What could happen...

• 373 replies

Pete88

Re: What could happen...
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2015, 08:40:55 PM »
So again with this 1 time game where they ALMOST win is now definitive of a can't miss.

Well what about a coach who actually won as a 12 seed (Bobby Gonzalez)?  What about a coach who took a MAAC team to the Tourney as a 9 seed (McCaffrey)?

Are you lining up Hall of Fame votes for those guys?

Give me a break with this 1 game nonsense.  Remember last year Masiello nearly beat the defending NC #4 seed Louisville and then he got hired by USF before that fell thru.  USF is arguably the WORST high major job in America, if you consider them high major.  And this year he came within 10 points of beating Hampton in a play in game which proves exactly what????

What if under a 1 game scenario Buffalo hired Mike Krzyzewski.  And that one game was the NCAA Tourney game against WVU.  And he almost beat them.

Does that mean Bobby Hurley is as a good a coach as Mike Krzyzewski and if given the opportunity with 30+ years at Duke he would win 1000 games?

No it doesn't meant that at all.  It is pure nonsense.

Nowhere did I say he'd be the next Coach K but he's one of the hottest coaches in the country right now with great coaching pedigree. Not sure what Masiello has to do with anything, he hasn't coached anywhere other than Manhattan yet so it's yet to be seen if he'll be successful or not. McCaffery inherited a brutally bad Iowa team and has led them to back to back NCAA tournaments and has won a game in the tournament. You can't say he's been a failure. Bobby G failed because he's certifiably insane.

I am also not saying had Lavin and Hurley switched places for that one game that Lavin wouldn't have had a good game against WVU. I am saying that had Lavin been coaching Buffalo these past two years instead of Hurley, that program doesn't sniff a tournament.

You brought up a bunch of guys that have had one big tournament win or close game and have not had success after that. In our case with Lavin, we aren't experiencing any type of success either and we didn't even have our big tournament moment. But again, if you want to accept mediocrity and pass up the chance to be great thats up to you. Hurley might not be great, but he certainly can be, where Lavin has proven he can't and won't be great

Give me a break with this nonsense.

First off you completely miss the point. You can take any coach in a 1 game situation and do anything with it and it doesn't prove anything.  Any coach.  Take the St. Peter's coach and put him with Buffalo for 1 game and say he almost beats WVU.  So what?  Then take the best coach in America and give him the same situation.  It So what?

Excuse making for McCaffery.  Love the 2 NCAA appearances.  Go look, last year they completely collapsed end of the year.  Believe they lost 6 of 7 to finish 9-9, lost in the first round of the B10 Tourney and then lost in the play in round of the NCAA's as an 11 seed.  So go look at that 4 year record and translate that here at SJU.  Really you are going to make excuses for him after 4 years?  NO WAY.

Goes to another point I always make.  People are quick to make excuses for other coaches instead of their own simply because it is a convenient way to criticize the coach they have when in fact they would not tolerate much of the stuff they excuse for other coaches.

There is nothing in Bobby Hurley's record that screams that he will be a serious upgrade at this point.  I don't care what excuses you come up with.

Again, you are missing my point. What exactly has Lavin done to show that he can and will elevate this program to the next level. I can answer that for you: nothing. Bobby Hurley has the potential to take this program to the next level, Lavin has proven that he doesn't. Now, before you twist my words again, I am not saying Hurley is a sure thing to be a consistent winner. What I am saying is that he has a legitimate chance to take this program to where we all want it to be whereas Lavin does not.

Realistic question for you. If Archie was interested and could be had, would you fire Lavin to hire him?

Are you comparing Archie to Bobby Hurley?  should they be treated the same in terms of "sure things"?

« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2015, 08:43:35 PM »
So again with this 1 time game where they ALMOST win is now definitive of a can't miss.

Well what about a coach who actually won as a 12 seed (Bobby Gonzalez)?  What about a coach who took a MAAC team to the Tourney as a 9 seed (McCaffrey)?

Give me a break with this 1 game nonsense.  Remember last year Masiello nearly beat the defending NC #4 seed Louisville and then he got hired by USF before that fell thru.  USF is arguably the WORST high major job in America, if you consider them high major.  And this year he came within 10 points of beating Hampton in a play in game which proves exactly what? ???

What if under a 1 game scenario Buffalo hired Mike Krzyzewski.  And that one game was the NCAA Tourney game against WVU.  And he almost beat them.

Does that mean Bobby Hurley is as a good a coach as Mike Krzyzewski and if given the opportunity with 30+ years at Duke he would win 1000 games?

Straight up...

You're in the office with the AD and Prez...

They tell you "we will pick whoever you want among Lavin, Hurley 1 & 2, and Masiello.  Years 1-2 do not matter, but at the end of year 10 in 2025, we want to exceed where we've been the past 35 years for any given 10 year period."

