Phil Wait - C - Proctor Academy - Andover, NH - ST. JOHN'S

• 104 replies
Re: Phil Wait - C - Proctor Academy - Andover, NH - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #60 on: June 10, 2008, 12:18:52 PM »
p.s. - Calhoun? Robbins is a nice person..   .. peace!

Maybe he meant Marco Baldi

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #61 on: June 10, 2008, 12:46:58 PM »
Anyone knows which players are on campus/ near campus for the summer working out?

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #62 on: June 10, 2008, 12:55:26 PM »
Anyone knows which players are on campus/ near campus for the summer working out?

I have seen JB, Coker, Evans, DJ, Paris & Tomas in the last two weeks on campus. Have also heard that Boothe has been in the gym everyday. Haven't seen him for myself though.... peace!

"If u LOVE us that's GREAT... if u HATE us that's GREAT too... if ur in the middle... get the F*CK out!!" - Paul Stanley, KISS

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #63 on: June 10, 2008, 01:02:25 PM »

Wasn't Rick Smitts #45?..  ;) .. Hopefully he is patterning his game after him as well... GET UR ASS IN THE WEIGHT ROOM PHIL!!..  ;D .. peace!

"If u LOVE us that's GREAT... if u HATE us that's GREAT too... if ur in the middle... get the F*CK out!!" - Paul Stanley, KISS

kjd01067

« Reply #64 on: June 10, 2008, 01:45:20 PM »
keep the posts in this thread on the topic of  Phil.   anymore of this nonsense will be deleted.

« Reply #65 on: June 10, 2008, 04:44:12 PM »
'BIG' DAY FOR JOHNNIES

By LENN ROBBINS

June 10, 2008

http://www.nypost.com/seven/06102008/sports/big_day_for_johnnies_114815.htm

Glenn Braica, St. John's assistant basketball coach, went to the Canary Islands in March and landed a big fish.

The Red Storm yesterday announced the signing of 7-foot-1 center Phil Wait, who had coaches from UCLA, Kentucky, Kansas and Virginia Tech flocking to the islands.

Wait, a 21-year-old from Manchester, England, averaged 15 points and 10 rebounds last season at Proctor Academy in Andover, N.H., which plays in the same New England prep-school league as St. John's players Justin Burrell and Paris Horne, both of whom attended Bridgton Academy. Wait was a teammate of Connecticut guard Jerome Dyson.

Uncertain if he wanted to play professionally in Europe or go to college in the U.S. and develop his game in hopes of playing in the NBA, Wait enrolled at Gran Canaria Basketball Academy in Spain. The skilled big man, who would not have been available if he played on the AAU circuit, began garnering a lot of attention.

When Wait seemed headed to playing professionally in Europe, several schools backed away, but St. John's kept the recruiting process active. He visited St. John's recently and decided he'd have a chance to develop, as did former St. John's players Lamont Hamilton and Qa'raan Calhoun.

"He's got to work on his upper body strength, but he's a skilled big man who can score," said St. John's coach Norm Roberts.

"We have a post player in Dele Coker who's really strong and is looking to learn to score, and now we have a post player who has a nice scoring touch. He can pass the ball, like most European players, and he wants to develop his upper body strength."

lenn.robbins@nypost.com

p.s. - Calhoun? Robbins is a nice person..  :D .. peace!

i can't believe how robbins can't resist embarassing himself with his total lack of knowledge of st john's basketball.  he probably got the news about wait from this site...then made a call to an administration butt boy.

Randomhero423

« Reply #66 on: June 10, 2008, 04:51:56 PM »
wasn't that norm quotes?

« Reply #67 on: June 10, 2008, 04:58:03 PM »

He visited St. John's recently and decided he'd have a chance to develop, as did former St. John's players Lamont Hamilton and Qa'raan Calhoun.

develop lamont and Q?? Puleeeze

« Reply #68 on: June 10, 2008, 05:29:51 PM »
Seriously guys do I need to put you in the corner for a timeout? I'm at work and will deal with this later. I don't appreciate the nonsense though.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

« Reply #69 on: June 10, 2008, 07:30:40 PM »

He visited St. John's recently and decided he'd have a chance to develop, as did former St. John's players Lamont Hamilton and Qa'raan Calhoun.

develop lamont and Q?? Puleeeze

Developed Q into a Texan.

« Reply #70 on: June 11, 2008, 11:42:12 AM »
PMG please stop trying to "stir the pot!"  ;)

« Reply #71 on: June 11, 2008, 11:51:19 AM »

« Reply #72 on: June 11, 2008, 12:53:32 PM »
this thread is to talk about Mr. Wait.  Thank you.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #73 on: June 11, 2008, 06:07:13 PM »
As a junior in 2005-06, Wait helped the Hornets to an appearance in the NEPSAC championship game, while playing alongside Proctor teammate and current UConn guard Jerome Dyson. Wait averaged 15.0 points and 10.0 rebounds as a senior at Proctor in 2006-07.
http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/new/st-john039s-signs-phil-wait-nli-42419

« Reply #74 on: June 13, 2008, 08:14:39 AM »
Question is: We got ourselves an athletic team except for the bigs - although I think Sean and Dele can run. TJ can't. Dont know bout this big brotha, but sometin tellin me he aint no Jackie Joyner.

What kinda team we puttin out next year?
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #75 on: June 13, 2008, 09:19:04 AM »
With this coaches track record, it seems we will be putting out a losing team as usual for Roberts!

Poison

« Reply #76 on: June 13, 2008, 12:04:43 PM »
Question is: We got ourselves an athletic team except for the bigs - although I think Sean and Dele can run. TJ can't. Dont know bout this big brotha, but sometin tellin me he aint no Jackie Joyner.

What kinda team we puttin out next year?

Sean Evans is athletic.

He's just not experienced. He simply doesn't know the game.

« Reply #77 on: June 13, 2008, 12:14:13 PM »
If he could follow the career path of Aaron Gray I'd be pretty happy.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=15476

http://pittsburghpanthers.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/gray_aaron00.html

He didn't do too much in the beginning of his career but really blossomed by the end of his career when he added more strength/size and became a force.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 12:15:44 PM by JJ »
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

« Reply #78 on: June 13, 2008, 04:34:16 PM »
If he could follow the career path of Aaron Gray I'd be pretty happy.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=15476

http://pittsburghpanthers.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/gray_aaron00.html

He didn't do too much in the beginning of his career but really blossomed by the end of his career when he added more strength/size and became a force.

If you're 7'1 unless you have a serious medical problem like Curtis Johnson, you have no excuse to not be at least serviceable.

« Reply #79 on: June 17, 2008, 02:41:28 PM »

Wow! The first 7 ft plus big man for St. John's in the last decade who can jump more than 6 inches off the ground!