Amir Garrett - SF - Findlay Prep - Las Vegas, NV - ST. JOHN'S

• 772 replies

pmg911

Re: Amir Garrett - SF - Findlay Prep - Las Vegas, NV - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #660 on: September 30, 2011, 10:28:35 AM »
I would think he is too old to play @ IS8...

MCNPA

« Reply #661 on: September 30, 2011, 10:33:31 AM »
I'd like to see a tweet that reads "studying all weekend. Man I miss basketball, but I've learned that studying means focusing on my classes in my free time, and not playing any basketball until I'm qualified to play D1 ball"

Amir,

We don't all feel like this guy.  Kill it at IS8 and see you in December!!!  Love this kid.

No doubt, we all want to see him playing top notch ball at Is8.  Nothing wrong with pulling for the kid off the court so we can actually see him in a SJU uniform.  Crazy as it might be, adding Amir this mid-season and we could have a really solid group even though we're still several guys short.  Amir coming on board THIS season would really help his development entering next year.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 10:35:01 AM by MCNPA »

MCNPA

« Reply #662 on: September 30, 2011, 10:36:06 AM »
I would think he is too old to play @ IS8...

Is 18 or 19 too old toplay there?  Don't think so.

« Reply #663 on: September 30, 2011, 11:11:58 AM »
any chance we can get amir, pelle, and sampson on campus for midnight madness?  we are recruiting them...  would be nice for them to reconnect with teammates.

Moose

« Reply #664 on: September 30, 2011, 11:22:10 AM »
any chance we can get amir, pelle, and sampson on campus for midnight madness?  we are recruiting them...  would be nice for them to reconnect with teammates.

No because Poison wants them to never leave the library :)
Remember who broke the Slice news

Poison

« Reply #665 on: September 30, 2011, 12:08:55 PM »
If it was your kid, and he was supposed to graduate in May, and then failed to graduate after summer school, would you make some changes, or leave everything status quo?

Which approach do you feel will get the results that Amir needs, that St.John's needs and that the NCAA needs to see?

Moose

« Reply #666 on: September 30, 2011, 12:20:53 PM »
If it was your kid, and he was supposed to graduate in May, and then failed to graduate after summer school, would you make some changes, or leave everything status quo?

Which approach do you feel will get the results that Amir needs, that St.John's needs and that the NCAA needs to see?

Your making your assertions with a broad brushstroke when meanwhile none of us are privy to specifics.  And again your failing to accept that these kids graduated high school.  Kids can graduate high school and be accepted to Harvard to play sports but still for some zany reason not be cleared by NCAA clearinghouse.  But you have your opinion and there is no changing that, so carry on! :)

« Reply #667 on: September 30, 2011, 12:42:35 PM »

Poison-He did graduate.  This is not about graduation.

And anyone who followed Amir's recruitment and especially after he was drafted should know how much he LOVES Lavin and SJU.  The fact he is doing everything to play at SJU even after he got a fat contract with the Reds should be prime evidence of this assertion.

I am not an apologist for these guys, I am disappointed they allowed themselves to be put in a position where they needed summer school to qualify.  But trust me Garrett wants to be at SJU and this IS8 trip is not going to be an issue with regards to that.

Marillac

« Reply #668 on: September 30, 2011, 02:16:44 PM »
Getting Amir qualified would mean a lot.  Not only are we small, but we are thin on the bench as well, which means we really can't even go crazy pressing and running unless the coach really trusts the LIU transfer to give 10 mpg.  Garrett would be able to play undersized pf ala Polee and a trio of Garrett, Pointer, and Harkless up front could mitigate the damage playing without a center would bring.  the added depth and another strong defender would really change things out there as well.

« Reply #669 on: September 30, 2011, 03:04:20 PM »
Trust me I want Amir eligible in Dec and we really need him but he alone is not going to make the difference in wins vs top 10 BE teams and Duke and Ucla. Would also need Pelle and maybe even Jakarr to have a chance to beat the really good teams. We need some height and depth very badly and don't think we will get it from even an army of walk-ons.

ras

« Reply #670 on: September 30, 2011, 06:02:18 PM »
I love his work ethic and enthusiasm I also love the fact that it is clear he wants to go to SJU, not even a rumor of another school. I believe he will be here in Dec. His presence provides another talented foward which will give us some much needed breathing room.

