much better chance of scoring a basket on a fast break than we do in a half-court set.

paultzman

« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2013, 10:01:54 AM »
"Pointer is the fourth-leading scorer on the team, averaging seven points per game. It's time for him to be more aggressive -- especially with leading scorer D'Angelo Harrison suspended. Pointer is shooting 52 percent from the field on the season -- but he takes only 4.7 shots per game! By comparison, Phil Greene has taken more than twice as many shots as Pointer, and is shooting just 36.8 percent.

Even against St. Joe's, Pointer only took seven shots from the field, making six of them.
Pointer has shown an improved touch from the perimeter this season, and he can penetrate, too. He's capable of providing more offense, to a team that desperately needs it."

“@KieranDarcy: W2W4: St. John's at Virginia http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/colleges/post/_/id/5878/w2w4-st-johns-at-virginia

Tiznow

« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2013, 10:03:05 AM »
This team does better going up and down because Sir Dom runs the break. 
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 10:03:27 AM by Tiznow »

Poison

« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2013, 10:23:56 AM »
ESPN puts a Catholic school on TV on Palm Sunday at 11AM when they could have had this for a national audience on Monday night--could this be a "Foxy" move on their part to screw the C7?   ;)

ESPN, probably doesn't give a crap.

dR3w

« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2013, 10:51:22 AM »
At the game.  Got to meet Dom's dad outside :)

dR3w

« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2013, 10:58:02 AM »
I think Phil missed every shot in warmup

desco80

« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2013, 01:27:14 PM »
At the game.  Got to meet Dom's dad outside :)

Dom had a rough game, but I still think he's in store for a big things his junior and senior seasons.   

UVA crowd seemed brutal on tv.   I wanted to punch them every time I heard them moan dramatically after a call they didn't get, when so much was going their way. 
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 01:27:28 PM by desco80 »

Tiznow

« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2013, 02:00:36 PM »

ESPN, probably doesn't give a crap.

St John's and UVA did not seem to give a crap either.  It is all about filling ESPN's programming and counting the money.

I guess that's why we have Mass on Saturday and Sunday night.