Rysheed and Jamal

• 36 replies

DFF6

Re: Rysheed and Jamal
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2013, 11:39:50 AM »
Branch needs to play, a lot.   His numbers aren't gaudy, but when he's on the floor the ball moves and we score.     And he has become incredibly efficient: he's cut down on the turnovers, and has the bests hot selection on the team - a pg has the best fg% on our team...that's unheard of, but it just shows you he doesn't waste possessions with ill-advised shots.   

He moves the ball, he penetrates ... As much as I want Rhysheed to take over the show as the season progresses, there's no reason Jamal isn't playing more right now.   His play over the last 3 games shows that he deserves it.

Absolutely agree. Meanwhile this stat is interesting at the least. Not a big fan of Phil, but play has improved. Hopefully he stays on the wing.

@JonRothstein: St. John's PG Phil Greene has played 209 minutes this season and only committed 3 turnovers. Calming influence. #sjubb

Phil is playing much better, but this praising him for not turning the ball over is silly. He does not turn the ball over becuase he is not creative with the ball and usually is not looking to advance the ball. In a perfect world Phil would be a good third guard. If you want to start three guards(I am not a fan) then he is fine. He just should not run the point.

That is quite obvious. He has no business playing PG.

If Phil is the third best PG we have, and the second best SG, it makes sense to me that his pt should be adjusted accordingly (e.g., sporadic minutes at PG, and 10-15 minutes at SG, with a few more minutes attributable to when we use a 3 guard set).  Lavin started the season with less pt for Phil (18 minutes against Wisconsin and 20 minutes against Wagner), then when Jordan got into the dog house, Phil's pt went up (34, 36, 27, 33).  Last two games, Phil's pt has been 21 and 20 mpg.  Conversely, since the Wisconsin game (24 minutes), Jordan hadn't played more than 17 minutes in any game until Fordham (21 minutes).  I hope Lavin gives Jordan/Branch all of the minutes at PG, but it's up to Jordan to earn the minutes.  Unlike Phil, who is allowed to stay in the game for 30 minutes notwithstanding shooting 1-8 and not moving the ball effectively on offense, Jordan's leash for poor play is apparently a lot shorter.

boo3

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2013, 12:08:25 PM »
 I'm all for Rysheed getting as many minutes as possible.  Personally, I think Lavin has done a great job of distributing the backcourt minutes thus far..

Green has played great. Not sure why he should be playing less?   Not easy keeping these 3 happy with minutes.   So far so good.  Eventually, I hope, one of the three truly distinguishes themselves.  I think it will eventually be Jordan..  With Green and Branch getting less time.  But for now, at this moment and up to this moment,  Lavin has played the hand very well.

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2013, 04:40:35 PM »
and the octagon

Now we're really communicating Mase.  We're speaking the same language.

Without Mean Joe's awesome contribution we lose the Bucknell and Monmouth games and the season is over.  What wins have the performances of Air Jordan and the Aggie been absolutely been a key component of?  Yet you haters continue to hate on him?

Phil is our second best guard.  Period.  Exclamation point.  And needs to be on the court for huge minutes.  So glad Hollywood is the coach and not you mensa candidates.
I would wager that the rugged Chicago native is more than holding his own with the other 3 guards every single day in practice.  Another reason (his stellar play being the obvious other) why Lavin can't get him off the court.   

Your boys are going to have to pry their minutes from my boy's cold dead hands and he's not giving them up without a fight.

My favorite lineups have the square on the floor for 40 minutes.  In a non-overtime game of course.  But that's just me.

MCNPA

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2013, 04:47:51 PM »
and the octagon

Without Mean Joe's awesome contribution we lose the Bucknell and Monmouth games and the season is over.  What wins have the performances of Air Jordan and the Aggie been absolutely been a key component of?  Yet you haters continue to hate on him?

Phil is our second best guard.  Period.  Exclamation point.  And needs to be on the court for huge minutes.  So glad Hollywood is the coach and not you mensa candidates.
I would wager that the rugged Chicago native is more than holding his own with the other 3 guards every single day in practice.  Another reason (his stellar play being the obvious other) why Lavin can't get him off the court.   

Your boys are going to have to pry their minutes from my boy's cold dead hands and he's not giving them up without a fight.

My favorite lineups have the square on the floor for 40 minutes.  In a non-overtime game of course.  But that's just me.

