Can this team be top 5 in BE next year?

• 48 replies

Marillac

Re: Can this team be top 5 in BE next year?
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2015, 01:25:40 AM »
I agree with Baldi.  5-7.
We were fifth the last two seasons and that was with a ton of veterans and experience.  I think Mullin even as a first year head coach offers us a step up in strategy and stability in leadership, but that won't be enough in its own.

I think getting to the tournament is an excellent goal for this team, and if they make it to the bubble but fall short I wouldn't call that a disappointment.

Six or seven would be very disappointing IMO.  Besides us, there are four solid tournament teams going in (Nova, Butler, Gtown, and  to a lesser degree, Xavier).  The next tier is young and lacking somewhere.  Providence will be starting four underclassmen.  Marquette will only have one senior in the main rotation and will likely be starting two freshmen--without a proven PG. SH doesn't have a proven PG and will be starting at least four underclassmen.

I think you're sleeping on Marquette, but on second thought you may be right that 7 is low and probably would qualify as a disappointment. 
Better stated, I think we'll be 4-6.   4 a good year, 5 about what I expect, and 6 just below that.   
I think adding another guard who can contribute right away though would go a long way toward making 4 or 5th more likely.   And I actually don't see a big difference whether rysheed is pg or sg in title.  Add missing/Lovett or carter ...either way find a guard who can contribute.

Marquette doesn't have a proven PG.  They are going to start a true freshman, Traci Carter (Malik's teammate).  Not impressive.  He can shoot, but he doesn't control the game well and he's not a dominating scorer either.  He's going to be going up against Dunn, Arch/Brunson, Jordan, Whitehead, DSR, Tyler Lewis, and Garrett JR.  They will be strong up front with Fischer and Ellenson, but they will have one of the weaker backcourts in the conference.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 03:45:57 AM by Marillac »

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2015, 02:55:03 AM »
Top 5? I think we can, I think we can, I think we can. My concern is we will be basically throwing a whole new team together that hasn't played together and with a new coach for everybody. Anyway I'm looking forward to it and it should be a very interesting season with promise of an even brighter future.

Wods317

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2015, 06:44:11 AM »
I think we will be top 5. I just don't think the league is super talented as a whole this year. Nova and Gtown will be very good again but other then that its a toss up. I think people are overrating PC a little bit, Dunn is great but losing Derosiers and Henton is tough. Seton Hall will be just okay again I think. Marquette has a great class coming in but they are all freshman, how soon will they mesh and mature. Xavier should be good again as well as Butler. Creighton and DePaul I think will struggle again. The same question goes for us, we have a lot of new players in the rotation. I think a top 9 of Jordan, Obepka, Johnson, Ellison, Williams, Sima, M'Vouika, Amar, and Lovett/Mussini is as talented as any of those middle of the pack teams. My guess, we finish 4th.

Marillac

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2015, 07:00:31 AM »
I think we will be top 5. I just don't think the league is super talented as a whole this year. Nova and Gtown will be very good again but other then that its a toss up. I think people are overrating PC a little bit, Dunn is great but losing Derosiers and Henton is tough. Seton Hall will be just okay again I think. Marquette has a great class coming in but they are all freshman, how soon will they mesh and mature. Xavier should be good again as well as Butler. Creighton and DePaul I think will struggle again. The same question goes for us, we have a lot of new players in the rotation. I think a top 9 of Jordan, Obepka, Johnson, Ellison, Williams, Sima, M'Vouika, Amar, and Lovett/Mussini is as talented as any of those middle of the pack teams. My guess, we finish 4th.

This could be a down year compared to last year if a few teams from the bottom half don't step up.  I think we'll get five in max this year.  Four is a possibility.

Poison

« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2015, 08:44:26 AM »
Top 3.

I second.  Top 3.  We will surprise everybody.  We are very big, have lots of shooters, plenty of experienced players and will land 2 more ballers.  I'm good with everybody underestimating.  2 starters back, Durand is equal to any starter we have had.  Our new talent doesn't have the weaknesses of the past.  We won't lack height nor shooting.  Top 3-4.  I think picture will be clearer when we land next two which will probably be Larrier and a PG.

My top 3 prediction hinges on whether or not we land Mussini or another solid guard who can score. But, regardless, I think we will at least be competitive.

I think w Mussini or Lovett, we still finish one spot above Depaul.

« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2015, 09:53:56 AM »
Mullin is already working with Rysheed.  Obekpa will step up.  I have seen none of the newcomers, so it's hard to say. Given the anticipated progress of the first two, I don't think top three is out of the question.

