What could happen...

• 373 replies
Re: What could happen...
« Reply #80 on: March 24, 2015, 09:15:52 PM »
Bobby Hurley is a 1000% better basketball mind than Steve Lavin. That cannot be argued. His pedigree is outstanding. Is he experienced? No. Have his results so far been impressive? Yes. Would I trust him running my team? Absolutely.

boo3

« Reply #81 on: March 24, 2015, 09:17:50 PM »
 Anyone else bothered by the fact Bobby Hurley is a whiny little bitch from Duke?

Just throwing that out there..

goredmen

« Reply #82 on: March 24, 2015, 09:18:00 PM »
Not fxcking with anyone. What is the next level? Xavier is in the sweet 16 . Are they in the next level? We beat them twice.

I would definitely consider Xavier next level. 13 NCAA tournament appearances since 2001, and 5 sweet 16s since 2008. I would kill for that type of success here. I don't care who beats me in the regular season, 5 sweet 16s in 7 years is great success

goredmen

« Reply #83 on: March 24, 2015, 09:18:39 PM »
Anyone else bothered by the fact Bobby Hurley is a whiny little bitch from Duke?

Doesn't bother me as much as the countless excuses Lavin makes for all his shortcomings

« Reply #84 on: March 24, 2015, 09:19:06 PM »
Bobby Hurley is a 1000% better basketball mind than Steve Lavin. That cannot be argued. His pedigree is outstanding. Is he experienced? No. Have his results so far been impressive? Yes. Would I trust him running my team? Absolutely.

His results prove nothing.  What results, he is 25-11 in a 1 bid conference?  What pedigree?  The one that has led Johnny Dawkins to 7 nondescript years at Stanford.  How about Quinn Snyder?  How about Tommy Amaker?  Cut and ran from SHU and then spent what 6 years at Michigan failing to make 1 NCAA.

Please.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 09:19:45 PM by fordham96 »

Tha Kid

« Reply #85 on: March 24, 2015, 09:19:41 PM »
So again with this 1 time game where they ALMOST win is now definitive of a can't miss.

Well what about a coach who actually won as a 12 seed (Bobby Gonzalez)?  What about a coach who took a MAAC team to the Tourney as a 9 seed (McCaffrey)?

Are you lining up Hall of Fame votes for those guys?

Give me a break with this 1 game nonsense.  Remember last year Masiello nearly beat the defending NC #4 seed Louisville and then he got hired by USF before that fell thru.  USF is arguably the WORST high major job in America, if you consider them high major.  And this year he came within 10 points of beating Hampton in a play in game which proves exactly what? ???

What if under a 1 game scenario Buffalo hired Mike Krzyzewski.  And that one game was the NCAA Tourney game against WVU.  And he almost beat them.

Does that mean Bobby Hurley is as a good a coach as Mike Krzyzewski and if given the opportunity with 30+ years at Duke he would win 1000 games?

No it doesn't meant that at all.  It is pure nonsense.
Straight up...

You're in the office with the AD and Prez...

They tell you "we will pick whoever you want among Lavin, Hurley 1 & 2, and Masiello.  Years 1-2 do not matter, but at the end of year 10 in 2025, we want to exceed where we've been the past 35 years for any given 10 year period."

Who do you choose, taking into account Lavin is young enough to go another 10 years?

Honestly I would take Lavin.

I would.

BTW-Here is some experience.  If you came to me 11 years ago or 9 years ago and said in 10 years who would you rather have, Norm Roberts or Bobby Gonzalez?

I would have said Bobby in a heartbeat.  No questions asked.  Now, no way.  Not to suggest Norm was Bobby Knight but...

Here's the thing fordham, I think Lavin is clearly most proven of them.  If you want 2-3 NCAA tourney bids every 5-6 years, occasional stud recruits and don't mind a horribly coached team in the process, lavin is your guy.

However, he has proven, I believe, that he is never going to be any better than that.  And that is not good enough.  And whether its true or not, he's given an appearance that he has taken recruiting season's off before.  That just doesn't cut it as coach of st. john's unless you are bringing in hoards of MCDAAs.  How many of those has he brought in again?  Same amount as Norm and less than every other coach in history here? Yeah that's right.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #86 on: March 24, 2015, 09:19:59 PM »
Let me repeat this for everyone to understand.  Many of the excuses you make for other coaches are not excuses you would make for a coach at SJU.

Two reasons for that: 1)You have already decided that you want your current coach out so who cares if you are not consistent and 2)You are not a fan of those other schools so it is very easy for you to make excuses for THOSE coaches when in fact you would NEVER afford the same for your current coach.

It is not fair.

He sounds like realfan.

lmao  There ya go Fordham, we both are someone else (me being Joe3, and you being realfan.).
Just laugh

Wonder how many other times Dinkins called posters on here other posters   20+ over the years?

Common sense should've told you that I wasn't talking about fordham.

