Nurideen Lindsey - PG - Redlands CC - Philadelphia, PA - ST. JOHN'S

• 402 replies

Moose

Re: Nurideen Lindsey - PG - Redlands CC - Philadelphia, PA - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #320 on: August 24, 2011, 11:47:00 PM »
Nuri is focused:

Nurideen Lindsey
I love my city, I just hate the way it is. Summer basketball is over for me. So to everyone who wanted to see me play, but never got the chance because of this non-sense going on out here, I apologize. St.Johns is where the focus is now, and ESPN is where you guys can see me. Hopefully next summer is alot different. In a good way. I would love to come back to MY city and play.

Wonder what he's talking about that went wrong with Summer ball.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #321 on: August 24, 2011, 11:56:25 PM »
Nuri is focused:

Nurideen Lindsey
I love my city, I just hate the way it is. Summer basketball is over for me. So to everyone who wanted to see me play, but never got the chance because of this non-sense going on out here, I apologize. St.Johns is where the focus is now, and ESPN is where you guys can see me. Hopefully next summer is alot different. In a good way. I would love to come back to MY city and play.

It kinda sounds like he's referring to the NBA, in reference to (next) summer ball.  "MY city" sounds like he'd like to rep the Sixers.

Moose

« Reply #322 on: August 24, 2011, 11:58:01 PM »
Nuri is focused:

Nurideen Lindsey

It kinda sounds like he's referring to the NBA, in reference to (next) summer ball.  "MY city" sounds like he'd like to rep the Sixers.

I don't know.  That seems a little reaching to me.

« Reply #323 on: August 24, 2011, 11:58:26 PM »
He's referring to a shoot out in the playground.  He says he's tired of violence.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 11:59:30 PM by redmen4life »

« Reply #324 on: August 25, 2011, 11:05:44 AM »
Can we compare Nuri to Hatten?

Moose

« Reply #325 on: August 25, 2011, 11:12:21 AM »

I think so to an extent.  The JC thing, similar build tho Nuri seems taller, prolific scoring.  Nuri seems more athletic than Hatten.  Did anyone see Hatten prior to him playing at STJ?

Marillac

« Reply #326 on: August 25, 2011, 11:43:08 AM »

Sure why not?  The only difference is Hatten is a mere mortal. 

« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 11:52:54 AM by Marillac »

Moose

« Reply #327 on: August 25, 2011, 11:49:03 AM »

Sure why not?  The only difference is a mere mortal. 

Here we go.
Like I said in my post going into that season who saw Hatten play?  All we knew was his JC accolades.  As we know it turned out great.  We actually know more about Nuri.  Not saying oh yeah they are identical but take a step back and think about when Hatten came here.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #328 on: August 25, 2011, 12:30:46 PM »
We could (and should) compare him to Hardy. Maybe Bootsy too. After all, Nuri might be a shooting guard who sometimes passes, not a point guard who often shoots. There's a lot we don't know.

Marillac

« Reply #329 on: August 25, 2011, 12:53:49 PM »
We could (and should) compare him to Hardy. Maybe Bootsy too. After all, Nuri might be a shooting guard who sometimes passes, not a point guard who often shoots. There's a lot we don't know.

Sure, let's compare a kid who doesn't even attempt three-pointers to two of the best shooters we've had in the last 15 years. 
Some kid's just aren't susceptible to comparisons to our former players.  Hatten for example was 6'1 and a frail 160, while Nuri is 6'3 and solid.  Hatten was a freak of an athlete and Nuri might be a little above average.  Hatten was flashy and needed to dominate the ball.  Nuri can get his points in the flow of the game and doesn't need to dribble the air out of the ball.  Also, Hatten was an INCREDIBLE rebouner for his size, and Nuri, even though two to three inches taller, seemed uninterested in crashing the boards or going for 50/50 bals.

