Yakwe Eligible!!

• 129 replies

paultzman

Re: Yakwe Eligible!!
« Reply #100 on: November 26, 2015, 10:26:01 AM »
I will not slam him for not getting double double.

Know that :)

QuanMan

« Reply #101 on: November 26, 2015, 10:27:58 AM »
Solid points from everyone. When I first heard the news on yesterday's telecast I immediately felt relieved. I was happy for Kass and was very glad to see the genuine joy his teammates had for him on the bench. This makes you feel for Marcus even more now, but his time is coming.

@Fordham isn't going to be easy, nor will NJIT or South Carolina next month, and of course Syracuse. We need him now, there really isn't a debate. Kass is not only another body, he's someone who deserves to be a freshman, take his lumps, and develop his game with the rest of this crew.

Here's how I'd have the depth chart throughout December:

PG: Moose/Felix/Elijah
SG: Ron/Malik
SF: Durand/Kass
PF: CJ/Darien/Amar
C:   Sima/Darien

Granted it was a D2 team, but they broke out yesterday offensively. They're beginning to find themselves as a unit, a team is developing and Mullin's imprint and vision is becoming a clearer. A true road game is ahead of them next week, looking forward to Kass, Malik, and Darien joining this bunch next month as they prepare for the BE schedule.
Section 3
Section 116

Moose

« Reply #102 on: November 26, 2015, 10:28:20 AM »
Mitch Richmond indicated on the radio post game show he's in for Fordham.  Also said he needs work in some areas, so don't expect big miracles.  Play him...he won't be around for four years.

Where's he going?

Absolutely nowhere

It depends on his work ethic.  I'll go on record and say he isn't going to be transferring to Iona.

You said he won't be around for 4 years.  Any ideas where he would be going?

You know this Marco.  Too many factors nowadays where these kids leave at first chance even if they would be better served staying. 
Remember who broke the Slice news

hnk

« Reply #103 on: November 26, 2015, 10:28:44 AM »
He's young...and raw....and small for a big time power forward and a great kid.....who'll develop over time.  Can't wait, but it's definitely right to temper expectations for this year and maybe even next. 

Moose

« Reply #104 on: November 26, 2015, 10:29:25 AM »
Solid points from everyone. When I first heard the news on yesterday's telecast I immediately felt relieved. I was happy for Kass and was very glad to see the genuine joy his teammates had for him on the bench. This makes you feel for Marcus even more now, but his time is coming.

@Fordham isn't going to be easy, nor will NJIT or South Carolina next month, and of course Syracuse. We need him now, there really isn't a debate. Kass is not only another body, he's someone who deserves to be a freshman, take his lumps, and develop his game with the rest of this crew.

Granted it was a D2 team, but they broke out yesterday offensively. They're beginning to find themselves as a unit, a team is developing and Mullin's imprint and vision is becoming a clearer. A true road game is ahead of them next week, looking forward to Kass, Malik, and Darien joining this bunch next month as they prepare for the BE schedule.

Moose

« Reply #105 on: November 26, 2015, 10:29:52 AM »
He's young...and raw....and small for a big time power forward and a great kid.....who'll develop over time.  Can't wait, but it's definitely right to temper expectations for this year and maybe even next. 

So you're saying 9 and 8 is too much?

hnk

« Reply #106 on: November 26, 2015, 10:35:17 AM »
Not predicting anything but I certainly wouldn't count on it.

« Reply #107 on: November 26, 2015, 10:52:13 AM »

KY is a PF right now. Mullin's task to get him to the league is to develop his perimeter skills. From what I've seen of him, he's a high motor rebounder with limited shooting and ball handling ability. One or more forwards (Amar, Williams) will be effectively out of the rotation if KY is moderately effective on the defensive end and on the glass.

Poison

« Reply #108 on: November 26, 2015, 11:13:20 AM »
Maralliac makes some good points. But this guy would be an instant starter. Guys redshirt because they can't play not because they can. I can't believe he would be interested in sitting in the bench and watching his team get killed .

Exactly. He's probably our best rebounder because we just don't rebound well. He doesn't have to be Jayson Williams to make a big impact for us. I'm glad that Chris Mullin believes in him and isn't thinking about our roster in 5 years. There should be no place for that kind of thought process here. You sit a project, and I mean a real project like Jones. Yakwe was a top 100 recruit. I'd be totally ok with the BE fining us for trying to redshirt him. We'd deserve it.

Believe in your heads that this is a rebuilding year if you must, but don't ever tell me that the season is lost before it starts. If that's ever the case, then don't bother playing it. You wouldn't deserve to.

Poison

« Reply #109 on: November 26, 2015, 11:18:28 AM »

He was offered a scholarship from Villanova, Kansas, Syracuse, Pittsburgh and Louisville. That's a big time list. But yes, we shouldn't expect him to be a dominant player from day one. If he can give us 6 points and 6 boards that would be excellent.

Poison

« Reply #110 on: November 26, 2015, 11:20:20 AM »

Yakwe is more of a true power forward than anyone on the current roster. We can't put dainty players like Johnson and Williams in the forward positions. They can't handle the competition at the D1 level. Hopefully Yakwe can take serious minutes away from them.

jayro

« Reply #111 on: November 26, 2015, 12:22:50 PM »
I would be amazed if they red-shirted him.  He fought like crazy to get here this year-not next- We've only played 6 games. Yes, practicing with the team helps, but it can't simulate a game.  In addition - we have no idea what will be going on in four years-we could use some rebounding help now.

