First Exhibition!

• 54 replies
Re: First Exhibition!
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2014, 05:30:41 PM »
Very sloppy first half.  They just ran up and down the court with no semblance of an offensive scheme.  The pressure D in the second half opened the lead a bit.  D'lo was D'lo.  He knows how to score. 

Unlike some of the posts I read during the game, I like what I saw from Christian Jones, considering it was his first game action in more than a year.  Branch played under control.  Dom contributed positively.  I didn't see all the mistakes that posters complained about.

The negatives are that we gave up a lot of 3's and we had a few defensive breakdowns that allowed them to score inside.

Lavin played a 9 man rotation.  Isn't that what everyone was calling for?  I'm sure if we had opened up a big lead, others might have seen some minutes.  We never got more than 11 or 12 pts ahead, and they closed that quickly.

Wods317

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2014, 05:31:39 PM »
Lets see the team play in a regular season game before we freak out. We played sloppy today and we are thin on front line yes but let this thing play out a bit. This is the first game the guys have played in a while, if after NJIT we still look this sloppy and poor on defense then commence with the freak outs but for one exhibition game I think we looked okay overall but were obviously deficient in some key areas. Excited to see how about Obepka looks against D1 players, he needs a big year for us.

ras

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2014, 05:40:13 PM »
That's great to hear after Thomass loss. It's comforting to hear ADR isn't even in good enough shape to play in an exhibition game. You can cross him off the list  for helping us fill the void from the Thomas debacle.

Poison

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2014, 05:57:40 PM »
Terrible defense today. Except for Obekpa. He's going to have a great season. I expected us to have depth this year. Today, the only player who came off the bench and gave us anything was Branch.

Jordan was out control and not passing at all in the first half. In the second half, he did better playing off the ball.
Harrison was Harrison.
Greene did almost nothing.
Pointer was pretty good overall. We need a big year from him.
Jones was terrible on defense, and he needs to finish stronger on offense. I'm not sure there is one player on Humbolt state that he could guard.
Alibegovic looked like a deer in headlights.
Balamou was invisible.

Delarosa, the freshman didn't play. Joey Delarosa didn't play either, and he was sitting behind the bench for some reason. #30 also sat behind the bench and didn't play. Stewart and Henderson didn't play, which was disappointing.

Overall, it was a pretty disappointing effort. They just don't play hard enough.

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2014, 06:12:57 PM »
I mean this is what the preseason games are for. You really aren't world beaters in your first game, if you remember last year they won their first preseason game by 2 then blew out Humboldt.

Couple of notes from the stands:

Jordan had a terrible first half then played strong on offense in the second. His defense was real bad though, hope that was just a preseason thing.

Obekpa triple double won't be an aberration. Dude looks ready for the big time.

Harrison is what he always is, was or ever will be.

Jones looked bad on defense as well, should have tried more on offense he could take those guys. But 6 and 4 off knee surgery is fine.

Balamou and Alib were pretty much nothing which was disappointing. Again though PRESEASON!

I wonder how Delarosa is supposed to get in game shape if he doesn't get to play in a meaningless game.

Greene was apparently had a muscle problem so he only played 17 minutes. Branch looked good though playing 26 minutes. 5 points, 5 assists, 3 steals is cool with me.

Hopefully next week they play better. PRESEASON!!!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 06:13:35 PM by HowCouldUBeSoHarkless »

Marillac

« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2014, 06:14:35 PM »
Very sloppy first half.  They just ran up and down the court with no semblance of an offensive scheme.  The pressure D in the second half opened the lead a bit.  D'lo was D'lo.  He knows how to score. 

Unlike some of the posts I read during the game, I like what I saw from Christian Jones, considering it was his first game action in more than a year.  Branch played under control.  Dom contributed positively.  I didn't see all the mistakes that posters complained about.

Christian Jones and Dom Pointer were both burned all game long on defense.  Dom made at least six bonehead plays.  Jones dropped nearly everything that touched his hands. 

