Donald Williams - SF - Progressive Christian - Temple Hills, MD. - KENTUCKY

• 87 replies

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
Re: Donald Williams - SF - Progressive Christian - Temple Hills, MD.
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2008, 04:13:23 PM »
I would agree with Steve P except for two things: 1. Thomas will probably play more down low, I can't see Norm going to a big lineup unless Coker (or even Wait or TJ) can contribute more down low.  and 2. I keep hearing that Williams can shoot a little.  We don't know what Horne is going to look like shooting from the outside for a whole season/ with more attempts, and I think Kennedy will be more consistent; but a guy who can shoot would be welcomed on a team that was so offensively inept.

Poison

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2008, 05:22:40 PM »
I would agree with Steve P except for two things: 1. Thomas will probably play more down low, I can't see Norm going to a big lineup unless Coker (or even Wait or TJ) can contribute more down low.  and 2. I keep hearing that Williams can shoot a little.  We don't know what Horne is going to look like shooting from the outside for a whole season/ with more attempts, and I think Kennedy will be more consistent; but a guy who can shoot would be welcomed on a team that was so offensively inept.

Everyone we have can shoot a little.

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2008, 06:00:18 PM »
I hope we land this kid!!!

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2008, 02:09:31 PM »
We shot 40.9%.
Even by NYC shooting standards, that's weak.

We lost our best three point shooter.
The good news is Eugene Lawrence, who shot 34% and 25% behind the line, is out of eligibility.
The bad news is his replacement is even worse, 30% and missed an amazing 84% of his 3pt attempts, which was actually better than Cavataio's 8% 3pt FG%.

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2008, 04:41:52 PM »
We shot 40.9%.
Even by NYC shooting standards, that's weak.

We lost our best three point shooter.
The good news is Eugene Lawrence, who shot 34% and 25% behind the line, is out of eligibility.
The bad news is his replacement is even worse, 30% and missed an amazing 84% of his 3pt attempts, which was actually better than Cavataio's 8% 3pt FG%.

I played HB and DB in college. I was a completely different player benefiting from the year of experience and a year in the off season program. I am not saying throw out all of last years stats but I expect some improvement.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2008, 07:59:32 PM »
I expect improvement too... but the team was a weak-shooting squad.  They'll be better with an offseason and having played with each other, no matter what.  How much improvement that is, we won't know.

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2008, 03:29:57 PM »
June 09, 2008

Williams Still Deciding

http://njmg.typepad.com/zagsblog/2008/06/williams-still.html#more

After visiting St. John's last week, Donald Williams hopes to see Marquette sometime this week and then make a decision by the end of the month.

"It should be before this month is through," said the 6-foot-5, 210-pound Williams, a senior at Temple Hills (Md.) Progressive Christian Academy.

Williams said Marquette was still in the process of sending him a plane ticket to come sometime this week.

He also has interest from Oklahoma State, UAB and Marshall.

"I have a few other options," he said. "I haven't discussed visiting."

As for the St. John's visit, Williams, who has been compared by his coaches to Ray Allen of the Celtics, said: "It's a wonderful place, wonderful environment."

"If u LOVE us that's GREAT... if u HATE us that's GREAT too... if ur in the middle... get the F*CK out!!" - Paul Stanley, KISS

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2008, 08:14:45 AM »
Any news on the Williams Marquette visit ?

Was he scheduled this past weekend or next ?
Molloy '71

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2008, 01:03:12 PM »
Any news on the Williams Marquette visit ?

Was he scheduled this past weekend or next ?

I'm pretty sure it's this weekend coming up.

"If u LOVE us that's GREAT... if u HATE us that's GREAT too... if ur in the middle... get the F*CK out!!" - Paul Stanley, KISS

« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2008, 10:40:48 AM »
Found by Fordham 96 over on redmen.com.

Marquette lands 6-3 JUCO combo guard -Dwight Buycks. for 2009

In an interesting twist,Marquette gets verbal from teammate of Hardy
(discussed in 2009 section) at Indian Hills CC.

Would'nt it be ironic if Buycks to Marq leads to Williams to SJU leaving Hardy out ?

http://blogs.jsonline.com/muhoops/archive/2008/06/16/bay-view-s-buycks-commits-to-mu.aspx

Former Bay View star Buycks commits to MU
By Todd Rosiak
Monday, Jun 16 2008, 06:54 PM
Dwight Buycks, a former Milwaukee Bay View High School standout, announced his intention to play for Marquette University at a news conference early Monday evening.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 11:14:59 AM by stevep502 »
Molloy '71

Poison

« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2008, 10:52:20 AM »
Found by Fordham 96 over on redmen.com.

