Mitch Richmond joins St. John's staff

• 26 replies

Mitch Richmond joins St. John's staff
« on: October 06, 2015, 03:21:09 PM »
Zach Braziller ‏@NYPost_Brazille  2m2 minutes ago Queens, NY
St. John's makes it official, adds Mitch Richmond to staff as special assistant. #sjubb

Moose

Re: Mitch Richmond joins St. John's staff
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 03:23:25 PM »
In a previous text a few days ago I stated that I heard from a source that Mitch wasn't coming. Heard from a second source that he is happy with his current position as a scout for the Sacremento  Kings and will not be coming to SJU. Just passing along what I have heard (you don't have to believe it...Moose).

I just asked if you were aware he was at an SJU event wearing SJU apparel.  I find it odd how he would be at SJU event wearing SJU clothing when really he has 0 ties to the university.  And also its not like he and Mullin played 10 years together.

My understanding is all signs point to him coming on board but money is tight.
Whew, that was quick!  :)  What you say may very well be true which would explain why he is happy at his current position but maybe more $ would entice him to take SJU job. Source was also a scout for an NBA team and basically says they have The Life of Riley compared to coaches which is what he used to be at the collegiate level.

bump
Remember who broke the Slice news

mkras99

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 03:25:49 PM »
In a previous text a few days ago I stated that I heard from a source that Mitch wasn't coming. Heard from a second source that he is happy with his current position as a scout for the Sacremento  Kings and will not be coming to SJU. Just passing along what I have heard (you don't have to believe it...Moose).

I just asked if you were aware he was at an SJU event wearing SJU apparel.  I find it odd how he would be at SJU event wearing SJU clothing when really he has 0 ties to the university.  And also its not like he and Mullin played 10 years together.

Whew, that was quick!  :)  What you say may very well be true which would explain why he is happy at his current position but maybe more $ would entice him to take SJU job. Source was also a scout for an NBA team and basically says they have The Life of Riley compared to coaches which is what he used to be at the collegiate level.

bump

Celtics11 wins award for worst sources ever.

QuanMan

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 03:36:05 PM »
Major news! This staff is primetime!
Section 3
Section 116

Johnny23

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 03:41:38 PM »
What I wonder is just how impressed recruits will be with the idea of Mitch Richmond? He starred in California, and he played college ball pretty far away from here. Will it matter to a 16/17 year old kid that Mitch Richmond was great 20 years ago? What I think he will help with is the Red/White fan base. (Like Gene Keady did) They're the ones who know who he is, and how good he was. (And yes, for those too young to remember, he was that good)

Just like with Mullin, potential recruits will be impressed by Richmond's NBA All Star pedigree. They will also youtube him and check him out on the internet. So yes, it does matter and it will reinforce the messaging of this staff when they tell these kids that they know what it takes to get to the next level and succeed there. Should be a nice boost.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 03:52:41 PM »
This also shows Dr. G is backing up his words by action, and showing that SJU is really willing to do everything that is possible to have a great program again.
This is great for the team, the conference, and NYC, that SJU is sending a wake up call to everyone that they better pay attention. 
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 04:16:00 PM »

bump

Celtics11 wins award for worst sources ever.
Was just passing along info from 2 guys who were at SJU functions at told me the info and I even asked them if they were sure and they said yes. I still wasn't sure. But they will have some splaining to do to me because I am still wiping the egg off my face.

jsk

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2015, 04:19:11 PM »
Amen & Hooray!  :D

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2015, 04:19:23 PM »
Recruiting SMC - bam!

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2015, 04:24:13 PM »
Or Run BMC... :up:

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2015, 05:57:57 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqzWUxtukbA

I recommend finding the entire interview on you tube.  It's a fun listen.

Bringing in Mitch Richmond HAS to help recruiting big time.  He'll be another piece who can show the kids how to get to the NBA.  This is big...

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2015, 08:55:51 PM »
Awesome news! Welcome Mitch
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2015, 10:42:03 PM »
Eat your heart out ed cooley lol

ras

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2015, 10:55:21 PM »
In all honesty it's a worthless position. No need to pay millions to have your buddy on the team.
I think Richmond is going to do a lot more than your traditional DOBO.  We also don't have the added special assistant salary than Lavin had. Admittedly ,I would have liked to have a big man coach, I feel Mullin has the shooting dept covered. Thad said, We have a very formidable staff, w an unprecedented 2 HOFs.

Wods317

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2015, 11:01:17 PM »
In all honesty it's a worthless position. No need to pay millions to have your buddy on the team.
I think Richmond is going to do a lot more than your traditional DOBO.  We also don't have the added special assistant salary than Lavin had. Admittedly ,I would have liked to have a big man coach, I feel Mullin has the shooting dept covered. Thad said, We have a very formidable staff, w an unprecedented 2 HOFs.

Richmond is the special assistant so we definitely still have that salary. Richmond is not the Dobo, that's position was filled a while back.

ras

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2015, 01:52:19 PM »

Richmond is the special assistant so we definitely still have that salary. Richmond is not the Dobo, that's position was filled a while back.
My bad. On paper Keady was a great hire. But I think we will get more out of the Richmond hire.

desco80

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2015, 02:37:21 PM »

Bringing in Mitch Richmond HAS to help recruiting big time.  He'll be another piece who can show the kids how to get to the NBA.  This is big...

by rule, as special assistant to the HC, he cannot work with the players.   

Johnny23

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2015, 08:48:01 PM »

by rule, as special assistant to the HC, he cannot work with the players.

From yesterday's Post: "His job will include assisting the staff with team activities, planning practice, analyzing film and developing strategy."

So can he not have any interaction with the players? Keady was on the bench and would interact with the players during games.

jsk

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2015, 08:48:44 PM »
Does that rule apply to all, or just at games? Can he help at practice, recruiting, mentoring, etc. Can someone clarify what is acceptable and what is not please?