Devon Collier - C - All Hallows HS - Bronx, NY - OREGON STATE

• 81 replies

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
Re: Devon Collier - C - All Hallows HS - Bronx, NY
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2009, 10:05:17 AM »
I was there for the game.  Collier played really well and Hurley realllllllly loves his game.
Any other game reports?

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2009, 10:08:13 AM »
Also from Rivals:

http://stjohns.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=902333

Devon Collier (St. Anthony) 19 points on 7-14 shooting, 1-2 from three, 4-8 from the line, 10 rebounds, 2assists, 1 turnover in 25 minutes

A transfer to St. Anthony, Collier had a big outing in his first game with his new team. A 6-foot-7 wiry four-man, Collier ran the floor and finished with both hands, handled the ball against pressure and was the games top rebounder.

Collier, who runs with the New Heights program on the travel circuit, already has the attention of college coaches. The 2010 four-star prospect already has offers from St. John's, Villanova and Fordham, and is also considering Providence, Seton Hall, Syracuse and Virginia.

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2009, 01:55:48 PM »
http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/High-School-AAU/#HoopHall-Classic-Scouting-Reports-Part-Three-3090

Jonathan Givony

With Dominic Cheek looking very much content blending it, junior teammate Devon Collier (unranked Scout, #94 Rivals, unranked ESPN) decided to step up to the plate and take over at his very first game at St. Anthony’s. The long, lanky and very smooth power forward had an excellent outing here, coming away with 19 points and 10 rebounds in 25 minutes of action. Collier showed a very nice stroke from mid-range and even beyond the arc, hitting a number of jump-shots (spotting up or off a single dribble) with very nice touch. Collier seemed to thrive in St. Anthony’s unselfish offense, continuously moving off the ball to the right spot for easy finishes. He’s a solid athlete who could probably stand to get a little tougher inside, struggling to finish at times inside due to his lack of bulk. He’s not very strong, but has a nice frame to grow into, as he’s obviously still very young and may not even be done growing just yet. He’s still a very raw player, but clearly looks like a high major player with nice potential moving down the road.

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2009, 03:06:56 PM »
I'm upset I was unable to attend St. Anthony's game against my highschool last week because I wanted to check him out. CBA beat St. Anthony's.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2009, 03:50:53 PM »
it was on TV, though!  i caught part of that game.

pmg911

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2009, 09:12:54 AM »
I saw St.Anthony last night vs. Pascack Hills...

It was just one game but Collier played terrible. . as did Derick Williams...

Pankey & Cheek looked great...

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2009, 02:11:04 PM »
http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/06/02/louisville-offers-hinds-williams-to-visit-virginia/#more-17295

**Devon Collier (pictured), Williams’ 6-7, 205-pound St. Anthony teammate, has several schools working him hard, according to St. Anthony assistant Ben Gamble.
“West Virginia, Michigan, Seton Hall and St. John’s, those are the schools that are really interested right now,” Gamble said. “West Virginia has been watching him as long as anyone. And Seton Hall, too. He’ll eventually get offers from all of them.”

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2009, 04:27:05 PM »
That link also talks about a few other 2011 prospects.. and I don't hear "St. John's" next to their name.  Just "Lousiville, Lousiville...."

« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2009, 12:13:05 PM »
That link also talks about a few other 2011 prospects.. and I don't hear "St. John's" next to their name.  Just "Lousiville, Lousiville...."
I was trying to keep it positive.

One program has a top ten coach that aggressively recruits nationally, while the other has, after five full seasons, an unproven high-major coach that takes the scraps that second-tier Big East programs have taken a pass on and hasn't successfully recruited a player native to anywhere west of Pennsylvania. By and large, he's limited himself to the area where St. John's current reputation is the worst and the lure of NYC is the least.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2009, 12:34:32 PM »
I will say, in slight defense, perhaps the players think less of St. John's because of Norm's lack of job security, I suppose; that said, it would be nice if the schools name rang out from the mouths of prospects a little more often... security or no, that's disheartening.

pmg911

« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2009, 03:59:59 PM »
I was trying to keep it positive.

