Team MVP

• 19 replies

DFF6

Team MVP
« on: December 29, 2014, 08:09:26 AM »
While Harrison is the go to guy, and Obekpa has had some special games, I'm voting for Pointer.

Re: Team MVP
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 08:11:45 AM »
We've all seen it....when Harrison is out of the game, most everything stalls. It's Harrison.

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 08:27:00 AM »
Pointer has been great this year, but the offense would be awful without Harrison. Plus he's been great defensively as well.

Moose

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 08:57:03 AM »
I'm sorry but I just don't like a thread like this.  But Jay hit the nail on the head.  There is no question Dom has been amazing this year.  And Chris changes games.  But its Dee all day every day and twice on Sundays.  He is a threat whenever he is on the floor.

Lets continue to praise Dom especially for what he's done but in terms of MVP its Harrison.
Remember who broke the Slice news

hnk

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 09:01:24 AM »
I love Pointer and the way he's been playing, but can't forget D's defense and REBOUNDING.

DFF6

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 09:54:32 AM »
I get that Harrison is great, and gives this team so much, but before the season started, we had no front court beside Obekpa, so long as he stayed out of foul trouble.  What has amazed me thus far, and why I voted for Dom, is that Dom has been the guy who has stepped up and played great against the other team's bigs on defense, and has been in the middle of a lot of our runs this year.

Moose

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2014, 09:57:11 AM »
I get that Harrison is great, and gives this team so much, but before the season started, we had no front court beside Obekpa, so long as he stayed out of foul trouble. What has amazed me thus far, and why I voted for Dom, is that Dom has been the guy who has stepped up and played great against the other team's bigs on defense, and has been in the middle of a lot of our runs this year.

You're right.  And I guess some detractors can argue the team won less games with Harrison as the focal point.  But take him off this team and its scary.  We saw that when he was suspended.  I guess saying besides Harrison who is the 2nd most valuable player this season would be more appropriate?

DFF6

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2014, 10:00:06 AM »
I get that Harrison is great, and gives this team so much, but before the season started, we had no front court beside Obekpa, so long as he stayed out of foul trouble. What has amazed me thus far, and why I voted for Dom, is that Dom has been the guy who has stepped up and played great against the other team's bigs on defense, and has been in the middle of a lot of our runs this year.
You're right. And I guess some detractors can argue the team won less games with Harrison as the focal point. But take him off this team and its scary. We saw that when he was suspended. I guess saying besides Harrison who is the 2nd most valuable player this season would be more appropriate?
Fair point Moose.

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2014, 10:10:24 AM »
I am also not to fond of these post pitting player against each other. I think our success this year is largely due to the fact that everyone has bought into the team concept. Everyone has excepted their role. 
How about a vote for Coach Lavin

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2014, 10:22:06 AM »
Nothing against Pointer, he's been great. But the answer to this question is Harrison and it's not close. 

DFF6

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2014, 10:23:10 AM »
I am also not to fond of these post pitting player against each other. I think our success this year is largely due to the fact that everyone has bought into the team concept. Everyone has excepted their role. How about a vote for Coach Lavin
A. It's for fun. I doubt this poll will actually pit the players against each other.
2. The P in MVP is for player, not person. Sorry for not clarifying that.
(iii) Individual awards in team sports are given out all of the time.  Can't understand why this poll would offend anyone, but to each his/her own.
D. I know you meant "accepted their role", but "excepted" is actually funnier. 

Poison

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2014, 12:04:02 PM »
Nothing against Pointer, he's been great. But the answer to this question is Harrison and it's not close.
If Pointer can't step in and the 4/5, Amar Alibegovic is. So, it's not so cut and dry. Harrison has been terrific, but so has Pointer. It takes a team. And as a unit, they are realizing that. Obekpa has huge against Long Beach State. Against Tulane, we all held our breath when he sat early in the first half in foul trouble, but it didn't matter because Dom was lethal. 