Who do you choose, taking into account Lavin is young enough to go another 10 years?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 08:44:11 PM by bball purist »

goredmen

« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2015, 08:45:58 PM »

Give me a break with this 1 game nonsense.  Remember last year Masiello nearly beat the defending NC #4 seed Louisville and then he got hired by USF before that fell thru.  USF is arguably the WORST high major job in America, if you consider them high major.  And this year he came within 10 points of beating Hampton in a play in game which proves exactly what????

Nowhere did I say he'd be the next Coach K but he's one of the hottest coaches in the country right now with great coaching pedigree. Not sure what Masiello has to do with anything, he hasn't coached anywhere other than Manhattan yet so it's yet to be seen if he'll be successful or not. McCaffery inherited a brutally bad Iowa team and has led them to back to back NCAA tournaments and has won a game in the tournament. You can't say he's been a failure. Bobby G failed because he's certifiably insane.

I am also not saying had Lavin and Hurley switched places for that one game that Lavin wouldn't have had a good game against WVU. I am saying that had Lavin been coaching Buffalo these past two years instead of Hurley, that program doesn't sniff a tournament.

You brought up a bunch of guys that have had one big tournament win or close game and have not had success after that. In our case with Lavin, we aren't experiencing any type of success either and we didn't even have our big tournament moment. But again, if you want to accept mediocrity and pass up the chance to be great thats up to you. Hurley might not be great, but he certainly can be, where Lavin has proven he can't and won't be great

First off you completely miss the point. You can take any coach in a 1 game situation and do anything with it and it doesn't prove anything.  Any coach.  Take the St. Peter's coach and put him with Buffalo for 1 game and say he almost beats WVU.  So what?  Then take the best coach in America and give him the same situation.  It So what?

Excuse making for McCaffery.  Love the 2 NCAA appearances.  Go look, last year they completely collapsed end of the year.  Believe they lost 6 of 7 to finish 9-9, lost in the first round of the B10 Tourney and then lost in the play in round of the NCAA's as an 11 seed.  So go look at that 4 year record and translate that here at SJU.  Really you are going to make excuses for him after 4 years?  NO WAY.

Goes to another point I always make.  People are quick to make excuses for other coaches instead of their own simply because it is a convenient way to criticize the coach they have when in fact they would not tolerate much of the stuff they excuse for other coaches.

There is nothing in Bobby Hurley's record that screams that he will be a serious upgrade at this point.  I don't care what excuses you come up with.

Do you remember how some people was pumping up Willard before the season?  Those same people would've tarred and feathered Willard, if he was at St. John's. 

goredmen acts like he has just started watching the tournament.  There are always situations where a low seed gives a higher seed all they can handle or even beats 'em.  So, I'd be careful using that one-game scenario, as a way to translate into long-term success.  I'm not saying Hurley can't or won't be successful at the higher-level.  I'm just stating a game or so in the NCAA tournament isn't necessarily a barometer for sustained success.

Yes, I am aware that in a one game scenario anything can happen. However, Bobby Hurley just getting Buffalo to the tournament was a huge accomplishment, and he did it in only his 2nd year there. Buffalo is a program that has been to a grand total of 0 NCAA tournaments and 1 NIT prior to Hurley getting there and not only did he get them there in year 2, he got them in as a 12 seed and was competitive against a really good WVU team.

Tell me this, what exactly has Lavin accomplished here? We're slightly better than we were during the Norm years, not something to celebrate. 20 win seasons like the one we had last year is not an accomplishment when you go 2-9 against actual NCAA tournament teams and don't hear your name called on selection sunday

goredmen

« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2015, 08:47:16 PM »

Again, you are missing my point. What exactly has Lavin done to show that he can and will elevate this program to the next level. I can answer that for you: nothing. Bobby Hurley has the potential to take this program to the next level, Lavin has proven that he doesn't. Now, before you twist my words again, I am not saying Hurley is a sure thing to be a consistent winner. What I am saying is that he has a legitimate chance to take this program to where we all want it to be whereas Lavin does not.

Realistic question for you. If Archie was interested and could be had, would you fire Lavin to hire him?

Are you comparing Archie to Bobby Hurley?  should they be treated the same in terms of "sure things"?

No, I am not. Nowhere did I compare them. Don't put words in my mouth you troll. I just asked him a legitimate question in which I would find his answer interesting

« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2015, 08:50:11 PM »

Do you remember how some people was pumping up Willard before the season?  Those same people would've tarred and feathered Willard, if he was at St. John's. 

goredmen acts like he has just started watching the tournament.  There are always situations where a low seed gives a higher seed all they can handle or even beats 'em.  So, I'd be careful using that one-game scenario, as a way to translate into long-term success.  I'm not saying Hurley can't or won't be successful at the higher-level.  I'm just stating a game or so in the NCAA tournament isn't necessarily a barometer for sustained success.

