Shamorie Ponds, G, Jefferson HS, NYC - ST JOHN'S

• 835 replies
Re: Shamorie Ponds, G, Jefferson HS, NYC - ST JOHN'S
« Reply #600 on: November 18, 2015, 11:27:03 PM »
@NYPost_Brazille: St. John's has received the NLI from four-star guard Shamorie Ponds, I'm told. Huge start to the 2016 class. #sjubb

@NYPost_Brazille: With three scholarships still open, #sjubb has zeroed in on Bashir Ahmed and Richard Freudenberg as top targets.
Does this mean there are no more trips to Carolina scheduled?

paultzman

« Reply #601 on: November 19, 2015, 08:29:25 AM »
@NYPost_Brazille: St. John's has received the NLI from four-star guard Shamorie Ponds, I'm told. Huge start to the 2016 class. #sjubb

@NYPost_Brazille: With three scholarships still open, #sjubb has zeroed in on Bashir Ahmed and Richard Freudenberg as top targets.
Does this mean there are no more trips to Carolina scheduled?

It means IMO  the chances are very good of getting RF & BA. Doubt Maker is possible & Rawle remains in play, but a tough get.

SJU79

« Reply #602 on: November 19, 2015, 09:08:36 AM »
Talking with staff member last night my understanding is in line with above.....very confident with Bashir and Freudberg, both of which they described as highly skilled with the ability to score...Impression I got is forget Thon but Rawlie perhaps more in play then we think. Still worried about NC ST but they believe he has legit interest in coming

« Reply #604 on: November 19, 2015, 11:24:59 AM »
Shamorie along with his coach Lawrence "Bud" Pollard and several Jefferson teammates will be attending tomorrow's game against Rutgers. Let's make sure we give them a big St. John's welcome.

As long as two people politely clap it will qualify as a big St. John's welcome.  :)

Does that include you?

Marillac

« Reply #605 on: November 19, 2015, 12:37:58 PM »
Welcome aboard Shamorie!

Man, we are looking good for next year.  This staff really knows how to build a roster. 

« Reply #606 on: November 19, 2015, 06:58:29 PM »
Welcome Shamorie! That's going to be some back court next year.

Moose

« Reply #607 on: November 19, 2015, 07:11:33 PM »

Frontcourt isnt anything to sneeze at also.

Sima
Yakwe
Owens
Jones
Williams
Remember who broke the Slice news

MCNPA

« Reply #608 on: November 19, 2015, 07:57:38 PM »

Frontcourt isnt anything to sneeze at also.

Sima
Yakwe
Owens
Jones
Williams

Agree.  We will be good next year.  Loved what I saw of Owens early, and we will still be adding more for 2016.  Next year is when we start making bigger steps forward.

« Reply #609 on: November 20, 2015, 12:01:08 AM »
Talking with staff member last night my understanding is in line with above.....very confident with Bashir and Freudberg, both of which they described as highly skilled with the ability to score...Impression I got is forget Thon but Rawlie perhaps more in play then we think. Still worried about NC ST but they believe he has legit interest in coming

While I appreciate the info, I always worry when people attribute information to conversations with the staff.  I'm not sure what the specific restrictions are about private conversations, but there are rules against discussing potential recruits.  "Someone close to the program" might be a better way to put it.

« Reply #610 on: November 20, 2015, 12:44:22 AM »

While I appreciate the info, I always worry when people attribute information to conversations with the staff.  I'm not sure what the specific restrictions are about private conversations, but there are rules against discussing potential recruits.  "Someone close to the program" might be a better way to put it.
Believe rule is you cannot give any publicity to an unsigned recruit but pillow talk with your wife is allowed.

« Reply #611 on: November 20, 2015, 01:25:54 AM »

Agree....  I appreciate the info, but "sources" or "someone close to the program," as you mentioned, would be a good way of putting it.

