Malik Stith - East Mecklenburg - Charlotte, NC - ST. JOHN'S (SIGNED LOI)

• 164 replies
Re: Malik Stith - East Mecklenburg - Charlotte, NC - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2008, 10:41:49 AM »
"I only got to see him play twice, but he put it on in the two biggest games of the year. (Western Regional final, State Championship game)

I was surprised when I found out he hadn't made a college choice by the time I saw him play. I thought he could have played for a number of ACC schools, but maybe his size was holding him back. Not that he was short, but I don't think he has that prototypical size for major D-1 programs.

But his speed, strength and court awareness more than make up for any size deficiency. He has an uncanny ability to get into the lane and create. If no one steps up to help, Mallik can score the ball as well. I'd say he was an average shooter, so that would be an area of improvement at the next level.

My honest opinion was that he could have been a starter at NC State last season (mostly because they were in desparate need of a point guard), but I think he'll be a solid player at the next level."

I received this from a Maxpreps writer via email....
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2008, 01:01:26 PM »
Well that's encouraging.  Perhaps he's another diamond in the rough.

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2008, 01:17:17 PM »
Welcome abort Malik.

Unlike posters on the other board, I think he is a welcome addition.

He is a 3 star 08 per scout
http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&c=11&cfg=null&sFirstName=&sLastName=stith&yr=2008

Yes we need a center, but we will have 3 more schollys for 09.

With 13 making a full roster, if I were a coach, I would want 3 PG's & 3 Ctrs
Molloy '71

« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 05:55:38 PM by stevep502 »
Molloy '71

Randomhero423

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2008, 08:37:38 PM »
How did Stith drop from a 3 star 08 scout recruit (uncomitted)
to a 1 star 09 per scout ( w verbal to St J)?
(but he grew an inch & 5 lbs)

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&c=11&cfg=null&yr=2009&pid=-1&iSchoolStateProvinceId=-1&iRatingValue=-1&iGetJUCOFlag=-1&iCommitFlag=-1&iGroupbyPosition=0&toinid=383&iInterestLevelId=2&iOffer=-1&iRecruitVisitFlag=-1&OrderbyColumn=RatingValue

it was probably just a lazy job.  they'll update it eventually i'm assuming.

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2008, 10:30:29 AM »
Can Stith sign now ?
If a kid graduates, is eligible, but goes prep by choice,
can he sign now ?

If he can, but both he & school agree a prep year is better,
is the signing binding for both the following fall ?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 10:32:09 AM by stevep502 »
Molloy '71

mkras99

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2008, 10:35:57 AM »
Can Stith sign now ?
If a kid graduates, is eligible, but goes prep by choice,
can he sign now ?

If he can, but both he & school agree a prep year is better,
is the signing binding for both the following fall ?

No - he can't sign until the Fall.

« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2008, 10:52:34 PM »
malik...not much. couple of possessions....looks lightning quick...#3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLXAyV7dbZY

« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 10:53:35 PM by NYCbuckeye »

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2008, 03:12:41 PM »

Posted on Wed, May. 28, 2008

http://www.charlotte.com/316/story/642975.html

"He has some (things) people on the outside don't see," Grube said. "If you go to an AAU tournament over three days and have a bad three games, you're done. I've sent out game tapes (to colleges), but you don't get a feel for players from tape either.

"That's why we've had a lot of coaches coming to campus to get a feel for a kid -- a better one than at an AAU tournament or off a tape. I think recruiting will go towards that."

Coaches came and saw Stith's potential. It didn't hurt that he had a magical run through the N.C. playoffs, when he led East Mecklenburg to its first boys' state championship, scoring 46 points in his final two games. Stith was a first-team Associated Press all-state pick and was named Observer Player of the Year.

He said he committed to St. John's this week, choosing the Red Storm over Auburn, Baylor, Marquette, Nebraska, Oregon State and South Florida. St. John's will get a guy who plays with heart and who plays hard. If Stith, who will attend Bridgeton (Maine) Academy in the fall, finds a consistent jump shot, he'll be an impact player in the 2009-10 season.

"One of the big reasons I (chose St. John's) was going back home where my family and friends can see me play," said Stith, who is from the New York area. "And it was about the history of the school and the comfort level I have with the coaches. And I can play in the Big East and not go to the biggest school, and go somewhere where I can be a program-changer and help the program get better."

"If u LOVE us that's GREAT... if u HATE us that's GREAT too... if ur in the middle... get the F*CK out!!" - Paul Stanley, KISS

« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2008, 07:05:42 AM »
From the Nike Peach event....