Out of the two, Dom has a chance due to his athletic ability alone.  If Jones plays more than 10 mpg, we've already lost.

« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2014, 06:17:25 PM »
Marillac, get over your Dom thing.  He didn't play badly.

Marillac

« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2014, 06:34:18 PM »
Marillac, get over your Dom thing.  He didn't play badly.

He played terrible.  His only saving grace is that he is twice as athletic as every player on Humboldt and that allowed him to get away with several bad decision.  It's not a "Dom thing."  He's a dumb player.  He makes a good layup and runs down the floor and grabs the Humboldt player 30 feet from the basket?  Is this his first game?  We go on a run and he throws the ball away and then let's three consecutive guys get wide open shots.   He rotated poorly all night and got blown by several times.  He drove the ball well on offense against D-2 PFs when they were in man...that is the strongest part of his game.

« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2014, 06:45:36 PM »
Delarosa, the freshman didn't play. Joey Delarosa didn't play either, and he was sitting behind the bench for some reason. #30 also sat behind the bench and didn't play.

Joey Delarosa not eligible to play until the end of the first semester.  Mid-season transfer rules.

Marillac

« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2014, 06:56:48 PM »
Delarosa, the freshman didn't play. Joey Delarosa didn't play either, and he was sitting behind the bench for some reason. #30 also sat behind the bench and didn't play.

Joey Delarosa not eligible to play until the end of the first semester.  Mid-season transfer rules.

His addition might be huge.  He looks like he's in the best shape of his life.  He could barely get up and down the court when he first started college.  We need someone to give us 10 mpg.

paultzman

« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2014, 07:37:12 PM »
I mean this is what the preseason games are for. You really aren't world beaters in your first game, if you remember last year they won their first preseason game by 2 then blew out Humboldt.

Jordan had a terrible first half then played strong on offense in the second. His defense was real bad though, hope that was just a preseason thing.

Jones looked bad on defense as well, should have tried more on offense he could take those guys. But 6 and 4 off knee surgery is fine.

Balamou and Alib were pretty much nothing which was disappointing. Again though PRESEASON!

I wonder how Delarosa is supposed to get in game shape if he doesn't get to play in a meaningless game.

Greene was apparently had a muscle problem so he only played 17 minutes. Branch looked good though playing 26 minutes. 5 points, 5 assists, 3 steals is cool with me.

i

If Adonis does not practice hard and work on his conditioning, he does not deserve to play. Seize the opportunity for some minutes big guy. Lost opportunity or play for pay one day in Bolivia or somewhere.

« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2014, 08:31:37 PM »
How is it possible that he is out of shape?

Marillac

« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2014, 08:34:46 PM »

Disagree with you about Amar and Balamou.  First, Balamou played  just seven minutes. He had a really nice assist of a wild pass under the basket.  He also set up Amar nicely for a wide open three that rimmed out. He had no turnover or mental errors and played solid d.  He also tapped a rebound to a teammate for a putback.  He signaled for Jordan twice to throw him alley-oops  when he took great angles to the basket resulting in wide open looks, but Jordan missed both--Branch would have delivered. 

Next, Amar is not star and likely never will be, but he played well for a freshman playing in his first game.  He got off a good looking three (not everything falls) and he hustled and boxed out all night.  I think the box score only shows 2-3 boards by Amar, but he really pins his man on the box outs and lets the ball bounce for the guards--not sure if it is a Euro thing?  He's gotta learn to box out and then go after those balls himself.  Now, Amar is not my type of player, but he is bigger than I expected and he didn't float on the perimeter like I thought he would.  He also played both PF and C which makes him extremely valuable. 

« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2014, 08:38:31 PM »
Adonis hurt his ankle at the end of the open practice and was limping noticeably. Could be that it hasn't healed yet.

Moose

« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2014, 08:41:59 PM »

Disagree with you about Amar and Balamou.  First, Balamou played  just seven minutes. He had a really nice assist of a wild pass under the basket.  He also set up Amar nicely for a wide open three that rimmed out. He had no turnover or mental errors and played solid d.  He also tapped a rebound to a teammate for a putback.  He signaled for Jordan twice to throw him alley-oops  when he took great angles to the basket resulting in wide open looks, but Jordan missed both--Branch would have delivered. 

