Thon Maker - C - Carlisle HS - Australia

• 203 replies

Tha Kid

Re: Thon Maker - C - Carlisle HS - Australia
« Reply #80 on: November 17, 2015, 03:20:44 PM »
I am not a huge fan of Thon in the big scheme, but I would certainly be happy to have him at SJU.   Its seems like an odd recruit to have interest in SJU. I wonder what the connection is.  My only guess would be Mullin's relationship with Manute Bol, who was well regarded in Thon's native Sudan.

We
I am not a huge fan of Thon in the big scheme, but I would certainly be happy to have him at SJU.   Its seems like an odd recruit to have interest in SJU. I wonder what the connection is.  My only guess would be Mullin's relationship with Manute Bol, who was well regarded in Thon's native Sudan.

Were Slice or Matt recruiting him at UK and ISU, respectively?  Or perhaps the international flavor of our team?  Just throwing random thoughts out there
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #81 on: November 17, 2015, 03:50:54 PM »

Why not? Thon fits in any scheme. He runs rim to rim like a maniac and plays incredibly hard. Much like Cheick Diallo but bigger. Connection is Slice and Ed Smith, Thon's guardian. I think it's a long shot he ever suits up for college game. Interesting how Evan positioned this tweet with a bias towards ASU. He's really close with ASU assistant Brian Merritt. However I would consider ASU the favorite as they've been in there from day 1.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #82 on: November 17, 2015, 07:27:33 PM »

Why not? Thon fits in any scheme. He runs rim to rim like a maniac and plays incredibly hard. Much like Cheick Diallo but bigger. Connection is Slice and Ed Smith, Thon's guardian. I think it's a long shot he ever suits up for college game. Interesting how Evan positioned this tweet with a bias towards ASU. He's really close with ASU assistant Brian Merritt. However I would consider ASU the favorite as they've been in there from day 1.
Agree Dave, perhaps you should have asked Marillac what his "big scheme" is.  :)

Marillac

« Reply #83 on: November 18, 2015, 03:27:59 AM »

Agree Dave, perhaps you should have asked Marillac what his "big scheme" is.  :)

NBA future relative to his hype.

I like my centers to rebound and stay near the basket.  I don't want to see jumpers and dribbling. 

« Reply #84 on: November 18, 2015, 04:13:57 AM »

I like my centers to rebound and stay near the basket.  I don't want to see jumpers and dribbling. 

You see the jumpers and dribbling on highlight reels because 7 footers who handle and shoot get a ton of views. You're getting 8-12 games condensed into 3 min and not a true reflection of what he really does. 

In reality Thon is busting his ass in the paint fighting for position, grabbing rebounds, and eating at the rim. He can grab and go, he has range to 3 point line, and he can pull up but he doesn't do this at a high enough % to do it all the time. He's embraced playing inside while keeping everyone honest from the perimeter.

As for his NBA potential it's not hype, it's real. He's a skilled 7 footer and barring injury he is NBA bound.

« Reply #85 on: November 18, 2015, 08:14:04 AM »
Did I miss something?  I don't see us on his "list".

paultzman

« Reply #86 on: November 18, 2015, 08:22:07 AM »

True, don't seem on momentum side of equation.

Tha Kid

« Reply #87 on: November 18, 2015, 09:06:53 AM »

So you are not a Kevin Garnett fan ?

Marillac

« Reply #88 on: November 18, 2015, 09:19:26 AM »

I like Kevin Garnett a lot but it's because of how he's played around the basket his whole career. 

Marillac

« Reply #89 on: November 18, 2015, 09:23:57 AM »

You see the jumpers and dribbling on highlight reels because 7 footers who handle and shoot get a ton of views. You're getting 8-12 games condensed into 3 min and not a true reflection of what he really does. 

In reality Thon is busting his ass in the paint fighting for position, grabbing rebounds, and eating at the rim. He can grab and go, he has range to 3 point line, and he can pull up but he doesn't do this at a high enough % to do it all the time. He's embraced playing inside while keeping everyone honest from the perimeter.

As for his NBA potential it's not hype, it's real. He's a skilled 7 footer and barring injury he is NBA bound.

