Welcome Marcus LoVett

• 17 replies

paultzman

Welcome Marcus LoVett
« on: August 30, 2015, 09:15:39 AM »
@LeftyLoVett: They said I couldn't do it that's why I did it🙏🏾.... http://t.co/wNP7rc4A6o

« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 10:30:11 AM by Dave »

Re: Welcome Marcus LoVett
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 09:18:02 AM »
Matt Abdelmassih ‏@mabde33  41 minutes ago
Great to welcome our new addition this morning @LeftyLoVett His excitement being apart of @StJohnsBBall is exactly what we want #SJUBB

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 09:46:09 AM »
This is one unique person...destined to become one of the all time favorites.

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 10:50:30 AM »
"All indications are that Marcus LoVett has been cleared by the NCAA & will be eligible at St. John's this coming season. Kudos to him." -tweet from Roy Schmidt

Roy Schmidt is one of the most plugged in scribes in Chicago prep basketball. Has been critical of Lovett's chances of qualifying for a while. Sorry I don't know how to post tweets correctly haha

Update: his follow up
"I know how hard Marcus LoVett worked to meet NCAA clearinghouse standards which I admittedly thought would be impossible for him to meet."

And another:

"LoVett proved lots of doubters wrong including myself. Would be nice if others would have the class to admit same but of course they won't.'
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 10:54:00 AM by shaun1345 »

Moose

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 11:13:20 AM »
the lefty version of Marcus Hatten has arrived
Remember who broke the Slice news

QuanMan

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 11:15:26 AM »
Thanks for the plug Shaun, big day for the program!
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 11:19:54 AM »
"All indications are that Marcus LoVett has been cleared by the NCAA & will be eligible at St. John's this coming season. Kudos to him." -tweet from Roy Schmidt

Roy Schmidt is one of the most plugged in scribes in Chicago prep basketball. Has been critical of Lovett's chances of qualifying for a while. Sorry I don't know how to post tweets correctly haha

Update: his follow up
"I know how hard Marcus LoVett worked to meet NCAA clearinghouse standards which I admittedly thought would be impossible for him to meet."

And another:

"LoVett proved lots of doubters wrong including myself. Would be nice if others would have the class to admit same but of course they won't.'

thanks shaun!

Roy Schmidt ‏@prepbullseye   36m36 minutes ago
All indications are that Marcus LoVett has been cleared by the NCAA & will be eligible at St. John's this coming season. Kudos to him.

Roy Schmidt ‏@prepbullseye   35m35 minutes ago
I know how hard Marcus LoVett worked to meet NCAA clearinghouse standards which I admittedly thought would be impossible for him to meet.

Roy Schmidt ‏@prepbullseye   34m34 minutes ago
LoVett proved lots of doubters wrong including myself. Would be nice if others would have the class to admit same but of course they won't.

Zach Braziller ‏@NYPost_Brazille  9m9 minutes ago Queens, NY
Big news for #sjubb. Marcus LoVett Jr. on campus and @prepbullseye, who has impeccable sources, believes he will be full qualifier.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

boo3

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2015, 11:23:38 AM »

Your lips to god's ears.

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2015, 11:26:00 AM »
No problem guys. Was certainly my pleasure. Huge day for us! I started following Roy back when we were recruiting the cunningham kid who went to Bradley (and I believe has since transferred). He seems about as well connected as you can get and was always down on lovett qualifying, so in turn I was as well.  Now I'm ecstatic. Kudos to Roy for admitting he was wrong, very rare for journalists these days.

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2015, 11:29:09 AM »

They were actually interacting the other day on twitter I think.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Moose

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2015, 11:34:13 AM »

They were actually interacting the other day on twitter I think.

Yep.  A former SJU manager during Hatten years told him to reach out to Hatten and Hatten said he would be coming to games to watch him this year.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2015, 12:10:43 PM »
Also lets not overlook the incredible job this kid did.  Marcus has consistently been one of the better players in the country but he was overlooked by scouting services and all star games because of qualification concerns. He was passed over and not recruited by alot of the big schools.   He was doubted by pretty much everyone and as Roy even said faced almost impossible odds academically and he just quietly went to work and if all of this info is correct he beat all the odds. Huge congrats to Marcus and I can tell already this kid is gonna have a chip on his shoulder and he's gonna be one of our favorites.

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2015, 12:25:56 PM »
Guess we can LoveIt and don't have to LeaveIt!  :)

lihoop

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2015, 01:20:26 PM »
Great to hear!!! We look forward to watching you play.

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2015, 01:28:25 PM »
Think we were all holding our breath here but this is fantastic news!! Welcome aboard Marcus, really looking forward to watching this guy.

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2015, 02:28:38 PM »
Bright Lights!

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2015, 09:30:10 PM »
Also lets not overlook the incredible job this kid did.  Marcus has consistently been one of the better players in the country but he was overlooked by scouting services and all star games because of qualification concerns. He was passed over and not recruited by alot of the big schools.   He was doubted by pretty much everyone and as Roy even said faced almost impossible odds academically and he just quietly went to work and if all of this info is correct he beat all the odds. Huge congrats to Marcus and I can tell already this kid is gonna have a chip on his shoulder and he's gonna be one of our favorites.

I wouldn't say he was overlooked by any schools. Coaches knew who he was and what he could do. Marcus was no saint in HS and while he oozes potential he also makes a lot of bad plays. I'm hopeful that was just immaturity but I still hold some reservations.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

bk8664

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2015, 09:57:49 PM »

I wouldn't say he was overlooked by any schools. Coaches knew who he was and what he could do. Marcus was no saint in HS and while he oozes potential he also makes a lot of bad plays. I'm hopeful that was just immaturity but I still hold some reservations.

The "hot-dogging it" with the basketball - that we see in the highlight videos - is going to have to stop; for the most part.