Guilty conscience speaking, huh, nitwit?

Name calling now? I see, you got the mentality of a kid. Aren't you an adult?  Pretty sad, but you just be you.

Someone can't hold a conversation without calling names

boo3

« Reply #87 on: March 24, 2015, 09:20:50 PM »

Doesn't bother me as much as the countless excuses Lavin makes for all his shortcomings

Lavin is in your head brother..  You need to take a walk around the block.. You sound disturbed, honestly.

« Reply #88 on: March 24, 2015, 09:21:00 PM »
Let me repeat this for everyone to understand.  Many of the excuses you make for other coaches are not excuses you would make for a coach at SJU.

Two reasons for that: 1)You have already decided that you want your current coach out so who cares if you are not consistent and 2)You are not a fan of those other schools so it is very easy for you to make excuses for THOSE coaches when in fact you would NEVER afford the same for your current coach.

It is not fair.

He sounds like realfan.

lmao  There ya go Fordham, we both are someone else (me being Joe3, and you being realfan.).
Just laugh

Wonder how many other times Dinkins called posters on here other posters   20+ over the years?

Name calling now? I see, you got the mentality of a kid. Aren't you an adult?  Pretty sad, but you just be you.

I call it (you) how I see it.   

That's all you do. Critique posters.

I'd tell you the same in person.

« Reply #89 on: March 24, 2015, 09:21:42 PM »
So again with this 1 time game where they ALMOST win is now definitive of a can't miss.

Well what about a coach who actually won as a 12 seed (Bobby Gonzalez)?  What about a coach who took a MAAC team to the Tourney as a 9 seed (McCaffrey)?

Are you lining up Hall of Fame votes for those guys?

Give me a break with this 1 game nonsense.  Remember last year Masiello nearly beat the defending NC #4 seed Louisville and then he got hired by USF before that fell thru.  USF is arguably the WORST high major job in America, if you consider them high major.  And this year he came within 10 points of beating Hampton in a play in game which proves exactly what? ???

What if under a 1 game scenario Buffalo hired Mike Krzyzewski.  And that one game was the NCAA Tourney game against WVU.  And he almost beat them.

Does that mean Bobby Hurley is as a good a coach as Mike Krzyzewski and if given the opportunity with 30+ years at Duke he would win 1000 games?

No it doesn't meant that at all.  It is pure nonsense.
Straight up...

They tell you "we will pick whoever you want among Lavin, Hurley 1 & 2, and Masiello.  Years 1-2 do not matter, but at the end of year 10 in 2025, we want to exceed where we've been the past 35 years for any given 10 year period."

Who do you choose, taking into account Lavin is young enough to go another 10 years?

Honestly I would take Lavin.

I would.

BTW-Here is some experience.  If you came to me 11 years ago or 9 years ago and said in 10 years who would you rather have, Norm Roberts or Bobby Gonzalez?

I would have said Bobby in a heartbeat.  No questions asked.  Now, no way.  Not to suggest Norm was Bobby Knight but...

Here's the thing fordham, I think Lavin is clearly most proven of them.  If you want 2-3 NCAA tourney bids every 5-6 years, occasional stud recruits and don't mind a horribly coached team in the process, lavin is your guy.

However, he has proven, I believe, that he is never going to be any better than that.  And that is not good enough.  And whether its true or not, he's given an appearance that he has taken recruiting season's off before.  That just doesn't cut it as coach of st. john's unless you are bringing in hoards of MCDAAs.  How many of those has he brought in again?  Same amount as Norm and less than every other coach in history here? Yeah that's right.

No I don't want that.  That is why I am not opposed to a change necessarily.  But barring a clear upgrade I would give him a couple of years to see where we are in 2017.  What is the talent level?  And is SJU positioned to challenge consistently for a BE title.

Moose

« Reply #90 on: March 24, 2015, 09:22:02 PM »
Stop the back and forth on the thread.
Remember who broke the Slice news

cjfish

« Reply #91 on: March 24, 2015, 09:22:17 PM »
What will happen is that Lavin will be extended.  He has run a clean program and SJU believes this is more important than winning.  Mullin loves SJU but is not coming, it is a losing proposition.  He is the only hope, with his fame etc he could probably sell SJU to the kids and coach them well.  What we need is a hard worker, whoever that might be, seems either Hurley fits the bill.  Won't happen though, we are stuck with Lavin unless HE decides to leave.  SJU, even with a mediocre campus, should not be a hard sell because NY is the greatest city in the world and we play at the Garden.  I thought Lavin would work out because he has the rep as a salesman, snakeoil or not, and should have been able to sell it.  So, find a hardworking salesman who can coach a bit.  Most potential coaches would love to come here if they saw any potential in the program.  Best schools in the world for your kids and NYC.  Not the boring rolling hills of KY, the overbuilt mess that is Florida, the mediocrity of central NC.  Been all over and NY is it if you can afford it.  NY man, NY.  WHY SO HARD A SELL?

