FDU

• 122 replies
Re: FDU
« Reply #80 on: December 11, 2014, 09:10:58 AM »
Yeah he needs to get over it. You get the minutes you earn. 

Foad

« Reply #81 on: December 11, 2014, 09:30:11 AM »
I think rysheed should stop crying. Team won the game. If he want la more playing time he should play better. His playing time slipped when he started turning the ball over. This is a team game not an NBA show case .
Team is playing well. Hopefully Jordan is enjoying that & ready to play smart & be an integral part of that success. With Obekpa becoming more proficient passing from the post to cutters and open shooters, he should get tons of scoring opportunities. We obviously need his talent to contend with the solid teams. Btw, he did play 24 minutes last night in a game that was never in doubt.
He's no longer the starting point guard. Last night he played less minutes than Jamal Branch, who's generally awful and who last night played the worst 28 minutes of basketball in Division 1 this year. A couple of games ago Felix Balamou - who lost a year of his life last year because Lavin wanted to prove a point to Jordan - started in the second half to prove another point and the game after that a walk on started over him. Unlike any player during the Lavin regime I can recall, he's not allowed to talk to the press. None of this is coincidental and it's all happened before. 

TONYD3

« Reply #82 on: December 11, 2014, 10:08:34 AM »
Felix is a college athlete who did not lose a year of his life. His college coach chose not to redshirt him.  He is a part of the program and he should be treated well. Their is no evidence that is not the case. However the head of the program decided for what ever reason that giving him a fifth year was not best for the program. Happens at every college every year . Happens more in football because of more redshirts.
Besides foad does anyone think Lavin was wrong?

desco80

« Reply #83 on: December 11, 2014, 10:14:01 AM »
Felix is a college athlete who did not lose a year of his life. His college coach chose not to redshirt him. He is a part of the program and he should be treated well. Their is no evidence that is not the case. However the head of the program decided for what ever reason that giving him a fifth year was not best for the program. Happens at every college every year . Happens more in football because of more redshirts. Besides foad does anyone think Lavin was wrong?

Yes.   The whole situation was handled poorly.  Felix didn't play in the first 11 games.   And it had nothing to do with strategy or value.   He didn't play in preseason games or a 50pt blowout of Fordham.   Then Jordan starts acting up and coach uses Felix to teach a lesson.   Not good.
From Jordan going home, to teaching him a lesson, to coach blaming it on a sick mother.    It just wasn't handled properly.

Foad

« Reply #84 on: December 11, 2014, 10:18:15 AM »

Poison

« Reply #85 on: December 11, 2014, 10:35:11 AM »
I think rysheed should stop crying. Team won the game. If he want la more playing time he should play better. His playing time slipped when he started turning the ball over. This is a team game not an NBA show case .
He played better than Branch against SU and again last night against FDU. What else? 

TONYD3

« Reply #86 on: December 11, 2014, 11:14:57 AM »
Besides foad does anyone think Lavin was wrong?
Nearly everyone actually http://johnnyjungle.com/forum/index.php?topic=8943.msg206192#msg206192
Rembwr that thread . No need for me to reread it. Ur opinion then as now is that the  evil coach punished a player for no reason. 1st by taking off his red shirt (that he isn't owed) 2nd by saying Lavin should play him more..He is a good defender , u like his shooting touch ( he hit 1 basket last year ) and he is an excellent free throw shooter ( who has never taken an important free throw at St. John's. 
He is arguably the last scholarship player in the rotation . Has done little in a few opportunities this year. 
The more we win, the less we will hear from you. Do you root for the team to win or lose? Would you rather Lavin call time out and we score? Or Lavin call timeout and we get called for a 5 second violation. I don't believe that you think felix is a good basketball player. You just like calling Lavin names And showing how clever you are on the Internet

« Reply #87 on: December 11, 2014, 11:33:06 AM »
Important for people to note when discussing Rysheed's twitter going-ons: his friends/handlers often tweet from his account, so it may not be him retweeting it.  Important to keep in mind.  
On the topic of Rysheed's play, yes he makes many immature plays but is still outplaying Branch.  Me thinks he should be playing over Branch and there is some head game stuff going on.  I think what Foad brought up in his game recap about why he's being "held back" a bit is definitely a possibility, and there are many people in the basketball world that have been thinking along those same lines ever since last season.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

Foad

« Reply #88 on: December 11, 2014, 11:38:00 AM »
Rembwr that thread . No need for me to reread it.

