Amir Garrett - SF - Findlay Prep - Las Vegas, NV - ST. JOHN'S

• 772 replies
Re: Amir Garrett - SF - Findlay Prep - Las Vegas, NV - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #680 on: October 01, 2011, 09:02:39 AM »
so how did he play last night?

sju89tr

« Reply #681 on: October 01, 2011, 10:02:32 AM »
Jesus, Harkless is not a 4. Neither is Pointer.

UCLA fan here.   Neither was Ed O'Bannon.   That worked out okay for Asst. Coach Lav's.....Before Ed, it was Tracy Murray.  That worked out okay too.  Later, Steve played Toby Bailey, Jaron Rush,  Dijon Thompson, Jason Kapono and Matt Barnes at PF....

I agree with you as I watched those teams here in LA, only difference between STJ and UCLA during those years is that UCLA had a full arsenal of those players and we are a bit shorthanded right now.   

Marillac

« Reply #682 on: October 01, 2011, 10:06:55 AM »

And Randy Foye was?  How a out 6'6 Lazar Hayward of Marquette--a blatant sf. What a out 6'6 190 Polee and 6'7 218 Jb2 as our starting front court last year.  If we play 6'6 6'5/6'6 and 6'8 together for ten minutes a game while GG rests, it isn't the end of the world.  Both Greene and Harrison rebound exceptionally well for their positions which will be huge in a zone.

boo3

« Reply #683 on: October 01, 2011, 10:20:30 AM »

And Randy Foye was?  How a out 6'6 Lazar Hayward of Marquette--a blatant sf. What a out 6'6 190 Polee and 6'7 218 Jb2 as our starting front court last year.  If we play 6'6 6'5/6'6 and 6'8 together for ten minutes a game while GG rests, it isn't the end of the world.  Both Greene and Harrison rebound exceptionally well for their positions which will be huge in a zone.

This year is basically a throw away as far as wins and losses.  The youngsters will gain valuable experience playing tons of minutes all season long against top ranked competition.  Lets not get overly worried about who's playing what position. Hopefully GG can stay on the court and bang.  He's a big dude.  Harkless and Pointer will average 5 rpg  hopefully, each. 

« Reply #684 on: October 02, 2011, 09:37:23 AM »
I know not to read much into their tweets  But Amir comitted & confident to be here in Dec.

Amir yesterday:
"All my St. Johns fans I'm letting y'all know I'll be ready come December, I'm focused, don't worry I'll be there!!!"
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 09:40:28 AM by stevep502 »
Molloy '71

Poison

« Reply #685 on: October 02, 2011, 10:20:59 AM »
These guys are all going to have to be NBA talents just to compete this year.

crgreen

« Reply #686 on: October 02, 2011, 10:56:03 AM »

No, they just have to be very good college players.  For crying out loud, if you think this team is going to have SEVEN NBA talents in the lineup next year, you should be predicting National Champions, not "Just competing".....

Question for SJU historians.  Have you ever had a Roster with SEVEN future NBA players?

« Reply #687 on: October 02, 2011, 11:02:17 AM »

No, they just have to be very good college players.  For crying out loud, if you think this team is going to have SEVEN NBA talents in the lineup next year, you should be predicting National Champions, not "Just competing".....

Question for SJU historians.  Have you ever had a Roster with SEVEN future NBA players?

'85, but not all them played.
Chris Mullin - 1st round '85
Bill Wennington - 1st round '85
Walter Berry - 1st round '86
Ron Rowan- 3rd round '86
Mark Jackson - 1st round '87
Willie Glass - 3rd round '87
Shelton Jones - 2nd round '88
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

ras

« Reply #688 on: October 02, 2011, 11:57:48 AM »
That team also had 3 all americans, Mullin 85 Wooden award, Berry 86 I believe also Wooden award, and Jackson 87.

« Reply #689 on: October 02, 2011, 03:14:32 PM »

Still there is the factor of lack of depth my dear boy DEPTH!

« Reply #690 on: October 02, 2011, 03:16:25 PM »
so how did he play last night?
Who woke you up? Why don't you tell us? Oh that's right you are isolated out on the east end never to be seen or heard from again. What a pal!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 03:17:34 PM by Celtics11 »

crgreen

« Reply #691 on: October 02, 2011, 06:23:22 PM »

FWIW, John Wooden won half of his 10 titles with 7 man rotations... :)

« Reply #692 on: October 02, 2011, 06:25:09 PM »

The best 7 man rotation money can buy

crgreen

« Reply #693 on: October 02, 2011, 06:33:05 PM »

The best 7 man rotation money can buy

If that's a Sam Gilbert refernce, Wooden had won 3 NCAA titles in 4 years before Sam came on the scene....You lost Lew to Ralph Bunche and Rafer Johnson, not Sam Gilbert

MCNPA

« Reply #694 on: October 02, 2011, 07:18:14 PM »
Well the tourney was less rounds, so... ;)

crgreen

« Reply #695 on: October 02, 2011, 08:46:12 PM »
Well the tourney was less rounds, so... ;)

so...no early round Colonial Conference teams to pad your record against?   :)

ras

« Reply #696 on: October 02, 2011, 08:52:07 PM »
Carneseca also rarely substituted, he liked going with his starters. Our team this year is not deep and young but they do have talent.

« Reply #697 on: October 03, 2011, 12:51:52 AM »

40 years ago-now everyone plays alot of people and teams run more and more action resulting in more fouls. It is not a walk it up and with no shot clock just pass the ball around the perimeter. But hey you all think lack of depth is an asset so I guess we will see how ::) that all works out for us soon. Who needs Pelle, Garrett and Sampson right fellas. Let's go with an iron man 5 and redshirt a couple of our freshmen. Let's pretend it is the 1920's.

Poison

« Reply #698 on: October 03, 2011, 09:32:31 AM »

Does anyone actually think they are not going to suffer injuries? We'll have at least 2 guys go down at the same time for long stretches. Lavin is going to have to find a way to get more bodies out there. And let me once again, reiterate my excitement for the high school basketball games that Amir Garrett played in this past weekend. Great news. Really great. Awesome actually.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 09:33:53 AM by Poison »

Moose

« Reply #699 on: October 03, 2011, 10:29:00 AM »

Does anyone actually think they are not going to suffer injuries? We'll have at least 2 guys go down at the same time for long stretches. Lavin is going to have to find a way to get more bodies out there. And let me once again, reiterate my excitement for the high school basketball games that Amir Garrett played in this past weekend. Great news. Really great. Awesome actually.

Your sarcasm is uncanny.
Remember who broke the Slice news