What could happen...

• 373 replies

SJU79

Re: What could happen...
« Reply #140 on: March 24, 2015, 10:12:08 PM »
Steve M nor Bobby Hurley will be not be the next coach nor will Amaker(if for no other  reason than his wife)

« Reply #141 on: March 24, 2015, 10:13:04 PM »
Bobby Hurley is a 1000% better basketball mind than Steve Lavin. That cannot be argued. His pedigree is outstanding. Is he experienced? No. Have his results so far been impressive? Yes. Would I trust him running my team? Absolutely.

BTW-I have the post saved where after Robert Morris nearly beat Villanova (remember Nova got a questionable call) in a 2/15 game in 2010 you and others were high on him.  SJU job was open during the 2010 Tourney.  You and others were certainly enamored with Rice and how good he had done at RMU.

Tell me what was his record after 3 years at RU?  Tell me again how did his time at RU end?  What were the circumstances?

But he did take RMU to the brink of a 1st round upset over Jay Wright.

And at the time I thought that was a great hire for Rutgers. To say it wasn't is crazy. Obviously it doesn't always work. There is always risk involved. Unless you are hiring a handful of coaches (Izzo, Billy D, Pitino etc.)

No crazy is what he is and was.  And you made my point.  You think anyone with a decent low-mid major record is worthwhile.

The point is you have not learned your lesson.  He was replacing a joke of a coach, Fred Hill.  Whose record was worse than Norm's and Norm took over a disaster.  And now you prescribe these coaches for someone who actually has done something at SJU.

That is my point.

But that is the pool. You are looking for a coach that has success at the mid-major level and trying to project. SJU is a good fit for either Hurley. I think Bobby has a bigger appeal to casual basketball fans. What established winning high major coach is coming here?  And to be honest, I wouldn't be thrilled with a lot of the other choices like Masiello or Cluess. But either could have a chance to be successful.

But my original point is I rather trust Bobby Hurley running my team than Steve Lavin. It's really not even close.

My point is that is an opinion based on NOTHING but your disappointment in Lavin.  Anyone can say that when there are no consequences to what you say or do as evidenced by your Mike Rice proclamation.

My opinion is that I think Mike Krzyzewski is overrated. So what.

Did you really just say the following two things in the last five minutes;

"Anyone who thinks tommy amaker is a good basketball coach cannot be a serious person" and

"Coach K is overrated"

can you 1) tell me who are your top 5 coaches in college basketball - which of course is not going to include the only living person with 4 ncaa titles and 2) tell me what about steve lavin makes you think he is a good coach?

I am compiling the Fordham greatest hits right now and would love additional quotes while you are still on tequila and Ambien.

You don't get sarcasm do you?  That was sarcasm.  My point is meaningless assertions with no evidence mean nothing.

And yes I believe Lavin is a better coach than Amaker.  Put it to you another way, give Lavin 6 years at Michigan and he would squeeze out a few NCAA bids.  Take that to the bank.

Wods317

« Reply #142 on: March 24, 2015, 10:13:08 PM »
Decision needs to made now. Like it or not the rumors of the leadership meeting have gotten out and these rumors are not good for anyone. If they want to bring Lavin back or not they need to make the decision. I appreciate the fact finding and not rushing but the time has come for a decision.

« Reply #143 on: March 24, 2015, 10:13:46 PM »
BTW-I am surprised no one has brought up Mike Lonergan (if they did I missed it).

I don't love him but his turnaround at GW is at least on par with Hurley at URI.  Back to back 20 win seasons and NCAA and NIT last 2 years.

The expectation will be that Hurley will recruit NY because of his family ties, and that he'll also recruit nationally because of his family ties, and because of the name he made for himself. This is a player who was very talented, but he is also a player who has spent his entire life under the wing of great coaching.

I think that is a guy you can take a chance on after two strong years at a school that's accomplished nothing before he arrived.

Accomplished nothing?  Jim Baron's last 5 years at URI included 4 20 win seasons and 3 NIT appearances.  The last year was a 7 win year that got him fired.

And you guys all love Mike Vaccaro, Vac graduated from St. Bonaventure and knew Baron.  Go read some of his articles the last 2 years of the Norm regime.  Guy was promoting Baron for SJU as a New York guy.

Bobby

What?

Tha Kid

« Reply #144 on: March 24, 2015, 10:13:52 PM »
Steve M nor Bobby Hurley will be not be the next coach nor will Amaker(if for no other  reason than his wife)

Interesting why not Bobby?

The amaker stuff was all tangential and relating to evaluating Bobby as a potential head coach.  Don't think any of us assumes tommy would leave Harvard for here (or really anywhere except maybe Duke).
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #145 on: March 24, 2015, 10:14:24 PM »
Bobby Hurley is a 1000% better basketball mind than Steve Lavin. That cannot be argued. His pedigree is outstanding. Is he experienced? No. Have his results so far been impressive? Yes. Would I trust him running my team? Absolutely.

