What could happen...

• 373 replies

goredmen

Re: What could happen...
« Reply #160 on: March 24, 2015, 11:21:56 PM »
Serious question. If some people here don't want to fire Lavin for Hurley, Masiello etc. that essentially means Lavin is going to be the coach for life if it was up to them, right? I mean we are never going to get the sure thing like Shaka or Marshall or whoever at SJU. The next coaching hire, regardless of when it is made, will be a coach that will at least be somewhat of a question mark. If we don't fire Lavin now for one of these guys, when do we fire him for an unknown commodity?
Next year if he only gets one year guarantee or less on a buyout - I wouldn't care if it's a 3-5 extension at that point - he shouldn't have more security than looking for a new job for a year if he screws this all up.

Crucial to an extension if it occurs imho

I feel like we are going to know how good the team is going to be next year just before the season starts. If he strikes out on all the recruits/transfers/Jucos then we are gonna be pretty bad. But if he pulls another rabbit out of the hat we might have a chance to be decent. Unfortunately that probably wouldn't play out for a few more months but a decision needs to be made now

« Reply #162 on: March 25, 2015, 12:12:12 AM »
Hurley might not be great, but he certainly can be, where Lavin has proven he can't and won't be great

Head coaching record
Season    Team    Overall    Conference    Standing    Postseason
UCLA Bruins (Pacific-10 Conference) (1996–2003)
1996–97    UCLA    24–8    15–3    1st    NCAA Elite Eight
1997–98    UCLA    24–9    12–6    3rd    NCAA Sweet Sixteen
1998–99    UCLA    22–9    12–6    3rd    NCAA First Round
1999–00    UCLA    21–12    10–8    T–4th    NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2000–01    UCLA    23–9    14–4    3rd    NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2001–02    UCLA    21–12    11–7    6th    NCAA Sweet Sixteen

Poison

« Reply #163 on: March 25, 2015, 12:22:14 AM »
Serious question. If some people here don't want to fire Lavin for Hurley, Masiello etc. that essentially means Lavin is going to be the coach for life if it was up to them, right? I mean we are never going to get the sure thing like Shaka or Marshall or whoever at SJU. The next coaching hire, regardless of when it is made, will be a coach that will at least be somewhat of a question mark. If we don't fire Lavin now for one of these guys, when do we fire him for an unknown commodity?

An unknown commodity is Norm Roberts. Bobby Hurley is a head coach coming off a better season than Lavin. At f'n Buffalo. He is not an unproven commodity. He's a legend in his own time.

« Reply #164 on: March 25, 2015, 12:37:47 AM »
In my opinion, Without that shot and Laetner being perfect beating UNLV Duke isn't Duke. Coach K doesn't coach the USA team and Hurley is remembered as the little white PG who got abused by Anderson Hunt. I am not against Bobby Hurley but 2 years in the MAC. Not a great resume. Would rather hire him next year, so he can come in a more stable environment. Bobby Hurley may be a great coach paying him plus Lavin next year and losing 20 games doesnt make a whole lot of sense to me.

You do realize the "shot" was against Kentucky in year two of dukes repeat national title seasons.  In the elite 8.

Duke beat undefeated UNLV in 1991 in the final four.

Also hurleys 3 pointer while Duke was down 5 w 2 mins left against UNLV is what coach k refers to as the biggest shot he's witnessed in his career.  Sure there is some hyperbole there but to act like Hurley was made by laettner is completely ignorant.

Without B Hurley, Duke does not win back to back National Championships.  Kid was smooth and the one of the best point guards I witnessed in the early 90s.  Looks like Depaul has made the first move.

http://larrybrownsports.com/college-basketball/bobby-hurley-depaul-job/258207

« Reply #165 on: March 25, 2015, 05:47:29 AM »

An unknown commodity is Norm Roberts. Bobby Hurley is a head coach coming off a better season than Lavin. At f'n Buffalo. He is not an unproven commodity. He's a legend in his own time.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 05:48:19 AM by redstorm212 »

« Reply #166 on: March 25, 2015, 07:32:03 AM »
Zach Braziller ‏@NYPost_Brazille  25m25 minutes ago
Taking off for LA. I expect St John's to have made a decision on coaching situation by the time I land. #sjubb