The issue is that Phil doesn't always get the most out of his game with extended minutes.  I like the way Lavin has been balancing the backcourt minutes this season.  Phil has played great, but that could also be a function of us having a more balanced backcourt distribution of minutes, and Lavin allowing Phil to ride the hot hand when he's scoring.  I love the depth of our backcourt and the balance we have.  Great to see Phil back in more of a SG role and making the most of his minutes by being a scorer.

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2013, 05:03:46 PM »
and the octagon

if I ever get arrested I want Carmine as my lawyer defending me

My guy is the white Johnnie Cochran :)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 05:05:03 PM by mjmaherjr »

Poison

« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2013, 06:09:09 PM »
and the octagon

It's true. Greene has played very well. But Syracuse will be a huge test. Guards need to pass the ball against the zone. They need to get into the lane. I'm just not sure how Greene's skillset fits into our plan on Sunday.  I'd love Greene, Dom and Primo as the 6th, 7th and 8th men, personally.

Start Jordan, Harrison, Hooper/Bourgault, Sampson and Obekpa against the Syracuse 2-3.

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2013, 06:14:24 PM »
I wonder.... where Sanchez ranks on the assist list?

Going into the PSU game he was leading the team in assists.

RIght now per 40 mins Primo is 3.9, SirDom is 4.4

MCNPA

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2013, 06:50:15 PM »
and the octagon

It's true. Greene has played very well. But Syracuse will be a huge test. Guards need to pass the ball against the zone. They need to get into the lane. I'm just not sure how Greene's skillset fits into our plan on Sunday.  I'd love Greene, Dom and Primo as the 6th, 7th and 8th men, personally.

Start Jordan, Harrison, Hooper/Bourgault, Sampson and Obekpa against the Syracuse 2-3.

Phil had 10 points vs Cuse and played pretty well last year if I remember.  We are going to need dribble penetration from the backcourt, and Phil is one of the best at getting in the lane on our roster.  I think Phil G will be an important player for us on Sunday.

« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2013, 10:03:39 PM »
and the octagon

Thanks MJ.  And if I ever go on a Johnny road trip,  I want you drinking with me.

Objection...Jurisprudence...Judas Priest...Tort...Sidebar.

« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2013, 10:11:11 PM »
and the octagon

Thanks MJ.  And if I ever go on a Johnny road trip,  I want you drinking with me.

we definitely need another road trip. Some of us might be driving down to Nova for the game so if we go and you want to come and ride down with us let me know

desco80

« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2013, 10:21:33 PM »
I respect your man Carmine, he was a good soldier and played out of position for two years, did so while hurt, and didn't complain.  And he's  been playing much better this year, but..
Jamal, Jamal, Jamal.   I cannot say it enough.   The team has a flow with Jamal that so far no one else can duplicate.   

« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2013, 10:23:27 PM »
and the octagon

A hypothetical for you and please humor me with a serious answer:

Lets say Phil gets exactly 20 minutes a game exclusively at either the point or off the ball. Not a little bit of both. Where do you want him?

He has played very good no doubt. Im not asking for less minutes for him, just more for the point guards.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2013, 10:33:05 PM »
and the octagon

we definitely need another road trip. Some of us might be driving down to Nova for the game so if we go and you want to come and ride down with us let me know

Sounds good.  I really want to go to Hawaii.

« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2013, 12:43:35 AM »
Lets say Phil gets exactly 20 minutes a game exclusively at either the point or off the ball. Not a little bit of both. Where do you want him?

Usually prefer swimming upstream to floating with the current, however; I too recognize the ellipse as more of a natural 2 than a 1. 

Furthermore, I acknowledge that Air Jordan's the highest ranked recruit of the Hollywood era and that he oozes ability.  I fully understand that his development deserves to be a secondary priority/sidebar of this season.

Having 4 decent ( great ? ) guards is a fine position for us and beats the heck out of where we were the year following Norm's recruits.

« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2013, 10:46:51 AM »

Usually prefer swimming upstream to floating with the current, however; I too recognize the ellipse as more of a natural 2 than a 1. 

Furthermore, I acknowledge that Air Jordan's the highest ranked recruit of the Hollywood era and that he oozes ability.  I fully understand that his development deserves to be a secondary priority/sidebar of this season.

Having 4 decent ( great ? ) guards is a fine position for us and beats the heck out of where we were the year following Norm's recruits.

Thanks, I agree. And in Jordan and Branch we have a nice little motor boat, with the potential to make it a cruise ship.

« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2013, 10:36:10 PM »
I would focus more on the assist to turnover ratio then the assist per 40 mins.

« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2013, 06:42:04 AM »
I would focus more on the assist to turnover ratio then the assist per 40 mins.

If you did that Phil would be the best PG in the bigeast