He said he wants to be like Durant and Kobe.  I hate hearing that from big kids.  The hype around him has been huge for a few years.  I think he'll definitely make the NBA and stick, but I do not see him anywhere near as good as Durant or Garnett.  Which is admittedly a very tough comparison.

To be honest, I've never been a huge fan of Durant either.  I've always argued that Harden was the first guy I'd want from that old OKC trio.

« Reply #90 on: November 18, 2015, 10:37:23 AM »

I like Kevin Garnett a lot but it's because of how he's played around the basket his whole career. 

Kevin Garnett elbow extended, top of key jumper is a staple of his game.

https://youtu.be/sZzYYjz5eXI

« Reply #91 on: November 18, 2015, 10:41:14 AM »

He said he wants to be like Durant and Kobe.  I hate hearing that from big kids.  The hype around him has been huge for a few years.  I think he'll definitely make the NBA and stick, but I do not see him anywhere near as good as Durant or Garnett.  Which is admittedly a very tough comparison.

To be honest, I've never been a huge fan of Durant either.  I've always argued that Harden was the first guy I'd want from that old OKC trio.

I wanted to be Michael Jordan and Penny Hardaway. Doesn't mean my game was a replica of their. You're comparing him to a league MVP and HOF player so yes that is lofty.

Getting back to the point of all this is Thon is more than what you see on a mixtape. I wish I could cut up some raw footage from synergy to post here.

« Reply #92 on: November 18, 2015, 10:42:36 AM »

Tha Kid

« Reply #93 on: November 18, 2015, 11:10:10 AM »

Kevin Garnett elbow extended, top of key jumper is a staple of his game.

https://youtu.be/sZzYYjz5eXI

Thank you Dave.  As a huge celtics fan, I can tell you the KG 18 footer is as reliable a shot as you can hope anyone takes, and he constanly was playing outside.  The big knock on KG when he was younger was always that he didnt play inside enough on offense and didnt want to take the big shot (despite his rebounding prowess).  Heck KG refused to call himself 7 feet (instead often saying I'm 6 foot 12) because he didnt want to be forced to play down low.

Not saying Thon is KG, but KG is a perfect example of a 7 footer who liked to play outside...and is one of the generation's greats.

Another example of his 18 footer (further than Dave's and one of KG's patented pick and pops):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-ptY8iUKWQ
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 11:12:39 AM by Tha Kid »

« Reply #94 on: November 18, 2015, 02:44:19 PM »

On there...

https://twitter.com/jeffborzello/status/664951124332560386

Newsman is referring to this.... 

http://www.scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/story/1612898-thon-maker-sets-official-visit-to-asu

By the way, I witnessed Maker in action during the summer of '14, and he can mix it up in the paint.

« Reply #95 on: November 18, 2015, 02:54:36 PM »

On there...

https://twitter.com/jeffborzello/status/664951124332560386

Newsman is referring to this.... 

http://www.scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/story/1612898-thon-maker-sets-official-visit-to-asu

By the way, I witnessed Maker in action during the summer of '14, and he can mix it up in the paint.

I don't see a list in that article.

« Reply #96 on: December 06, 2015, 03:28:26 PM »
New artlice on Zagsblog

https://www.sny.tv/college-recruiting/news/thon-maker-could-wait-until-august-for-decision-on-future/158930614

Reading the quotes here and between the lines...seems we're not really much in the hunt.   Seems more and more of a longshot and if so, a one and done..  Rather see the recruiters put any effort elsewhere (but no complaints if he does land !!).

« Reply #97 on: December 06, 2015, 04:34:16 PM »
With a decision coming as late as August would think we are the favorites as we specialize in long waits for commitments.  ;) :)

« Reply #98 on: December 13, 2015, 10:04:44 AM »
Check out @KyleTucker_CJ's Tweet: https://twitter.com/KyleTucker_CJ/status/675886451809230848?s=09

Thon Maker reiterates UK not really involved anymore. Says Kansas, Indiana, Notre Dame, St. John's in the mix.

Writer Later posted he forgot to include Arizona St. too
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #99 on: December 13, 2015, 01:38:46 PM »
In recent zags article ponds said he was workin on maker, As wel as few others
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.