Marquette lands 6-3 JUCO combo guard -Dwight Buycks. for 2009

In an interesting twist,Marquette gets verbal from teammate of Hardy
(discussed in 2009 section) at Indian Hills CC. Wouldnt it be ironic
if Buycks to Marq leads to Williams to SJU leaving Hardy out ?

http://blogs.jsonline.com/muhoops/archive/2008/06/16/bay-view-s-buycks-commits-to-mu.aspx

Former Bay View star Buycks commits to MU
By Todd Rosiak
Monday, Jun 16 2008, 06:54 PM
Dwight Buycks, a former Milwaukee Bay View High School standout, announced his intention to play for Marquette University at a news conference early Monday evening.

who says we don't land williams and hardy? someone will be asked to leave at some point, and for all we know someone else on this current roster will jump ship b4 08-09.

« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2008, 11:31:27 AM »
You left out one of the most interesting statements of that article....

MU has two additional scholarships available, and at this point it appears as though both will be earmarked for the 2009-'10 class as well.

So I'm unsure if this is more opinionated than fact but if true this closes the door on Williams and leaves it wide open for us. I'm still against grabbing a player now.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2008, 12:36:46 PM »
You left out one of the most interesting statements of that article....

MU has two additional scholarships available, and at this point it appears as though both will be earmarked for the 2009-'10 class as well.

So I'm unsure if this is more opinionated than fact but if true this closes the door on Williams and leaves it wide open for us. I'm still against grabbing a player now.

Until Williams opens up his recruitment again and chooses St.Louis over us, Coppin State and Loyola Chicago.

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2008, 07:39:03 PM »
Williams Sweepstakes Ongoing

Posted by Adam Zagoria at 6/17/2008 5:32 PM

http://blog.zagsblog.net/2008/06/17/williams-sweepstakes-ongoing.aspx

The 6-foot-5, 210-pound Williams, a senior at Temple Hills (Md.) Progressive Christian Academy, said Tuesday he is still deciding between Marquette, St. John's and Oklahoma State. He visited St. John's recently and enjoyed the trip, and still hopes to see the other two.

"I haven't seen Marquette yet," he said. "I'm trying to get some paperwork mailed off today to the (NCAA) Clearinghouse and then I'm getting some stuff sent to my house. I should be going to Marquette and Oklahoma State but I just got to take care of this paperwork.

"I should be able to decide by the end of June."

As for the St. John's visit, Williams, who has been compared by his coaches to Ray Allen of the Celtics, previously said: "It's a wonderful place, wonderful environment."

Poison

« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2008, 09:36:11 PM »
Williams Sweepstakes Ongoing

Posted by Adam Zagoria at 6/17/2008 5:32 PM

http://blog.zagsblog.net/2008/06/17/williams-sweepstakes-ongoing.aspx

The 6-foot-5, 210-pound Williams, a senior at Temple Hills (Md.) Progressive Christian Academy, said Tuesday he is still deciding between Marquette, St. John's and Oklahoma State. He visited St. John's recently and enjoyed the trip, and still hopes to see the other two.

"I haven't seen Marquette yet," he said. "I'm trying to get some paperwork mailed off today to the (NCAA) Clearinghouse and then I'm getting some stuff sent to my house. I should be going to Marquette and Oklahoma State but I just got to take care of this paperwork.

"I should be able to decide by the end of June."

As for the St. John's visit, Williams, who has been compared by his coaches to Ray Allen of the Celtics, previously said: "It's a wonderful place, wonderful environment."

if it's so wonderful, what's the hold up? he'd rather go to some dirt town?
you couldn't pay me to step foot in Wisconsin or Oklahoma.

« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2008, 01:01:44 AM »
I wouldn't mind my son being coached by Bo Ryan.

« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2008, 01:05:56 AM »
Actually there are parts of Wisconsin that are really nice...ever been to Madison?  You might be right about Oklahoma though.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2008, 11:41:12 AM »
OK State's involvement worries me.  New coach (Travis Ford) with a fast style... on the other hand, they have a slew of frosh and sophomores and JC players.  On the other hand, so does St. John's. 

« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2008, 11:59:23 AM »
OK State's involvement worries me.  New coach (Travis Ford) with a fast style... on the other hand, they have a slew of frosh and sophomores and JC players.  On the other hand, so does St. John's. 

Are you really sweating this guy though? I'm very comfortable just letting him walk where ever because I really want to hold this scholly till '09
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2008, 03:35:27 PM »
I don't know what to think, really.  But some good teams are involved with him, and maybe he has that shooting skill that this team sorely lacks.  If it were me?  Yeah, I'd let him walk.  And "worry" is completely the wrong word.  If he really is a shooter in the rough (I wish Zagoria would stop using the "his coach compares him to Ray Allen" line until there is some kind of evidence - shooting percentage, some video), it would be nice to have him.

Not sure that he'd see a lot of time, though. 

But getting a couple of solid NYC players (Parrom and Bruce or some other PF) in '09 would be nice.