Yes, I am aware that in a one game scenario anything can happen. However, Bobby Hurley just getting Buffalo to the tournament was a huge accomplishment, and he did it in only his 2nd year there. Buffalo is a program that has been to a grand total of 0 NCAA tournaments and 1 NIT prior to Hurley getting there and not only did he get them there in year 2, he got them in as a 12 seed and was competitive against a really good WVU team.

Tell me this, what exactly has Lavin accomplished here? We're slightly better than we were during the Norm years, not something to celebrate. 20 win seasons like the one we had last year is not an accomplishment when you go 2-9 against actual NCAA tournament teams and don't hear your name called on selection sunday

No one is even talking about Lavin.  Stand on your merits and continue to build your argument about Hurley, instead of attempting to tear down Lavin.

Frankly, I don't care about Buffalo being competitive against West Virginia.  That in itself doesn't do much for me.  Fact is he still lost, and the NCAA tends to be a crapshoot.  Actually, I wouldn't be upset with Bobby Hurley (if we end up with a new coach), but I'm not quite sold on him, as of yet.

Foad

« Reply #65 on: March 24, 2015, 08:56:06 PM »
Anyone have a guess what Seth Greenberg makes at ESPN?

The NIT.

« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2015, 08:59:20 PM »
Let me repeat this for everyone to understand.  Many of the excuses you make for other coaches are not excuses you would make for a coach at SJU.

It is not fair.

Pretty damn sure if Bobby Hurley gets us in the tourney in year 2 of his tenure we will all be pretty psyched.  Your knock against him is that...he's not a home run?

He was an extremely successful point guard - point guards often make the best coaches for the obvious reasons.

He has learned from 2 of the best.  Both of whom I'm sure he will seek advice from and continue to learn from.

He's not some former college star and NBA player who is just hoping a big time job falls into his lap.  Hell, he worked on his YOUNGER brother's staff at a low major and mid major school before becoming head coach at a low/mid major.  There he turned around the program instantly and dramatically.

Is Bobby Hurley a home run?  Let's say he's a hard hit liner to left in Fenway Park.  He could be a home run, he could be a double or triple off the wall depending on how the ball bounces, or he could be a hard single off the wall...but he's definitely moving the guys around the bases and improving the program, whether its by a little bit or by a ton.

Guys like Bobby Hurley who work like him don't fail.  Think about the head coaches in big conferences who have failed. How many of them have had the fire AND success in life while working hard for it every step of the way like Bobby Hurley?

Guys like that just win.  Period.

Holy Marillac
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #67 on: March 24, 2015, 09:00:20 PM »
Let me repeat this for everyone to understand.  Many of the excuses you make for other coaches are not excuses you would make for a coach at SJU.

Two reasons for that: 1)You have already decided that you want your current coach out so who cares if you are not consistent and 2)You are not a fan of those other schools so it is very easy for you to make excuses for THOSE coaches when in fact you would NEVER afford the same for your current coach.

It is not fair.

He sounds like realfan.

lmao  There ya go Fordham, we both are someone else (me being Joe3, and you being realfan.).
Just laugh

Wonder how many other times Dinkins called posters on here other posters   20+ over the years?

« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2015, 09:01:20 PM »
In my opinion, Without that shot and Laetner being perfect beating UNLV Duke isn't Duke. Coach K doesn't coach the USA team and Hurley is remembered as the little white PG who got abused by Anderson Hunt. I am not against Bobby Hurley but 2 years in the MAC. Not a great resume. Would rather hire him next year, so he can come in a more stable environment. Bobby Hurley may be a great coach paying him plus Lavin next year and losing 20 games doesnt make a whole lot of sense to me.

And without Kareem, UCLA never becomes UCLA. Talk about throwing out hypotheticals that have no basis in reality.

Now back to reality. Hurley and Duke's back to back title legacy is one of the most memorable periods in the modern game.

2 years in the MAC and already an NCAA berth. He lead them to their first NCAA appearance in the school's history. Pretty damn impressive. If you put Lavin in the MAC, he'd be relegated to total anonymity and never be in the Dance.

Hurley would be a vast upgrade over Lavin. It's not like the team's ever getting any better under Lavin than what we saw this year. This year was Lavin's peak. SJU may have to take a step back with Hurley because of the roster depletion next year. However long term Hurley can build a program that gets better and more talented every year, unlike Lavin.

That is a lot of assumptions you just made but stated as facts. I don't know if Hurley will be a good coach, and you don't either. To say that Lavin peaked is ridiculous. Let's see how it plays out and wish for the best.

