THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY-LONGWOOD

• 31 replies
THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY-LONGWOOD
« on: November 26, 2013, 09:18:49 PM »
THE GOOD-
It is always fun to beat the Longwood
Harrison did not shoot well but really is far and away our best player
Obepka and the block party. Our offense is tough to watch so at least our defense is fun.
Jordan played and after a shaky start played better. Just playing at all is the good.
Pointer is our 2nd best player should play 2nd most minutes

THE BAD-
Greene came back to earth/ You knew it was going to happen. Still he did not hold the ball forever or dribble in circles so he gets a Mulligan
Free throw shooting
Bart's friend Millhouse and Dirk Diggler combined for 20 points against us
Is Orlando Sanchez still ineligible?
Random sub patterns were pretty annoying I felt
Sampson had 11 boards but since he likes to shoot so much would be nice if he made a few shots
Branch
Everyone's favorite Honkey played sparingly and bricked only 3

THE UGLY-
3-19 FROM 3
No one not named Harrison successfully made a 3
Worst offense in America
Jordan's jump shot and free throw shooting are still suspended
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 11:00:36 PM by we are sju »

Re: THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY-LONGWOOD
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 09:24:22 PM »
THE GOOD-
Obepka and the block party. Our offense is tough to watch so at least our defense is fun.
Jordan played and after a shaky start played better. Just playing at all is the good.

THE BAD-
Greene came back to earth/ You knew it was going to happen. Still he did hold the ball forever or dribble in circles so he gets a Mulligan
Free throw shooting
Sampson had 11 boards but since he likes to shoot so much would be nice if he made a few shots
Branch

THE UGLY-
3-19 FROM 3
Worst offense in America

Didnt think branch played that bad. Im not worried about Jordans shooting just yet, more concerend with his defense, really our whole teams defense. Why can every single guard in america get in the lane against us?

The first 5 minutes of the second half was the best ive seen obekpa play. He had two great blocks, went after every rebound, and was strong with the basketball.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 09:26:37 PM »
THE GOOD-

THE BAD-
Greene came back to earth/ You knew it was going to happen. Still he did hold the ball forever or dribble in circles so he gets a Mulligan
Free throw shooting
Branch

THE UGLY-
3-19 FROM 3
Worst offense in America

Didnt think branch played that bad. Im not worried about Jordans shooting just yet, more concerend with his defense, really our whole teams defense. Why can every single guard in america get in the lane against us?

The first 5 minutes of the second half was the best ive seen obekpa play. He had two great blocks, went after every rebound, and was strong with the basketball.

Branch is not a point guard either. He is not terrible but he is not a starting point on a tourney team IMO
Greene is not a point either though he is a better player than Branch
If Jordan doesn't take control I don't know if we can dance
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 09:27:07 PM by we are sju »

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 09:32:22 PM »
THE GOOD-

THE BAD-
Free throw shooting
Branch

THE UGLY-
3-19 FROM 3
Worst offense in America

Branch is not a point guard either. He is not terrible but he is not a starting point on a tourney team IMO

My biggest problem with branch is that he is good for at least one turnover a game due to a lazy pass. He is definitely a better point guard then Phil, he is the only player on the team that uses ball fakes and I still think hes the best passer, sans Jordan, on the team. How bout that oop he gave to gift today? The only problem was it was to gift.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 10:51:00 PM »
I love this thread...I want more!
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 10:55:01 PM »
THE GOOD-

THE BAD-
Free throw shooting
Branch

THE UGLY-
3-19 FROM 3
Worst offense in America

Your last point aptly summarizes our prospects

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 11:09:59 PM »
I think people need to stop worrying about the things we don't do well...stay in front of our man on D, block out, shoot, shoot free throws, pass and score. And instead concentrate on the good things. I like all the blocks. That is going to be our thing. People will talk about it. And speaking of all the blocks Obepka passed Pointer and is moving in on Harrison as my favorite player. I think he should be more involved in the offense. I even like the goofy grin Fun keeps complaining about. I think I would let Obepka run the point once a game just to see what would happen. Maybe do a reality show with him walking around campus and blocking people from doing various things. Like that Mutombo commercial.

boo3

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 11:14:05 PM »
I think people need to stop worrying about the things we don't do well...stay in front of our man on D, block out, shoot, shoot free throws, pass and score. And instead concentrate on the good things. I like all the blocks. That is going to be our thing. People will talk about it. And speaking of all the blocks Obepka passed Pointer and is moving in on Harrison as my favorite player. I think he should be more involved in the offense. I even like the goofy grin Fun keeps complaining about. I think I would let Obepka run the point once a game just to see what would happen. Maybe do a reality show with him walking around campus and blocking people from doing various things. Like that Mutombo commercial.

Did we press at all?  I starting to wonder why we just don't go full throttle 40 minutes of hell.

We have shown no 1/2 court identity ( great point TRab), have tremendous length and athletic ability, more than a few adequate ball handlers to push to rock, and we are 10 deep...easy. 

