What could happen...

• 373 replies

goredmen

Re: What could happen...
« Reply #100 on: March 24, 2015, 09:33:22 PM »
Not fxcking with anyone. What is the next level? Xavier is in the sweet 16 . Are they in the next level? We beat them twice.

I would definitely consider Xavier next level. 13 NCAA tournament appearances since 2001, and 5 sweet 16s since 2008. I would kill for that type of success here. I don't care who beats me in the regular season, 5 sweet 16s in 7 years is great success
good answer. I didnt know that. Not trying to mess with you either. I don't see Chris Mack being better then Lavin

That's ridiculous.  He has 40 losses the last 3 years.  I think he is great coach.  But he got to play Miss St two days after they came back down 18 from BYU and then played Georgia St.  You cannot equalize all sweet 16's.

NC St has more sweet 16's then Villanova the last 4 years despite just barely making the Tourney in 2012 and 2014 and never doing better than an 8th seed but by definition Gottfried has been more successful than Jay Wright at Villanova?  No he is not. 

So you point out one easy road to the sweet 16 and that eliminates all of their success? How about the three sweet 16s they made in the 4 years period between 09-12? Or the elite 8 they made in 2008? If Xavier isn't the next level then I don't know what is. Yes, the missed the tournament in 2013 but so did Kentucky. One down year out of 10 does not make a program bad

« Reply #101 on: March 24, 2015, 09:33:45 PM »
Bobby Hurley is a 1000% better basketball mind than Steve Lavin. That cannot be argued. His pedigree is outstanding. Is he experienced? No. Have his results so far been impressive? Yes. Would I trust him running my team? Absolutely.

His results prove nothing.  What results, he is 25-11 in a 1 bid conference?  What pedigree?  The one that has led Johnny Dawkins to 7 nondescript years at Stanford.  How about Quinn Snyder?  How about Tommy Amaker?  Cut and ran from SHU and then spent what 6 years at Michigan failing to make 1 NCAA.

Please.

Comparing bobby Hurley to the other former dukies you mentioned is silly.

The other guys you mentioned were all long time assistants under coach K whose FIRST coaching gig was in a big time conference.  None of them worked themselves up the ladder without the help of coach K so it is possible they got better jobs than they deserved solely because of coach Ks success.

Bobby worked under his brother at Wagner and URI and then his first head coaching job was at buffalo.  He rolled up his sleeves.  He's proven himself on his own.

That's the first thing that should give you more confidence that bobby will not be like them.

And for the record amaker seems like a great coach. I think if another big time job came his way that he wanted he would succeed.

First off he used the term pedigree.  That means Duke and Coach K, guy.

Secondly you made my other point.  The idea that 2 years at a 1 bid mid major gives you the warm and fuzzies as opposed to coaching directly at a major, congrats.

He has barely recruited his own players and has not graduated one of his own recruits.

Right he is so much more qualified because he coached 2 years at Buffalo then Dawkins is now at Stanford.  Right.

By the way how do you explain Amaker at Michigan after SHU?

Poison

« Reply #102 on: March 24, 2015, 09:35:11 PM »
Anyone else bothered by the fact Bobby Hurley is a whiny little bitch from Duke?

Just throwing that out there..

Wade Boggs, Dwight Gooden, David Cone, Darryl Strawberry and Roger Clemens were Yankees.
And for the record, Hurley was as tough as any Johnny I've ever seen.

« Reply #103 on: March 24, 2015, 09:37:16 PM »
Bobby Hurley is a 1000% better basketball mind than Steve Lavin. That cannot be argued. His pedigree is outstanding. Is he experienced? No. Have his results so far been impressive? Yes. Would I trust him running my team? Absolutely.

BTW-I have the post saved where after Robert Morris nearly beat Villanova (remember Nova got a questionable call) in a 2/15 game in 2010 you and others were high on him.  SJU job was open during the 2010 Tourney.  You and others were certainly enamored with Rice and how good he had done at RMU.

Tell me what was his record after 3 years at RU?  Tell me again how did his time at RU end?  What were the circumstances?

