Phil Wait - C - Proctor Academy - Andover, NH - ST. JOHN'S

• 104 replies

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
Phil Wait - C - Proctor Academy - Andover, NH - ST. JOHN'S
« on: June 03, 2008, 08:58:18 AM »
FYI - Wait was on an "official" visit to SJU this weekend. Might still be on campus from what i have heard. Here is an article i found on him from '07 :

http://www.newenglandrecruitingreport.com/news/article/108/Several-Europeans-Heading-Home.php

For example, the highest rated unsigned player in the class of 2007 is Phil Wait, the 7’1 center from Proctor Academy.  With his size and soft touch around the rim, the big man was generating significant interest from programs in the Big East in addition to receiving some scholarship offers from Atlantic 10 schools.  But instead of pursuing any of those opportunities, he has decided to return to his native England where he is said to be considering going directly to their professional leagues.

http://www.newenglandrecruitingreport.com/recruits/player/297/Phil-Wait.php

http://www.newenglandrecruitingreport.com/news/article/71/Proctor-Academy-Profile.php
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 06:29:21 PM by JJ »

"If u LOVE us that's GREAT... if u HATE us that's GREAT too... if ur in the middle... get the F*CK out!!" - Paul Stanley, KISS

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
Re: Phil Wait - C - 7'1 - Proctor Academy
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 09:10:22 AM »
Here is a more recent article about him  :

Monday, May 05, 2008

http://www.bruinbasketballreport.com/2008/05/bruin-recruitin.html

As part of UCLA's last-ditch search to find a center for next year's recruiting class, assistant coach Donny Daniels recently flew to Spain to see 7-footer Philip Wait, a native of Manchester England now playing at the Gran Canaria Basketball Academy. Daniels had been tracking Wait through director Rob Orellana, an assistant under Daniels at Cal State Fullerton. While I've been unable to track down Orellana thus far, I did reach Wait's former high school coach at Proctor Academy in New Hampshire. Gregor Makechnie said Wait has received interest from UCLA, Arizona State, Kentucky and Nebraska among others, but he also might opt to play professionally in Europe instead. Wait needs to work on his strength, footwork and toughness, according to Makechnie, but his upside is high. The 21-year-old wants to go to a school where he would be challenged academically and feel comfortable. "The thing UCLA has to determine is if he's a guy who comes in and makes an immediate impact," Makechnie said. "Two years ago he was a work in progress. I haven't seen him this year, but now he might have developed further."
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 09:10:59 AM by oldred10 »

"If u LOVE us that's GREAT... if u HATE us that's GREAT too... if ur in the middle... get the F*CK out!!" - Paul Stanley, KISS

mkras99

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 09:40:53 AM »
Have a very good feeling about this young man ending up here.

pmg911

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 10:02:48 AM »

I was told last week that this was a done deal and there were just a few details to be ironed out with him coming over from Spain..

mkras99

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 10:04:01 AM »

I was told last week that this was a done deal and there were just a few details to be ironed out with him coming over from Spain..

I try to be a little more vague with my posts :)

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
Re: Phil Wait - C - Proctor Academy - Andover, NH
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 11:51:03 AM »
So what are your feelings from what we know?  Obviously we don't know if he's a stiff 7-footer; certainly, a 7 foot talent with a world of (near-NBA) talent wouldn't be here.  But that's not the worst thing; I've always been a big fan of a 7 footer who knows he's tall and doesn't jump unnecessarily/ commit silly touch fouls.  It's the difference between, say, Tomas and Providence's Randall Hanke.  Hanke's not a world-beater but he doesn't try to do too much but be tall on both ends of the floor.  And that kind of player can really help a team.

pmg911

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 11:53:50 AM »
I like the fact that he has a background in soccer..    would lead you to believe he is at least athletic...

Was told his game has improved greatly and that he runs the floor very well...
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 12:32:33 PM by pmg911 »

mkras99

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 12:03:37 PM »
He'd also be a much older than normal freshman, which imho is good.