Next, Amar is not star and likely never will be, but he played well for a freshman playing in his first game.  He got off a good looking three (not everything falls) and he hustled and boxed out all night.  I think the box score only shows 2-3 boards by Amar, but he really pins his man on the box outs and lets the ball bounce for the guards--not sure if it is a Euro thing?  He's gotta learn to box out and then go after those balls himself.  Now, Amar is not my type of player, but he is bigger than I expected and he didn't float on the perimeter like I thought he would.  He also played both PF and C which makes him extremely valuable. 

I'm already President of the Ali Fan Club so you're too late there.

He didn't play great today.  You're right the 3 was a nice look.  I really like his form it didn't fall.  He does box out well but he's also allergic to the ball.  I counted 3 times at least where the ball hit the ground and he didn't even lunge for it.  He's a smart ballplayer which is something we lack.  I only wish he had someone on the staff who can develop him.  Him and Jones are going to HAVE to play and god forbid Chris gets hurt or in foul trouble we might see both of them in there. 

Disappointed ADR couldn't see any time.  If he's not conditioned isn't that what exhibitions games are SUPPOSED to be for?  I totally forgot JDR misses 1st semester.  Not that he's the secret weapon but it sucks.  Always drama with this team.  Always something.
Remember who broke the Slice news

SJUFAN

« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2014, 08:46:09 PM »
Looks like we're going to get destroyed on the boards this year.

Poison

« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2014, 09:03:58 PM »
Coming from CTK, I expect Delarosa to be well coached. I can't understand why he hasn't paid any attention to his health. The guy isn't just a little out of shape. He's a type 2 diabetes candidate. The guy needs to start taking his career, and his life seriously. Alibegovic also looks well coached in terms of ball movement and knowing where to be, but he needs to learn how to rebound. We need him and Delarosa to improve this year, or we going to get destroyed inside this year.

Moose

« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2014, 09:47:56 PM »
At least they shot FT's well.

What do you people want?  Perfection?????
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2014, 10:34:10 PM »

His addition might be huge.  He looks like he's in the best shape of his life.  He could barely get up and down the court when he first started college.  We need someone to give us 10 mpg.

???  ???  ???

If he plays more than 10 min all season SJU is in trouble.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2014, 10:48:08 PM »
This was not a great showing by any means but thought Lav did a good job of getting guys a good amount of run. Some quick yanks to have assistants talk with them and check back in.

In the beginning of the game the guys were simply too passive/unselfish which results in mistakes then they went polar opposite and played selfishly forcing the ball. I hope that the team recognizes that Harrison and Jordan need to get A LOT of touches/shots. Others need to don't need to increase their numbers just their efficiency.

I think the guy who needs to figure that out the most is Phil Greene. I'm just not convinced he ever will.

Obekpa deserves a ton of praise. Looks really fit and playing with a ton of passion & energy. Kind of excited to see him against real competition.

Alba (what Lav called him) looked like a freshman in his first game. A little nervous, a little lost, and trying his best to help out. Didn't really know where to be or when to be there but he tried to set screens and move the ball. His corner J looked smooth but didn't drop. I do see some potential for him being a step out 4. However he's going to be project this year. I didn't find it surprising that Lav played him a lot and didn't play Delarosa.

CJ- Had flashes but ultimately is a step behind mentally where he needs to be. Had a really nice pull up and a rip thru past his defender for a drive. Also a really nice pinned block but allowed too many guys to drive right past him. He's better as a post defender when he can body up and have contact.

Branch- I think he can be a great change of pace to relieve PGIV and let Harrison/Jordan go on the wings. Lav has a short leash when he makes a mistake. I wish he'd let him play through a little more.

Overall the team did well rebounding (granted it was against a small team) but the effort was there. Saw multiple guys grab and go. Everyone made free throws which was shocking.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle