What could happen...

• 373 replies
Re: What could happen...
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2015, 07:20:25 PM »
If we are getting rid of Lavin, I would love Mullin to be the coach.

« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2015, 07:21:50 PM »
Not sure on timetable.

Also for Slice if the money was right its better situation than UK. Less pressure, longer leash.

Yes but so was Pitt and he left Jamie Dixon and a familar situation for UK.

I can't claim to know the reasons behind his every move. I'm assuming money + security was better at UK than at Pitt.

Agreed and I don't doubt he has a great relationship with Mullin (btw him and Lavin are close friends as well) and maybe he would come under that hypothetical.  He does love NYC and SJU.

But I can't see how he would leave Pitt for more money and better security at UK but somehow those things improve by leaving UK for SJU, that's all.

« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2015, 07:30:41 PM »
interesting joey delarosa tweet
Joey Delarosa ‏@DelarosaJoey  43m43 minutes ago
Change is Good for everybody

« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2015, 07:38:00 PM »
I like Bobby Hurley. I was not trying to show ignorance. What I am trying to say is his 3 point shot that everyone has seen should have little affect on him becoming the next St. Johns coach. If he was the same player, went to clemson, had a different father, and had the same coaching resume would we even be considered for this job? He is not only being considered he as looked on as a slam dunk hire? If he was hired I wouldn't complain. I don't think it would be the smart move at the present time under the present circumstances.

1.  Kids he is recruiting can YouTube him as a player and say Damn coach can play.  That could make the difference in a close recruiting battle whether it should or not.

2.  Fathers and families can be (but of course do not have to be) a glimpse or a window into what one may be like.  It certainly shows his upbringing and when hiring an up and comer who you are projecting will do well at a higher level, definitely can provide you with more of a level of comfort or a better educated guess at future success   It matters.

3.  He www coached by one of the greatest high school coaches of all time.  Then by one of the greatest pro coaches of all time.  It matters.

4.  He hasn't just been coaching for two years.  He put in his time as an assistant under his brother both at Wagner and URI where they succeeded.

His background matters.  To pretend he went to Clemson and is not a Hurley is pointless and counterproductive.
When I watched his pre-game locker room speech before the WVU game, I thought to myself, "THAT is the kind of coach I want coaching my team."  I want preparation and I want under control fire.  I want a coach that lights a fire under his players, and leads through inspiration.

I give credit to coach Lavin for getting the guys to play hard this year, but I didn't want the guys to test out one of Vince Lombardi's axioms:
"Fatigue will make cowards of us all."

Moose

« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2015, 07:38:01 PM »
New President isn't going to be a slave to Repole and his $$.  Needs to make his own mark.   Repole is the guy that brought in Lavin, lets remember that also.   He's not a GM... He doesn't deserve do over after do over.

Repole did NOT bring in Lavin.  He just helped fund it.  There was zero connection between the two.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2015, 07:39:04 PM »
IMO If Bobby Hurley is attainable he has to be on the SJU sidelines starting next season. If we miss out on the Bobby Hurley boat because we extend Lavin or hire Mullin this program deserves the mediocrity it will endure for the next decade

So Bobby is now a can't miss based on his 25-11 record in the MAC.  OK.

goredmen

« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2015, 07:45:26 PM »
IMO If Bobby Hurley is attainable he has to be on the SJU sidelines starting next season. If we miss out on the Bobby Hurley boat because we extend Lavin or hire Mullin this program deserves the mediocrity it will endure for the next decade

So Bobby is now a can't miss based on his 25-11 record in the MAC.  OK.

Bobby, as a 12 seed with the University of Buffalo, gave a good WVU team a much better fight than Lavin, as a 9 seed with St. John's gave a very average 8 seeded SDSU team. Yes, one year doesn't mean much, but tell me Lavin would have had that Buffalo squad anywhere near the tournament or anywhere near giving WVU a run for their money. You can't. Lavin has proved he's nothing more than mediocre. Thats been proven here and at UCLA. Hurley can be great. How do you not take that chance.

Also, you have to realize it's just as big of a gamble, might even be a bigger gamble, to hope Lavin actually does BETTER than he has done over these past 5 years when there is absolutely no indication that will happen
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 07:46:44 PM by goredmen »

« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2015, 07:57:27 PM »
So again with this 1 time game where they ALMOST win is now definitive of a can't miss.

Well what about a coach who actually won as a 12 seed (Bobby Gonzalez)?  What about a coach who took a MAAC team to the Tourney as a 9 seed (McCaffrey)?

Are you lining up Hall of Fame votes for those guys?

Give me a break with this 1 game nonsense.  Remember last year Masiello nearly beat the defending NC #4 seed Louisville and then he got hired by USF before that fell thru.  USF is arguably the WORST high major job in America, if you consider them high major.  And this year he came within 10 points of beating Hampton in a play in game which proves exactly what????

What if under a 1 game scenario Buffalo hired Mike Krzyzewski.  And that one game was the NCAA Tourney game against WVU.  And he almost beat them.

Does that mean Bobby Hurley is as a good a coach as Mike Krzyzewski and if given the opportunity with 30+ years at Duke he would win 1000 games?

No it doesn't meant that at all.  It is pure nonsense.

boo3

« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2015, 08:01:15 PM »
New President isn't going to be a slave to Repole and his $$.  Needs to make his own mark.   Repole is the guy that brought in Lavin, lets remember that also.   He's not a GM... He doesn't deserve do over after do over.

Repole did NOT bring in Lavin.  He just helped fund it.  There was zero connection between the two.

If he's using his own private money he's certainly putting his stamp of approval.  He's not funding a coach he's not ok with..   Was Lavin coming here without Repole and his money?  I would say no, considering state of program at the time.

I don't care how this plays out, as long as something is decided soon.

jr49

« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2015, 08:01:20 PM »
Dave, Is there a timeline it deadline for all these decisions fall this to GI down...If Lavin is being extended and he knows it he can resume recruiting duties with confidence...Anything else will be a mad dash to find staff and players.
If Lav was in a hurry to recruit legit BE players we would have seen 3 goodies take the court this year with 3 more on the way. No contract talk and no drama. Brass gatta wonder what kind of product they going to be selling tickets for next year. Val and Fox also have a interest. Not likley he can fool all concerned, when I'm guessing they all talk.

goredmen

« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2015, 08:08:52 PM »
So again with this 1 time game where they ALMOST win is now definitive of a can't miss.

Well what about a coach who actually won as a 12 seed (Bobby Gonzalez)?  What about a coach who took a MAAC team to the Tourney as a 9 seed (McCaffrey)?

Give me a break with this 1 game nonsense.  Remember last year Masiello nearly beat the defending NC #4 seed Louisville and then he got hired by USF before that fell thru.  USF is arguably the WORST high major job in America, if you consider them high major.  And this year he came within 10 points of beating Hampton in a play in game which proves exactly what????

What if under a 1 game scenario Buffalo hired Mike Krzyzewski.  And that one game was the NCAA Tourney game against WVU.  And he almost beat them.

Does that mean Bobby Hurley is as a good a coach as Mike Krzyzewski and if given the opportunity with 30+ years at Duke he would win 1000 games?

Nowhere did I say he'd be the next Coach K but he's one of the hottest coaches in the country right now with great coaching pedigree. Not sure what Masiello has to do with anything, he hasn't coached anywhere other than Manhattan yet so it's yet to be seen if he'll be successful or not. McCaffery inherited a brutally bad Iowa team and has led them to back to back NCAA tournaments and has won a game in the tournament. You can't say he's been a failure. Bobby G failed because he's certifiably insane.

I am also not saying had Lavin and Hurley switched places for that one game that Lavin wouldn't have had a good game against WVU. I am saying that had Lavin been coaching Buffalo these past two years instead of Hurley, that program doesn't sniff a tournament.

You brought up a bunch of guys that have had one big tournament win or close game and have not had success after that. In our case with Lavin, we aren't experiencing any type of success either and we didn't even have our big tournament moment. But again, if you want to accept mediocrity and pass up the chance to be great thats up to you. Hurley might not be great, but he certainly can be, where Lavin has proven he can't and won't be great

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2015, 08:09:57 PM »
Dave, Is there a timeline it deadline for all these decisions fall this to GI down...If Lavin is being extended and he knows it he can resume recruiting duties with confidence...Anything else will be a mad dash to find staff and players.
If Lav was in a hurry to recruit legit BE players we would have seen 3 goodies take the court this year with 3 more on the way. No contract talk and no drama. Brass gatta wonder what kind of product they going to be selling tickets for next year. Val and Fox also have a interest. Not likley he can fool all concerned, when I'm guessing they all talk.

Not sure if it's funny or sad, but Lavin would have to recruit or he may have to forfeit next because of lack of players....Maybe that's he key... just cancel the season, find all the recruits the prgram needs, use the season as practice and in the 16-17 season we will be ready without the burden of a losing season. Stupid like a fox!
Cougar O' Malley

Moose

« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2015, 08:13:47 PM »

If he's using his own private money he's certainly putting his stamp of approval.  He's not funding a coach he's not ok with..   Was Lavin coming here without Repole and his money?  I would say no, considering state of program at the time.

He was just getting involved with SJU the last time around.  He was force behind buying out Norm and then floating the first offer to Billy D.  That was the only coach with a loose connection (ie Pitino).  The next two candidates (Hewitt and Lav) were no connection but he wanted a change so was willing to help. 

So yes you're likely right that Lav wouldn't have been here without Repole.  But not many people would have been since he put the wheels in motion with letting go of Norm. 

This time around maybe he wants more of a say.  I don't know.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2015, 08:21:20 PM »

Nowhere did I say he'd be the next Coach K but he's one of the hottest coaches in the country right now with great coaching pedigree. Not sure what Masiello has to do with anything, he hasn't coached anywhere other than Manhattan yet so it's yet to be seen if he'll be successful or not. McCaffery inherited a brutally bad Iowa team and has led them to back to back NCAA tournaments and has won a game in the tournament. You can't say he's been a failure. Bobby G failed because he's certifiably insane.

I am also not saying had Lavin and Hurley switched places for that one game that Lavin wouldn't have had a good game against WVU. I am saying that had Lavin been coaching Buffalo these past two years instead of Hurley, that program doesn't sniff a tournament.

You brought up a bunch of guys that have had one big tournament win or close game and have not had success after that. In our case with Lavin, we aren't experiencing any type of success either and we didn't even have our big tournament moment. But again, if you want to accept mediocrity and pass up the chance to be great thats up to you. Hurley might not be great, but he certainly can be, where Lavin has proven he can't and won't be great

Give me a break with this nonsense.

First off you completely miss the point. You can take any coach in a 1 game situation and do anything with it and it doesn't prove anything.  Any coach.  Take the St. Peter's coach and put him with Buffalo for 1 game and say he almost beats WVU.  So what?  Then take the best coach in America and give him the same situation.  It So what?

Excuse making for McCaffery.  Love the 2 NCAA appearances.  Go look, last year they completely collapsed end of the year.  Believe they lost 6 of 7 to finish 9-9, lost in the first round of the B10 Tourney and then lost in the play in round of the NCAA's as an 11 seed.  So go look at that 4 year record and translate that here at SJU.  Really you are going to make excuses for him after 4 years?  NO WAY.

Goes to another point I always make.  People are quick to make excuses for other coaches instead of their own simply because it is a convenient way to criticize the coach they have when in fact they would not tolerate much of the stuff they excuse for other coaches.

There is nothing in Bobby Hurley's record that screams that he will be a serious upgrade at this point.  I don't care what excuses you come up with.

« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2015, 08:24:17 PM »
Let me repeat this for everyone to understand.  Many of the excuses you make for other coaches are not excuses you would make for a coach at SJU.

Two reasons for that: 1)You have already decided that you want your current coach out so who cares if you are not consistent and 2)You are not a fan of those other schools so it is very easy for you to make excuses for THOSE coaches when in fact you would NEVER afford the same for your current coach.

It is not fair.

Tha Kid

« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2015, 08:28:14 PM »
Let me repeat this for everyone to understand.  Many of the excuses you make for other coaches are not excuses you would make for a coach at SJU.

It is not fair.