One program has a top ten coach that aggressively recruits nationally, while the other has, after five full seasons, an unproven high-major coach that takes the scraps that second-tier Big East programs have taken a pass on and hasn't successfully recruited a player native to anywhere west of Pennsylvania. By and large, he's limited himself to the area where St. John's current reputation is the worst and the lure of NYC is the least.

great post

gonzalo

« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2009, 10:08:51 AM »

It is evident that this report is about the players that Louisville (and not St. John´s) is recruiting. I don´t have any problem with the article.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2009, 10:27:42 AM »

It is evident that this report is about the players that Louisville (and not St. John´s) is recruiting. I don´t have any problem with the article.
It's not a problem with the article.  It's an issue with how players should be saying "Louisville, Pitt, St. John's" as their possibles.  It says something about how we're still not in players' thoughts as an early possibility.  Maybe St. John's will be there late, but... better to be in there early.

gonzalo

« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2009, 03:09:08 AM »
http://w3.nbebasketball.com/2009/06/14/rumble-in-the-bronx-day-two-part-ii/

The final member of the New Heights/St. Anthony’s frontline trio, Devon Collier told NBE he has offers from West Virginia, St. John’s, UConn and Pitt, Syracuse and Seton Hall out of the Big East.

gonzalo

« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2009, 01:56:23 AM »
http://www.fiveborosports.com/ssp/news?news_id=3467

No accident that Collier has become blue-chipper

Bronx native Devon Collier, a 6-foot-8 forward, had a terrific season at St. Anthony's over the winter. Photo by Damion Reid

By Marc Raimondi

July 9, 2009

PHILADELPHIA – It’s like a natural rite of spring and summer with Devon Collier that happens every year.

Every time the weather gets humid, he experiences pain in both legs.

“Especially when it rains,” Collier said.

The Bronx native and St. Anthony’s (N.J.) basketball star was hit by a car when he was 15 years old and he broke bones in both legs. He wore a cast on his left one for a month and a half.

After an excellent season with the Jersey City school this past season, Collier, an All Hallows transfer, ran into some struggles in the spring due to the leg pain. The rising senior said his legs have grown much stronger since the accident, but doctors told the 6-foot-8 Collier that he’ll still have the nagging aches, due to tendonitis, until he stops growing.

“At least I’m still growing,” he said.

So is his game.

Collier scored 10 points and looked smooth Thursday afternoon for the Eddie House team in a game against the Yao Ming squad at the Reebok All-American Camp at Philadelphia University. Recruiting guru Tom Konchalski said it was the best he has played since the winter.

“He was [St. Anthony’s] best player from the time he became eligible Jan. 18, not Dominic Cheek, who was a McDonald’s All American,” Konchalski said. “He had a terrific season.”

And he also has a long laundry list of high level schools looking after him. Collier counts Connecticut, Pittsburgh, Villanova, St. John’s, West Virginia and Virginia among his suitors. He doesn’t have a leader right now, though, and isn’t sure when he wants to commit.

“They’re all the same,” he said of the many suitors vying for his services.

Collier’s skills are many. He’s long, extremely athletic and excellent in transition, especially for his size. Collier almost has guard-like capabilities, including an improving long-range jump shot. The biggest thing for him is getting stronger, and not just in his legs. He’s somewhat like a Devin Ebanks type, but isn’t as good of a rebounder, which is something Ebanks excelled with at West Virginia this year.

“He’s a running forward,” Konchalski said. “He’s a guy who’s extremely mobile, especially in transition. He has some perimeter skill; he can shoot a 3 off the catch. He can get to the basket on two bounces. He’s got a good change of direction to his game. He’s gotta be able to make the play off the dribble and little better and he has to get a lot stronger physically for the level that’s recruiting him.”

Collier, who plays for the New Heights AAU program, has certainly come a long way since the accident. He said not being able to play for close to four months was excruciating.