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=3485961

"Midstate advanced to the championship with a 68-52 victory over the United Celtics (Charlotte, N.C.) in the semi-finals. St. John's commit, 5-11 PG Malik Stith (North Bridgton, Maine/Bridgton Academy) played well for the Celtics."

« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2008, 10:47:52 PM »
From the Nike Peach event....

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=3485961

"Midstate advanced to the championship with a 68-52 victory over the United Celtics (Charlotte, N.C.) in the semi-finals. St. John's commit, 5-11 PG Malik Stith (North Bridgton, Maine/Bridgton Academy) played well for the Celtics."

Has Stith's ranking improved, based on his play, on any of the recruiting analysts' rankings?

« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2008, 01:21:38 PM »
Haven't been tracking him but Scout has him as the 33rd ranked PG in the class.

« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2008, 01:37:12 PM »
Run the list of PG's and you'll see that he is shown between the 32nd and 33rd ranked PG's so I read between the lines as it were.  Also the 32nd ranked PG is 3 star and the 33rd ranked is two star.  Malik is 3 star.

« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2008, 11:40:49 PM »
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/preps/story/76359.html

East Meck's glory goes on
Basketball team is only one in N.C. with two players – Malik Stith and Titus Robinson – picked for state All-Star game.
By Dan Tierney
dtierney@charlotteobserver.com
Posted: Tuesday, Jul. 15, 2008

The last time Malik Stith and Titus Robinson took to the basketball court for an official game, they helped East Mecklenburg High win its first state championship in decades.

Next week, the duo could get one last chance to show that they are indeed two of the best in the state.

Stith and Robinson will represent the western side of the state in the N.C. East-West All-Star basketball game. East Meck is the only school with two players in the game, which invites the top players from the 2008 class. The men's game follows the women's 6:30 p.m. game July 21 at the Greensboro Coliseum.

“As a coach, it's extremely prideful to have two players on the roster,” said East Meck coach Jason Grube. “I'm excited for the kids because they deserved it.”

Stith, a 5-foot-11 guard, and Robinson, a 6-7 forward, both earned all-state spots after the season. Robinson was also named the most valuable player of the championship game, a 72-63 win over Apex.

Already training and taking classes at the University at Buffalo, Robinson's petitioning the Buffalo coaching staff and faculty to let him return to play in the All-Star game.

“It will be the last game I play in N.C., maybe,” he said.

With coaches already stressing work in the weight room, Robinson has also caught glimpses in team scrimmages of what Division-I basketball will look like when the season starts.

“The game speed is a lot faster than what it was in high school,” he said. “You get someone back in Charlotte where 6-6 is the biggest, and they can't move very fast.”

For Stith, the Southwestern 4A Player of the Year, the fall will be spent gaining range on his jump shot and improving his grades at Maine's Bridgton Academy before heading to St. John's University.

After averaging 16 points, eight assists and six rebounds per game, Stith had offers from colleges, Grube said. His academics, though, limited his options.

“Physically, there were schools that were interested in him right now, but he wasn't as focused as he needed to be when he was younger,” Grube said.

As for the All-Star game, where players often look to get stats and put on a show, the two have kept East Meck's team-first attitude.

“(Stith and Robinson) told me after a few practices, ‘These guys don't get it, and they don't pass enough,'” Grube said. “These two want to win.

“They're not just out there to have fun.”
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2008, 11:42:24 PM »
scary is this kid going to even qualify?

« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2008, 11:48:46 PM »
scary is this kid going to even qualify?

We could use his Scholly elsewhere

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2008, 11:59:43 PM »
Bird in the hand, fellas.  This team needs a number of ballhandlers. 

And that's why kids go to prep schools, to work out their academics. Happens all the time, I'm not worried.  Bridgeton made sure Justin and Paris qualified... it would look bad for their program if they weren't good at that.

« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2008, 12:18:54 AM »
Bird in the hand, fellas.  This team needs a number of ballhandlers. 

And that's why kids go to prep schools, to work out their academics. Happens all the time, I'm not worried.  Bridgeton made sure Justin and Paris qualified... it would look bad for their program if they weren't good at that.

voice of reason....I was trying to get some folks talking.

« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2008, 01:44:24 AM »
Run the list of PG's and you'll see that he is shown between the 32nd and 33rd ranked PG's so I read between the lines as it were.  Also the 32nd ranked PG is 3 star and the 33rd ranked is two star.  Malik is 3 star.

Thanks.
Do you know where Hoopscoop ranks him, either as a fifth year or overall?

Titus Robinson, his all-state teammate mentioned in that article, is going to play for SUNY-Buffalo.