Rysheed and Jamal

• 36 replies
Rysheed and Jamal
« on: December 09, 2013, 02:55:29 PM »
Looking at the stats in the bigeast thus far, I noticed that Rysheed is 4th in the conference in assists per 40 minutes at 6.9 and Jamal is 8th in the conference at 6.2. Our other guards are D lo at 2.6 and phil at 2.3 per 40.  What this tells me is that there should never be a time in the game, barring any foul trouble, where neither of our two point guards are on the court.  Those are pretty impressive numbers.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

ras

Re: Rysheed and Jamal
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 03:17:47 PM »
Looking at the stats in the bigeast thus far, I noticed that Rysheed is 4th in the conference in assists per 40 minutes at 6.9 and Jamal is 8th in the conference at 6.2. Our other guards are D lo at 2.6 and phil at 2.3 per 40.  What this tells me is that there should never be a time in the game, barring any foul trouble, where neither of our two point guards are on the court.  Those are pretty impressive numbers.
Most posters ,including myself agree w you. Now if Lavin could just see it that way.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 03:20:51 PM by ras »

Tha Kid

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 03:30:11 PM »

Astute observation.  From your fingertips to TGAPL's eyes!
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 03:55:19 PM »
I am not sure why Lavin didn't use the early portion of our schedule to give Jordan the ball and live with the growing pains. Only thing I can think of was Lavin wanted to make sure we won those games figuring to make NCAA we can't afford to lose winnable games.

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 06:14:50 PM »
I wonder.... where Sanchez ranks on the assist list?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Moose

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 07:05:24 PM »

Going into the PSU game he was leading the team in assists.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 07:16:19 PM »
+1

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 07:54:57 PM »

3.9 per 40
4.3 for dom

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 08:39:51 PM »

3.9 per 40
4.3 for dom
Assists by committee for sure.  Rysheed will increase assists per game by end of season.  If he can reach 5 apg or more with extra PT, that will be solid.  As we finish better on offense, PGIV, JB and Rysheed will see the uptick in apg.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 08:41:21 PM by bball purist »

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2013, 11:15:15 PM »
What this tells me is that there should never be a time in the game, barring any foul trouble, where neither of our two point guards are on the court.

There will be plenty of occasions when neither of these two are on the court.  Playing pure point guard inclusive lineups exclusively is a necessity on teams that lacks other players that can bring the ball up the court.  Passing prowess alone won't dictate said strategy.

DR, 3'lo, Sir Dom and the Triangle all have more than adequate handles and Lavin likes to mix and match like he's playing colorforms.  When he feels like he needs instant scoring,  he'll go in other directions.

MCNPA

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2013, 11:27:02 PM »
What this tells me is that there should never be a time in the game, barring any foul trouble, where neither of our two point guards are on the court.

There will be plenty of occasions when neither of these two are on the court.  Playing pure point guard inclusive lineups exclusively is a necessity on teams that lacks other players that can bring the ball up the court.  Passing prowess alone won't dictate said strategy.

DR, 3'lo, Sir Dom and the Triangle all have more than adequate handles and Lavin likes to mix and match like he's playing colorforms.  When he feels like he needs instant scoring,  he'll go in other directions.

You're right, as evidenced by Sir'Dom's 11 assists the last game.  I just want to see Branch and/or Jordan keep improving until the point that they are irreplaceable in the lineup.  Right now, neither one is.  Both are improving drasticlally though...
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 09:16:04 AM by MCNPA »

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2013, 02:56:50 AM »

You're right, as evidenced by Sir'Dom's 11 assists the last game.  I just want to see Branch and/or Jordan keep improving until the point that they are replaceable in the lineup.  Right now, neither one is.  Both are improving drasticlally though...

I tend to agree in long term but lets not discount what Phil has done this year.  Assist #'s are great but we dont beat Bucknell without him and dont have a chance at beating Penn State either, in fact we would have been blown out.  Jamal or Rysheed weren't on the court for either of those. 

Dont throw Phil to the curb that is all.  If you are playing Jamal or Jordan at all times it really limits options b/c Harrison, Dom, and Phil need minutes too right now.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 03:04:55 AM by B-Squared »

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2013, 06:44:17 AM »

Dont disagree with your point that having other guys who are capable to bring the ball up the court certainly helps with lineup configurations. It is my personal preference to have a pure point on the court, think doing so allows said instant scoring to be more instant. We start 3 guards and dom gets some minutes at the 4, that leaves around 80 minutes a game for dlo, dom, and the octagon which is more than enough and more than I am asking for the two pgs.

desco80

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2013, 08:35:30 AM »
Branch needs to play, a lot.   His numbers aren't gaudy, but when he's on the floor the ball moves and we score.     And he has become incredibly efficient: he's cut down on the turnovers, and has the bests hot selection on the team - a pg has the best fg% on our team...that's unheard of, but it just shows you he doesn't waste possessions with ill-advised shots.   

He moves the ball, he penetrates ... As much as I want Rhysheed to take over the show as the season progresses, there's no reason Jamal isn't playing more right now.   His play over the last 3 games shows that he deserves it.

TONYD3

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2013, 08:47:09 AM »
Branch needs to play, a lot.   His numbers aren't gaudy, but when he's on the floor the ball moves and we score.     And he has become incredibly efficient: he's cut down on the turnovers, and has the bests hot selection on the team - a pg has the best fg% on our team...that's unheard of, but it just shows you he doesn't waste possessions with ill-advised shots.   

He moves the ball, he penetrates ... As much as I want Rhysheed to take over the show as the season progresses, there's no reason Jamal isn't playing more right now.   His play over the last 3 games shows that he deserves it.
agree

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2013, 09:12:55 AM »

could not agree more.  both branch and jordan should get 25 mpg, and even though phil hasn't played badly, he needs to be relegated to d'angelos back up (or the 3rd guard in a 3 guard set) for the sake of offensive flow.

paultzman

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2013, 10:28:54 AM »

Absolutely agree. Meanwhile this stat is interesting at the least. Not a big fan of Phil, but play has improved. Hopefully he stays on the wing.

@JonRothstein: St. John's PG Phil Greene has played 209 minutes this season and only committed 3 turnovers. Calming influence. #sjubb

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2013, 10:47:37 AM »

Absolutely agree. Meanwhile this stat is interesting at the least. Not a big fan of Phil, but play has improved. Hopefully he stays on the wing.

@JonRothstein: St. John's PG Phil Greene has played 209 minutes this season and only committed 3 turnovers. Calming influence. #sjubb

Phil is playing much better, but this praising him for not turning the ball over is silly. He does not turn the ball over becuase he is not creative with the ball and usually is not looking to advance the ball. In a perfect world Phil would be a good third guard. If you want to start three guards(I am not a fan) then he is fine. He just should not run the point.

paultzman

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2013, 11:02:58 AM »

Phil is playing much better, but this praising him for not turning the ball over is silly. He does not turn the ball over becuase he is not creative with the ball and usually is not looking to advance the ball. In a perfect world Phil would be a good third guard. If you want to start three guards(I am not a fan) then he is fine. He just should not run the point.

That is quite obvious. He has no business playing PG.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 11:04:00 AM by paultzman »

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2013, 11:19:51 AM »

That is quite obvious. He has no business playing PG.

But he still does. So I am guessing not obvious to the only person that matters. Ridiculous shooting aside, no coicidence the offense looked much better when Branch and Jordan try to push.