BTW-I have the post saved where after Robert Morris nearly beat Villanova (remember Nova got a questionable call) in a 2/15 game in 2010 you and others were high on him.  SJU job was open during the 2010 Tourney.  You and others were certainly enamored with Rice and how good he had done at RMU.

Tell me what was his record after 3 years at RU?  Tell me again how did his time at RU end?  What were the circumstances?

And at the time I thought that was a great hire for Rutgers. To say it wasn't is crazy. Obviously it doesn't always work. There is always risk involved. Unless you are hiring a handful of coaches (Izzo, Billy D, Pitino etc.)

No crazy is what he is and was.  And you made my point.  You think anyone with a decent low-mid major record is worthwhile.

The point is you have not learned your lesson.  He was replacing a joke of a coach, Fred Hill.  Whose record was worse than Norm's and Norm took over a disaster.  And now you prescribe these coaches for someone who actually has done something at SJU.

That is my point.

But that is the pool. You are looking for a coach that has success at the mid-major level and trying to project. SJU is a good fit for either Hurley. I think Bobby has a bigger appeal to casual basketball fans. What established winning high major coach is coming here?  And to be honest, I wouldn't be thrilled with a lot of the other choices like Masiello or Cluess. But either could have a chance to be successful.

But my original point is I rather trust Bobby Hurley running my team than Steve Lavin. It's really not even close.

What makes you trust Bobby Hurley?

How many Buffalo games you watch this year?

Not many. Did see the KY game. They hung tough. BTW, Buffalo was picked pre-season very low in the MAC. So it wasn't like they brought back a full team. Hurley lost his best player Jevon McRae who avg. about 18 a game as a senior. So you lose your best player, and still make the NCAA picked very low pre-season in your conference. That isn't bad coaching.

Why do I trust Hurley? I think you can infer.

That was in December.  If they played Kentucky now they would lose by 50 and it wouldn't prove anything more than the close game back in December.  By the way Kentucky trailed for most of the game in December against Yale, you want Yale's HC at SJU?  Yes or no?

So KY would beat them by 50. So who cares? They would beat a lot of teams by 50.  Hurley would probably watch tape and get to work coaching his players. Lavin would lose by 30 and then say well if we had Moe Harkless and Amir Garrett we would have a close game. Or blame it on an injury.

C'mon really?

« Reply #146 on: March 24, 2015, 10:15:19 PM »
Decision needs to made now. Like it or not the rumors of the leadership meeting have gotten out and these rumors are not good for anyone. If they want to bring Lavin back or not they need to make the decision. I appreciate the fact finding and not rushing but the time has come for a decision.

We can all agree on that.  Need to make a decision NOW one way or the other.

Tha Kid

« Reply #147 on: March 24, 2015, 10:16:03 PM »

That is my point.

My point is that is an opinion based on NOTHING but your disappointment in Lavin.  Anyone can say that when there are no consequences to what you say or do as evidenced by your Mike Rice proclamation.

"Anyone who thinks tommy amaker is a good basketball coach cannot be a serious person" and

"Coach K is overrated"

can you 1) tell me who are your top 5 coaches in college basketball - which of course is not going to include the only living person with 4 ncaa titles and 2) tell me what about steve lavin makes you think he is a good coach?

I am compiling the Fordham greatest hits right now and would love additional quotes while you are still on tequila and Ambien.

You don't get sarcasm do you?  That was sarcasm.  My point is meaningless assertions with no evidence mean nothing.

And yes I believe Lavin is a better coach than Amaker.  Put it to you another way, give Lavin 6 years at Michigan and he would squeeze out a few NCAA bids.  Take that to the bank.

You sticking him with a major scandal and sanctions in the middle of it too?

Amaker made the dance at seton hall.  It's not like amaker never did anything anywhere except Harvard.

You really can't see how Michigan could have been very difficult at that time? I am sure some of it is tommys fault.  But some guys learn from their mistakes and some guys never learn. I'd wager tommy has learned from the Michigan experience.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #148 on: March 24, 2015, 10:17:57 PM »

That is my point.

What makes you trust Bobby Hurley?

How many Buffalo games you watch this year?

Not many. Did see the KY game. They hung tough. BTW, Buffalo was picked pre-season very low in the MAC. So it wasn't like they brought back a full team. Hurley lost his best player Jevon McRae who avg. about 18 a game as a senior. So you lose your best player, and still make the NCAA picked very low pre-season in your conference. That isn't bad coaching.

Why do I trust Hurley? I think you can infer.

