Shamorie Ponds, G, Jefferson HS, NYC - ST JOHN'S

• 835 replies

pmg911

Re: Shamorie Ponds, G, Jefferson HS, NYC - ST JOHN'S
« Reply #460 on: September 28, 2015, 12:45:14 PM »
FREE WILLIE

« Reply #461 on: September 28, 2015, 01:49:31 PM »
Big week.  Ahmed with a great visit.  Ponds tomorrow.

Matty going to see the German kid.  And Lightfoot makes his official visit this weekend.

Or like some posters here would think, Ponds pops for Creighton, Bash to Louisville, German kid turns pro in Europe and Lightfoot says thanks but going to Kansas. lol

« Reply #462 on: September 28, 2015, 01:50:59 PM »

Poison

« Reply #463 on: September 28, 2015, 02:09:49 PM »

Matty going to see the German kid.  And Lightfoot makes his official visit this weekend.

Or like some posters here would think, Ponds pops for Creighton, Bash to Louisville, German kid turns pro in Europe and Lightfoot says thanks but going to Kansas. lol

It's not that some posters would think that. They've lived it.

« Reply #464 on: September 28, 2015, 02:19:31 PM »

Or think of it from the vantage point of us 20 something fans, other than Lav, it's all we've ever known in recruiting haha. Back on topic. You lock up ponds, bash, freudenberg and lightfoot, get everybody eligible and we're talking about a very talented and deep team in a year or two. A guy can dream.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 02:20:20 PM by shaun1345 »

Poison

« Reply #465 on: September 28, 2015, 02:26:22 PM »

Or think of it from the vantage point of us 20 something fans, other than Lav, it's all we've ever known in recruiting haha. Back on topic. You lock up ponds, bash, freudenberg and lightfoot, get everybody eligible and we're talking about a very talented and deep team in a year or two. A guy can dream.

All things considered, Lav wasn't the worst recruiter out there. I think he intentionally avoided local talent, and I'm not even sure that was a bad strategy for him. It has always been the belief of our fan base, that we needed a local to recruit locals, and Lav was the farthest thing from that.

Ponds represents a change in mindset, and that mindset is St.John's gets their share. There is no coach at any level who would keep every recruit home. That is/was never a realistic plan, but in order to play St.John's basketball, we have to get our share.

Ponds is who Chris Mullin is here to land. This is the kind of local 4 player we haven't had in IDK how long.

« Reply #466 on: September 28, 2015, 02:43:20 PM »

All things considered, Lav wasn't the worst recruiter out there. I think he intentionally avoided local talent, and I'm not even sure that was a bad strategy for him. It has always been the belief of our fan base, that we needed a local to recruit locals, and Lav was the farthest thing from that.

Ponds represents a change in mindset, and that mindset is St.John's gets their share. There is no coach at any level who would keep every recruit home. That is/was never a realistic plan, but in order to play St.John's basketball, we have to get our share.

Ponds is who Chris Mullin is here to land. This is the kind of local 4 player we haven't had in IDK how long.

Local 4 star player:
Moe Harkless 2011.

Poison

« Reply #467 on: September 28, 2015, 02:49:16 PM »

Local 4 star player:
Moe Harkless 2011.

That was big when it happened. Funny how we thought that meant the end of Uconn.

pmg911

« Reply #468 on: September 28, 2015, 03:09:50 PM »

Local 4 star player:
Moe Harkless 2011.

Lavin & staff recruited KA & Briscoe has hard as humanly possible...  they went after the players they wanted to go after...

Also - the local NYC "talent" has been a little lacking in depth the previous few senior classes too...

« Reply #469 on: September 28, 2015, 03:20:02 PM »

Which is why I won't get all happy until he actually pops for SJU, forget these prediction.
I won't set myself up for disappointment anymore.

« Reply #470 on: September 28, 2015, 03:22:02 PM »

Local 4 star player:
Moe Harkless 2011.

Lavin & staff recruited KA & Briscoe has hard as humanly possible...  they went after the players they wanted to go after...

Also - the local NYC "talent" has been a little lacking in depth the previous few senior classes too...

The previous staff evaluated and offered Ponds almost a year ago.

paultzman

« Reply #471 on: September 28, 2015, 03:33:22 PM »

Local 4 star player:
Moe Harkless 2011.

The previous staff evaluated and offered Ponds almost a year ago.
True Dink. As you know, Tony Chiles saw him a number of times. Sid Wilson too.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 03:36:02 PM by paultzman »

TONYD3

« Reply #472 on: September 28, 2015, 04:01:02 PM »
Briscoe and Anderson were from new jersey which is close but not local in my mind. I want Ponds. He is the best player from our city.

Poison

« Reply #473 on: September 28, 2015, 05:46:42 PM »
Briscoe and Anderson were from new jersey which is close but not local in my mind. I want Ponds. He is the best player from our city.

Just asking, but is Ponds ranked as the best player in the city? Or would that still be Awkins even though he left?

« Reply #474 on: September 28, 2015, 06:13:02 PM »

NYC has been really depleted of talent for a number of years now. I'll even extend it to all of NY...

2015- Cheick Diallo (recruited), Thomas Bryant (he's crazy), Jessie Govan (wasn't interested), Tyler Lydon (no shot he was pure Cuse)
2014- Isaiah Whitehead (recruited), Chris McCullough (He preferred Cuse), Terry Larrier (you all know I liked him a lot), Angel Delgado (SHU did great job recruiting him), Khadeem Carrington (SHU was a better fit)
2103- Dakari Johnson (no shot), Jermaine Lawrence (was too crazy), Kentan Facey (project thin year for bigs)
2012- DaJuan Coleman (no shot), Omar Calhoun (him and DLO would have been too much personality), Chris Obekpa (got him), Mike Tobey (not a good fit), Melvin Johnson (would have recruited the hell out of him but had no space)
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #475 on: September 28, 2015, 06:19:52 PM »

Just asking, but is Ponds ranked as the best player in the city? Or would that still be Awkins even though he left?

Alkins is higher but different positions. Ponds will be electric with Lovett and Mussini. I don't want to get too lofty in my comparisons but their style of play would be reminiscent of Kyle Lowry, Randy Foye, and Mike Nardi. 3 quick guards who can all score and create off the dribble.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #476 on: September 28, 2015, 06:24:53 PM »
Lovett and Ponds both lefties too.

« Reply #477 on: September 28, 2015, 06:25:06 PM »

Alkins is higher but different positions. Ponds will be electric with Lovett and Mussini. I don't want to get too lofty in my comparisons but their style of play would be reminiscent of Kyle Lowry, Randy Foye, and Mike Nardi. 3 quick guards who can all score and create off the dribble.

I'll sign up for that, especially the results they had at nova.

« Reply #478 on: September 28, 2015, 06:50:57 PM »
Dave,

Or anyone with knowledge of the situation. Was McCullough ours at any point? I remember a post back in the day that McCullough really looked up to D-Buckets. Hardy was telling him SJU is great, keep the legacy going, etc. There was a perception that the previous staff was lackadaisical once they thought they had him.

Any truth to that? Thank you.

Poison

« Reply #479 on: September 28, 2015, 07:10:16 PM »

Thank you for the analysis. The video I saw of Ponds from May 2015, made me think of Erick Barkley - my favorite all time St.John's point guard. So, should he choose to stay home, I'm hopeful he'll do well here.