Why I'm excited

• 12 replies
Why I'm excited
« on: November 09, 2013, 12:58:15 AM »
First off the loss sucked, and we really gave up a great opportunity for an eye opening early season win. With that said I find myself very excited and optimistic tonight.  Aside from the first 15 minutes (which is no excuse and shouldn't be taken lightly) I saw some great things. I came in expecting our defense and rebounding to be good and hoping that our offense would be. I left expecting our offense to be good and hoping our defense and rebounding will be. Fortunately I think both of those will come around. There is no excuse for opening night jitters seeing as though this is an experienced team with a European tour, but I think our guys definitely had a bad case of them tonight. The first 15 were tough to watch. They were way to excited on defense and there feet and hands were all over the place. They need to realize that playing really overly physical defense isnt exactly a great thing. You have to be in control. 

The second half though I saw Hardy and Brownlee out there again. Harrison and Sampson both played phenomenally on offense.  Harrison to me looks like hes almost a full step quicker and his game looks great. I look at the game he had tonight and I think to my self what would have it looked like if he actually shot well from the outside? Hell go for 40 this year. Jakarr should watch the tape of this game and emulate his approach around it. He should stay 15 feet and in, and literally try to dunk everything. Sanchez is too good a player to get into foul trouble, we need him out there as much as anyone.  Jordan will be a really good player, with him and dlo both getting into the lane we got a lot of easy shots in the second. They will get teams into foul trouble! Obkepa should NEVER be further than 15 feet away from the hoop on defense, your a rim protector Chris, protect the rim.

Things that will hurt us all year are stupid fouls and giving up 3s , no reason why just because .. We Are..

*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

boo3

Re: Why I'm excited
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 01:11:51 AM »
 good post Mase..  I'm with you...

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 02:15:21 AM »
good post Mase..  I'm with you...
Count me in too as very excited by tonight's loss.

paultzman

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 09:23:04 AM »
First off the loss sucked, and we really gave up a great opportunity for an eye opening early season win. With that said I find myself very excited and optimistic tonight.  Aside from the first 15 minutes (which is no excuse and shouldn't be taken lightly) I saw some great things. I came in expecting our defense and rebounding to be good and hoping that our offense would be. I left expecting our offense to be good and hoping our defense and rebounding will be. Fortunately I think both of those will come around. There is no excuse for opening night jitters seeing as though this is an experienced team with a European tour, but I think our guys definitely had a bad case of them tonight. The first 15 were tough to watch. They were way to excited on defense and there feet and hands were all over the place. They need to realize that playing really overly physical defense isnt exactly a great thing. You have to be in control. 

The second half though I saw Hardy and Brownlee out there again. Harrison and Sampson both played phenomenally on offense.  Harrison to me looks like hes almost a full step quicker and his game looks great. I look at the game he had tonight and I think to my self what would have it looked like if he actually shot well from the outside? Hell go for 40 this year. Jakarr should watch the tape of this game and emulate his approach around it. He should stay 15 feet and in, and literally try to dunk everything. Sanchez is too good a player to get into foul trouble, we need him out there as much as anyone.  Jordan will be a really good player, with him and dlo both getting into the lane we got a lot of easy shots in the second. They will get teams into foul trouble! Obkepa should NEVER be further than 15 feet away from the hoop on defense, your a rim protector Chris, protect the rim.

Things that will hurt us all year are stupid fouls and giving up 3s , no reason why just because .. We Are..

Good points. Not to nit pick, but a glaring & correctable defensive void is reach in fouls by big men thirty feet from bucket. Have to have guys like Sanchez & Karr on the floor.

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, 10:54:07 AM »
The thing I am most optimistic about to help our stagnant offense is Orlando's ability to move the ball especially with his slip passes and ability to lead the break.

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2013, 10:59:33 AM »
Agree Celts -- a la what Brownlee and DJ used to do.

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2013, 11:20:58 AM »

Good points. Not to nit pick, but a glaring & correctable defensive void is reach in fouls by big men thirty feet from bucket. Have to have guys like Sanchez & Karr on the floor.

Absolutely, no reason for any of our bigs to be guarding people chest to chest 20 feet away from the hoop.

jr49

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 06:04:05 PM »
We gave up 50 in the second half. I love SJU hoops but gotta say much work to be done.

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 06:11:08 PM »
We gave up 50 in the second half. I love SJU hoops but gotta say much work to be done.
What did you expect Wisconsin is a bowl team.

hnk

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 06:51:24 PM »
Agree and'.......

1. Suppose Wisc turns out to be better than the 20th best team in the country.

2. Suppose Sanchez manages to stay out of foul trouble,  Harrison and/or Jordan don't have bad shooting first halves.

3. Suppose our team improves (gels) throughout the year as Lavin's first St. John's group did.

4.  Suppose Hoop?Borg get just a few open looks a game.

5. Suppose our defense gets just a step better.  6. Suppose Jordan gets a few games of experience.

7. Suppose few teams are hitting 50% from three even if our defense doesn't improve and suppose even we will shoot better than 18% from three.

8.  We are not talking about pigs getting wings.

NCAA's here we come!!!!!!  With a decent seed.

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2013, 06:58:28 PM »

We lost the game in the first half. We outscored them in the 2nd.

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2013, 09:55:22 PM »
Agree and'.......

1. Suppose Wisc turns out to be better than the 20th best team in the country.

2. Suppose Sanchez manages to stay out of foul trouble,  Harrison and/or Jordan don't have bad shooting first halves.

3. Suppose our team improves (gels) throughout the year as Lavin's first St. John's group did.

4.  Suppose Hoop?Borg get just a few open looks a game.

5. Suppose our defense gets just a step better.  6. Suppose Jordan gets a few games of experience.

7. Suppose few teams are hitting 50% from three even if our defense doesn't improve and suppose even we will shoot better than 18% from three.

8.  We are not talking about pigs getting wings.

NCAA's here we come!!!!!!  With a decent seed.

Good points. Im looking at Harrison and Sampson scoring a combined 50+ as a positive, but some may say if we don't win with them puttin those numbers up then we are in trouble.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 10:05:09 PM by Amaseinyourface2 »

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2013, 10:44:46 PM »

We lost the game in the first half. We outscored them in the 2nd.

Lavin totally out coached Bo Ryan in the 2nd half     ;)