What could happen...

• 373 replies
Re: What could happen...
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2015, 05:03:46 PM »
Not sure on timetable.

Also for Slice if the money was right its better situation than UK. Less pressure, longer leash.
Slice would be in super beast mode in the Tri-state even more than he is now (if it's possible).

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2015, 05:06:24 PM »
Not sure on timetable.

Also for Slice if the money was right its better situation than UK. Less pressure, longer leash.

Yes but so was Pitt and he left Jamie Dixon and a familar situation for UK.

I can't claim to know the reasons behind his every move. I'm assuming money + security was better at UK than at Pitt.
When Rohrssen joined UK in May, Kenny Payne got bumped to 500k, john Robic bumped up to Rohrssen's starting salary of 375k.  Antigua was making 275k.

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/kentucky/2014/05/07/kentucky-bumps-pay-basketball-assistants-payne-robic/8800591/
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 05:06:42 PM by bball purist »

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2015, 05:10:26 PM »
Mullin will be there in 2-3 years, if that's who the admin eventually wants.  so with that in mind, extend Lavin.

TONYD3

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2015, 05:13:32 PM »
IMO If Bobby Hurley is attainable he has to be on the SJU sidelines starting next season. If we miss out on the Bobby Hurley boat because we extend Lavin or hire Mullin this program deserves the mediocrity it will endure for the next decade
If Christian Laetner didn't hit a buzzer beater 20 years ago, who should we hire?

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2015, 05:21:19 PM »
IMO If Bobby Hurley is attainable he has to be on the SJU sidelines starting next season. If we miss out on the Bobby Hurley boat because we extend Lavin or hire Mullin this program deserves the mediocrity it will endure for the next decade
If Christian Laetner didn't hit a buzzer beater 20 years ago, who should we hire?
Bobby Hurley or Danny Hurley.  If we choose Bobby, is it because Bobby went to Duke and was a better player than Danny? Would we look to Danny first if he were better in his playing days?  Your question assumes Bobby will be chosen over Danny because of the shot, correct? Kind of odd assumption.

« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2015, 05:39:39 PM »
for next year's sake (and the year after that), I hope they just make a decision quickly. 

Poison

« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2015, 06:08:00 PM »

Do you think Hurley's fame is tied to that? He's still one of the best point guard I've seen in the game. At any level. His brother is Jared Sina.

redslope

« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2015, 06:13:35 PM »
for next year's sake (and the year after that), I hope they just make a decision quickly. 
Agree--Lavin first of all does not need to be left twisting in the wind because he has raised the school's profile, regardless of which side you are on; second, you to do this when you get the most press coverage (Tuesday or Wednesday would get next day's back page and not compete with NCAA tournament), third if change, we need as much time as possible to recruit before signing day

Tha Kid

« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2015, 06:14:07 PM »

You realize that shot was during the tournament when Hurley was already a defending national champ right?  And was picked #7 in the draft after.  Oh yeah and he is STILL the NCAA leader in assists all time.

Let me guess next - grant hill wouldn't have been the sprite spokesman except for that shot too?

People hype mas and Manhattan - well Bobbys buffalo was a 12 seed just 2 years in.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 06:16:49 PM by Tha Kid »
"I drink and I know things"

hnk

« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2015, 06:20:02 PM »
Anyone have a guess what Seth Greenberg makes at ESPN?

TONYD3

« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2015, 06:23:10 PM »
In my opinion, Without that shot and Laetner being perfect beating UNLV Duke isn't Duke. Coach K doesn't coach the USA team and Hurley is remembered as the little white PG who got abused by Anderson Hunt. I am not against Bobby Hurley but 2 years in the MAC. Not a great resume. Would rather hire him next year, so he can come in a more stable environment. Bobby Hurley may be a great coach paying him plus Lavin next year and losing 20 games doesnt make a whole lot of sense to me.

Tha Kid

« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2015, 06:28:36 PM »
In my opinion, Without that shot and Laetner being perfect beating UNLV Duke isn't Duke. Coach K doesn't coach the USA team and Hurley is remembered as the little white PG who got abused by Anderson Hunt. I am not against Bobby Hurley but 2 years in the MAC. Not a great resume. Would rather hire him next year, so he can come in a more stable environment. Bobby Hurley may be a great coach paying him plus Lavin next year and losing 20 games doesnt make a whole lot of sense to me.

You do realize the "shot" was against Kentucky in year two of dukes repeat national title seasons.  In the elite 8.

Duke beat undefeated UNLV in 1991 in the final four.