MCNPA

« Reply #112 on: November 26, 2015, 12:52:41 PM »
Yakwe will help right away with his athleticism in rebounding and blocking shots ore the ball.  He's a sick athlete and his depth and motor will be a help right away.  Non reason to redshirt him when we only had 6 games and league play hasn't even started.  He will be that much better next season after having played this season.  And we are 4-2 right now with out only losses to top 20 teams so it's not a throw away.  To
Many fans it builds confidence in the program.  No reason to lay down our swords just yet...

redslope

« Reply #113 on: November 26, 2015, 01:28:22 PM »
First-Williams can not be reshirted; last year was his redshirt year.  This is 3rd year in "college" and this is second playing.

That being said, Yawke should play now.  He will learn more by being on the court in real games and he will better bond will his fellow Frosh which helps in the long run.  Sima and Musse have developed a positive relationship as seen during/after the games.  Yawke can be part of this group by being on the floor with them rather than being in sweats on the bench.  The future is now!  All we need is  nickname for Yawke. 

Poison

« Reply #114 on: November 26, 2015, 02:10:19 PM »
First-Williams can not be reshirted; last year was his redshirt year.  This is 3rd year in "college" and this is second playing.

That being said, Yawke should play now.  He will learn more by being on the court in real games and he will better bond will his fellow Frosh which helps in the long run.  Sima and Musse have developed a positive relationship as seen during/after the games.  Yawke can be part of this group by being on the floor with them rather than being in sweats on the bench.  The future is now!  All we need is  nickname for Yawke. 

He's smooth like KY

derk

« Reply #115 on: November 26, 2015, 03:36:54 PM »
We are not in any position to turn down help. Look at all the injuries we've sustained already. To worry about 4 -5 years from now is folly. Worry about Fordham with Yakwe.

redslope

« Reply #116 on: November 26, 2015, 04:13:30 PM »
THANK YOU BILL SELF

read today's NT Times article by Joe Nocera who normally writes a column in the business section.  He exposes the hypocrits at the NCAA for what they
have done to Diallo and Yak.  They are disgusting pigs who had nothing and ended this by saying the punishment was a few game and a money fine ($240 for Yak and $160 for Diallo--those are the actual amounts-how PETTY--but no discussion for what other than for "extra benefits").  You can read the article by going to the NY Times website or some fellow poster can post it here as I am technologically challenged to do it.

God only knows what is behind Marcus' issues with these a$$holes. 

Also OSL while on a watch list has NEVER been visited--some watching,

Poison

« Reply #117 on: November 26, 2015, 04:15:57 PM »
THANK YOU BILL SELF

read today's NT Times article by Joe Nocera who normally writes a column in the business section.  He exposes the hypocrits at the NCAA for what they
have done to Diallo and Yak.  They are disgusting pigs who had nothing and ended this by saying the punishment was a few game and a money fine ($240 for Yak and $160 for Diallo--those are the actual amounts-how PETTY--but no discussion for what other than for "extra benefits").  You can read the article by going to the NY Times website or some fellow poster can post it here as I am technologically challenged to do it.

God only knows what is behind Marcus' issues with these a$$holes. 

Also OSL while on a watch list has NEVER been visited--some watching,

I'm sure STJ is working hard every day towards getting LoVett eligible.

Marillac

« Reply #118 on: November 26, 2015, 05:55:29 PM »
I honestly can't believe people are even suggesting redshirting him.  We had 6 scholarship players yesterday.  If Williams' injury lingers we have one legit big man and then Alibegovic.  Yakwe could get invaluable experience playing in the BE this year with his teammates without the pressure of needing to be perfect.  The experience this year will be great, he will be happier, and the potential success and foundation will be much easier for recruits and their advisors to see with yakwe on the court and likely showing obvious improvement over the course of the year.

Do you really think it's that crazy?  There is certainly merit to playing him now, but there are also plenty of good reasons to redshirt him.  He's missed 25% of the season and Jones, Balamou, and Alibegovic have played well at the four in Williams' absence.  M'vouika as well.  For this season, I don't see Yakwe as much of an upgrade...maybe 15 mpg and 4 pts and 5 boards.  In terms of wins,  there might not be any change.

What really worries me is the roster imbalance.  You can't lose six guys in one year to graduation.  Do we really have to go through this every four years and have the least experienced team in America the following year?  You have to make a sacrifice at some point to end that cycle.  We're set to lose six players to graduation alone in four years.  Good programs try not to lose more than 2-3 players to graduation per year. If we land Freudenberg and Ahmed, we'll likely lose ten guys in two years (9 to graduation and Freudenberg likely to the NBA or Europe).  You don't "reload' from that.  You rebuild.  We could have only one ship to hand out in 2017 and that puts a lot of pressure on the staff to land a home run big man.  They simply can't miss or they will have to replace their top 3-4 bigs with juco band-aids and underclassmen.  Bigs take longer to develop than guards.  I'd feel much better about Yakwe playing now if we had a 2016 big man to groom.

We can't just take the "it will work itself out" stance, because sometimes it doesn't.  Norm's 10-man class is the perfect example.  When Norm signed Thomas, Kennedy, Horne, Boothe, Burrell, Coker and Evans, we all assumed attrition would occur naturally.  Not only did all of those guys stay four year, the class actually got bigger (Hardy and Brownlee). 

I don't want to be back in this situation or 2011-2012 again and that looks all but inevitable when then freshmen graduate.

MCNPA

« Reply #119 on: November 26, 2015, 07:01:33 PM »
Losing six guys isn't that bad.  It's not like replacing a ten man class nor even what Mullin had to step into this past year, especially with recruiters like Slice and Abdelmassih here.  A lot will happen over the next 4 years so imo it's of little concern right now.