Marillac

« Reply #671 on: September 30, 2011, 06:10:55 PM »
Trust me I want Amir eligible in Dec and we really need him but he alone is not going to make the difference in wins vs top 10 BE teams and Duke and Ucla. Would also need Pelle and maybe even Jakarr to have a chance to beat the really good teams. We need some height and depth very badly and don't think we will get it from even an army of walk-ons.

That is a pretty negative attitude.  I thought we'd be around .500 this year and a top 10 contender next, before all of this.  We have some damn talented guards.  I couldn't disagree with you more that the addition of Garrett doesn't give is a chance to beat top 10 conference foes. Every extra Big East caliber athlete we add from the six on the roster is HUGE.

« Reply #672 on: September 30, 2011, 07:31:56 PM »
Getting Amir qualified would mean a lot.  Not only are we small, but we are thin on the bench as well, which means we really can't even go crazy pressing and running unless the coach really trusts the LIU transfer to give 10 mpg.  Garrett would be able to play undersized pf ala Polee and a trio of Garrett, Pointer, and Harkless up front could mitigate the damage playing without a center would bring.  the added depth and another strong defender would really change things out there as well.

I may be wrong but I think Amir played in the post most of the time at Findley prep. The big east features much bigger players but he may have the instincts already to maybe steal a few minutes to give GG and Harkless some rest. That is of course if he can get here in December

Moose

« Reply #673 on: September 30, 2011, 07:33:37 PM »

I may be wrong but I think Amir played in the post most of the time at Findley prep. The big east features much bigger players but he may have the instincts already to maybe steal a few minutes to give GG and Harkless some rest. That is of course if he can get here in December

He was indeed the starting PF for Findlay.

« Reply #674 on: September 30, 2011, 10:38:43 PM »

That is a pretty negative attitude.  I thought we'd be around .500 this year and a top 10 contender next, before all of this.  We have some damn talented guards.  I couldn't disagree with you more that the addition of Garrett doesn't give is a chance to beat top 10 conference foes. Every extra Big East caliber athlete we add from the six on the roster is HUGE.
It's not a negative attitude it is my opinion. We need some bigs and muscle to compete with the elite teams we play. There is a big difference between Findley Prep (HS ball) and the best teams in D1-for those of you thinking Amir can play PF against this level of comp and against much bigger and brawnier players well in my OPINION you are deluding yourselves.

ras

« Reply #675 on: September 30, 2011, 10:57:40 PM »
  He doesnt have to play PF. His presence allows GG, Pointer and Harkless to play the 4,5 positions.

Poison

« Reply #676 on: September 30, 2011, 11:45:14 PM »
Jesus, Harkless is not a 4. Neither is Pointer.

crgreen

« Reply #677 on: October 01, 2011, 02:04:41 AM »

UCLA fan here.   Neither was Ed O'Bannon.   That worked out okay for Asst. Coach Lav's.....Before Ed, it was Tracy Murray.  That worked out okay too.  Later, Steve played Toby Bailey, Jaron Rush,  Dijon Thompson, Jason Kapono and Matt Barnes at PF....

« Reply #678 on: October 01, 2011, 02:26:57 AM »

UCLA fan here.   Neither was Ed O'Bannon.   That worked out okay for Asst. Coach Lav's.....Before Ed, it was Tracy Murray.  That worked out okay too.  Later, Steve played Toby Bailey, Jaron Rush,  Dijon Thompson, Jason Kapono and Matt Barnes at PF....

My opinion has always been you play your best playes regardless of position. A center who is no good is less of a factor than a small forward who can play.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

MCNPA

« Reply #679 on: October 01, 2011, 08:39:04 AM »

Harkless has played the 4 before and can.  He's a big forward with skills.  He can be a dynamic 4-man and will have to be this season.