The two similarities I saw with Nuri and Hardy were the way they got to the basket and how they can get their stuff as it comes to them without forcing it or dominating the ball.  Nuri is a much better driver and Hardy is a much better shooter. 
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 12:56:03 PM by Marillac »

« Reply #330 on: August 25, 2011, 01:02:33 PM »

Sure, let's compare a kid who doesn't even attempt three-pointers to two of the best shooters we've had in the last 15 years. 
Some kid's just aren't susceptible to comparisons to our former players.  Hatten for example was 6'1 and a frail 160, while Nuri is 6'3 and solid.  Hatten was a freak of an athlete and Nuri might be a little above average.  Hatten was flashy and needed to dominate the ball.  Nuri can get his points in the flow of the game and doesn't need to dribble the air out of the ball.  Also, Hatten was an INCREDIBLE rebouner for his size, and Nuri, even though two to three inches taller, seemed uninterested in crashing the boards or going for 50/50 bals.

The two similarities I saw with Nuri and Hardy were the way they got to the basket and how they can get their stuff as it comes to them without forcing it or dominating the ball.  Nuri is a much better driver and Hardy is a much better shooter.

Hatten was not a great shooter by any calculation.  His shooting % numbers were avg at best.  He was a volume shooter.

Terrific kid and nice player but don't overrate him either.

Nuri has a better skill set and will play with better players.

Marillac

« Reply #331 on: August 25, 2011, 02:57:36 PM »

Hatten was not a great shooter by any calculation.  His shooting % numbers were avg at best.  He was a volume shooter.

Terrific kid and nice player but don't overrate him either.

Nuri has a better skill set and will play with better players.

Show me where I said Hatten was even a good shooter?  Let's not overrate Hatten but let's declare Nuri as having a better skillset [REDACTED FOR ANGER/ POSSIBLE OFFENSIVENESS] You guys are off your meds or something. 
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 03:19:27 PM by peter »

pmg911

« Reply #332 on: August 25, 2011, 03:12:47 PM »
Marillac/Fordham - have either of you seen Nuri Lindsey play a live game of real basketball... not a Pro Am game or all star game, a real game with real refs and kids that are actually trying on defense.?

« Reply #333 on: August 25, 2011, 03:22:56 PM »
Marillac/Fordham - have either of you seen Nuri Lindsey play a live game of real basketball... not a Pro Am game or all star game, a real game with real refs and kids that are actually trying on defense.?

Yes.  More importantly I know people who have seen Nuri and trust their opinion.

Guy is legit.

Marillac

« Reply #334 on: August 25, 2011, 03:29:11 PM »

Yes...two games.  His shot is disgusting looking (only made eight treys all year), he didn't even pretend to try on defense (and that is not hyperbole, he stood up straight the whole game and his team looked infinitely better in their zone when he sat), he didn't go after rebounds or 50/50 balls, and he missed a ton of FT's and layups.

What he did well...he got pat his man at will in the half court and the kid was actually a legit defender and athlete, albeit like 5'9.  He actually has a pretty looking midrange that you can tell he spends a lot of time getting it off exactly the same. 

I think he'll be a good player and a starter, but it's insulting to say he'll be better than All-Americans like Hatten and Hardy when he never even played a second of real college basketball.

God forbid somene say that anything that's not gleaming about a St. John's recruit. All nine are going straigt to the NBA lottery.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #335 on: August 25, 2011, 03:30:46 PM »

HEY, let's keep it civil.

My point wasn't that any of them are the same player as the other players. Each one is a bit different. If you can compare Nuri and Hatten, I don't see why not add in two other impact JUCO players. You may be right in saying those comparisons don't work, and I respect that. But let's be civil about it.

pmg911

« Reply #336 on: August 25, 2011, 03:32:53 PM »
I agree with you about his ability and numerous people I trust have told me he will be our best player next year.

I was just curious to know where you saw him..? He played his real games in Oklahoma, Missouri & Kansas last year.

« Reply #337 on: August 25, 2011, 03:33:02 PM »
I hear that Nuri plays like Nuri.

Just sayin'.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

Marillac

« Reply #338 on: August 25, 2011, 03:36:45 PM »
I agree with you about his ability and numerous people I trust have told me he will be our best player next year.

I was just curious to know where you saw him..? He played his real games in Oklahoma, Missouri & Kansas last year.

He had two playoff games on the internet.  The competition was ugly. 

« Reply #339 on: August 25, 2011, 03:40:05 PM »
Games was on the web. Even caught one in kenya.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.