If you rembwr the thread why did you ask if anyone other than me thought that Balamou got screwed? Because to a man everyone who posted in that thread said he did. So either you don't rembwr, or you're a liar. Take your pick. BTW your opinion in that thread, in case you don't rembwr, was that you didn't care whether Balamou got screwed, because he's not that good at basketball and the sooner he gets out the better. Which, as I pointed out then, makes you sort of a douche, because he's a person, not a commodity.

TONYD3

« Reply #89 on: December 11, 2014, 12:08:59 PM »
Getting screwed is part of life. This divison 1 basketball not CYO. Since felix has demonstrated on limited opportunities that he isn't that good, I assumed most on the board would have changed their minds.

« Reply #90 on: December 11, 2014, 12:34:37 PM »
Getting screwed is part of life. This divison 1 basketball not CYO. Since felix has demonstrated on limited opportunities that he isn't that good, I assumed most on the board would have changed their minds.
It depends on whether Felix was told he was being red-shirted. If he was, well... i do not recall the circumstances, or if that was the case.

Foad

« Reply #91 on: December 11, 2014, 12:36:26 PM »
Getting screwed is part of life.
So contrary to 45 minutes ago you now agree that Balamou got screwed by Lavin. You just don't care, because now you can wear your Saint John's sweatshirt on the subway again. 
Thanks for playing.

Foad

« Reply #92 on: December 11, 2014, 12:43:04 PM »
It depends on whether Felix was told he was being red-shirted. If he was, well... i do not recall the circumstances, or if that was the case.

Shot:

"St. John's has also activated sophomore guard Felix Balamou, who Lavin had been planning to redshirt this year. Balamou averaged 2.0 assists and 1.0 rebounds in 9.1 minutes per game last season before injuring his ankle in the Big East tournament."

Chaser:

"Lavin said the activation of Balamou was unrelated to Jordan's absence."

Poison

« Reply #93 on: December 11, 2014, 01:00:26 PM »
Looks like Joey will be available for St.Mary's. 
I wonder if he might be better than expected? 

Keady said he has soft hands, but that he hasn't been well coached. 

DFF6

« Reply #94 on: December 11, 2014, 01:06:04 PM »
Looks like Joey will be available for St.Mary's. I wonder if he might be better than expected? Keady said he has soft hands, but that he hasn't been well coached.

Well then, he should fit right in!  ;)

« Reply #95 on: December 11, 2014, 01:47:41 PM »
Perhaps Hollywood is trying to keep the Saviors numbers down so that he returns next season.  That's the only thing I can think of.

I am getting a chuckle out of the fact that the issue is no longer whether Aggie should start over the Triangle, but whether he should start over Jordan.  :)

« Reply #96 on: December 11, 2014, 02:59:02 PM »
Lots of folks don't think Felix was screwed. Certainly, Felix never complained.  Lavin and the coaching staff are the only ones who know what happened and why. Some people presume facts and form judgments that have no substance. No matter how many times they repeat their speculation based criticism on this board, it is still just that--an opinion based on nothing.

desco80

« Reply #97 on: December 11, 2014, 03:23:06 PM »
Lots of folks don't think Felix was screwed. Certainly, Felix never complained. Lavin and the coaching staff are the only ones who know what happened and why. Some people presume facts and form judgments that have no substance. No matter how many times they repeat their speculation based criticism on this board, it is still just that--an opinion based on nothing.
I disagree.  "Their" opinions are based on numerous stats, quotes, and observations.  Reasonable people make inferences based on much less everyday. 

« Reply #98 on: December 11, 2014, 04:07:29 PM »
The whole Felix thing was made worse I believe when Lavin tried to re-redshirt him after he had already played in four games.

Marillac

« Reply #99 on: December 11, 2014, 05:20:43 PM »
Branch has played poorly two games in a row.  Jordan is the new Sampson...bonehead plays and mistakes at key moments...takes jumpers whenever he feels like it. He tried to give Syracuse the game like Sampson did last year. Unlike Sampson, though, he isn't surrounded by similar guys on this roster and he takes care of his defensive and rebounding responsibilities. I can live with the mistakes out of him, but he does need to stop taking so many ill-timed shots and cut out a few turnovers.  What a talent he is. 

A (possilby) unintended consequence of Jordan sitting is the statline getting deflated.  Not that any NBA GM is considering him for 2015 with a 60% FT shooting and 26% from three and 4 TOs a game...but possibly some his people might get the hint.  We'll need this kid to improve and give his best by March.