But he did take RMU to the brink of a 1st round upset over Jay Wright.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 09:38:46 PM by fordham96 »

« Reply #104 on: March 24, 2015, 09:41:10 PM »
@fordham96 is bringing his fact checker hard tonight.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #105 on: March 24, 2015, 09:43:48 PM »
Let me repeat this for everyone to understand.  Many of the excuses you make for other coaches are not excuses you would make for a coach at SJU.

Two reasons for that: 1)You have already decided that you want your current coach out so who cares if you are not consistent and 2)You are not a fan of those other schools so it is very easy for you to make excuses for THOSE coaches when in fact you would NEVER afford the same for your current coach.

It is not fair.

He sounds like realfan.

lmao  There ya go Fordham, we both are someone else (me being Joe3, and you being realfan.).
Just laugh

Wonder how many other times Dinkins called posters on here other posters   20+ over the years?

Common sense should've told you that I wasn't talking about fordham.

Guilty conscience speaking, huh, nitwit?

Name calling now? I see, you got the mentality of a kid. Aren't you an adult?  Pretty sad, but you just be you.

I call it (you) how I see it.   

That's all you do. Critique posters.

I'd tell you the same in person.

Watch out Baldi, he's the killer clown, be careful

So cute in that lil hat

« Reply #106 on: March 24, 2015, 09:45:09 PM »

BTW-I have the post saved where after Robert Morris nearly beat Villanova (remember Nova got a questionable call) in a 2/15 game in 2010 you and others were high on him.  SJU job was open during the 2010 Tourney.  You and others were certainly enamored with Rice and how good he had done at RMU.

Tell me what was his record after 3 years at RU?  Tell me again how did his time at RU end?  What were the circumstances?

And at the time I thought that was a great hire for Rutgers. To say it wasn't is crazy. Obviously it doesn't always work. There is always risk involved. Unless you are hiring a handful of coaches (Izzo, Billy D, Pitino etc.)

boo3

« Reply #107 on: March 24, 2015, 09:46:13 PM »
Anyone else bothered by the fact Bobby Hurley is a whiny little bitch from Duke?

Wade Boggs, Dwight Gooden, David Cone, Darryl Strawberry and Roger Clemens were Yankees.

I hate the Yankees.. So your point makes no sense..  And I was half joking, kind of

Tha Kid

« Reply #108 on: March 24, 2015, 09:46:50 PM »

His results prove nothing.  What results, he is 25-11 in a 1 bid conference?  What pedigree?  The one that has led Johnny Dawkins to 7 nondescript years at Stanford.  How about Quinn Snyder?  How about Tommy Amaker?  Cut and ran from SHU and then spent what 6 years at Michigan failing to make 1 NCAA.

Please.

The other guys you mentioned were all long time assistants under coach K whose FIRST coaching gig was in a big time conference.  None of them worked themselves up the ladder without the help of coach K so it is possible they got better jobs than they deserved solely because of coach Ks success.

Bobby worked under his brother at Wagner and URI and then his first head coaching job was at buffalo.  He rolled up his sleeves.  He's proven himself on his own.

That's the first thing that should give you more confidence that bobby will not be like them.

And for the record amaker seems like a great coach. I think if another big time job came his way that he wanted he would succeed.

Secondly you made my other point.  The idea that 2 years at a 1 bid mid major gives you the warm and fuzzies as opposed to coaching directly at a major, congrats.

He has barely recruited his own players and has not graduated one of his own recruits.

Right he is so much more qualified because he coached 2 years at Buffalo then Dawkins is now at Stanford.  Right.

It boggles my mind when seemingly intelligent people who have seen the Amazing job amaker has done at Harvard somehow think Michigan proves he can't hack it.

First, amaker took over a terrible team.  Second, in amakers second year there, Michigan self imposed probation and sanctions due to the Ed Martin scandal. Then the NCAA doubled those penalties so it appeared 2003-04 would be no playoffs either. It was later overturned.  How easy do you think recruiting was during that time?  Even the posters who were the biggest anti norm guys gave him a bit of a break his first few years.  Amaker didn't know he was going to be coaching at a school w all those sanctions and probation.  It happened in year 2.  If anyone deserves a reprieve on their head coaching stint at a major school it's tommy amaker and Michigan. Come on, "guy".