F- It.. just go for it, coach...

Poison

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 11:31:13 PM »
Offensively, this team reminds me of the 94-95 team that was loaded with talent, but played really clueless ball.

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 11:33:13 PM »
If Jordan can play, offense will be better. We can't shoot, so going to have to win ugly until/ if Jordan shows up

MCNPA

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2013, 11:34:14 PM »

Did we press at all?  I starting to wonder why we just don't go full throttle 40 minutes of hell.

We have shown no 1/2 court identity ( great point TRab), have tremendous length and athletic ability, more than a few adequate ball handlers to push to rock, and we are 10 deep...easy. 

F- It.. just go for it, coach...

Nobody presses.  I was wondering why.  It is the new rules changes. Pressing just doesn't work with the at refs call games now.  How can it?  I know Lavin would probably love to, but offensive players just drive into pressure and get calls.  The new reffing patterns have totally ruined they game that we enjoyed. 

Overall?  Eh... We won.  We still haven't played very good ball, but we won.  Need more st both ends from everybody.  I can't complain about Obekpa and Greene who do their job.  Harrison still leads us statistically, but needs to find his shot, which is a problem.  Rysheed Jordan will be fine with time.  He can play point despite reports.  He's still just gun-shy a bit.  Glad he'd back getting time. 

In the end, most important we just keep winning.  We are going to have to figure out how to play better ball though.  Penn State is no slouch, and it doesn't seem to get easier from here.  Longwood likely easiest game on our schedule.  Long way to go..

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2013, 11:40:01 PM »
The scary thing is even though early season blips happen (85 team lost to Niagara) for the most part when we really, good, good, just ok basically every team other than Norm's we blew out these cupcakes for the most part. Not sure where the confidence comes from that we are automatically going to play better against better teams? Any team that can score is going to be a big problem for us. 

boo3

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2013, 11:44:16 PM »
 Who said we will automatically play better against better teams?   Thats pretty dumb, but I doubt anyone actually said it.  People hoping for that occur?  Hell yes.

I still think the best half we played all season was 2nd half against Wisconsin, which is ironic.

Poison

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2013, 11:53:45 PM »
The scary thing is even though early season blips happen (85 team lost to Niagara) for the most part when we really, good, good, just ok basically every team other than Norm's we blew out these cupcakes for the most part. Not sure where the confidence comes from that we are automatically going to play better against better teams? Any team that can score is going to be a big problem for us. 

Brian Mahoney lost to Townson, Fordham, Iona, Cal Irvine (In the Joe L tourney), Penn, Miami (with Constantine Popa) and many of those weren't close.

Mike Jarvis lost to Samford, Hofstra twice, Fordham, Fairfield, Manhattan twice, and probably several others that I've mentally erased from my head.

Louie was the last coach to beat the patsies with regularity.

IDK who will get us, but I know it will be someone, and it will sting w familiarity.

Tiznow

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2013, 12:27:24 AM »

Brian Mahoney lost to Townson, Fordham, Iona, Cal Irvine (In the Joe L tourney), Penn, Miami (with Constantine Popa) and many of those weren't close.

Mike Jarvis lost to Samford, Hofstra twice, Fordham, Fairfield, Manhattan twice, and probably several others that I've mentally erased from my head.

IDK who will get us, but I know it will be someone, and it will sting w familiarity.

I think this team will beat Syracuse and lose to Youngstown State.

Poison

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2013, 12:30:09 AM »

I'd love to beat SU. But how could we?

Tiznow

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2013, 12:46:01 AM »

I'd love to beat SU. But how could we?

Play just a little bit better than St Francis

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2013, 01:09:38 AM »

Last time we danced, showing our only true point, Malik II, the bench and going with a pointless three guard lineup of Hardy boyz, Hilton and Prez was praised by one and all as the turning point coaching move of the season.

Why can't it happen again?

Poison

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2013, 01:17:38 AM »

Last time we danced, showing our only true point, Malik II, the bench and going with a pointless three guard lineup of Hardy boyz, Hilton and Prez was praised by one and all as the turning point coaching move of the season.

Why can't it happen again?

That team had tough as nails defenders who would throw you to the ground before giving up a layup. Our current group avoids contact. You don't need a prototypical team to win, but if aren't tough on d, and we don't have a distributor are we going to able to score enough to overcome our California vaca defense?

Lavin has been consistent so far in our 4 games with zone d. He doesn't like to press in the backcourt. Our offensive options for running are limited to our entire team trying to block shots and then run the break-which perhaps we should try in practice once in a while. Can we really afford to not hand the keys to Jordan with such a limited plan of attack?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 01:27:10 AM by Poison »

Foad

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2013, 10:15:04 AM »
I think I would let Obepka run the point once a game just to see what would happen. Maybe do a reality show with him walking around campus and blocking people from doing various things. Like that Mutombo commercial.

I'd watch. He led a fast break last night, it was pretty zany.