Also hurleys 3 pointer while Duke was down 5 w 2 mins left against UNLV is what coach k refers to as the biggest shot he's witnessed in his career.  Sure there is some hyperbole there but to act like Hurley was made by laettner is completely ignorant.

« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2015, 06:36:50 PM »
What does it matter at all how good of a PLAYER he was? There is an extensive list of good to great college players who were awful coaches.......

Johnny23

« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2015, 06:39:56 PM »

And without Kareem, UCLA never becomes UCLA. Talk about throwing out hypotheticals that have no basis in reality.

Now back to reality. Hurley and Duke's back to back title legacy is one of the most memorable periods in the modern game.

2 years in the MAC and already an NCAA berth. He lead them to their first NCAA appearance in the school's history. Pretty damn impressive. If you put Lavin in the MAC, he'd be relegated to total anonymity and never be in the Dance.

Hurley would be a vast upgrade over Lavin. It's not like the team's ever getting any better under Lavin than what we saw this year. This year was Lavin's peak. SJU may have to take a step back with Hurley because of the roster depletion next year. However long term Hurley can build a program that gets better and more talented every year, unlike Lavin.

TONYD3

« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2015, 06:40:00 PM »
I like Bobby Hurley. I was not trying to show ignorance. What I am trying to say is his 3 point shot that everyone has seen should have little affect on him becoming the next St. Johns coach. If he was the same player, went to clemson, had a different father, and had the same coaching resume would we even be considered for this job? He is not only being considered he as looked on as a slam dunk hire? If he was hired I wouldn't complain. I don't think it would be the smart move at the present time under the present circumstances.

hnk

« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2015, 06:41:19 PM »
Stay or leave this is being handled terribly by the administration....if not already a massive mess it will be within 48 hours.

Seems like no one knows what they are doing. 

My guess is someone leaked to try to sabotage Coach Lavin before a decision was made....reporter didn't want to get beaten....wrote a carefully couched piece that's been distorted.

One way or the other this needs to get cleaned up pronto.

Tha Kid

« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2015, 06:46:29 PM »
I like Bobby Hurley. I was not trying to show ignorance. What I am trying to say is his 3 point shot that everyone has seen should have little affect on him becoming the next St. Johns coach. If he was the same player, went to clemson, had a different father, and had the same coaching resume would we even be considered for this job? He is not only being considered he as looked on as a slam dunk hire? If he was hired I wouldn't complain. I don't think it would be the smart move at the present time under the present circumstances.

1.  Kids he is recruiting can YouTube him as a player and say Damn coach can play.  That could make the difference in a close recruiting battle whether it should or not.

2.  Fathers and families can be (but of course do not have to be) a glimpse or a window into what one may be like.  It certainly shows his upbringing and when hiring an up and comer who you are projecting will do well at a higher level, definitely can provide you with more of a level of comfort or a better educated guess at future success   It matters.

3.  He was coached by one of the greatest high school coaches of all time.  Then by one of the greatest college coaches of all time.  It matters.

4.  He hasn't just been coaching for two years.  He put in his time as an assistant under his brother both at Wagner and URI where they succeeded.

His background matters.  To pretend he went to Clemson and is not a Hurley is pointless and counterproductive.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 08:05:12 PM by Tha Kid »

SJU79

« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2015, 06:47:50 PM »
Slice would work under Chris is a second. No question. He would not leave for Hurley. Part of his past was angling himself to be a HC…

« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2015, 06:48:55 PM »

1.  Kids he is recruiting can YouTube him as a player and say Damn coach can play.  That could make the difference in a close recruiting battle whether it should or not.

2.  Fathers and families can be (but of course do not have to be) a glimpse or a window into what one may be like.  It certainly shows his upbringing and when hiring an up and comer who you are projecting will do well at a higher level, definitely can provide you with more of a level of comfort or a better educated guess at future success   It matters.

3.  He www coached by one of the greatest high school coaches of all time.  Then by one of the greatest pro coaches of all time.  It matters.

4.  He hasn't just been coaching for two years.  He put in his time as an assistant under his brother both at Wagner and URI where they succeeded.

His background matters.  To pretend he went to Clemson and is not a Hurley is pointless and counterproductive.

A sound post.

Poison

« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2015, 07:00:08 PM »
Hurley wasn't an NBA athlete, or anything like that. For those who didn't see him play, he is more like a Ryan Arciadiacano than anyone I can think of. Guys like have to be smart players. He had a great teacher, and yes, of course, Bobby is very talented as well, but his success came from the system he played in, and how well he understood it. Let him recreate that system here.