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2014, 07:49:02 PM »
Guess the Aggie vote is to offset Carmine's vote for Phil.  :)   Close between Dlo for leadership, scoring, defense, and rebounding but went with the Swiss Army knife because he does one more-block shots. But would not argue with Dlo voters. Part of it may be that we expect great play from Dlo while Dom has been a pleasant surprise. BTW reading today's articles about Lavin bringing up the possibility of Dom redshirting this year and Dom in response working very hard all off season on his skills and game IMO this is the year we should have gotten from Dom as a soph and he should have continued to improve from there and he would be a much higher rated NBA prospect right now. Dom was rated what 25 coming out of HS and watching him in the HS all star games I labeled him a mini version of MJ. I'm sure Dom has had aspirations to continue his basketball career post college so it is hard to understand why he hasn't worked harder right throughout. Sort of like Johnny Football. After all, ball handling and shooting are skills that can be improved and it looks like Dom has finally worked on and improved those skills. Hopefully he can continue to do so and have himself a fine NBA career.

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2014, 08:02:04 PM »
Guess the Aggie vote is to offset Carmine's vote for Phil. :) 

But she caught me on the counter (It wasn't me)
 Saw me bangin' on the sofa (It wasn't me)
 I even had her in the shower (It wasn't me)
 She even caught me on camera (It wasn't me)
She saw the marks on my shoulder (It wasn't me)
 Heard the words that I told her (It wasn't me)
 Heard the scream get louder (It wasn't me)

I voted for 3'lo.

Moose

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2014, 08:05:27 PM »
Guess the Aggie vote is to offset Carmine's vote for Phil. :)
But she caught me on the counter (It wasn't me) Saw me bangin' on the sofa (It wasn't me) I even had her in the shower (It wasn't me) She even caught me on camera (It wasn't me) She saw the marks on my shoulder (It wasn't me) Heard the words that I told her (It wasn't me) Heard the scream get louder (It wasn't me) I voted for 3'lo.

Its scary when Carmine of all people is quoting Shaggy lyrics.

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2014, 08:10:05 PM »
Meant Carmine Coppola  :)

Marillac

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2014, 11:03:51 PM »
We have three guys this can go to after 12 games:  Dom, CO, or Harrison.  We'd be awful without Harrison..just awful...so he gets my vote.  His shot selection is much improved and he has that menacing mid-range and pullup three (remember fighting with board members about that being a great shot for him a few years ago) that allow him to accumulate points rather quietly.  He does whatever is needed to win...defend, board, shoot, pass....
Dom is the key to the style of play and chemistry.  He facilitates the offense from inside-out when we need it, and he is all-world on defensse.
CO allows this team to get away with the aggressive defense.  Without him, we'd have to go back to the drawing board.  
One name left out is Jordan.  The kid is the last guy on this team to abandon the 2013-2014 style of play.  I hate his shot selection...he is a chemistry-killer.  But, damn, I love the rest of his game. 

desco80

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2014, 09:09:50 AM »
We have three guys this can go to after 12 games:  Dom, CO, or Harrison.  We'd be awful without Harrison..just awful...so he gets my vote.  His shot selection is much improved and he has that menacing mid-range and pullup three (remember fighting with board members about that being a great shot for him a few years ago) that allow him to accumulate points rather quietly.  He does whatever is needed to win...defend, board, shoot, pass....
Dom is the key to the style of play and chemistry.  He facilitates the offense from inside-out when we need it, and he is all-world on defensse.
CO allows this team to get away with the aggressive defense.  Without him, we'd have to go back to the drawing board. 
One name left out is Jordan.  The kid is the last guy on this team to abandon the 2013-2014 style of play.  I hate his shot selection...he is a chemistry-killer.  But, damn, I love the rest of his game.

Your analysis is noticeably better lately, have you stopped drinking?  Changed meds?   Jk

I think you are particularly spot on about Dangelo's change in shot selection and how he's not forcing things this year.   I don't know where to find a stat for it, but I would guess he's getting less of his shots blocked this year as a result.
Now, if only we could get Jordan to buy into making that type of change ....then we'd be rolling.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 09:10:24 AM by desco80 »

TONYD3

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2014, 09:29:56 AM »
Harrison's shot selection is better because everyone eles it better. He doesnt have to force shots.

Wods317

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2014, 10:46:14 AM »
Harrison and it is not close. Without him we would be scary to watch on offense. Chris and Dom have also done a very nice job this year but DLo is on another level