Bobby Maze - PG - Hutchinson CC - Washington, D.C - TENNESSEE

• 17 replies
Bobby Maze - PG - Hutchinson CC - Washington, D.C - TENNESSEE
« on: December 10, 2007, 05:45:53 PM »
Maze, 6 feet 2, 180 pounds, has taken a circuitous rout to College Park. He starred at Suitland High School, playing AAU ball with Kevin Durant and North Carolina’s Tywon Lawson on the D.C. Devils.

After being named honorable mention All-Met by The Washington Post in 2004 during his senior year, Maze took his game to Patterson (N.C.) Prep to get his grades in order.

At Patterson, Maze began receiving some pretty lofty comparisons.

“Everyone’s been saying I look just like Allen Iverson,” said the 6-foot-2, 180-pound Patterson School (N.C.) guard. “We’re going to do a commercial together.”
Maze is joking about the commercial, but his game has been anything but humorous lately.

The haircut, headband and sleeve on his arm aren’t the only thing that Maze and Iverson have had in common lately. Maze, who averaged 26 points per game last season as a senior at Suitland High (Md.), has shown that he can get by defenders virtually at will and get to the basket.

After weighing offers from Oklahoma, Wake Forest, Cincinnati, Kansas State and Seton Hall, according to DeaconSports.com, Maze chose the Sooners.

A broken foot sidelined Maze for the first seven games of his freshman season at Oklahoma, but he rebounded by averaging 5.6 points and 2.1 assists in 22 games for the Sooners.

After the conclusion of the 2006-07 season, however, Maze was released from the Oklahoma program, a move that was brought on by “practice habits and overall attitude,” according to the Tulsa (Okla.) World.

“Bobby and I met last week and we came to an agreement that he and our program will part ways,” OU coach Jeff Capel said in a statement. “This decision is best for Bobby and for our team.”

No more details were offered, and Maze could not be reached for comment. However, sources close to the program said that Maze’s freshman season was marked by immaturity and poor decisions, and that pattern continued into the first weeks of OU’s offseason.

Maze told TSR’s Jeff Ermann that he wasn’t dismissed from the Sooners. Rather, he and Capel “came to an understanding.”

After leaving Norman, Okla., Maze moved on to Hutchinson, Kan., where he’s currently averaging approximately 20 points and 7 assists per game for the traditional JuCo power.

Maze will have two years of eligibility remaining
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 06:03:57 PM by kjd01067 »
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Tha Kid

Re: Bobby Maze
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 12:51:38 PM »
El Hombre misterioso?
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 07:58:48 PM »
dismissed from the Oklahoma basketball team,5.6 points and 2.1 assists as a freshman

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007, 07:55:50 PM »
verbal commitment to Maryland   

Re: Bobby Maze - PG - Hutchinson CC - Washington D.C
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 12:01:39 PM »
is on the outs at Maryland.... open game again it appears.

Re: Bobby Maze - PG - Hutchinson CC - Washington, D.C
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 04:33:23 PM »
These type of journeymen players scary me but beggars can't be choosers
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

kjd01067

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 04:51:06 PM »
is on the outs at Maryland.... open game again it appears.

http://jucojunction.rivals.com....asp?CID=800768

April 23, 2008

Bobby Maze had a great year for the Hutchinson Community College Blue Dragons. Maze made first team all-American by the NJCAA. Bobby started his college career at the University of Oklahoma before landing at Hutchinson this past fall. JucoJunction found out some information on the Maze front.

Maze had committed to Maryland back in the fall. Bobby averaged 20.7 ppg, 6.8 assists and 4.5 rebounds this season while shooting 50.5%(248-491) from the floor for the Blue Dragons. Cincinnati, Kentucky and St. John's are all recruiting Maze at this time according to Swanson.

"Bobby has no interest in Maryland now," said Swanson.

Thomas Olik

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 09:23:10 PM »
Looks like we definitely have a chance on this guy.

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 08:10:43 AM »
Seems like a headcase based on those articles.

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2008, 11:41:09 AM »

beggars cant be choosers
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2008, 12:36:51 PM »

It appears he left Oklahoma because him and Capel didn't see eye to eye...whatever that means.  My guess is they had a blowout and he was asked to transfer.

He was starting there by the end of his freshman year though.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2008, 12:44:52 PM »
I'd prefer Maze over Edmondson by pure skill and the fact of a 2 yr vs 4 yr commitment

Poison

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2008, 01:23:35 PM »

he seems like a loose canon but sju was much better with thugs than they are with nice guys.
If he isn't wanted for murder, i really don't what he's done.

If he can play who cares?

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2008, 05:48:21 PM »

http://njmg.typepad.com/zagsblog/2008/04/bobby-maze-upda.html
Bobby Maze Update
Despite reports saying that Bobby Maze would visit St. John's this past weekend, he did not come to New York.

"Bobby is visiting Cincinnati this weekend, Kentucky the weekend after that," Hutchison (Kan.) Community College coach Ryan Swanson said by email. "No visit has been set yet for St. John's." 

Maze averaged 20.7 points and was named NJCAA All-American this past season at Hutchison. He initially committed to Maryland but both sides agreed to go another way after the Terps secured a pledge from Tyree Evans.

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2008, 10:57:23 AM »

he seems like a loose canon but sju was much better with thugs than they are with nice guys.
If he isn't wanted for murder, i really don't what he's done.

If he can play who cares?
How much worse is it than Mr. B & E, Aaron Spears that Roberts brought into this school?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 10:57:45 AM by Not The Sleaveless Guy »

kjd01067

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2008, 01:32:53 PM »
http://stjohns.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=802584

Despite reports saying that Bobby Maze would visit St. John's this past weekend, he did not come to New York.
"Bobby is visiting Cincinnati this weekend, Kentucky the weekend after that," Hutchison (Kan.) Community College coach Ryan Swanson said by email. "No visit has been set yet for St. John's."

Maze averaged 20.7 points and was named NJCAA All-American this past season at Hutchison. He initially committed to Maryland but both sides agreed to go another way after the Terps secured a pledge from Tyree Evans.

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2008, 04:51:29 PM »
Some classic quotes from Maze who committed to Tennessee:

“Stevie Wonder could see this is where I needed to be,’’

â€œThey’ve called me `The Solution’ here, so you do the equation: what better place could I be?’’

http://govolsxtra.com/news/2008/may/07/ ... coming-ut/