Poison

« Reply #167 on: March 25, 2015, 08:07:43 AM »

Damn right. Ask a city that hasn't won shit in my lifetime, except for this.

goredmen

« Reply #168 on: March 25, 2015, 09:38:44 AM »
Andy Katz ‏@ESPNAndyKatz  5m5 minutes ago
UB reaches agreement in principle on new contract with Bobby Hurley - Campus Watch http://campuswatch.buffalonews.com/2015/03/25/ub-reaches-agreement-in-principle-on-new-contract-with-bobby-hurley/

There goes that idea

hnk

« Reply #169 on: March 25, 2015, 09:41:25 AM »
He still could more than double his salary

Tha Kid

« Reply #170 on: March 25, 2015, 09:42:30 AM »
UB reaches agreement in principle on new contract with Bobby Hurley - Campus Watch http://campuswatch.buffalonews.com/2015/03/25/ub-reaches-agreement-in-principle-on-new-contract-with-bobby-hurley/

There goes that idea

Eh ya never know.  Stranger things have happened (Billy Donovan accepted the Magic job, and never coached there, right?).  It may be a sign that DePaul definitely is not where Bobby wants to be - and who can blame him.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #171 on: March 25, 2015, 09:43:25 AM »

There goes that idea
That plays into our hands if we do only a 1 year buyout with Lavin if we really wanted Hurley.  This way, we get to see more of what Hurley can do, and what Lavin does this next year.  Really doesn't bother the Bobby evaluation except for maybe taking our medicine two-three years instead of one-two years. Yes, I don't see how in the heck we're going to win more than 14-15 games next season regardless of who is the coach.

« Reply #172 on: March 25, 2015, 09:45:00 AM »

There goes that idea

doesn't " in principle" means its not signed, ect?

« Reply #173 on: March 25, 2015, 09:48:56 AM »

There goes that idea

Yep. He could back out instantly.  His dad may have told him to stay another year and get a better Beast gig than DePaul.

Is Hurley going to say "no, I might get a better gig, and it's wrong to consider this bump up?"

paultzman

« Reply #174 on: March 25, 2015, 10:07:42 AM »

There goes that idea

Yes

goredmen

« Reply #175 on: March 25, 2015, 10:17:28 AM »
Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN  15s15 seconds ago
Bobby Hurley has not signed deal to stay at Buffalo, sources told ESPN. As of this moment, source said he intends to interview with DePaul.

I guess he's still available after all

Tha Kid

« Reply #176 on: March 25, 2015, 10:19:00 AM »
Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN  15s15 seconds ago
Bobby Hurley has not signed deal to stay at Buffalo, sources told ESPN. As of this moment, source said he intends to interview with DePaul.

I guess he's still available after all

Basically, DePaul better not show up with an offer that marginally increases his salary.  $1M+ minimum.  I think that's what that Buffalo info does.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #177 on: March 25, 2015, 10:20:44 AM »
if lavin is let go and Hurley is top choice, they're willing to get into a bidding war?  don't see that happening.

Poison

« Reply #178 on: March 25, 2015, 10:29:06 AM »
if lavin is let go and Hurley is top choice, they're willing to get into a bidding war?  don't see that happening.

His family is in Staten Island. Not Chicago.

Poison

« Reply #179 on: March 25, 2015, 10:30:06 AM »
Hurley might not be great, but he certainly can be, where Lavin has proven he can't and won't be great

Head coaching record
Season    Team    Overall    Conference    Standing    Postseason
UCLA Bruins (Pacific-10 Conference) (1996–2003)
1996–97    UCLA    24–8    15–3    1st    NCAA Elite Eight
1997–98    UCLA    24–9    12–6    3rd    NCAA Sweet Sixteen
1998–99    UCLA    22–9    12–6    3rd    NCAA First Round
1999–00    UCLA    21–12    10–8    T–4th    NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2000–01    UCLA    23–9    14–4    3rd    NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2001–02    UCLA    21–12    11–7    6th    NCAA Sweet Sixteen

Lavin's success at UCLA is about as exciting as Randy Johnson's was in Arizona.