TONYD3

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2015, 10:42:38 AM »
I am happy with the job Mullin is doing. I think Lavin would have brought players in. We changed coaches because we wanted a upgrade January- March. I expect to be good. If you believe in the coaches like you all say. We are going to be good. 

« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2015, 10:51:38 AM »
I am happy with the job Mullin is doing. I think Lavin would have brought players in. We changed coaches because we wanted a upgrade January- March. I expect to be good. If you believe in the coaches like you all say. We are going to be good. 

He would have brought players in when? It was too late, damage done

TONYD3

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2015, 11:11:25 AM »
Not talking in about Lavin. I want to win. If u believe in the staff. U believe they are better. No more starting walkons. No more Blowouts vs nova or anyone else .

hnk

« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2015, 11:50:39 AM »
Hopeful and excited, but i think many of us  need a dose of reality and lowered expectations.

More question marks than answers.   The team looks like a hospital ward.   Obeckpa and Jordan get injured regularly.

Johnson just back from suspension and injury.  Williams - two bum shoulders.  Ellison - broken bone.  Missouri State - injury.

Owens not available this year.    Sima hasn't signed the dotted line yet and who knows how much he can contribute this year.

Team chemistry?  Who knows.

No back up point guard yet.

Big East probably a down year.

Still all in all it's a great first month even without Sampson and Diallo.

« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2015, 12:04:01 PM »
What do you guys think?

If we get Larrier and a top PG like Mussini then why not, Maui would be step one.  I really really want KU and Diallo.

You really want to play Kansas? hopefully we see them in the finals of the Maui tournament. Be careful what you wish for.  I see the team finishing 5th.  Depends who we give the final scholarships to.  the success of the team also depends on the chemistry.  Alot of these guys have not played with each other yet so I believe the success this year will be how much the team gels together.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 12:04:27 PM by redstorm89 »

« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2015, 12:04:26 PM »
Not talking in about Lavin. I want to win. If u believe in the staff. U believe they are better. No more starting walkons. No more Blowouts vs nova or anyone else .
Even really good teams suffer blowouts sometimes, it happens. Stop the nonsense.

sju89tr

« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2015, 12:31:49 PM »
I am hoping for 5 in Big East (9-9) and perhaps 17 wins. Can't ask for more.

« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2015, 02:14:17 PM »
Maybe.

QuanMan

« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2015, 02:50:53 PM »
Add Papa and Lovett and we're top 3. Carter/Lovett top 5.

10 years from now people will look back at the time BGJr., Sheed, and Dunn were all juniors together in the BE and will say WOW.

Marquette's recruiting class is superb, I like their wings Casey, Wilson and Anderson already, they are going to surprise.
Section 3
Section 116

derk

« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2015, 04:16:27 PM »
Top 3.

I second.  Top 3.  We will surprise everybody.  We are very big, have lots of shooters, plenty of experienced players and will land 2 more ballers.  I'm good with everybody underestimating.  2 starters back, Durand is equal to any starter we have had.  Our new talent doesn't have the weaknesses of the past.  We won't lack height nor shooting.  Top 3-4.  I think picture will be clearer when we land next two which will probably be Larrier and a PG.
As was stated Larrier has to sit out a year.

desco80

« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2015, 05:14:36 PM »
Mullin is already working with Rysheed.  Obekpa will step up.

2 hours per week.  That's how much on -court contact the staff can have with players right now. 
I spend more than two hours per week on the bowl.

Players who improve in the offseason take it upon themselves to go see trainers, attend skills camps, and play in summer leagues. 

« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2015, 05:22:22 PM »
Mullin is already working with Rysheed.  Obekpa will step up.

2 hours per week.  That's how much on -court contact the staff can have with players right now. 
I spend more than two hours per week on the bowl.

you might want to eat more fiber :)

« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2015, 05:47:08 PM »
Hopeful and excited, but i think many of us  need a dose of reality and lowered expectations.

More question marks than answers.   The team looks like a hospital ward.   Obeckpa and Jordan get injured regularly.

Johnson just back from suspension and injury.  Williams - two bum shoulders.  Ellison - broken bone.  Missouri State - injury.

Owens not available this year.    Sima hasn't signed the dotted line yet and who knows how much he can contribute this year.

Team chemistry?  Who knows.

No back up point guard yet.

Big East probably a down year.

Still all in all it's a great first month even without Sampson and Diallo.

agree completely.  and with all due respect to coach mullin, it's going to take him time to get a rhythm.  i think 6/7 in BE is realistic.