Next, I didn't realize the term pedigree meant coach K.  Wait it doesn't, and in this instance it would be referring to his father, his brother, and coach K. And whatever he meant it, Hurley was never an assistant at Duke like the guys you mentioned.  You know who else wasnt an assistant at Duke before coaching? Current Duke assiatant Jeff Capel who succeeded at VCU and then has an elite 8 run at Oklahoma.  Why'd you leave him out?  He also has the pedigree from his own father and brother. If anyone would be a good Hurley comparison from Duke its him.

Finally I never said bobby Hurley is more qualified than Johnny Dawkins.  If you are looking for a respectable mediocre coach who will get you to a sweet 16/ncaa once every five years Johnny is your guy. Not too dissimilar from coach lavin.

Bobby is all about projecting potential.  Same with Danny.  Guys like lavin and Dawkins have already proven their ceiling isn't annual ncaa appearances and extremely well coached teams. 

Do you really not get the difference?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 09:48:45 PM by Tha Kid »
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #109 on: March 24, 2015, 09:46:52 PM »
Thanks Dave. 

Again I am not saying the Hurley's or others could not succeed at the next level.  They may.  But the idea that you guys are convinced on very thin resumes and with little evidence other than a "close loss" is just mind boggling.  And the certainty of which you speak is equally perplexing.

BTW-How many wins does Bobby Hurley have at Buffalo over top 100 teams in two years?  Seriously, how many?

« Reply #110 on: March 24, 2015, 09:47:29 PM »
Let me repeat this for everyone to understand.  Many of the excuses you make for other coaches are not excuses you would make for a coach at SJU.

Two reasons for that: 1)You have already decided that you want your current coach out so who cares if you are not consistent and 2)You are not a fan of those other schools so it is very easy for you to make excuses for THOSE coaches when in fact you would NEVER afford the same for your current coach.

It is not fair.

He sounds like realfan.

lmao  There ya go Fordham, we both are someone else (me being Joe3, and you being realfan.).
Just laugh

Wonder how many other times Dinkins called posters on here other posters   20+ over the years?

Common sense should've told you that I wasn't talking about fordham.

Guilty conscience speaking, huh, nitwit?

Name calling now? I see, you got the mentality of a kid. Aren't you an adult?  Pretty sad, but you just be you.

I call it (you) how I see it.   

That's all you do. Critique posters.

I'd tell you the same in person.

Watch out Baldi, he's the killer clown, be careful

So cute in that lil hat

lmfao, yeah you seen the picture in that bar
uhhhhhhhhhh duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh    hahahaha   oh lordy

« Reply #111 on: March 24, 2015, 09:48:05 PM »

Please.

It boggles my mind when seemingly intelligent people who have seen the Amazing job amaker has done at Harvard somehow think Michigan proves he can't hack it.

First, amaker took over a terrible team.  Second, in amakers second year there, Michigan self imposed probation and sanctions due to the Ed Martin scandal. Then the NCAA doubled those penalties so it appeared 2003-04 would be no playoffs either. It was later overturned.  How easy do you think recruiting was during that time?  Even the posters who were the biggest anti norm guys gave him a bit of a break his first few years.  Amaker didn't know he was going to be coaching at a school w all those sanctions and probation.  It happened in year 2.  If anyone deserves a reprieve on their head coaching stint at a major school it's tommy amaker and Michigan. Come on, "guy".

Next, I didn't realize the term pedigree meant coach K.  Wait it doesn't, and in this instance it would be referring to his father, his brother, and coach K. And whatever he meant it, Hurley was never an assistant at Duke like the guys you mentioned.  You know who else wasnt an assistant at Duke before coaching? Current Duke assiatant Jeff Capel who succeeded at VCU and then has an elite 8 run at Oklahoma.  Why'd you leave him out?  He also has the pedigree from his own father and brother. If anyone would be a good Hurley comparison from Duke its him.

