Donald Williams - SF - Progressive Christian - Temple Hills, MD. - KENTUCKY

• 87 replies
Re: Donald Williams - SF - Progressive Christian - Temple Hills, MD.
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2008, 07:36:45 AM »
Ray Allen is Ray Allen.
Neva seen this bortha play, but always wary when coach make crazy comparisons.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2008, 07:55:51 AM »
For real.  "Ray Allen?"  If he was Ray Allen (coming out of HS or in college) I can't believe no one wouldn't know about him.  New Orleans and Maryland aren't Northern Idaho or the Dakotas. 

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2008, 03:49:44 PM »
I'm starting to re-think my position on this kid. Since it appears that we are in very good shape with kids like Hardy, Parrom, Spellman, Bruce, Baskin, etc... we probably should hold that schollie for next year. Unless of course this kid really is the "next" Ray Allen..  :o .. peace!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 03:58:21 PM by oldred10 »

"If u LOVE us that's GREAT... if u HATE us that's GREAT too... if ur in the middle... get the F*CK out!!" - Paul Stanley, KISS

« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2008, 07:58:41 PM »
I'm starting to re-think my position on this kid. Since it appears that we are in very good shape with kids like Hardy, Parrom, Spellman, Bruce, Baskin, etc... we probably should hold that schollie for next year. Unless of course this kid really is the "next" Ray Allen..  :o .. peace!

You dont have to rethink , we are in good shape with the class of 2009 and Norm will in all probability hold the ship. 

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2008, 08:38:07 PM »
Ah, but what does "good shape" even mean.

« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2008, 06:29:44 AM »
Ah, but what does "good shape" even mean.

I dont have a crystal ball and will not get in to a debate on words.
Do you have an interpretation ?

pmg911

« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2008, 08:43:38 AM »

You dont have to rethink , we are in good shape with the class of 2009 and Norm will in all probability hold the ship. 

how do you come to the conclusion we are in good shape with Class of 2009..   we have one single commitment from an undersized guard..

At this time last year people honestly thought we were in good sape with 2008 class too..    and we all know how that went locally...

Until this staff signs a single primary recruiting target it is all but impossible to show even the slightest bit of real confidence in the staff..  recruiting is about result, not effort, and this staff just doesn't get the players..

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2008, 09:27:45 AM »
redmannorth: my interpretation would be that we have an important recruit's verbal.  as pmg said, the staff thought they'd get one of their targets (prime or not, to me, isn't an important distinction, a recruiter can't have their eggs in one basket unless they are from a school that players don't turn down) last year.  Without at least a verbal, it's hard to say that one of the NYC players the school is looking at will definitely be suiting up in 09-10.

I'd hold the 'ship, anyway, for the chance at one of those players.  My comment, without a question mark, is a rhetorical question.  Not asking you to define what good shape is or anything.  Hopefully the staff will lock down another player or two before the season, and this argument will dissipate.

« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2008, 11:07:05 AM »

how do you come to the conclusion we are in good shape with Class of 2009..   we have one single commitment from an undersized guard..

At this time last year people honestly thought we were in good sape with 2008 class too..    and we all know how that went locally...

Until this staff signs a single primary recruiting target it is all but impossible to show even the slightest bit of real confidence in the staff..  recruiting is about result, not effort, and this staff just doesn't get the players..

Once again we agree to disagree. How many commitments do you expect us to have at this point in time for 2009 ?
I am satisfied with the one verbal we currently have. If you expect them to have more than one verbal at this point in time you are certainly entitled to your opinion though I cannot say I share same. 
Only a blind man would have though we were in good shape with the class of 2008 last year. Anyone who followed recruiting knew we put all the eggs in the SL basket and we were the runner up. I dont care how the class went locally , I care how it ended. I dont care if the recruits come from England or Brooklyn as long as we get good players. I believe we ended the 2008 class with a decent class that has the potential to be good, only time will tell.
Agree that we have not signed a primary recruiting target in a while, but that does not preclude SJU from ending up with a good class.   

« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2008, 11:09:52 AM »
I'd hold the 'ship, anyway, for the chance at one of those players.  My comment, without a question mark, is a rhetorical question.  Not asking you to define what good shape is or anything.  Hopefully the staff will lock down another player or two before the season, and this argument will dissipate.

Hopefully the staff will get two good commitments prior to May 15, 2009.

« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2008, 12:57:43 PM »
at least you're honest, north, and say "good" commitments.  unfortunately, "good" guarantees sub .500 in the big east for the foreseeable future.

i would have hoped for better.

« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2008, 05:43:49 AM »
Which players, Canadian or otherwise, do you perceive St. John's to be in "good shape" with?

kjd01067

« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2008, 07:26:32 PM »
http://www.zagsblog.net/2008/06/28/donald-williams-stanley-robinson-updates/#more-283

“He didn’t sign with St. John’s,” Tate said. “They really wanted him. Marquette never followed through on the visit. University of Houston and Marshall are still interested in him.”

Interesting quote... not sure what to think of that.  Did we pull the offer or did he see the other guards we had signed???

« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2008, 07:43:12 PM »
St. John's pulled their offer to him.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2008, 10:10:07 AM »
Which players, Canadian or otherwise, do you perceive St. John's to be in "good shape" with?

I have no knowledge, but the staff believes they are in good shape with the class of 2009.

pmg911

« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2008, 11:14:55 AM »
The staff had the same thoughts about 2008 class too...

« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2008, 01:45:17 PM »
see. i don't know what good shape means.  my feeling is marquette, georgetown, connecticut, pittsburgh and louisville are in good shape because they already have two four star signings each for '09.  georgetown has a five star. villanova has at least one five star.    these are the teams we have to play every year.

great shape would be north carolina.  they have two five star signings and three four star signings. 

in other words, grabbing one three star player to compete with the above is supposed to pass for "good shape".  redmannorth...you know i respect you.  we've had many private conversations.  saying we're in good shape, however, is the definition of "enabling". 

to me, grabbing three star players and less to compete in a league that's loaded with four and five stars is the definition of "failure".  it's a promise of sub .500 seasons in the conference every year in the foreseeable future.  it's a promise that we may "upset" one or two of these teams in a given year and hang our hats on that.

right now, the program sucks a big elephant johnson.  how that passes for "good shape" is beyond me.       

« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2008, 04:12:04 PM »
The staff had the same thoughts about 2008 class too...

No they did not, dont know where you get this from.
Everyone knows all eggs were in the SL basket with the one ship we had at the time.

« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2008, 04:20:37 PM »
see. i don't know what good shape means.  my feeling is marquette, georgetown, connecticut, pittsburgh and louisville are in good shape because they already have two four star signings each for '09.  georgetown has a five star. villanova has at least one five star.    these are the teams we have to play every year.

great shape would be north carolina.  they have two five star signings and three four star signings. 

in other words, grabbing one three star player to compete with the above is supposed to pass for "good shape".  redmannorth...you know i respect you.  we've had many private conversations.  saying we're in good shape, however, is the definition of "enabling". 

to me, grabbing three star players and less to compete in a league that's loaded with four and five stars is the definition of "failure".  it's a promise of sub .500 seasons in the conference every year in the foreseeable future.  it's a promise that we may "upset" one or two of these teams in a given year and hang our hats on that.

right now, the program sucks a big elephant johnson.  how that passes for "good shape" is beyond me.       

Good shape means they are seriously being considered by the top kids in NYC.
other than Lance, who very well may not go to college for a host of reasons, I dont believe there are any other 5 star recruits in NYC.
So if we get 2 of the other top kids in the City you are correct in that we may be only falling further behind in terms of the quality of player on our roster compared to the elite schools in our conference. However, if we would get 2 of the top kids in NYC it would be a big improvement in our recruiting which hopefully could be continued or dare I say improved in the very near future.

As for the shape of the program I did not say or imply that we are in " good shape " so I am a little unclear as to where that remark comes from.

« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2008, 04:51:57 PM »
this is what you posted on june 21st...

"You dont have to rethink , we are in good shape with the class of 2009 and Norm will in all probability hold the ship."