“I was playing ball with the cast on,” Collier said with a laugh.

His legs were weak when the cast came off, he said. He wasn’t able get back to his old form for awhile. As soon as it was removed, he went to the gym at the Bronx YMCA where his dad works to play basketball.

“I got the ball and I tried to go to the basket and I just fell,” Collier said.

There’s no doubt he’s landed on his feet.

mraimondi@fiveborosports.com

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2009, 11:01:38 AM »
http://w3.nbebasketball.com/2009/07/18/reebok-all-american-camp-review-part-ii/

Devon Collier, 6-8, St. Anthony (N.J.), 2010: Played well in his first game, grabbing rebounds at a high rate and crashing the offensive glass for put-backs. He didn’t show off his versatility and handle as much, but he had a good baseline drive and dunk. He also had an up-and-under for a basket and foul.

Collier gave NBE a list of current schools he is considering and would like to visit. Those schools are Virginia, West Virginia, Villanova, Connecticut, Pittsburgh, Xavier and Syracuse.

pmg911

« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2009, 09:35:53 AM »

Devon Collier, 6-8, St. Anthony (N.J.), 2010: Played well in his first game, grabbing rebounds at a high rate and crashing the offensive glass for put-backs. He didn’t show off his versatility and handle as much, but he had a good baseline drive and dunk. He also had an up-and-under for a basket and foul.

Collier gave NBE a list of current schools he is considering and would like to visit. Those schools are Virginia, West Virginia, Villanova, Connecticut, Pittsburgh, Xavier and Syracuse.

I thought we were in the mix for this guy..?

gonzalo

« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2009, 09:51:31 AM »

http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/08/02/arizona-reaches-out-to-devon-collier/

pmg911

« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2009, 11:37:01 AM »

http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/08/02/arizona-reaches-out-to-devon-collier/

Thx..  someone's information is a little off it seems.

gonzalo

« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2009, 09:35:50 AM »
http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/08/23/devon-collier-planning-visits/

St. Anthony forward Devon Collier is one of the most talented and intriguing players in the New York metropolitan area.

Adam Berkowitz, Collier’s adviser with the New Heights AAU program, said Collier’s list at this point includes Providence, St. John’s, Seton Hall, Maryland, Oregon State and Arizona.

“I don’t have [any] favorites,” Collier, ranked No. 134 in the Rivals150 in the Class of 2010, said recently. “I’m still open.”

The 6-foot-8, 205-pound Collier just returned from an unofficial visit to Providence on Friday.

“We had a good visit,” said Berkowitz, who accompanied Collier. “I think he liked it. I don’t think he’s close to committing.

“[Assistant Coach] Pat Skerry’s done a great job recruiting him. He met with [head Coach] Keno Davis in his office. We spent 4-5 hours there [on campus].

“They really want him. It’s a good fit. He can get playing time at that position [small forward]. They have a couple really good point guards coming in [Johnnie Lacy and Vincent Council]. I think they need a versatile forward who can do some different things. I think Devon would fit that need.”

Berkowitz said Collier would also visit Seton Hall and St. John’s in the next “few weeks.”

“We’ll probably try to get out there to Seton Hall and St. John’s  just in the next couple weeks. Those are easy to do,” he said.

Berkowitz said Oregon State and Maryland have both expressed interest in attending open gyms at St. Anthony and in having home visits.

“Both are intriguing for different reasons,” Berkowitz said.

“He would be great in the ACC, it’s a little more up and down and open. They [Maryland] have a good class coming in as it is. Mychal Parker just committed. They’re still looking for another forward.”

Arizona also reached out to Collier recently through assistant coach Book Richardson.

“I’ve spoken to Book a few times. We’re trying to gauge their interest,” Berkowitz said.

As for when Collier might decide, Berkowitz said:

“Ideally we will commit in the fall if he is really comfortable with a place,” he said. “If he’s not sure where he wants to go then he’ll wait.

“Coach [Bob] Hurley would like him to decide and play his season with a clear head, and ideally I would agree.”