Pretty damn sure if Bobby Hurley gets us in the tourney in year 2 of his tenure we will all be pretty psyched.  Your knock against him is that...he's not a home run?

He was an extremely successful point guard - point guards often make the best coaches for the obvious reasons.

He has learned from 2 of the best.  Both of whom I'm sure he will seek advice from and continue to learn from.

He's not some former college star and NBA player who is just hoping a big time job falls into his lap.  Hell, he worked on his YOUNGER brother's staff at a low major and mid major school before becoming head coach at a low/mid major.  There he turned around the program instantly and dramatically.

Is Bobby Hurley a home run?  Let's say he's a hard hit liner to left in Fenway Park.  He could be a home run, he could be a double or triple off the wall depending on how the ball bounces, or he could be a hard single off the wall...but he's definitely moving the guys around the bases and improving the program, whether its by a little bit or by a ton.

Guys like Bobby Hurley who work like him don't fail.  Think about the head coaches in big conferences who have failed. How many of them have had the fire AND success in life while working hard for it every step of the way like Bobby Hurley?

Guys like that just win.  Period.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 08:33:16 PM by Tha Kid »
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2015, 08:28:22 PM »

Two reasons for that: 1)You have already decided that you want your current coach out so who cares if you are not consistent and 2)You are not a fan of those other schools so it is very easy for you to make excuses for THOSE coaches when in fact you would NEVER afford the same for your current coach.

It is not fair.

He sounds like realfan. 
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 08:38:02 PM by mjdinkins »

boo3

« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2015, 08:29:15 PM »

He was just getting involved with SJU the last time around.  He was force behind buying out Norm and then floating the first offer to Billy D.  That was the only coach with a loose connection (ie Pitino).  The next two candidates (Hewitt and Lav) were no connection but he wanted a change so was willing to help. 

So yes you're likely right that Lav wouldn't have been here without Repole.  But not many people would have been since he put the wheels in motion with letting go of Norm. 

This time around maybe he wants more of a say.  I don't know.

Thanks for the clarification Moose, Makes sense.

goredmen

« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2015, 08:34:45 PM »

First off you completely miss the point. You can take any coach in a 1 game situation and do anything with it and it doesn't prove anything.  Any coach.  Take the St. Peter's coach and put him with Buffalo for 1 game and say he almost beats WVU.  So what?  Then take the best coach in America and give him the same situation.  It So what?

Excuse making for McCaffery.  Love the 2 NCAA appearances.  Go look, last year they completely collapsed end of the year.  Believe they lost 6 of 7 to finish 9-9, lost in the first round of the B10 Tourney and then lost in the play in round of the NCAA's as an 11 seed.  So go look at that 4 year record and translate that here at SJU.  Really you are going to make excuses for him after 4 years?  NO WAY.

Goes to another point I always make.  People are quick to make excuses for other coaches instead of their own simply because it is a convenient way to criticize the coach they have when in fact they would not tolerate much of the stuff they excuse for other coaches.

There is nothing in Bobby Hurley's record that screams that he will be a serious upgrade at this point.  I don't care what excuses you come up with.

Again, you are missing my point. What exactly has Lavin done to show that he can and will elevate this program to the next level. I can answer that for you: nothing. Bobby Hurley has the potential to take this program to the next level, Lavin has proven that he doesn't. Now, before you twist my words again, I am not saying Hurley is a sure thing to be a consistent winner. What I am saying is that he has a legitimate chance to take this program to where we all want it to be whereas Lavin does not.

Realistic question for you. If Archie was interested and could be had, would you fire Lavin to hire him?

« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2015, 08:36:29 PM »

Do you remember how some people was pumping up Willard before the season?  Those same people would've tarred and feathered Willard, if he was at St. John's. 

goredmen acts like he has just started watching the tournament.  There are always situations where a low seed gives a higher seed all they can handle or even beats 'em.  So, I'd be careful using that one-game scenario, as a way to translate into long-term success.  I'm not saying Hurley can't or won't be successful at the higher-level.  I'm just stating a game or so in the NCAA tournament isn't necessarily a barometer for sustained success.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 08:37:40 PM by mjdinkins »