That was in December.  If they played Kentucky now they would lose by 50 and it wouldn't prove anything more than the close game back in December.  By the way Kentucky trailed for most of the game in December against Yale, you want Yale's HC at SJU?  Yes or no?

So KY would beat them by 50. So who cares? They would beat a lot of teams by 50.  Hurley would probably watch tape and get to work coaching his players. Lavin would lose by 30 and then say well if we had Moe Harkless and Amir Garrett we would have a close game. Or blame it on an injury.

C'mon really?

What?  OMG.  So as long as a team early in the year in a meaningless game can come within a few points of UK that means something yet when later in the year when they are established they lose by 50 the earlier game means more.  Whatever.

Did you watch the Yale/UK game or not?  Do you want Coach Jones at SJU or not?  If you don't your point is meaningless again.

« Reply #149 on: March 24, 2015, 10:18:48 PM »

That is my point.

"Coach K is overrated"

You sticking him with a major scandal and sanctions in the middle of it too?

Amaker made the dance at seton hall.  It's not like amaker never did anything anywhere except Harvard.

You really can't see how Michigan could have been very difficult at that time? I am sure some of it is tommys fault.  But some guys learn from their mistakes and some guys never learn. I'd wager tommy has learned from the Michigan experience.

100% he would in year 3, 4 would have had them in the NCAA's.  Not hard and it would not prove he is a great coach.

Poison

« Reply #150 on: March 24, 2015, 10:19:37 PM »
BTW-I am surprised no one has brought up Mike Lonergan (if they did I missed it).

I don't love him but his turnaround at GW is at least on par with Hurley at URI.  Back to back 20 win seasons and NCAA and NIT last 2 years.

The expectation will be that Hurley will recruit NY because of his family ties, and that he'll also recruit nationally because of his family ties, and because of the name he made for himself. This is a player who was very talented, but he is also a player who has spent his entire life under the wing of great coaching.

I think that is a guy you can take a chance on after two strong years at a school that's accomplished nothing before he arrived.

Accomplished nothing?  Jim Baron's last 5 years at URI included 4 20 win seasons and 3 NIT appearances.  The last year was a 7 win year that got him fired.

And you guys all love Mike Vaccaro, Vac graduated from St. Bonaventure and knew Baron.  Go read some of his articles the last 2 years of the Norm regime.  Guy was promoting Baron for SJU as a New York guy.

I don't even know what you're talking about. I'm talking about Bobby Hurley. Mike Vaccaro? He doesn't need to tell that Lavin sucks. I can see for myself that he sucks. He's been here's for 5 March post seasons. He's blown them all-big time. Time to change the record.

« Reply #151 on: March 24, 2015, 10:23:00 PM »

Why is the meetings taking place this weekend or on Monday. It should have started yesterday, and go through the week if must.
It's typical sju to take their sweet time.
If they know that they want to go in a new direction, then why not do it asap?

jr49

« Reply #152 on: March 24, 2015, 10:25:34 PM »
Not fxcking with anyone. What is the next level? Xavier is in the sweet 16 . Are they in the next level? We beat them twice.

I would definitely consider Xavier next level. 13 NCAA tournament appearances since 2001, and 5 sweet 16s since 2008. I would kill for that type of success here. I don't care who beats me in the regular season, 5 sweet 16s in 7 years is great success
The three teams the 7 team BE used to expand all have better programs then SJU. In past BE expansions most of the team's added were better then SJU. Are we on the way to becoming a bottom tier regular? Just asking, and I sure hope not. Can anyone say why Steve let this team run down and is still waiting for late possible recruits to break his way?

desco80

« Reply #153 on: March 24, 2015, 10:29:36 PM »
The school needs to hire the candidate with the right skills and attributes, not the one with the right pedigree.   And I can be guilty of making that same mistake, but they need to hire the smartest most articulate coach they interview.   To some degree it shouldn't matter if he is coaching stony brook or the Chicago bulls.

Coach k didn't have an overwhelming resume when Duke hired him from Army.
We shouldn't make the mistake of hiring someone just because they come from a good coaching tree at Kansas or have experience at UCLA.

look at the actual coach himself, and his qualities, not just his resume on paper
is he smart?
can he recruit?
is he honest? 
Can he communicate well with recruits and the media?

I don't want hurley or Mullin just because they were great players, or Mas just because he's a Pitino disciple or because his team made 2 ncaas.
who is the best coach?   Not who checks off the most boxes on some checklist.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 10:30:16 PM by desco80 »

« Reply #154 on: March 24, 2015, 10:31:30 PM »
So again with this 1 time game where they ALMOST win is now definitive of a can't miss.

Well what about a coach who actually won as a 12 seed (Bobby Gonzalez)?  What about a coach who took a MAAC team to the Tourney as a 9 seed (McCaffrey)?

