Kostas Antetokounmpo SF Milwaukee Wisc

• 164 replies
Re: Kostas Antetokounmpo SF Milwaukee Wisc
« Reply #60 on: April 05, 2016, 12:34:55 AM »
Meaning that he only commits if we agree not to redshirt?

Wods317

« Reply #61 on: April 05, 2016, 12:38:31 AM »
I take it to mean if we want him he is ours but staff is waiting to see what there options are.

Marillac

« Reply #62 on: April 05, 2016, 01:08:01 AM »
My VERY clear understanding is that as soon as SJU makes a commitment to him( if they decide to do so)he will commit to them

Thanks 79. Any insight into the second half of that statement?

Staff is clearly waiting for Poison's approval.

paultzman

« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2016, 08:07:26 AM »
I take it to mean if we want him he is ours but staff is waiting to see what there options are.

Seems so. It should be noted again that Kostas was not targeted aggressively by his local school,Marquette, despite roster opening. It tells you he needs seasoning. In the old days he would be stashed in a prep school. With so much roster movement today, safer alternative seems to be redshirt route or just have him play minimally year one. Despite Kostas' upside, I can understand staff looking at all alternatives. We'll see soon enough.

Foad

« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2016, 08:39:15 AM »

Yeah, it was written by ee cummings

a commitment to him( if they decide to do so)he will commit to them

Poison

« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2016, 08:44:34 AM »

Yeah, it was written by ee cummings

a commitment to him( if they decide to do so)he will commit to them

This is St.John's. You were expecting Tolstoy?

Poison

« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2016, 08:45:56 AM »
My VERY clear understanding is that as soon as SJU makes a commitment to him( if they decide to do so)he will commit to them

Staff is clearly waiting for Poison's approval.

What's the matter buttercup? Itchy vag again?

« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2016, 12:28:08 PM »
There is a much better shot at landing him than I originally anticipated.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

derk

« Reply #68 on: April 05, 2016, 03:49:11 PM »
Is he 7 ' yet .

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #69 on: April 06, 2016, 01:19:46 AM »
I don't get what the hold up is. Since when are we in a position to turn away kids with his talent and potential?

Marillac

« Reply #70 on: April 06, 2016, 02:46:41 AM »
I don't get what the hold up is. Since when are we in a position to turn away kids with his talent and potential?

Perhaps the staff sees him as a bit redundant with Yakwe already on the roster and would prefer a more impact-ready transfer?  KA clearly has potential, but is a project.    Maybe there is some talk of redshirting or position expectations that need to be resolved. 

I don't think I'd want this kid if he is hellbent on being a SF.  The Sampson experience was too much, and his stats in high school are pretty terrible for a kid with his size and ranking (10.6 points 6.5 boards, 2.5 blocks).

He clearly doesn't have the same genetic freakish ability his brother has. 

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #71 on: April 06, 2016, 03:51:30 AM »

Perhaps the staff sees him as a bit redundant with Yakwe already on the roster and would prefer a more impact-ready transfer?  KA clearly has potential, but is a project.    Maybe there is some talk of redshirting or position expectations that need to be resolved. 

I don't think I'd want this kid if he is hellbent on being a SF.  The Sampson experience was too much, and his stats in high school are pretty terrible for a kid with his size and ranking (10.6 points 6.5 boards, 2.5 blocks).

He clearly doesn't have the same genetic freakish ability his brother has. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPfGBNsqWUY

He gets some pretty high praise from Giannis in this video lol.

I obviously don't think he will ever be on the level of the Greek Freak, but if he's even half as good he will be one hell of a college player.  I'd like to see the staff take a chance on him.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 03:53:59 AM by thetruth8734 »

« Reply #72 on: April 06, 2016, 07:40:51 AM »
I hear all these rumors but when are they actually going to visit SJU.

He is a top hundred recruit four star player and with height we should be jumping on him to visit

When is Simon going to visit

Foad

« Reply #73 on: April 06, 2016, 08:05:44 AM »
The Sampson experience was too much

Yeah, god forbid we get another kid who averages 12 and 6 for two years and then goes on to play in the NBA.

Poison

« Reply #74 on: April 06, 2016, 08:32:41 AM »
The biggest problem with Sampson was that from his freshman to his sophomore year he didn't get better. As is, he was a good player, and we'd be lucky to have another like him. But this staff is here because of the clear flaws we saw in the last one. Let this kid commit to us, and if he redshirts, the staff will have a great chance to show potential recruits that raw players improve with coaching.

Still, it's not all on the staff. The kid has to be a hard worker, and he has to listen. Lavin was far from a skillful game coach, but I seriously doubt he or anyone on the staff told Sampson to grab the rebound and dribble coast to coast whenever you feel like it. Without watching him in the NBA, I seriously doubt the Nuggets would give him a contract if he pulled that garbage in the league. Only Carmelo can pull that shit off and not get benched.

« Reply #75 on: April 06, 2016, 08:45:56 AM »
The biggest problem with Sampson was that from his freshman to his sophomore year he didn't get better. As is, he was a good player, and we'd be lucky to have another like him. But this staff is here because of the clear flaws we saw in the last one. Let this kid commit to us, and if he redshirts, the staff will have a great chance to show potential recruits that raw players improve with coaching.

Still, it's not all on the staff. The kid has to be a hard worker, and he has to listen. Lavin was far from a skillful game coach, but I seriously doubt he or anyone on the staff told Sampson to grab the rebound and dribble coast to coast whenever you feel like it. Without watching him in the NBA, I seriously doubt the Nuggets would give him a contract if he pulled that garbage in the league. Only Carmelo can pull that shit off and not get benched.

Biggest problem with Sampson was he played for Sampson not team. Can't have kids auditioning for next stage over winning.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Foad

« Reply #76 on: April 06, 2016, 08:46:49 AM »

Biggest problem with Sampson was he played for Sampson not team. Can't have kids auditioning for next stage over winning.

Yeah it was his fault the team lost, good point.

TONYD3

« Reply #77 on: April 06, 2016, 08:50:38 AM »
Addition by subtraction is joked about on here. But last years team was better without Sampson then with him.

Foad

« Reply #78 on: April 06, 2016, 08:56:19 AM »
Lavin was far from a skillful game coach, but I seriously doubt he or anyone on the staff told Sampson to grab the rebound and dribble coast to coast whenever you feel like

Maybe they said it to Pointer and Sampson misheard them.

Lavin was a garbage coach and Lavin's teams were garbage. Phil Greene was garbage for three years. Pointer was garbage for 3 plus years. Branch was garbage for four years. Sanchez stunk. Obekpa was a one dimensional psychopath. Polee, Amirovicowith, Jones, Gift, Balamou were at best ill used and at worst awful. Hooper and Bourgault were D2 stiffs.

Along with 2 or three other players (Jordan, Harrison, Harkless) Sampson wasn't garbage. Blaming Sampson for Lavin's failures or the team's failure is just nuts.   

Foad

« Reply #79 on: April 06, 2016, 09:02:25 AM »
Addition by subtraction is joked about on here. But last years team was better without Sampson then with him.

Zzzz. Teams that are one year older are almost always better than they were when they were one year younger. I thought you were a teacher? That's pedagogy in a nutshell, sixth graders are better at math than fifth graders, how'd you manage to miss that?