Malik Stith - East Mecklenburg - Charlotte, NC - ST. JOHN'S (SIGNED LOI)

• 164 replies

Poison

Re: Malik Stith - East Mecklenburg - Charlotte, NC - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #80 on: November 14, 2008, 09:28:55 AM »
we have too many guards. need a wing forward. i'm told there is a good one in brooklyn.

« Reply #81 on: November 14, 2008, 10:48:58 AM »
He woulda got PT since he the only other PG 'sides Malik.

But I dont know the borther at all so I dont know what impact this had.

Alot of guards on this team, and by the time he would have gotten here another player would have a year of backing up Boothe under his belt

Points is born, brother, they aint made.

Lee Green, Derek Brown, Tarik Turner, Mo Brown, Geno.

All was two guards. All wuz force to play the point at time. And the result wuz?
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

pmg911

« Reply #82 on: November 14, 2008, 10:58:37 AM »

Alot of guards on this team, and by the time he would have gotten here another player would have a year of backing up Boothe under his belt

All was two guards. All wuz force to play the point at time. And the result wuz?

How can you say Tarik & Mo Brown were forced to play point guard...      Mo played point guard all thru high school but was just a scoring point guard and not a pass first guy...   Tarik never played any other position, he just wasn't a good college point guard...      he certainly was not a 2 guard...

Poison

« Reply #83 on: November 14, 2008, 11:28:50 AM »

Mahoney ruined Derek Brown. He had a great first two years. Showed so much promise.
Lee Green wasn't a bad player at all. He wasn't a starter, but he wasn't bad off the bench. And a hell of a nice kid, too.

Tarik Turner wasn't a D1 player at any position. He was just overmatched.

Mo Brown wasn't very quick, and if you're under 6 feet, and you're slow, it's gonna be ugly, and it was.

Geno was about as good as Mo Brown.

« Reply #84 on: November 14, 2008, 11:46:33 AM »
if this guy decommitted and didnt sign, why does ST.JOHNS still show next to his name? Get him off!!

pmg911

« Reply #85 on: November 14, 2008, 11:59:05 AM »

Mo Brown was a MUCH better basketball player than Eugene Lawrence...

Randomhero423

« Reply #86 on: November 14, 2008, 12:03:59 PM »
and who broke this news?  :)

norm needs to get a pg...

« Reply #87 on: November 14, 2008, 12:10:59 PM »

In high school.
Not even close in college, yo.

« Reply #88 on: November 14, 2008, 12:16:35 PM »

How can you say Tarik & Mo Brown were forced to play point guard...      Mo played point guard all thru high school but was just a scoring point guard and not a pass first guy...   Tarik never played any other position, he just wasn't a good college point guard...      he certainly was not a 2 guard...

Tarik wudn't no point wit Stu. Switch over at Oak Hill fo one year as a senior cause Curtis Staples wuz playin the 2.

Mo handle the ball at Grady but so did Chester Charles when they needed calmin down.

They wuz at best, combo guards. Shoulda neva been recruited as points with a BE 'gram.

Point is: would rather have a true frosh point backin Malik a year from now, than a soph 2G wit one year of turnin the ball over and losin confidence under his belt.

Those who choose to ingno histry is doom to repeate it. Same wit b-ball 'grams.

Poison

« Reply #89 on: November 14, 2008, 12:27:39 PM »

How can you say Tarik & Mo Brown were forced to play point guard...      Mo played point guard all thru high school but was just a scoring point guard and not a pass first guy...   Tarik never played any other position, he just wasn't a good college point guard...      he certainly was not a 2 guard...

Tarik wudn't no point wit Stu. Switch over at Oak Hill fo one year as a senior cause Curtis Staples wuz playin the 2.

Mo handle the ball at Grady but so did Chester Charles when they needed calmin down.

They wuz at best, combo guards. Shoulda neva been recruited as points with a BE 'gram.

Point is: would rather have a true frosh point backin Malik a year from now, than a soph 2G wit one year of turnin the ball over and losin confidence under his belt.

Those who choose to ingno histry is doom to repeate it. Same wit b-ball 'grams.

There are some combo guards that really can run an offense.
We've only had one that I can think in the last 10 years.

Hatten.

The thing is, Turner and Brown were just bad players. If you're a really good player, running the point, as a scoring guard, while not ideal, shouldn't be such a hardship. For us, it usually is a recipe for disaster.

we are Marshall

« Reply #90 on: November 14, 2008, 12:45:17 PM »

In high school.

Geno would not have been recruited by SJU during the years Mo Brown played

Poison

« Reply #91 on: November 14, 2008, 12:53:35 PM »

In high school.

But Ed Brown, Mike Menefield and Tom Bayne managed to get on ship.

we are Marshall

« Reply #92 on: November 14, 2008, 12:56:33 PM »
They did not play however, let alone have the entire offense run through them. Those guys are a decent comparison to the former "point guard" however. If Geno was the 9th man, no one would have ever complaind about him. While it is true that it is not his fault the entire team was built around him, he was still BRUTAL to watch!

« Reply #93 on: November 14, 2008, 01:21:38 PM »

In high school.

But Ed Brown, Mike Menefield and Tom Bayne managed to get on ship.

You know what they say, you can't teach girth.

« Reply #94 on: November 14, 2008, 02:00:54 PM »

I have to agree with Choz on this. A true point, even with no BE experience, is more valuable than a 2convert.

Re: Malik Stith - East Mecklenburg - Charlotte, NC
« Reply #95 on: November 14, 2008, 02:57:35 PM »
most people seem to think if you have a good handle, you're a natural point.  you need a head for the game.  it's why we won with smart players such as carmine calzonetti (most underrated sju player) jackson, boo harvey, buchanan, cain (one year) and bernard rencher.

stith needs to be replaced.

Poison

« Reply #96 on: November 14, 2008, 03:42:00 PM »

I have to agree with Choz on this. A true point, even with no BE experience, is more valuable than a 2convert.

True in most cases, but not in all cases. If Hardy can be a Marcus Hatten type, I'd take that over Boothe.
I'd take that over any guard in the Big East.

*edited used quotes button wrong. PS you are the worst at using the quotes button. Post below everything!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 03:47:34 PM by JJ »

« Reply #97 on: November 15, 2008, 09:58:52 AM »

How can you say Tarik & Mo Brown were forced to play point guard...      Mo played point guard all thru high school but was just a scoring point guard and not a pass first guy...   Tarik never played any other position, he just wasn't a good college point guard...      he certainly was not a 2 guard...

Lee Green top 50 high school player, a scoring 2guard asked to play the point at SJU, what a disaster.
Tarik, a lovely man, Brian Mahoney's biggest mistake in agreeing to let him play the point when he was a 2guard. If Brian had had a true point to play with Zendon, Felipe, Roshown, Rowan, Charles no telling what would have been.
Mo was an undersized 2guard playing out of position in the BE. Not too many John Bagleys , ElAmin's in the BE.
No point in bringing up Geno, kid gave his all.
Points is born not converted.
Choz is 100% correct on all counts. 

Randomhero423

« Reply #99 on: November 18, 2008, 03:02:14 PM »
wow 87 is high.