Chilleb

« Reply #612 on: November 22, 2015, 03:41:12 PM »
Saw shamorie play last night, he's gonna have to do a lot before he really impacts the big east. Must transform his body, and learn to impact the game in other ways than scoring. Very good off the dribble but lack of strength makes him easily guard able by bigger defenders. Still think he is a good 4 year player but not a starter from day 1

paultzman

« Reply #613 on: November 22, 2015, 04:11:26 PM »
Saw shamorie play last night, he's gonna have to do a lot before he really impacts the big east. Must transform his body, and learn to impact the game in other ways than scoring. Very good off the dribble but lack of strength makes him easily guard able by bigger defenders. Still think he is a good 4 year player but not a starter from day 1

Agree on your prognosis for next year Chileb. How was his defense?

« Reply #614 on: November 22, 2015, 05:53:13 PM »

I'm not sure I agree there. While I think he'll benefit from added strength he doesn't require it to make an impact. I also think his role on Jefferson is to be the main scorer and to be their volume guy where he doesn't have to be at St. John's. He's a capable passer but make no mistake about it he's a gunner.

Also remember that time Kevin Durant couldn't bench press 185 lbs? Yea that was after college.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

hnk

« Reply #615 on: November 22, 2015, 06:22:20 PM »
I also think he has long arms and  can be very pesky on defense. While obviously a different body type than Roosevelt Jones....he is sort of similar in that he just get results you might not expect.

Chilleb

« Reply #616 on: November 22, 2015, 06:46:55 PM »

I'm not sure I agree there. While I think he'll benefit from added strength he doesn't require it to make an impact. I also think his role on Jefferson is to be the main scorer and to be their volume guy where he doesn't have to be at St. John's. He's a capable passer but make no mistake about it he's a gunner.

Also remember that time Kevin Durant couldn't bench press 185 lbs? Yea that was after college.

Kevin durant  is a freak of nature. I wouldn't necessarily use him as the best comparison Dave . He was the #2 pick in the draft. He was also 6'10 and averaged 10 plus boards. Shamorie actually dosent have to be the volume guy on his Highschool team. He plays with two other very good guards. One is Rasheen Dunn who is also a division 1 player. My thing is if the kid isn't scoring he has 0 affect on the game at this point and I think that assessment is fair and warranted. When your a top 45 recruit people may get the notion to think that he's going to be dynamite out of the gate. I see the kid a lot and this post was to temper expectations. He can shoot but by no means is he a dangelo Harrison type. He's streaky. He will be a good 4 year player. He's 6'0 and very slight. Learning to control tempo, defend his position and make everybody around you better is very important. What if the gunner has a bad shooting night. Then how will he help us win? The big east is the big east.

paultzman

« Reply #617 on: November 22, 2015, 07:00:46 PM »

Kevin durant  is a freak of nature. I wouldn't necessarily use him as the best comparison Dave . He was the #2 pick in the draft. He was also 6'10 and averaged 10 plus boards. Shamorie actually dosent have to be the volume guy on his Highschool team. He plays with two other very good guards. One is Rasheen Dunn who is also a division 1 player. My thing is if the kid isn't scoring he has 0 affect on the game at this point and I think that assessment is fair and warranted. When your a top 45 recruit people may get the notion to think that he's going to be dynamite out of the gate. I see the kid a lot and this post was to temper expectations. He can shoot but by no means is he a dangelo Harrison type. He's streaky. He will be a good 4 year player. He's 6'0 and very slight. Learning to control tempo, defend his position and make everybody around you better is very important. What if the gunner has a bad shooting night. Then how will he help us win? The big east is the big east.
Thx man

« Reply #618 on: November 22, 2015, 07:02:14 PM »
So now he is a 6'1 project? Dlo like a 38% fg shooter. Don't know many who were more streaky.

Chilleb

« Reply #619 on: November 22, 2015, 07:40:56 PM »
So now he is a 6'1 project? Dlo like a 38% fg shooter. Don't know many who were more streaky.
Who said project? All I said was let's be patient, he may not be instant impact. And dlo affected the game in many different ways. D'lo was 6'3 and had the heart of a lion from day 1. Just remember I do root for the same team as the rest of you.