Lavin returns, he is a mediocre coach and we will continue to be average at best.  At least I have the hope that maybe, just maybe, he can learn to sell the city to the kids.  No reason why the prime NYC program should not be atop ten program.

TONYD3

« Reply #92 on: March 24, 2015, 09:25:17 PM »
Not fxcking with anyone. What is the next level? Xavier is in the sweet 16 . Are they in the next level? We beat them twice.

I would definitely consider Xavier next level. 13 NCAA tournament appearances since 2001, and 5 sweet 16s since 2008. I would kill for that type of success here. I don't care who beats me in the regular season, 5 sweet 16s in 7 years is great success
good answer. I didnt know that. Not trying to mess with you either. I don't see Chris Mack being better then Lavin

« Reply #93 on: March 24, 2015, 09:27:21 PM »

Straight up...

I'll take Danny Hurley over all of those guys.  And, I'm no fan of that pageant mom, either.

Bobby Hurley is fool's gold. Someone earlier mentioned he's "paid his dues as an assistant". He spent a decade not involved in basketball, but instead losing his shirt in horseracing. Danny threw him a bone and brought him on HIS staff at Wagner. Two years at Wagner, one at URI and suddenly he's a HC at Buffalo. Talk about paying your dues.

Danny has really worked his way up the ladder. And, he's proven to build a program at URI. It was terrible when he got there, and he won 23 games in year 3 with a really young squad. I imagine they'll be picked at the top of the league next year.

Like I said, his theatrics annoy the hell out of me, but I'll bank on the coaching lifer who's won at multiple spots as he works his way up the ladder than the flash-in-the-pan two year guy.

« Reply #94 on: March 24, 2015, 09:27:27 PM »
People think bringing Lavin back is the death knell of the program as if his 5 year run is the worst thing since slice bread.  Chris Mack of Xavier is 19-17 in BE play the last 2 years (Lavin is 20-16) and the year before that he failed to make the NCAA's or the NIT in his last year in the A-10.  And no one thinks he is anything  but one of the best young coaches in America.

Yet they admit if things don't work out with one of their "can't misses" that SJU can simply move on in a few years. 

If Lavin gets extended it won't mean if things don't look good in a few years SJU can't move on either.

goredmen

« Reply #95 on: March 24, 2015, 09:27:57 PM »

good answer. I didnt know that. Not trying to mess with you either. I don't see Chris Mack being better then Lavin

Mack is good because he knows what it takes to maintain a successful program and he knows how to build a roster. He might not be the best X's and O's guy or best recruiter but he's good enough at both to stay successful

« Reply #96 on: March 24, 2015, 09:28:37 PM »

His results prove nothing.  What results, he is 25-11 in a 1 bid conference?  What pedigree?  The one that has led Johnny Dawkins to 7 nondescript years at Stanford.  How about Quinn Snyder?  How about Tommy Amaker?  Cut and ran from SHU and then spent what 6 years at Michigan failing to make 1 NCAA.

Please.

Fordham, Bobby never coached under K  and to be honest, that makes his candidacy even more impressive in my eyes. He shouldn't be lumped together with the others coming out of K's stable. His pedigree is he is one of the greatest PG's over the last 25 years in college basketball and played for 2 hall of fame coaches. You can argue he needs more seasoning, but the early returns are very good at Buffalo. I trust he will only get better.

« Reply #97 on: March 24, 2015, 09:29:10 PM »

It is not fair.

He sounds like realfan.

Just laugh

I call it (you) how I see it.   

That's all you do. Critique posters.

I'd tell you the same in person.

Watch out Baldi, he's the killer clown, be careful

Tha Kid

« Reply #98 on: March 24, 2015, 09:30:06 PM »

Please.

Comparing bobby Hurley to the other former dukies you mentioned is silly.

The other guys you mentioned were all long time assistants under coach K whose FIRST coaching gig was in a big time conference.  None of them worked themselves up the ladder without the help of coach K so it is possible they got better jobs than they deserved solely because of coach Ks success.

Bobby worked under his brother at Wagner and URI and then his first head coaching job was at buffalo.  He rolled up his sleeves.  He's proven himself on his own.

That's the first thing that should give you more confidence that bobby will not be like them.

And for the record amaker seems like a great coach. I think if another big time job came his way that he wanted he would succeed.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #99 on: March 24, 2015, 09:30:25 PM »

That's ridiculous.  He has 40 losses the last 3 years.  I think he is great coach.  But he got to play Miss St two days after they came back down 18 from BYU and then played Georgia St.  You cannot equalize all sweet 16's.

NC St has more sweet 16's then Villanova the last 4 years despite just barely making the Tourney in 2012 and 2014 and never doing better than an 8th seed but by definition Gottfried has been more successful than Jay Wright at Villanova?  No he is not.