Tha Kid

« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2015, 09:03:41 PM »

It is not fair.

Pretty damn sure if Bobby Hurley gets us in the tourney in year 2 of his tenure we will all be pretty psyched.  Your knock against him is that...he's not a home run?

He was an extremely successful point guard - point guards often make the best coaches for the obvious reasons.

He has learned from 2 of the best.  Both of whom I'm sure he will seek advice from and continue to learn from.

He's not some former college star and NBA player who is just hoping a big time job falls into his lap.  Hell, he worked on his YOUNGER brother's staff at a low major and mid major school before becoming head coach at a low/mid major.  There he turned around the program instantly and dramatically.

Is Bobby Hurley a home run?  Let's say he's a hard hit liner to left in Fenway Park.  He could be a home run, he could be a double or triple off the wall depending on how the ball bounces, or he could be a hard single off the wall...but he's definitely moving the guys around the bases and improving the program, whether its by a little bit or by a ton.

Guys like Bobby Hurley who work like him don't fail.  Think about the head coaches in big conferences who have failed. How many of them have had the fire AND success in life while working hard for it every step of the way like Bobby Hurley?

Holy Marillac

HA! That made me laugh out loud.  Nothing's wrong with being a little marillac-esque...especially when you are right like I am about Bobby (for the record I think Danny is just as good a hire).
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2015, 09:03:55 PM »

Two reasons for that: 1)You have already decided that you want your current coach out so who cares if you are not consistent and 2)You are not a fan of those other schools so it is very easy for you to make excuses for THOSE coaches when in fact you would NEVER afford the same for your current coach.

It is not fair.

He sounds like realfan.

lmao  There ya go Fordham, we both are someone else (me being Joe3, and you being realfan.).
Just laugh

Wonder how many other times Dinkins called posters on here other posters   20+ over the years?

Common sense should've told you that I wasn't talking about fordham.

Guilty conscience speaking, huh, nitwit?   
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 09:05:28 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2015, 09:07:51 PM »

It is not fair.

He sounds like realfan.

Just laugh

Name calling now? I see, you got the mentality of a kid. Aren't you an adult?  Pretty sad, but you just be you.

« Reply #72 on: March 24, 2015, 09:10:14 PM »

It is not fair.

He sounds like realfan.

Just laugh

Name calling now? I see, you got the mentality of a kid. Aren't you an adult?  Pretty sad, but you just be you.

I call it (you) how I see it.   

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2015, 09:12:50 PM »
Except for this board, and Twitter has any major NYC newspaper or espn have actually written anything on Lavin's status? Maybe this story seems like a bigger deal because people here are super engaged compared to the average fan and recruit who is concentrating on the NCAA...
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #74 on: March 24, 2015, 09:12:52 PM »

It is not fair.

He sounds like realfan.

Just laugh

Someone can't hold a conversation without calling names

« Reply #75 on: March 24, 2015, 09:13:09 PM »

It is not fair.

Holy Marillac

HA! That made me laugh out loud.  Nothing's wrong with being a little marillac-esque...especially when you are right like I am about Bobby (for the record I think Danny is just as good a hire).

Haha happen to agree with both of you, think he will be successful.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

TONYD3

« Reply #76 on: March 24, 2015, 09:13:32 PM »
Not fxcking with anyone. What is the next level? Xavier is in the sweet 16 . Are they in the next level? We beat them twice.

« Reply #77 on: March 24, 2015, 09:14:00 PM »

It is not fair.

He sounds like realfan.

Just laugh

ok there you funny guy. 

« Reply #78 on: March 24, 2015, 09:14:08 PM »

Give me a break with this 1 game nonsense.  Remember last year Masiello nearly beat the defending NC #4 seed Louisville and then he got hired by USF before that fell thru.  USF is arguably the WORST high major job in America, if you consider them high major.  And this year he came within 10 points of beating Hampton in a play in game which proves exactly what? ???

Straight up...

You're in the office with the AD and Prez...

They tell you "we will pick whoever you want among Lavin, Hurley 1 & 2, and Masiello.  Years 1-2 do not matter, but at the end of year 10 in 2025, we want to exceed where we've been the past 35 years for any given 10 year period."

Who do you choose, taking into account Lavin is young enough to go another 10 years?

Honestly I would take Lavin.

I would.

BTW-Here is some experience.  If you came to me 11 years ago or 9 years ago and said in 10 years who would you rather have, Norm Roberts or Bobby Gonzalez?

I would have said Bobby in a heartbeat.  No questions asked.  Now, no way.  Not to suggest Norm was Bobby Knight but...

« Reply #79 on: March 24, 2015, 09:14:21 PM »

It is not fair.

He sounds like realfan.

Just laugh

That's all you do. Critique posters.