Finally I never said bobby Hurley is more qualified than Johnny Dawkins.  If you are looking for a respectable mediocre coach who will get you to a sweet 16/ncaa once every five years Johnny is your guy. Not too dissimilar from coach lavin.

Bobby is all about projecting potential.  Same with Danny.  Guys like lavin and Dawkins have already proven their ceiling isn't annual ncaa appearances and extremely well coaches teams. 

Are you serious?  OMG.

Amaker at Harvard where he brings in top 50-75 talent never seen before in the Ivy...

I mean seriously...guy..no I can't anymore.

Pete88

« Reply #112 on: March 24, 2015, 09:50:20 PM »

And at the time I thought that was a great hire for Rutgers. To say it wasn't is crazy. Obviously it doesn't always work. There is always risk involved. Unless you are hiring a handful of coaches (Izzo, Billy D, Pitino etc.)

But that is the ultimate point...  Unless you hire a proven commodity, statistics prove that hiring a Bobby Hurley, or Mike Rice, or Bobby Gonzalez, or whomever fail many more times then they succeed.   Yet, many talk as if any of these guys are head and shoulders better than Lavin and will achieve better results.  Good luck

« Reply #113 on: March 24, 2015, 09:50:35 PM »

No crazy is what he is and was.  And you made my point.  You think anyone with a decent low-mid major record is worthwhile.

The point is you have not learned your lesson.  He was replacing a joke of a coach, Fred Hill.  Whose record was worse than Norm's and Norm took over a disaster.  And now you prescribe these coaches for someone who actually has done something at SJU.

That is my point.

« Reply #114 on: March 24, 2015, 09:51:36 PM »

But that is the ultimate point...  Unless you hire a proven commodity, statistics prove that hiring a Bobby Hurley, or Mike Rice, or Bobby Gonzalez, or whomever fail many more times then they succeed.   Yet, many talk as if any of these guys are head and shoulders better than Lavin and will achieve better results.  Good luck

BINGO...DING DING DING DING...

Winner winner Chicken Dinner!!!

« Reply #115 on: March 24, 2015, 09:52:59 PM »
@Tha Kid I wouldn't put Bobby and Danny in the same category. Bobby still has a lot to prove.

Tha Kid

« Reply #116 on: March 24, 2015, 09:53:03 PM »

Please.

Bobby is all about projecting potential.  Same with Danny.  Guys like lavin and Dawkins have already proven their ceiling isn't annual ncaa appearances and extremely well coaches teams. 

Are you serious?  OMG.

Amaker at Harvard where he brings in top 50-75 talent never seen before in the Ivy...

I mean seriously...guy..no I can't anymore.

you are makin my point for me rather than the other way around.  Tommy amaker is recruiting top 50-75 talent to Harvard. Harvard!  And he has WON 2 first round games with Harvard.  Harvard!  In the NCAAs!

That's one more ncaa win than St. John's has in the last 16 seasons. 

But yeah tommy is a joke.

And of course you have no comment on anything else.  When people disagree w you on the board and make solid points rather than concede anything or make intelligent points back, you pick whatever you think is their worst argument and harp on that and then like a teenage girl say "OMG....I can't anymore"

You seem like you know basketball.  You really can't engage in respectful intelligent discussion that disagrees with you?

"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #117 on: March 24, 2015, 09:53:52 PM »
BTW-I am surprised no one has brought up Mike Lonergan (if they did I missed it).

I don't love him but his turnaround at GW is at least on par with Hurley at URI.  Back to back 20 win seasons and NCAA and NIT last 2 years.

« Reply #118 on: March 24, 2015, 09:54:45 PM »
Also for the record I think a lot of the former Duke players make really good coaches.

Poison

« Reply #119 on: March 24, 2015, 09:55:56 PM »

I hate the Yankees.. So your point makes no sense..  And I was half joking, kind of

You're allowed to hate them. If I was Mets fan, I'd hate them too. When he's on another team, he's an a-hole. When he's on your team, he's your a-hole.