Are you lining up Hall of Fame votes for those guys?

Give me a break with this 1 game nonsense.  Remember last year Masiello nearly beat the defending NC #4 seed Louisville and then he got hired by USF before that fell thru.  USF is arguably the WORST high major job in America, if you consider them high major.  And this year he came within 10 points of beating Hampton in a play in game which proves exactly what? ???

What if under a 1 game scenario Buffalo hired Mike Krzyzewski.  And that one game was the NCAA Tourney game against WVU.  And he almost beat them.

Does that mean Bobby Hurley is as a good a coach as Mike Krzyzewski and if given the opportunity with 30+ years at Duke he would win 1000 games?

No it doesn't meant that at all.  It is pure nonsense.
Straight up...

You're in the office with the AD and Prez...

They tell you "we will pick whoever you want among Lavin, Hurley 1 & 2, and Masiello.  Years 1-2 do not matter, but at the end of year 10 in 2025, we want to exceed where we've been the past 35 years for any given 10 year period."

Who do you choose, taking into account Lavin is young enough to go another 10 years?

Honestly I would take Lavin.

I would.

BTW-Here is some experience.  If you came to me 11 years ago or 9 years ago and said in 10 years who would you rather have, Norm Roberts or Bobby Gonzalez?

I would have said Bobby in a heartbeat.  No questions asked.  Now, no way.  Not to suggest Norm was Bobby Knight but...

Here's the thing fordham, I think Lavin is clearly most proven of them.  If you want 2-3 NCAA tourney bids every 5-6 years, occasional stud recruits and don't mind a horribly coached team in the process, lavin is your guy.

However, he has proven, I believe, that he is never going to be any better than that.  And that is not good enough.  And whether its true or not, he's given an appearance that he has taken recruiting season's off before.  That just doesn't cut it as coach of st. john's unless you are bringing in hoards of MCDAAs.  How many of those has he brought in again?  Same amount as Norm and less than every other coach in history here? Yeah that's right.
I was thinking about the Peter principle.  In looking at the Harrick tree, it seems obvious that Gottfried and Lavin were intended to be top assistant, killer recruiters. Romar a little bit less so, but man, Harrick had dudes that could recruit their As off as assistants. 

« Reply #155 on: March 24, 2015, 10:34:25 PM »
@Tha Kid I wouldn't put Bobby and Danny in the same category. Bobby still has a lot to prove.
What would you think about a 3 year extension (making sure there's the chance to coach any new recruits this year for all 4 years), but only has a one year buyout the entire contract life?  He would have to have the guts to have confidence in his ability to get it done. Essentially, ST. John's would then only risk what they risk now. Each side gives a little - we give time, Lavin gives up financial leverage.  ;D

In that scenario, we give the Hurleys another year to see how it goes. If they do great, or some other candidate pops up, we could cut bait without more financial harm if Lavin recruiting doesn't pan out and we tank, and not feel like we lost out on a candidate because we're tied into an extension with high buyout.

If it's me, that's how I'm negotiating for St. John's.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 10:40:33 PM by bball purist »

« Reply #156 on: March 24, 2015, 10:38:33 PM »
This thread has the potential to surpass the Kyle Anderson thread before an annnouncement is actually made.

« Reply #157 on: March 24, 2015, 10:41:11 PM »
This thread has the potential to surpass the Kyle Anderson thread before an annnouncement is actually made.
I was thinking about the thread blowing up too. I got something to eat, came back and boom.

goredmen

« Reply #158 on: March 24, 2015, 11:14:20 PM »
Serious question. If some people here don't want to fire Lavin for Hurley, Masiello etc. that essentially means Lavin is going to be the coach for life if it was up to them, right? I mean we are never going to get the sure thing like Shaka or Marshall or whoever at SJU. The next coaching hire, regardless of when it is made, will be a coach that will at least be somewhat of a question mark. If we don't fire Lavin now for one of these guys, when do we fire him for an unknown commodity?

« Reply #159 on: March 24, 2015, 11:19:02 PM »
Serious question. If some people here don't want to fire Lavin for Hurley, Masiello etc. that essentially means Lavin is going to be the coach for life if it was up to them, right? I mean we are never going to get the sure thing like Shaka or Marshall or whoever at SJU. The next coaching hire, regardless of when it is made, will be a coach that will at least be somewhat of a question mark. If we don't fire Lavin now for one of these guys, when do we fire him for an unknown commodity?
Next year if he only gets one year guarantee or less on a buyout - I wouldn't care if it's a 3-5 extension at that point - he shouldn't have more security than looking for a new job for a year if he screws this all up.

Crucial to an extension if it occurs imho
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 11:20:00 PM by bball purist »