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 12:05:01 PM »
Its hard to gauge off some of his stats from proctor because any 7 footer should dominate getting easy baskets in highschool. So him scoring 18-22ppg isn't tell all. I looked at his euro basket and it showed Tomas like numbers at 2.2ppg 2.5rpg and 1bpg in 6 games of action but this is back in 2005 for the national championships for Britain.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 04:42:04 PM »
If you're looking for more information (there's not much of it out there, especially stats), you can find him spelled as "Phill" and "Phillip" along with "Phil".

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=12&f=1737&t=2327846&stm=27636397&sto=pagestart#s=12&f=1737&t=2327846

photos of him in HS: http://www.proctoracademy.org/chucks_corner/default.asp?L4=4&newsid=340678&L1=&L2=

And a translated site from Italian, I think:
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=it&u=http://forum.playitusa.com/index.php%3Ftopic%3D7946.180&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=7&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dbruin%2B%2522phill%2Bwait%2522%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26hs%3DBaI%26sa%3DG

"Pros: Keeps ball high when it receives. Runs up and down the well (much better than Love). Good also in defense (shot blocker).

Cons: Not playing "strong" all played. It does not make moves under the basket, being svillupo."

Hey, it's a translation.

Re: Phil Wait - C - Proctor Academy - Andover, NH - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2008, 06:29:46 PM »
I just received word Phil Wait is a Johnny....I'm at work and couldn't update the site

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2008, 06:32:24 PM »
I will confirm this report later tonight after I do some follow ups but I just wanted to share what I heard.

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2008, 07:23:29 PM »
I just received word Phil Wait is a Johnny....I'm at work and couldn't update the site

Thanks for the confirmation JJ..  ;D ... good to see Norm wrap this kid up during his visit. We needed another big. And we got a legit 7'1 center(being recruited by a host of "majors") who can run the floor & put the ball in the hoop. If we can somehow land this Williams kid, suddenly this class starts to look pretty good.... IMO, with Wait, Coker, Jasilonis, Evans, Burrell & Thomas we can now physically match-up with just about anyone in the Big East... Nice job by the staff.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 07:37:39 PM by oldred10 »

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2008, 07:55:39 PM »
This is an article from 10/13/05 :

http://virginiatech.scout.com/a.z?s=191&p=2&c=451881

Enter Phil Wait.

The 7-foot junior from England is a mystery to this point due to injuries suffered on the soccer field, but one thing is for certain: He’ll take up plenty of space and help control the paint.

"He may be the best-kept secret on the east coast,” Makechnie said. “He is a legitimate 7-footer, has a solid frame, runs well and also passes the ball. He really has a chance to be a force.”

While virtually no one has seen Wait, Makechnie said the big man has already received some interest from the likes of Virginia Tech, Davidson and Georgetown.

kjd01067

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2008, 07:55:57 PM »
Well we needed size an we got it.  Hopefully this kid is legit.  We really need another big to take some pressure off JB.  Another good thing about this signing is hopefully we wont have to see Tomas jogging up and down the court not even looking at the ball this upcoming season.

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2008, 07:58:05 PM »
I just received word back and he has indeed committed to St. John's

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2008, 09:17:56 PM »
Great news....this puts JB in his natural position. His size alone should help with rebounding and block shots. Good job by Norm and his staff.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2008, 09:46:22 PM »
let's not get ahead of ourselves - he might be a benchwarmer for now.  and coker might be ahead of him in the center rotation.

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2008, 10:31:37 PM »
let's not get ahead of ourselves - he might be a benchwarmer for now.  and coker might be ahead of him in the center rotation.

Agreed....but now we have 15 fouls to give from the center positions and a little flexibility. If the kid can score on put backs, rebound, and block/alter shoots...that's a start.

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2008, 10:48:21 PM »
I love this signing.  Great job by the staff.  We needed a big man and we got "the best available".  7'1" is very impressive.  And he has touch?  Excellent!